Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I agree speedline. I see lite difference in flags on lampposts and Irish signs on roads. Only difference around my area is that the community put the flags up themselves at their own cost while the Irish signs are put up and paid for by the Sinn Fein council

I don’t think they did. This is how negotiations work (ih of course there are no negotiations). The Eu didn’t cave in. They have just agreed to change their laws to facilitate free movement of some items from gb to ni that couldn’t move before the negotiations (that are not happening) started

Speedline just explained. It’s all about marking territory

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

I said no such thing. Don't try to put words in my mouth.

I apologise. I assumed that was what you meant when you equated my comments on Irish language signs with the flying of flags. Maybe you could clarify what you did mean?

and apologies again for misinterpreting

• Advertisement

I said you could say the same about flags. I didn't say it was my position on it.

How would the placing of road signs be marking territory, when they are placed everywhere? Is that what Welsh people do when they put dual language road signs up? Are they marking territory too?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

What country are you living in CJ? A couple of weeks ago I walked by a secondary school near where my folks' home is and noticed about one in five of the students appeared to be Black/Asian or other ethnic minority, and that's just the ones you can tell by appearance. I presume that these lads are happy to call themselves Irish-Indian, Irish-Nigerian, Irish-Polish, Irish-Italian and whatever you're having yourself.

You're mistaking 'British-identifying' with Irish-hating, not-an-inch, Ulster is British, no surrender, unionism. Now if you have some ideas as to how to appease people like that then I'd like to hear them, if just for the lols.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

I don't think it's reasonable to compare Irish-Polish with Irish-British. That's a false equivalency. it ignores an active anti-British element to historical and current Irish identities.

The "Irish-hating" is exactly my point - what way have we defined being Irish that they are at the point where they feel that to identify as British means they must exclude themselves from an Irish identity? See above about my opinions on the attitude that inclusion means appeasement. In fact even the use of that word in this context is corrosive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Is there any country in the world outside Britain where the British would feel as at home as Ireland? We watch British TV, we follow the exploits of British soccer clubs, we speak English, we are familiar to the British having been prominent in British entertainment for generations and so on. If there's an anti-British element in Ireland then it's doing truly terrible job of dissuading the 200,000 British people who've settled here in the last couple of decades.

When you mention anti-British what you mean is anti-colonial, anti-supremacist, anti-Rule Britannia, and oh yes, of that I'm proud of Ireland, it's the main reason we're not ruled by utter bastards like Jacob Rees Mogg, Boris Johnson, 'Lord' Frosty and don't have a 'Royal' as head of state.

They are not placed everywhere. I’m my council area there is a poll on each road. Majority wins. Most nationalists don’t care and don’t vote. eg my road 30 households. 5 unionist 25 nationalist. Vote was 6:5 in favour of nationalists. So the 6 hardline republican households won, but they haven’t got their sign yet as I have asked some questions about the process.

bottom line is if you see an Irish road sign in my area it means the road is at least 70% republican

Hence marking territory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

This has been explained to you already, yet you keep ignoring it for some silly attempt to try and blame Irish people for the dislike Unionists have for Ireland. As I said, if you think that is incorrect, why don't you ask Downcow why their ancestors went from being pro Republic to hardline Unionists in the space of about 50 years at a point in our history when Catholics had practically no say in the running of Ireland.

edit. . I thought better of it. I am not going to refer to senior ni politicians as sectarian murdering bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Makes no difference where he is from. St George the patron saint of the English was from Turkey? St Andrew the patron Saint of the Scotish was from the holy land. The patron Saint of a nation does not have to be from where that nation live. The fact is Patrick is the patron Saint of the Irish. Which includes northern/ southern/western or any other adjective you want to put in front of Irish.

How did I miss this? The British International Trade Secretary is a Ms Trevalyan......wonder does she have any corn?

UK warns US of retaliation over steel tariffs - BBC News

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Some thing never change, still not answering questions

• Registered Users Posts: 69,155 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Why would it be Irish people's fault.

No amount of reaching out to this British only/belligerent Unionism works.

Look at FG, applauding them at their party conference, next minute they are hating on the FG leader.

They bite every hand that feeds them or dares to spell out the reality of their situation.

Well there you go making my point for me. When you're talking about Irishness you're talking about being in our country, so that immediately is excluding Irish people who live in the British part of this island. Your pride in Ireland is not what i'm concerns me, it's the fact that you're awarding the country of Ireland exclusive domain of the Irish identity.

Your final point really reads like you're saying Irish people equate Britishness with colonialism and supremacism, if you're also giving that impression to "British-only" unionists you can hardly be surprised at them rejecting an Irish identity.

FFS Jack...he made it quite clear that it is parts of Britishness that is the problem.

Again i don't care about blame, nor about Downcows ancestors - though how you expect him to answer for their motivations I've no idea.

You also have not in anyway addressed my point, in fact you couldn't possibly both answer my question about the British-excluding nature of the accepted view of Irish identity and in the same breath say i'm trying to "blame Irish people for the dislike Unionists have for Ireland". It's just not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Nope, I've actually been an active part of trying to have that banned Downcow. It is f*cking barbaric and I will happily condemn it....and if we were discussing unification with Spain, I sure as sh*t wouldn't be arguing that we should encourage or take part in it to make the Spanish feel comfortable.

But even if I WAS ok with it.....how the f*ck is that relevant beyond blatant whataboutery?!

• Advertisement

Hardline Unionist mindsets have not changed in 150 years and if you want to try and figure out that mindset, you have to look at their past. Lets compare Northern Unionists with Protestants who stayed in the South after partition. You think that before partition, their mindset was any different from their Northern brethern? No, but your average Protestant in the Republic now pretty much view themselves as being Irish. How did that happen if it was the Irish identity that was the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

What will wee jeffy do now, thought this was a red issue? Wouldn't fancy being a bus driver this weekend.

Exactly. In the South they went from being British-Irish to Irish. that supports my position not yours. Now if you pointed to communities who maintained their British-Irish culture in the South to this day, you could then contrast them to "British-only" Unionists in the North and point a finger. Instead you're showing that in the south there was no place for Britishness in the Irish identity so the British-Irish adopted the an "Irish-only" identity. In the north where they had other options a small subset of the British Irish adopted a "British-only" identity. The currently accepted view of being Irish excludes them, you've yet to show me an example of how it does not. Instead many of you just tell me why they should be excluded, or that they are deciding to exclude themselves.

I also disagree that we need to look at their past to understand them, I think we'd be better served looking at our present and planning our future together.

You're tying yourself in knots Jack. I am not aware of anyone in the south that has an issue with Britishness, and 1000's of British people live and work here without issue.

And yet the majority of Catholics who have been living in NI still do not regards themselves as British. What is the difference between Irish Protestants and Northern Irish Catholics. Why did one group adopt and the other not?

The OO was never banned in the Republic yet has faded away to nothing? Again, why?

Probably only a coincidence that Biden was turning the screw on them over the last week.

There are enough distractions to give concessions unnoticed.

I don't follow your logic here. You said that because British-Irish communities in the South almost completely lost their British identity to accommodate an Irish identity, that shows the Irish identity is inclusive of British-Irish people. But you're also saying that British-Irish Catholics in the North who also gave up their British Identity to adopt an Irish one proves that the Irish Identity is inclusive of Britishness. That doesn't follow man, it proves the opposite, which is my point.

You also seem to be saying that British identity is exclusionary to Irish Catholicism, which may be true for all I know, it's not something that concerns me as i'm not British and i'm not responsible for defining Britishness.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with anyone retaining their British identity, be that passports or travel rights or anything else, in the event of a UI.

• Advertisement

Months wasted on the role of the ECJ and then it's dropped to focus on practical solutions. Why wouldn't practicality be the focus from the start.

Advertisement