Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Spiderman0081

In Germany, it was discovered that 
    seven Germans had been infected with omicron in South Africa, despite 
    receiving three doses of vaccine, 
    which surprised researchers.

But in Denmark, far more people have been infected by the omicron variant, despite being vaccinated three times.

Of a total of 1280 reported cases of the variant in Denmark, 956 people 
    were double-vaccinated and 114 people had received three doses of vaccine, 
    according to a report published by 
    the Danish National Serum Institute 
    on Friday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭Panrich

Considering that 3 out of 4 adults are vaccinated, they should be dying at a rate of 3:1, all things being equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

When will people in their 30s and 40s get their booster?

Any response appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They didn't seal any data, its all being released, that was an estimate on getting the data ready before release from the FDA approval, but its being released all the time and will happen much faster than that (and we use the EMA anyway).

Where did you read that from? as its been one of the new anti-vax talking points that, as ever, ignores all the context to try and spread FUD. I'd imagine that's the source of your mortality data as well, please look into the sources, you're being hoodwinked.

• Advertisement

I'll stay safe because I'm vaccinated and disregarding FUD from posters like you on public forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I wasn't gonna rush out to get it but my missus asked me if I could because she's actually a risk with her health issues. How do I even go about getting the jag? Does my doctor ring me or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Jabbed this am. Other than better 5G reception, everything's normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Seemingly you will be contacted by at least 90% of government departments, just to be sure you get it.....

So you may get a call from your Local Library, In your tax credit cert for 2022, an NDLS driver centre, the food safety authority or maybe Failte Ireland!!!

😁 (Light hearted joke by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭bladespin

Still clueless as to how you consider anything I’ve posted as anti-Vax in any way, I’m fully vaccinated as are all around me too, thanks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

50s started on Thursday, so I would say, early / mid next week for 40s.

There are options for walk ins at centres too, they seem to do walk ins for part of the day, and appointments for the other part. Details should be on the hse website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

just about spat my coffee out at "local library"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,465 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m early 40’s and getting booster later today... that said I’m 90% recovered from a medical problem that depending on who you believe some say make me higher risk, some no extra risk... so I don’t know if I’m getting bumped up, probably not as I was long enough waiting for the fûckin first doses.

Genuinely getting worried about how I’m going to get this booster when my age group opens, probably in January.

I can’t stand in a queue for long due to back problems. So I’m going to be in a scramble for pharmacy appointments.

I’m not sure if I can arrange it though my GP. I don’t think I really meet any of the criteria for being disabled or anything, but I would be in absolute agony if I had to stand in line for an hour. I don’t think I could physically do it.

I was barely able to bring the car for an NCT due to a 10 min queue. Ended up perched against the railings. There was no where to sit - they’ve closed the waiting area and it was raining. So I had to call a relative to basically come and wait outside and in the interim I sat on a kerb in the rain while the car was tested.

I'm rapidly realising nobody thinks about accessibility in this covid regulation stuff.

Trying to sort it out but getting nowhere and so far haven’t been diagnosed with anything but I’m beginning to suspect arthritis.

I seem to spend my time these days planning how to get from point A to point B using props like carrying a strong golf umbrella or taking a trolley in the supermarket etc etc

Sometimes I’m fine, sometimes I’m not. It’s all a bit random.

Anyway, just from a practical point of view, how am I going to go about this without an individual appointment if the pharmacies are full?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Well, it seems to be stepping up even with all those duplicate appointment inefficiencies, but it could be well into Christmas week before we get to the 40s, and especially 30s. That said, I am hoping (mé féin sna 40í, not at risk group) it could be announced mid-next week for 40s, with appointments for the weekend after in time for travel plans made long ago (which could be cancelled, if heavier restrictions are signalled).

At least this time, we don't have to wait for it to go filter down from 49 to 48 to 47 and so on, for the walk-in appointments at least. The walk-ins are excellent for those of us in a rush because of travel plans or just because some of us are more risk averse than others.

How many of you are going really early to appointments, like 6-7am? Can you travel to walk-in centres an hour or two away to skip the large UCD queues?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

That sounds rough. Back pain is very debilitating.

Given what you have said, I think the first port of call should be your own GP. Explain the issues with standing and they will most likely give you an appointment as soon as they can. I know someone who got called at short notice by their GP because of a no show, so if that was feasible for you, to get there at short notice, it's worth keeping in mind too.

Have a look at the nearest centre to you and see if they are doing walk ins. I know of some Dublin centres that are.

They do walk ins for part of the day, and appointments for the other part. The details should be on the hse website.

I’ll ring the GP and see if they’re doing them. I’ve sort of had a mess during covid because my original GP retired and closed his practice entirely and I’ve been “between doctors” since. I’ve used a few walk in GP clinics as none of the local practices would take on any new patients (private ones.) I rang 3 of them and just got told they weren’t taking anyone, so I did a phone consultation about the back with one of those city centre walk in clinics and that’s been about as much contact as I’ve had with doctors.

I went to a couple of random GPs when I had particularly bad issues but that’s been about all. I should probably hit the phones and see if I can find a proper one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,699 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Even for the back issues, better to have yourself setup somewhere with your history so you don't have another stressful thing to do when needed (have had back issues myself before and understand the pain and frustration of it "I'm fine, If I stay perfectly still").

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Ring your GP and explain your situation as above and they should be able to give you the booster without a problem.

My wife's a healthcare worker in her 40's and she rang her GP yesterday morning and she got her jab at 6:30pm yesterday on her way home from work.

Issue is more that I’m not sure that I have a GP. I’ll phone the last one I went to and see if there are any options.

That is becoming a real issue alright, in lots of places, trying to get taken onto a GP's clinic, when you need a new one. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,816 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

From what I have heard most those against it are anti all vaccines at the best of times. And wouldn’t even be likely to take a flu shot. Never mind the Covid vaccines.

What has really shocked me in this pandemic is some people I know (acquaintances)? sincerely believe that Bill Gates is behind the virus as ‘he controls the pharmaceutical companies’ an there was a game for the Microsoft OS - called Omicron. 🤨

There is no getting through to such people impossible to reason with them.

I already have taken the Covid booster and got my flu jab. And delighted. I know I would be less likely to end up in an ICU even if I got Covid.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The “flu shot” is a vaccination. It’s just one for a rapidly mutating and adapting virus.

The COVID vaccines so far have been just getting the dosing right. The boosters haven’t been different vaccines for new strains, which actually shows that targeting the spike protein is pretty effective as it’s been working against all the strains thrown at it.

You might find that in a few years time the mRNA vaccine dosing regimen is maybe more spread out or there’s some change in the quantities used. The Pfizer / BioNTech approach was to keep the doses very low.

The issues haven’t been the same as the flu vaccine though, so far anyway. As the same vaccine has continued to work for variants. It’s just had issues with fade over time. That’s not unusual for vaccines and you’ll likely find they’ll overcome that with something less inconvenient than multiple boosters. Some of the hepatitis vaccines for example require 3 doses and other vaccines may require boosters at various stages eg: tetanus shots. It’s nothing particularly unusual to need boosted vaccines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm going to go for my booster when available, but will feel a teensy bit hypocritical as i reckon the shots could be better used in countries where vaccines are much harder to come by.

Tbh, it’s not hypocritical. Make a donation to UNICEF’s vaccine programme and put some political pressure on if you can.

You not getting a booster is not going to solve a global supply chain issue. It will just render your existing vaccines ineffective and possibly add burden to a public health system that’s already under pressure.

The global vaccine issues need money, manufacturing capacity and the relaxing of patents. Those are the only things that will solve them. They need literally billions of doses produced. Absolutely make some political noise to TDs and MEPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,465 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s not a flu shot, because I got that 3 weeks ago from my gp...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

There was some news report I think a few days ago suggesting that the 30s and 40s would be started before Christmas. Might mean the 40s at some point next week and the 30s starting a few days before Christmas maybe.

Advertisement