Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You want it badly enough to generate a strong immune response but not have any medium to severe symptoms of that immune response (which is why I say on average), the immune system is the one generating the symptoms by it's reaction to either the virus or part of the virus via the vaccine.

People (on here at least) tend to ignore any severe illness other than death when rating vaccine effectiveness.

This is just completely wrong. Your body doesn't use one immune system to neutralise vaccines and another to neutralise virus. What your immune system learns from fighting vaccine it uses to fight virus if it encounters it later. There is no magic behind this.

As you say, a global pandemic.

Perhaps it's best we concern ourselves with getting doses to low vaccination countries rather than using them all ourselves so we can go on a holiday to Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭bladespin

What's your medical qualification to say that?

Your immune system reacts to different things in different ways, the vaccine and the virus are not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

To answer the original question, yes, because I'm not a selfish moron.

I'm not a immunoligist. This is common knowledge. You would have learnt about germs, bacteria, viruses, fungi, anti-biotics and vaccines in Biology class.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don’t know what the latest number is but back in November over 500,000 vaccines were donated by the Irish people to the people of Nigeria.

we still need to look after ourselves though. That’s why we pay tax, to be the primary beneficiaries of help when we need it.

Well, seems you learned wrong: HSE's own guidance:

But different types of vaccine work in different ways.

Some types of vaccine contain a live virus. For example, the flu vaccine contains a small amount of the flu virus. But none of the COVID-19 vaccines in use have the COVID-19 virus in them. They work differently.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/get-the-vaccine/how-covid-19-vaccines-work/

Yes, different vaccines have different methods for exposing the immune system to the virus (deactivated virus, part of the virus, similar virus), the immune response is broadly similar in all cases (without going too technical which I believe would be a mistake to do here if you're confused with different types of vaccines vs. the immune response they generate).

• Advertisement

That link does nothing to prove your misguided belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

What are peoples experiences ringing pharmacies to book appointments for boosters? Much of a wait time?

No confusion here, go as technical as you like, the fact is you're just as likely to react to the carrier and not the actual vaccine as you are to the virus, it's hard to tell how you will react in either case yet alone make a sweeping statement that they're all handled in the same way by your immune system, though I will concede a strong immune system would handle all pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Anecdotally, people I know working in healthcare have said they are finding either they or their colleagues have had very strong reactions after the boosters. I haven’t heard same in people who are older (this makes sense as your immune system isn’t as effective as you age). This reaction they are experiencing is their body’s immune system in action. If those anecdotes turn out to be true and people are finding they are feeling sick after injection 3 it’s going to be a hard sell for injection 4.

I have a couple months left to decide about a booster and am on the fence so far. Be interesting to see where all this leads.

Post edited by mohawk on

Hearing similar stories, funnily enough the AZ pioneers seem to be less likely to need the booster than those who went with the others, purely hearsay though.

the fact is you're just as likely to react to the carrier and not the actual vaccine

This is just absolute baloney, quote sources for this (and not 1/100,000 cases) the "just as likely" scenario.

I think you misunderstood me, I didn't word it well tbh, a reaction could be anything, from mild discomfort to allergic reaction or shock, the most likely response to the vaccine is from the injection itself and not the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ooh, you got all your favourite miscreants in there, didn't you?!

I've felt equally under the weather for 48 hours after a shot with non-replicating viral and mRNA type vaccine. Bladespin is simply not correct. All Vaccines present to the immune system an object which on the surface looks like the real live full strength virus and it is the immune system fighting against the vaccine which is assumes to be a virus which makes you feel bad, not the vaccine.

I fear that people reading this thread may forego immunisation based on the information provided by that poster.

Better posting quality is demanded in the Soccer forum than here and Soccer is only a game where as for some infection is a matter of life or death.

And where did I state that that vaccines did not work this way??? The response was not about how they work, just how you can react.

Your fear is unfounded, I make and have made no comments against vaccination, anywhere on boards.

I stated that the virus and the vaccine/vaccines are different to each other and that your immune system will respond and react differently to each, prove this wrong please???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭gipi

Drogheda experience

I contacted one pharmacy yesterday, they had a waitlist of 100+ and no idea when they would have vaccines. They were referring people to the walk in clinic in Dundalk today ( where there was a 90 minute wait at 9.30am, 15 mins after they opened).

Went to a second this morning, was asked to register online for an appointment, which will be arranged in the new year.

Another poster in one of the covid threads mentioned that a chain of pharmacies in the town aren't offering boosters, despite being on the hse website.

Your posts are unhelpful. They serve to dissuade people from availing of vaccines which protect against serious illness. Behave more responsibly.

How is the injection itself causing a response? I'm guessing those practicing acupuncture better be informed of this new found knowledge.

And all the drug users, I bet they didn't know the needle was doing as much damage as the drugs all this time.

Allergies do happen very rarely, shock happens very rarely, the vast vast majority of times the reaction is the immune response reacting to the vaccine in a similar way to how it would react to the virus (without the potentially deadly side effects).

Is "reaction to injection" a thing being talked about? Man, those in the trials better be informed about those dangerous saline injections. Those with type 1 diabetes may as well give up as well as those taking a fertility course.

It's just a bizarre assertion to make.

What about nasal vaccines, what just as likely side effect do they have? I'm sure there's one being talked about wherever this information came from.

Again, you're misunderstanding my post, the most likely reaction to having the vaccination is a very minor skin irritation from the injection, that's the only reaction many will experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

West Kerry, one pharmacy said we'd be #70 on their list and they wouldn't know before Wednesday next whether they'd have enough doses by that Friday.

Rang another pharmacy, have an appointment for tomorrow. My thinking is that the pharmacy that could accommodate is newer and has better refrigeration facilities.

NB: same was mostly true 2 years ago with the flu jab - first pharmacy couldn't give us anything like a reasonable answer as to when the jab'd be available. Second one was, plenty, when do you want to come in.

I'd suggest calling around and not give up just because one pharmacy can't get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Feel free to take the pro-choice debate to the abortion thread. Covid is contagious, unlike pregnancy.

Are you talking about people who might have a dot of blood after injection as the wound heals? The "irritation" or swelling at the site is caused by the immune system reacting to the vaccine not the injection itself, that reaction would be the same (probably worse) if it was an injection of the virus, but for the virus will usually occur in the respiratory system rather than in a muscle on the arm.

The would is healed by coagulation of the blood, nothing to do with the immune system.

Either way, it sounds like your saying that most notable vaccine reactions will be a slight immune system response at the site of the injection, which is correct but also not something that anyone is ever concerned about (as most vaccinations occur this way).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This is potentially one of the 5Cs that feed hesitancy - convenience. If they really want people to get one the HSE/Donnelly/government need to stop pretending they are organised enough to fly through new age groups and just stop and do the ones that have been approved before now, many of whom would be in at risk categories. The whole walk-in strategy seems to have been planned by ten year olds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭sekiro

At some point trust in the vaccination program, and the corporations and government implementing it, gets strained. Two doses was supposed to be a game changer and it really was. For about 6 months. Now we are already back to discussing lockdowns etc. I think the nightclubs only managed to stay open for a month or two.

Given my age, and the statistics for people around my age, I begin to wonder if I just stick with being careful with social distancing and washing hands etc for now then would I even really ever need another covid jab? I've had my fun with travelling etc over the summer so maybe just self-impose restrictions on myself and see if I can ride this out

As I said, the only question for me now is whether or not I'll actually be forced into getting a 3rd dose somehow.

Trust in the system is almost completely gone, for me.

Just trust the government and these massive corporations? Nah.

OK well at least trust the data that is backed by that government and those corporations? Also nah.

The ball is in their court now. If they can successfully threaten my ability to work or feed myself and my family then I guess they win and I will take another dose. Hopefully it doesn't come to that and we won't have any kind of strict vaccine mandate in Ireland.

Advertisement