Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And it's not for the council to plan on behalf of Supervalu. Supervalu have never submitted an application to make any sort of amendment to the layout. Its for them to do, not the council.

They have the same access as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

As has been seen with numerous cycling infrastructure projects, a lot of people seem to think it is the council's job to drop in for a cup of tea and personally explain on a one to one basis the plans to everyone in the vicinity (or anywhere else in the country) before proceeding with any changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,382 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They did address it - they put up wands to protect the mandatory cycle lane FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Is there a reason that the delivery truck can't just stick on the flashers for a few mins and stay in lane?

It's a dashed white line, so any other road users can legally and safely pass them by.

oh... wait.... it would be unthinkable to block a 'road' to traffic. Yet illegally blocking another route for 'lesser' traffic is ok?

I'd say if there wasn't so much path furniture along there, you'd be saying it's grand for him to pull up on the pavement, sure the pedestrians can walk around. The subtle hard pressed motorist cant be inconvencied prejeduce shines again!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trudee

Obviously not addressed if delivery trucks can't unload because of wands. No solution to a problem that is not going away means not addressed in my book.

• Advertisement

The issue of delivery trucks and cycle lanes is across the city so argue all you like about illegal parking until a solution/compromise is found this is not going away anytime soon. I cycle to and from work every day and come across delivery trucks and construction trucks parked on cycle path, it's a fact of life, in most cases I don't see any other way for these trucks to go about their business without parking in cycle path but maybe you all live in areas where there are alternatives.

Maybe you need to re-read the responses above if you still can't see other ways for deliveries to be made. It might help if you change the way you look at this situation, ie. the cycles lanes are not "the problem".

Until somebody who actually works in Transport with Musgraves posts then I'll reserve judgement on the responses. I don't recall saying cycle lanes are 'the problem' again another case of reading into a post what you want to read into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

For someone who cycles to and from work everyday you have a very benign attitude to the cycle lanes being blocked. I am not in the same situation but if I were still cycling to work every day and everyday my way was blocked I would certainly be making some representations about it.

Correct, I do have a benign attitude to cycle lanes being blocked by delivery trucks and construction trucks and even by taxis if they are stopping to pick up or drop off passengers, there you go, in my book it's part and parcel of living in a city and no I don't feel in any way inclined to make representations about delivery trucks outside Supervalu or wherever but each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

It's part and parcel of Dublin where enforcement is zero. It's not part and parcel in any normal progressive liveable city. The acceptance of it is a symptom of Stockholm Syndrome on your part, it does not have to be this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I've been to many of these so-called liveable, progressive cities. They bored the arse off me.

I'm not saying Dublin couldn't handle improved cycling priority, but many who are advocating throwing the baby out with the bathwater are putting Dublin's unique character at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,382 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Putting unique character at risk by enforcing road traffic laws? Give me a feckin break.

Dublin's "unique character" has been long since lost with absolute shite developers and urban planners being let loose on it, and ripping what made it unique out over decades. Efforts being made to make it a more liveable place are only good, but instead we get endless shite hotels, co-living spaces, rental boxes, convenience stores and stuff. That's all unique I guess.

Dublin city centre is well beyond saturation point in terms of vehicular traffic. It is a small city by most standards. Walking from one side of the canal cordon to the other is very doable for most adults, yet still people think they must do it by car. It's the only way for many, and they're the very ones who complain about delays and how long everything takes.

Why people seem so tied to an expensive, woefully inefficient and unhealthy mode of transport for small journeys is utterly mental

that's a lame attempt at shutting it down and going lalalala i'm not listening.

There is an alternative, literally across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

That reminds me of some guy who said that Copenhagen was boring because the buses ran on time. Yeah, waiting for a bus is really exciting.

Dublin's "unique character"? Yeah, the sh1tty broken roads and footpaths, the relentless traffic noise, the cars absolutely f*king everywhere all the f*king time, that's Dublin's "unique character".

Dublin could have been a lovely city, but it's a kip and will be a kip (possibly a submerged kip) when our grandchildren are dust.

I prefer to get information from sources who are actually involved in the disciplines they are talking about otherwise everyone is an ‘expert’.

In relation to your second retort - the loading bay across road is not a viable ‘alternative’ for Musgrave truck deliveries to Supervalu Ranelagh.

What many people (including some of those who cycle) often fail to grasp is that one of the primary reasons we need safe cycling infrastructure is to encourage / allow those who are less confident and / or are more vulnerable, to cycle from A to B safely. Whilst I might be more than happy and confident to cycle on busy roads with no lanes or to pull out into the middle of the road to go around delivery trucks in bike lanes, it proves a major deterent to those who haven't been cycling for the same number of years as me.

In summary, it's not all about you....or me.

They don't deliver by boat or plane either because there isn't appropriate infrastructure for them. Same applies to the large trucks, if only there was such a thing as smaller delivery trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They can just stop in the main traffic lane for their deliveries. Vehicular traffic can just go round, and they just need to take care when crossing the bike lane with their trolley.

Or they can use a large van or small truck that can fit through the archway to their loading dock at the rear.

Either way, it is Supervalu's problem to solve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and that again plays back into the notion that it's OK to inconvenience cyclists by blocking their lane, but a truck parking in the 'car' lane instead to unload, would very possibly draw garda attention.

• Advertisement

Groundhog Day

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Wasn't it yourself that posted details of the I Bike Dublin bike lane protection events at that location? It's been an issue for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

One thing I don't get is that just a few years ago the council were reducing the hours of bike lanes (eg Sandford Rd went from 24 hour to certain times). Now we have the wands but in a lot of cases the hours are still not 24x7.

Is there a reason for this?

Edit: appreciate that outside Supervalu is 24x7, but most other locations do not have updated signage.

It absolutely is for their fleet of 50 trucks that you'd fit 2 of in their.

If youre going to quickly try and shut down stuff with waiting for an expert, then you shouldnt be post unsubstantied nonsense and make claims based on what are feelings and no more really

No idea what you are asserting when you say I post ‘unsubstantied’ (sic) nonsense and ‘make claims based on what are feelings and no more really’ but neither am I going to spend too much energy or time giving above any credence or thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I got the distinct impression that after the wands went in members of staff there, probably on their own initiative, took to social media to defend the destruction of the wands. Some passionate defence, followed by deletion of tweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

On a road with no footpath yes you need to face oncoming traffic. Not in a public park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

In fairness you can't beat the thrill and exhilaration of being forced out of the cycle path in front of a following car and wondering about what sort of person the driver of the 2 tonnes of metal behind you is.

Are they a mentally stable person who will treat you sympathetically?

Or an angry frazzled NewsTalk listener who thinks you're not paying your way on the road and is going to start blasting their horn at you?

Or a borderline psychopath who will speed up and drive on on top of your back wheel to teach you a lesson for being in the way ?

Everyday is different!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Have to say, the rule about facing oncoming traffic when walking is sometimes inappropriate. When you're approaching a blind bend that veers away to the right, you're better off to switch to the other side until you're round the corner. In my experience anyway.

Advertisement