Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What single factor is there to see a price drop in March or April next year? Not even a small one.

Gas is already locked in for Spring and it's not at rates that encourage factories to open up production.

There is not even one, they are there for later in the year.

I had my lime man saying the same thing about drops in April.

India is paying whatever it takes to secure fertilizer.

It will come down next Summer, price drops in inputs for then are starting to appear. China has said it will open up exports in the Summer, it's by far the biggest fertilizer producer in the world.

It won't be next year that we see prices like last Spring.

Have your plan B in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

Always pay every month myself. We're all paying extra for the guys that are slow or that refuse to pay their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Bang on …fertiliser will be at simillar or higher prices than now till at least next summer …like u said due to gas

Everything that could drive up Fertilizer globally has happened the last few months.

Just to get global levels back to normal levels is going to be a challenge.

Urea for Quarter 1 2022 is up 30 dollars a tonne on last few days prices in America.

Lads who sell and buy it on a continental level, a global level are pointing ☝️.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭straight

An agent told me yesterday he has CAN for 690. He thinks it could go a bit higher. At least it'll be available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

How much of your fertilizer requirements are you going to buy

Simple answer as much as I can …emphasis firstly will Be on securing winter 22 feed …grazing ground for cows will be sprinkles little and often and hope the bit of mss and clover in will save some chemical n ….I’m fully expecting high prices till June …bulk of years fertiliser is out by then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Let say alot of lads hold out till March/April, and there's talk of prices coming down. You don't think merchants will start to panic.. balls in our courts lads/lasses

The merchants are a rounding error in this, they will sell it back internationally.

They aren't going to buy dear and be panicked into selling cheap when the world's biggest Fertlilizer market in Asia is well short and Governments there are paying whatever it takes.

Compared to much of the world, Fertlilizer can still be bought here at cheaper rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Your prob right, I won't at the moment as I have some secured earlier. It will be interesting..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

You realise merchant's aren't buying, the reason they're not buying is in case it drops per ton leaving them stuck with product they can't sell because you can get it down the road cheaper from the merchant that held out for lower prices, are lads really not understanding this.

Goulding yara and grassland have yards full of fertiliser with no one drawing, I deliver feed to farmers, co-ops etc and this time of year I'd have a back load of fert 3 or 4 times a week, I haven't done 1 load yet, because the merchants aren't buying it, what you'll see is merchants Demanding cash on delivery and getting the loads as they're needed, no one will be stock piling it on yards like previously

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Strange the co-ops aren't getting a least some of it drew in, for logistics if noting else, do they not foresee huge issues getting it all drew in the spring with lorries in short supply

Have you bought in what you need just in case it can't be got in the spring ?

Yeah have 40% of next years fert in yard/bought for next year as is, paid more for the last 10 ton of sulfa can i bought 2 weeks ago , then a artic load bought in jan 2021 made up of a 18 ton load of 18:6:12 plus s plus 10 ton of sulfa can

You're one of the very few buying at the moment, it will be bought but lads will put it off as long as possible to see if it drops, I'm in and out of farmers yards a good bit and lads are going to wait but eventually they'll have to buy when it won't drop, so maybe you're doing the right thing getting it in now and being prepared

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ginger22

Seems incredible the Coops arent buying, its not as if they are short of money after holding back 2 cents off the price of milk all year. Would thing they would be getting worried about their milk supply next year with ration and fertilizer prices the way they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It probably the financial figures. 10k tons of mixed product is 7 million. 100k tons 70 million.

You want to be sure your customers pay up

Slava Ukrainii

Exactly ….no one including merchants want to over commit at current prices and will be just about buying as orders come in …..I’m not hearing of huge issues getting product atm but credit terms are strict and prices only valid till a date ….no panic re supply I think till March when bulk of product is sold and lads start to spread …personally I think it’s madness holding out till February /March in the hope prices will soften …I don’t see it and supply also could get tricky .

It's a simple case of lack of funds I'd say and maybe waiting till January for the new tax year, the status quo of buying in Jan/Feb half your supply paying it off over the summer months is a non-runner, the great stories been told by the banks and teagasc that record profits made this year and lower overdrafts mean access to finance isn't really a issue is a tall tale I reckon, simply when you do the maths on landing a artic load of fertilizer in the yard you need to have circa 25k to cover it, for bigger operators multiple this by 3 plus and your talking six figure sums of money

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭893bet

Not a big user as low stocking rate so Buying none. Hoping for an early spring to spare the winter feed and have a small buffer left over for next year. Have a decent shed of hay as a silage buffer also. Tried over the last 2 years to increase sucklers numbers but failed luckily due to a combination of calf losses during birth, after birth, and a heifer slipping late on also.

I had been getting a very cheap ration at 240 a tonne……it went up 50 a tonne last week….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

The pinch point is supply of fertiliser at the moment. This has arisen due to the price of gas and supply chains being disrupted. Personally I feel that this issue won't be resolved until later next year, from may June on. What fertiliser to be used next spring is made. It's utter madness at this stage to be holding out until march for a price drop.

It's now time for farmers to sit down and make a plan for the first half of next year on what they really need and can afford at the current price. Put the head in the sand and hoping for a price drop is madness.

I'm a beef farmer and my fertiliser purchases for the year are mainly for 1st cut. I have some CAN left over and have picked up some urea 3 weeks ago at €890/tone. 10 ton would see me very comfortable in any year. Will work this year with 7-8 ton, as there is a serious wedge of fodder gathered over the past 2 years. Making better use of slurry, with a little and often approach.

This price flux may serve as a means for all farmers to re-evaluate the business. The drive for output, is a tricky one as it is influenced greatly by swings in inputs. A 10% reduction in output could serve us greatly as it would reduce the pressure on inputs by a greater factor than % thus leaving more profit. It's about finding a sweet spot that suits the farm, with pressures that arise be it feed, fert, weather etc

Everyone has to cut their cloth to measure and just get on with it. Plan for the worse and hope for the best. The only factors we can control is what goes on inside our own farmgate.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Would be a great time to leave the artificial fertilizer with the Merchant and try the Organic farming route. imho these high prices are here to stay for much longer than 12 months. It would take at least 3-5 years before an equilibrium is found again. Over the next 18 months you'll see a lot of Governments and big farm grabbing available fertilizer which will drive prices even higher.

The Government is currently going to compensate every households ESB by 100 euro because of Energy prices. idk how they are going to compensate those households when food prices rise and there are shortages in parts of the world. It'll make for more panic buying of fertilizers in these countries

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Deub

Instead of waiting next year to see if prices drop, another option would be to buy a little bit every month (if you need 100% of fert in 5 month time, you buy 20% per month). You may nit get it at the lowest price but you won’t get it at the highest neither but at least you are not opened to big trouble if prices increase in spring or there are no supplies.

If you absolutely need fert, waiting next year to see if price decreases to buy all you need looks like gambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Farmers wouldn't mind paying the extra for the fertilizer if ya could be sure that you'd be paid for your produce. Which, as we all know is unlikely.

Ourselves here probably won't buy any next year. Don't usually buy a lot anyway, maybe 10 ton. Will just spread slurry and take what we get.

Even if there was no global fertilizer problem, most lads in Ireland and probably Europe going to buy at the same time of year causes its own problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ginger22

one would think Coops would be thinking of security of next years milk supply. Very short sighted. They would want to pull their finger out and secure stocks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Lads need to look within. Project your output and income and see how it pans out with current input prices and then make a call on it and forget about it. Running a business and making decisions involves managing different risks and scenarios and this is one of em.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

80% of Irish famers are over 55, the over 65s are the largest proportion of farmers now at nearly 45% I think the next census will see these ages go even higher. So just like in the Marts there will be a Silver haired army with plenty Silver dollars to buy the Fertilizer at whatever costs. Profit margins mean nothing to these folks. It's the minority of younger farmers who are in the quagmire and have tough decisions to make

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The catch is that there's a bit more to organic farming than just not sticking a bit of bag manure out ( well that will work if your sticking rate is low enough) ..

But - if you plan it right you could minimise your fertilizer use during the year - if you're looking at a decent (conventional farming ) clover system then pretty much all the nitrogen you're going to use is going to be in the spring ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭amacca

Will lads have to buy given one of the actions for the eco payment in 2023 is reduce your nitrogen below what you used in 2022

You decide not to buy then that action would be off the table?

Advertisement