Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quote for hanging a door

Options
  • 29-11-2021 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Local business looking for 150 for hanging your regular oak indoor door, i'm looking to get 6 put up. Anyone know the going rate please?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Does that include fitting of hinges, locks and handles?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Add frames to that also,

Using existing framework or installation of new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭Boooourns

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Probably in/around going rate. Maybe try and bargain, as it is 6 doors (like 6 for the cost of 5)?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

That's a decent price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Very good price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

As others have posted its a fair price.

You will have at least 2 persons installing the doors.

Oak doors a bloody heavy.

And definitely a good price if you're house is a two storey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Okay, thanks for the replies . I was thinking 900 was a lot for a days work to hang 6 doors but i'm wrong :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭deravarra

No, you aren't wrong. I cannot understand how a lot of these builders are charging so much.

Don't worry, there'll come a time when they'll be begging for work and will charge a whole lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I doubt that , most kids leaving school now want to head to college and not a building site. Good tradesmen will become more expensive if anything. And for small jobs like hanging g 6 doors you'll pay a premium because the tradesman would rather hold out for longer higher grossing jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭Suckler

Good quality tradesmen are harder to get because of the race to the bottom - "I think its too expensive" - on what basis. I know if I had bought oak doors I'd want them done tidily.

Oh that old chestnut of a race to the bottom. Oft quoted by the likes of trades unions when they are being called out on their unrealistic expectations of double digit pay rises.

I am sorry, but in today's work, 500 per day for a tradesman is stupid pay.

Stupid pay on what basis? Trades should know their status and stay down there?

Your first sentence doesn't address anything; just dismissive without substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,002 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lol. Rofl.

Go learn to hang an oak door so!

I bet you think this type of work is unskilled too and the lad has no overheads....

• i couldn’t argue with it tbh

if you’re buying Oak doors might as well make sure they’re put up properly and given it’ll take about half an hour or so per door and most definitely need a second workman handy to help lifting it etc really the rates coming to €450 per person. Sure, it’s expensive on the face of it; but there’s tax, fuel etc it’s hardly like he’s walking away with €900 in profit here.

As per labour court recommendation for period from Feb 2022, tradesperson minimum rate is going to be €20.52. An unskilled person with at least 2 years experience will get minimum of €18.47

Combine both, and give 1.5 hours per door. That would be around €351. I don't think tax, fuel should make up around 500 quid extra. I would say 6-700 would be a fairer and more reasonable amount of money for the job and still give the tradesman a nice little profit.

As for that nonsensical quip about "know their status and stay down there" - well, I'll leave that in the rubbish tip where it belongs.

You make unfounded assumptions. I definitely know the overheads involved, having a senior trades certificate in carpentry and joinery, and having been in the business myself for some time with my own father.

Overheads? Like the apartment in spain, or the house in bulgaria?

I know more builders and their game than you would ever dream of.

• Well, there you go OP @deravarra is offering to hang your doors for only €600!

I never said that. I said €600 would be a reasonable price to include tax and fuel, and overheads.

€900 is far too much.

I stand by what I said.

OP @[Deleted User] reckons you should just pay and be thankful for lining the pocket of the tradesman.

• Advertisement

You talk of unfounded assumptions and then go on about "apartments in Bulgaria" ....

Of course you know all the overheads.

Not unfounded when you know builders who have them. I personally know some who do.

Of course I do know the overheads, having being involved in a family run construction firm for quite a while.

I knew the bad days of the 80's when there was no work in construction, and certainly no government supports or any such like.

I knew how tough it was to get money post completion of a job.

So don't assume you know me or what I know/don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think its expensive but there may be more work in fitting to old frames... are you sure the frames suitable for heavy oak doors.. i do not think softwood be suitable to hang heavy oak door on... from memory i think a carpenter take an hour for regular internal door... its a one man job for me as it can be levered into place...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I am sorry, but in today's work, 500 per day for a tradesman is stupid pay.

to be fair, i've seen lads in IT consulting pull in three times that a day, and they would be doing less work!

It's of no relevance to the "overheads" whether they own apartments in Bulgaria or Dublin. Just ire and spittle for some reason.

I know only too well how hard trades had it and how hard it was to get paid for works. I've heard all the lines of 'my mates says x is enough' / 'my mate can do it cheaper' / 'what if i pay cash' / 'you used my electricity, shouldn't that come off the bill' / 'what do you mean consumables?!' / etc.

Since late 90's trades have been seen as beneath 3rd level education and we've paid the price (literally and figuratively)

I've had it said by more than one tradesman calling to my house of late - that they have been chasing others for payment, and so will have to increase charges because they are losing money. A builder friend had 3 apartments paid for, and nothing to show for in Bulgaria. He's lost money. He subsequently increased his prices to make up the shortfall in his investment. But you don't think that happens, no? You're either very gullible or innocent.

Ire and spittle? I think perhaps you've shown yours.

Trades are important and are needed. But my goodness, it looks and feels like some are holding customers hostage by refusing to do the bread and butter work in favour of big jobs, and then charging exorbitant rates when they eventually bother showing up to do so.

I often had tradespeople agreeing a time and day to call, and then not bothering to show up. I have lost time and money due to this. Perhaps I should start charging them for no shows. What would you think of that? I bet it wouldn't wash. Neither should the litany of reasons for their charging over the top prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Very few would ever be getting €1.5k day in IT. I'd say I'd learn to hang a door quicker than I could train most tradesmen to fix a bug on their own in the systems I work on. I don't get €500 a day and I work on financial/trading software so I'd earn more hanging doors than software/IT.

Back to Bulgaria again are we...

Personal " You must be gullible or innocent" remarks show you have little substance to add here.

It is pertinent to my experience of builders I KNOW who have said as such - that they have increased their prices to make up for personal investment losses.

Now I know it must be difficult for you to understand, but it does happen. And yes, you must be gullible or innocent if you think it does not happen.

Personal? Oh, like the "Ire and Spittle"? and the assumption I know nothing of overheads.

What, exactly, is your experience of working in the construction industry? I have decades of experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,002 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wtf is he doing going on about Bulgaria. Jesus have I ever heard such shite.

Genuinely love to see him do this for 500. He wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Spoofer.

Advertisement