Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Me too. It’s not inconceivable that you could sell for as much as you paid right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yes we have been lucky any of us who got cars over the last year or two. Not just EV's but also small economical ICE cars. My son recently sold his first car (Not traded in), a 2018 1L Astra which he owned for 1 year, back to the trade (For convenience) for almost what he paid for it.

And my missus has traded in her 2017 Ioniq (She bought it second hand almost two years ago) for a new Ioniq 5 in January. Has cost very little for her two years ownership, one service for €99, no other costs apart from Tax, Insurance and cheap lecky. (Incl some of my free VW allocation..😉)

Can't see it lasting though once production gets back to normal...

I'm glad I bought when I did too, no regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

i dunno; great that it's not depreciating like a car normally would but part of me is tempted to get rid.

the efficiency is shocking at the moment. to give you an idea i drive about 180km a week if doing the normal commute.

i am having to charge the car (admittedly to 80%) as often as i had to charge the egolf - once a week. So i'm using about an extra 10kwh per week to do the same drive. and some part of that i can't even charge at night rate as the timer still don't work.

i saw a post from VW the other day about increasing range in the winter and to be honest i was mightily annoyed - drive in B mode, reduce cabin temp etc. stuff that would be reasonable 10yrs ago in a Leaf24 but not right now.

I think the battery heating will be fixed with v 3.0 which will require all my21 cars to get fitted with new hardware, free or not ? who knows but I wouldn't be expecting this until late 2022, they are finding it hard enough to get parts as it is and end of 2022 could be more realistic.

Luckily for me I'm not suffering too bad with efficiency considering the way I drive and the heat up 23 Deg most of the time.

Yesterday I left Blanch site 100% charge, drove home 100 M50, 100-110 N7 120 M7/M9 got home, this morning, no preheat, 130 Km/hr clock speed all the way on M9 from Carlow on ramp to M7/M9 merge then 110-120 all the way to the big ball where I did 110 most of the way to mad cow then 90-110 to the Blanch turn off.

Around 44% left after 170 odd kms, thought that was pretty good, yesterday was very windy going home.

Question is, will another EV be much better for you ? because I know it wouldn't for me, probably loose more in depreciation that I'd save in efficiency.

VW also need to improve fast charging, big time, it's unacceptable, in my opinion, in 2021 almost 22 to be charging at 50-60 Kw when you plug in at 37%, this is only 15 Kw - 25 Kw more than the 2015 Nissan leaf for God's sake! it really takes the shine of longer trips. But, it's just lucky for me I have the bigger battery, this can probably be fixed with firmware where as the battery heater would need firmware and hardware. Lucky fast charging is rare for me anyway.

Have to say though that I really like the car and if you have the range and range isn't an issue for you I would just enjoy the car because you might be equally as unhappy with another ev in the cold as all electrics suffer higher consumption in the cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Comer1

Hi, I charge every night up to 80% now in the winter to do my 120km return commute. I get home with about 36% whereas I was getting home with 47% in the summer. Doesn't bother me as the difference in cost is so little and I use that timer on the charger in the absence of a working timer on the car. The fact that night rate now starts at 11 means I could start it manually anyway. To put it into perspective, that extra 10kwh per week would cost me 89c on my current night rate. It's a lovely car, way nicer that the 182bhp Civic I replaced it with, and no more expensive for the Life model. Enjoy.

Yeah I get what you’re saying lads but coming from the egolf it’s just disappointing. when I first got the id3 I admitted to myself that the egolf was actually a nicer car in most ways. The difference was purely range. Winter has removed that advantage to some degree - though I’m assuming a longer spin to the in-laws would reveal the benefits of the car again.

As for improvements in software-well I’ve seen nothing to suggest that it will happen. The roll out of 2.3 was poor and ,again, they can’t even get the timers to work. (I’ve a dumb charger btw).

Would another ev be better for me? Even with low/no depreciation I’m not sure I can afford to change or accept whatever hit that would accrue. But I dunno? Maybe something Korean, they at least know how to make software work it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

So, today is the last day of my free We-charge plan. I phoned the helpline this morning to confirm, as I have a trip planned to Newbridge tomorrow and I normally use Ionity at Kill on the way home. So this afternoon, I said I'd fly down to the local 50kw charger and fill up.

As I arrived, there's an MG zs just leaving, but there's an ID3 waiting. The lady driver said she'd only be getting a quick top up to get her home to Offaly, so I waited and was speaking with her while she was charging. She has the same car as me,.. 1st edition plus, bought last December from a Dublin dealer who used it as a Demo. Well I have to say firstly, shame on the dealer for not giving her the we-charge card and the free charging credit, but also I couldn't believe how she is managing.

She uses on-street charging all the time, has no home charger, but uses easy-go paid charging in work.

No idea there's a grant available for installing a home charger, no knowledge of electricity prices and discounts available for switching providers and all the benefits of charging at home for very little compared to what she's paying at the moment.

I'd say she's probably paying as much as a diesel driver for her charging. I can't believe you'd go electric without the minimum of research first. Ignorance is bliss I guess. 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

What date last year did you get your car? Got mine on sept 21st, I have until dec 22nd to use up. About €40 remaining, don't think my home charger will get much use over the next two weeks....☺️

Collected the car on the 9th of September 2020. The 1st one delivered in Dublin. There was one in Galway delivered the day before. Volkswagen went ape-**** as they had an embargo until they officially delivered the first ones in Germany. 😁

Chris from battery life wasn't too impressed with me, although he's gotten over it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I have until 26th of Dec to use up €10.44 or 27kWh:)

The range would be a lot more than the E-Golf so I'd hang on to it, what would you get, the Ioniq 5 ? it from what I've read has a good bit higher consumption on longer trips than the id.3, probably charges faster for now at least on the fast charger though that could change too if VW get to grips with the poor fast charging speed, it's definitely a disappointment.

I don't think you need to be worried about the efficiency on those trips you have plenty of range. Lets see what 2022 brings but for now, any change you make, depreciation would wipe out any efficiency gain you might make over another EV and take many years to recoups so I personally wouldn't do it until it's time to change and even then, will you need to if it meets all your needs ?

I'm delighted with the range of the 77 Kwh, in reality the 58 Kwh would do me for most of my driving but it's on longer trips like I did to Galway at the weekend that really made me appreciate the range of the larger battery, kind of makes up for the awfully slow charging, 35 mins to get 28 Kwh on an ESB 150 Kw is an absolute joke but hopefully they improve this. The other benefit of having the 77 Kwh is that I can get a lot of Kwh from the work charge point and use it when not back at that 11 Kw charger and use the granny charger on the other site, some weeks I don't even charge at home for around 850 Kms a week, sometimes more. Have 7,100 Kms on it since the middle of October.

On the way to work today I got the software update message, couldn't update as I was driving, I don't know whether it just flashed up or whether I pressed on something when going through the menus.

Got to work, security lad wouldn't open the gate and made me get out to buzz in and as soon as I opened the door, bang, update gone not to be found anywhere now. Kind of infuriating waiting since mid October , nearly 2 months and just gone in a flash like this, can't update at home because I have little to no signal.

You'd think that once the car in on the list to get updated that it would be a simple matter of checking for updates ? oh no, not VW, will probably have to wait many weeks again, it really is infuriating especially since it's a new car and the software update was out a long time before I got the car you'd think they would have the latest software on the car at the time of shipping ? disaster.

i assume you've done the 'turn the car on and don't engage drive' trick? look at your navigation screen, wait for your suggested destinations to turn green - this tells you that you're connected and receiving data on your 4G.

then look for your notifications and if it's still not there go into settings and software and look around there too.

and obviously don't install until you're back home!

look it, i you're kind of right - the cost of changing negates any advantage.

but when the brand new car is significantly less efficient than the older model then something is not right. especially given that the egolf was just a golf with some batteries chucked in as an after thought!

the timers thing really, really annoys me too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I much prefer the eGolf to my ID3, I had the executive edition eGolf and Business edition ID3.

Just a nicer car to drive. I really miss the leather seats too as the cloth in the ID3 are impossible to keep clean. Also mine was the last of the business to be sold without alloys. The range does make up for this though and I'm generally happy I changed.

Am a bit disappointed in the massive drop in range with the ID3 now though - 420 summer to 260kms winter is too big a drop , the eGolf only dropped 90kms in winter.

Last night I had to go to galway leving with a full battery, quick stop down there and then back home. Stopped in the Galway plaza on the way home to get the kids supermacs so plugged into the High power charger and only got 44.9kW - my battery was at 30% and it was 6 degress out.

One last observation - am at 20k kms now and the rear tyres are shot, down at the wear indicators already. Tyres can't be got off the shelf anywhere and need to be ordered in so won't have mine until thursday at the earliest.

Had another issue last sunday too, not ID3 specific, but for those of us who don't have a spare wheel. I got a puncture in Galway last sunday night - a damm allen key of all things. Because the hole was so big the puncture repair kit wouldn't fix it so had to call recovery. VW fair play to them wanted to recover the car and drop it to local VW garage and give me a hire car to get home but their partners, enterprise, had none to spare (in Galway city???) so they were organising a taxi home for us. In the end i called a 24hr repair guy and paid the €140 to get the tyre plugged to save all the messing around and get herself and the kids home. A space saver is on my shopping list now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

One last observation - am at 20k kms now and the rear tyres are shot, down at the wear indicators already. Tyres can't be got off the shelf anywhere and need to be ordered in so won't have mine until thursday at the earliest.

Did you purchase the L service plan? If not, you should. It will be significantly cheaper now that you need a set of tyres before the first service.

For €648 you'll get 4 tyres and the full service at the 2yr mark which includes wipers, brake fluid change and cabin filter.... all for €648..... the tyres on their own will cost you more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

If anyone finds an appropriate space saver, let me know.

I had a puncture a few weeks back. Fortunately the spray was able to sort it and get me home but I'd prefer a space saver especially for a long trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I'm a bit baffled by all the charging cards/programmes. There's eCars, WeCharge, EasyGo, Ionity and probably a few others. For someone who is mostly going to be charging at home and at work, what's a good option? I probably wouldn't want any kind of subscription plan because I've got the home/work chargers.

• Advertisement

E-Cars is the ESB network. We-charge is the card that came with the ID3 / ID4. Easy-go is a privately operated network of chargers, you can use an App,or a fob to start their chargers, lots are free,(in Lidl for example) and Ionity is a high powered network, part owned by Volkswagen and Kia. Handy for fast charging on the motorway but expensive.

Most of us would definitely have the ESB one and Easy-go is a no-brainer. All have pay-as you go plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

On the space savers make sure you get the right one seen a picture on Facebook recently where someone put on any space saver and drove for a bit and realised something wasn't right. The wheel had rubbed up against the brake calliper so it was ruined. Expensive mistake new calliper, pads and then also the proper space saver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

The WeCharge card will work on Ionity and ecars. For me that covers any time I have ever needed to charge away from home, which is not often.

Not everyone even knows about we-charge. Some dealers don't give them to customers with new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Should I be expecting a WE-charge card with a 22 car ?

I know they did offer free charge credit to those who bought the 1st id3’s- but once that credit is gone is the WE-charge card any good to you?

To use Easy-Go on IONITY you have to be pre-pay and load up the account to over €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

I never looked into we charge and don’t have a card. From what I know it might be convenient if travelling abroad?

for those unhappy with Id.3 and I’m very happy - there’s very little else in that segment imo. Kona is too small, soul boot is too small, e-niro is very plain looking, and the ioniq5 and ev6 are massive cars. The MG estate is one Id maybe look at. And the new megane.

The garage I bought my car hadn't a clue about it!!

From what i found out a Mk7 golf or certain Tiguan space savers work.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

I'm just thinking of buying a road wheel rather than space saver. A bit bulky but not great weight difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Comer1

I bought this wheel and it works perfectly but you need a 3mm spacer so that it clears the front callipers. The spacers came in a pair so if you get the wheel, pm your address and I'll send you on the extra one I have.

Advertisement