Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,331 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

6 month mandatory wait + 18 month pandemic (so far) = 2 years

Farcical that bike tests were suspended in the first place as they were zero risk. Then only available for "essential workers" and still, afaik, with very limited availability and long waiting times.

Some got an IBT extension while others didn't and it appears to be entirely arbitrary.

What's so different about an IBT that it expires after 2 years when a test pass lasts for life?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I know you'd to wait the 6 months min either way but didn't you use to be able to apply for the test before the 6 months were up so you'd be able to take it as soon as possible and on the other end as long as the IBT was valid on the day you were good but now the automated system screws you at both ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

Incorrect - all of the test centres have no availability when you try to book and your only option is to join the waiting list which I did months ago. I have seen one lad on this forum who was waiting over a year to be called because the amount of tests being done is way below the backlog of people looking for them. Fortunately he passed and is out of this roundabout of expiration dates.

In "normal" times I'd agree, I should have sorted it within the 2 years you must have noticed from your ivory tower that things have not been normal for over 18 months now. For the record, I had been riding regularly up to the point I could legally do so when my permit expired in August so I don't believe my skills such as they are disappeared overnight when the IBT expired shortly after that in September. Still waiting on the renewed permit so have been stuck at home since.

I am am struggling to understand how you believe 2 years is enough for me (Sept 19 IBT) in the current circumstances but are fine with someone who did IBT in June 19 having it valid for 3 years to June 22. Like I said arbitrary extensions that are unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ivory Tower. Lol dont speculate on my tower, it's made from stone. Ivory is an inferior building material.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

• Advertisement

Wrong because you didn't apply for the test or.. Wrong that's its smarter to get your test sorted ASAP when your skills after ibt are fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Acquiescence

Have you asked to be put on the short notice list?

I asked to be put on the short notice list mid 2020 once my 6 months were up. Got a test within 6 or 8 weeks.

I didn't apply for the test immediately after getting IBT. I applied 8 months after passing. I have waiting since.

Not exactly having a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

I booked my Test as soon as I finished the IBT too, managed to get one of the tests mid pandemic thankfully, but I had to swap my original test centre to one I knew was operating the tests as I was asking around.

I'd have travelled across the country to get the test done tbh as the full license meant I'm able to drive bikes I don't own (mainly my Dad's) plus use the motorway and travel outside of the country.

Is there still the massive backlog of tests at the moment or have they started gradually getting through it

Seems to be moving now but I applied in July 2020 and only got an invitation two weeks ago

• Advertisement

Thats **** shite, how are they doing it btw? Might be as well to ask about other test locations too, not just the county your in.

When I was waiting on mmine, they only had Tallaght down, so I rang and asked about a different station on the otherside of Dublin and got a date within a week of doing that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭horse7

Post edited by horse7 on

Best notification all day xD

Post edited by horse7 at 9:47AM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I got my IBT completed on 13/3/20, and have had my full licence about 7 months now and that's including a non conducted test doe to poxy earphones. Seems it depends where you are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

Been waiting since August for renewed permit - 8 unanswered emails and an hour wasted on the phone over last 3 months was getting nowhere so filed a complaint with RSA (https://www.rsa.ie/help-support/make-a-complaint) as NDLS site doesn't have any information on where to complain. I asked and the answer was send it to the same info@ndls.ie address that wasn't getting any hop to begin with.

24 hours later and I get an email from NDLS that magically my application is now approved and are proceeding to issue permit. Could be a coincidence but I doubt it. It's so sh1t that nothing seems to get done without a complaint. Might have it by Christmas... 😏

UPDATE - A lovely lady from the RSA rang me to say she had rang the NDLS and the permit would be issued in the next few days so that confirms that it does in fact take complaining to the RSA to get the NDLS to do their job. Jokeshop.

Post edited by enrique66_35 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭omerin

This doesn't effect me but putting it out there, if there was a change in circumstances which now involved a round trip commute 5 days a week of 70km, (some 120kph) don't want to use your current bike to rack up high milage on the Sunday best, what would you consider -

Sell bike and get something new or new to you GS/AT as an all rounder .... but a few months after live to regret selling

Get a 2nd bike, would it be lowish/mid cc, new/old, maybe a decent classic that you've always wanted but before couldn't justify a 2nd bike. Then after a few months realise the pride and joy isn't being ridden enough and wonder what you are doing with 2 bikes 😀

Or sell the bike and just buy a car lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

35km each way is tiny tbh. I did 68km each way. What mileage are you specifically saving the bike from....

I also do find it odd why people want to save miles for the next person. It's your bike. Drive it and enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I’ve a 14 yr old Deauville. About 19k miles when I bought her 18 months ago. We went through 25 last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ride the wheels off it, if its a BMW then that may be literally what happens, but in all seriousness, a bike ridden is better than a bike rotting away in a shed.

• Advertisement

The Government is to fund scrambler and quad bike tracks in a bid to reduce antisocial behaviour by young bike users in Dublin and Limerick.

Just under €200,000 of funding is being made available to eight initiatives which will provide training in bike skills as well as maintenance and safety.

“Not everyone will agree or think it’s a good idea. Personally I do. But with that needs to come the legislation and the enforcement,” said Andrew O’Byrne of the Moyross Development Company in Limerick, one of the main beneficiaries of the Department of Justice funds.

The money is part of a carrot-and-stick approach from the department, Minister of State for Law Reform James Browne told The Irish Times. As well as increased funding, the Government is at an advanced stage in drafting legislation making it easier for gardaí to seize bikes which are being used improperly.

Under the plans, those who get in trouble with the Garda will be banned from membership of Government-funded bike clubs, Mr Browne said.

Not sure about this tbh, don't think the young lads concerned are going to be interested in IBT type stuff or just riding safely in general - the illegality and danger is much of the thrill surely

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Anyone else use Christmas as an excuse to gift themselves more tools or bike gear?

What ye getting lads?

Me, a 5-25nm torque wrench.

A wise investment if you're dealing with öhlins fork pinch bolts.😬

And sure no harm in another socket set while I'm at it I suppose 🙈

Also probably going to get a DeWalt cordless torque wrench as well.

Santa has dropped off some already

Aww, ickle baby torque wrench...

You're certainly not the only one to find out the hard way that using a torque wrench near the bottom end of its range is risky - brake calipers in my case 🙄

I won't be buying anything. I already spent a silly amount of money on a Suzuki special tool to complete my fork rebuild (basically a length of steel pipe with a machined end) - I used the usual bodge to successfully disassemble and reassemble without the tool - yay 😀 but because I reassembled by the book*, torqued it all up correctly and used thread lock as they specified, I couldn't undo it all again without the proper tool 🙄

⭐️the reason I had to disassemble the forks again was because while the disassembly instructions mentioned a thing called an "oil lock piece", the official workshop manual didn't mention reinserting that piece at all, even though it can be inserted in more than one orientation 🙄😠 for the record - it goes onto the end of the cartridge like a bucket, open end up, "fluted" or whatever you call it end down 👍️ what I did first time around was forget to put them in at all 😫

But the front end feels great now even on 15 year old stock springs which most of the US owners on t'internet dismiss as useless. Liqui Moly 5w fork oil, take the air gap down from 165 to 150mm, preload 6, damping settings stock and bob's your uncle as far as I'm concerned. (Yiz won't care about all that detail but maybe sometime in the future some poor sod searching will - if they can wade through the crap! 😛 )

There is a lot to be said for buying a motorcycle which is not popular in America where it seems that most of the motorcycle culture is dickheads/squids/or the ladies in waiting of garage queens. I didn't have trouble finding reliable information on the internet when I owned a Triumph, from people who actually rode them in real life.

Feck me, that post took a funny turn 😁

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Scrap the cap!

What Suzuki was it? Dad has the fork tool your on about, but his is for the 43mm forks off the DR650se, We've to rebuild the forks one of the pigs. You can also use a broom handle on the DR forks, but its not the most exact tool

We've the opposite problems with this bike though, loads of help from the states and Austrailia, but the bike was barely sold in Europe, so hard to get parts and information here on them.

Have spares for most of it now though and the tools for a good bit of the rebuilds.

Aye what bike is. It I've taken my forks apart probably four times at this point on the DL. No special tools needed. My biggest issue was putting the seals in the wrong way twice. Geniusly.

SV1000S K4, part number is 09940-30250

Happy to lend to anyone in need 👍️

I was possibly a bit unfair to Americans 😁 most of the best posters in the Triumph Sprint group I used to be in were in the states. And most of them rode the shỉt out of their bikes any time it wasn't icy. But it helped that that bike appealed to what we'd call the "mature" rider. Maybe I'm too old to own a 1000 v-twin which is a hooligan machine, an absolute hoot to ride 😛 but I don't fuckin' care 😁

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Scrap the cap!

Ah ok! I googled the tool quickly, unfortunatly not the same as the DR650 one, thats the DR's one, literally a nut on the end of a stick, probally why jamming a broom handle in works.

I took both BMW forks apart recently, but thankfully didn't need any special tools for that.

Haha tbf I only own adventure bikes with alot of DIY guys on the forums who like repairing the damn things and then im in airhead groups who mostly talk about restorations or half the time reminisce over the old magazine pics of the bike as it was just coming out. (a decade before i was born)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Alkers

Have bike prices increased the way car prices have in the last 18months or so.

Realistically, I'll not have to commute again any time soon and I've used my bike maybe four times since the first lockdown.

It's garaged and on an omptimate but I'm going to have to do something with it at some stage, would kill me to sell it but it's wasted sitting there too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Bikes not as much, there are plenty being brought in from EU countries now. Unlike like RHD cars the most that needs to happen is changing out the headlights.

Advertisement