Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zappi charge points

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Only the Zappi or Eddi can be a Master

Is one of your group items on the Harvi ? If so, I wonder if that could be the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Thomasirl123

Looking at buying a zappi but confused on what type to get? A 7kw would do me at the moment but would like to future proof with a 22kw. Done some reading and have got lost with all the information. Can any house get the 22kw or might be require an upgrade of my electrics? Was reading about upgrading from single to three phase and I don't want that extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Looking at buying a zappi but confused on what type to get? A 7kw would do me at the moment but would like to future proof with a 22kw. Done some reading and have got lost with all the information. Can any house get the 22kw or might be require an upgrade of my electrics? Was reading about upgrading from single to three phase and I don't want that extra cost.

To get 22kW you'll need 3 phase which your house almost certainly doesn't have. If you want to be sure look in your meter cabinet. If there's a single live (brown), neutral (blue) and earth (green/yellow) then you're on single phase

If you have 3 lives (brown, grey and black) then you have 3 phase. Upgrading to 3 phase is a significant investment, would add several thousand to the cost

Most EV owners get on fine with 7kW chargers, once you're charging overnight then it doesn't really matter how quickly you charge

In 11 hours at 7kW I can fully charge my car and have over 400km range. Unless you're driving 500km or more every day then you'll have enough time to recharge the battery

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Thomasirl123

To get 22kW you'll need 3 phase which your house almost certainly doesn't have. If you want to be sure look in your meter cabinet. If there's a single live (brown), neutral (blue) and earth (green/yellow) then you're on single phase

If you have 3 lives (brown, grey and black) then you have 3 phase. Upgrading to 3 phase is a significant investment, would add several thousand to the cost

Most EV owners get on fine with 7kW chargers, once you're charging overnight then it doesn't really matter how quickly you charge

In 11 hours at 7kW I can fully charge my car and have over 400km range. Unless you're driving 500km or more every day then you'll have enough time to recharge the battery

Thanks, clears it up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kop-end

Hi folks, has anyone ever seen a Zappi 2 unit set up without the requirement to connect a to the consumer unit inside the house (fuse-board)
    Is it possible to connect these to the main supply box outside the house? (ESB box containing meter). Thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Just to give an update on this, I had a chat with support and they recommended I update my Zappi to firmware version 3139

After doing so, the issue was gone and load balancing works correctly

So if anyone is seeing similar issues I'd recommend updating to the latest firmware

Thumbs up to MyEnergi support for quick and helpful responses 😄

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Hi, apologies if this has been asked and answered but couldn't find anything on search. I've a Zappi installation by NMD scheduled for January and I was wondering, can the Myenergi hub be connected to the house WiFi with a powerline rather than being hardwired via ethernet into our router?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The Hub is hardwire only

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Thanks Slave1, looks like I need to rethink where I was going to put the hub so.

Our router is in the attic with WiFi extenders at either end of the house. Has anyone put the Hub in their attic and if so what's the signal strength like? The Zappi would be located approx 22m away from the hub with 3 block walls between them. Is there a need to constantly interact with the hub once its set up or could I install it in the attic and forget about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭denismc

I think you might struggle with that distance, I know there is a way to boost the signal from a harvi but not sure about the hub.

Have you considered getting a Wifi extender with an ethernet port?

Any firmware updates go through the hub but updates only happen once or twice a year so the hub should be low maintenance.

• Advertisement

Don't get WiFi mixed up here, the MyEnergi products communicate with each other over proprietary radio waves not WiFi.

22m from Hub to Zappi does sound like a potential issue.

You also need a 3pin plug to power the Hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭denismc

The point I was making was it maybe possible to connect the hub to a WiFi extender with an output ethernet port and thus connect to his WiFi network this way so he doesn't need to put the hub in the attic where the router is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Powerline may work, they tend to be reliable. There is not much on the hub in terms of display to look at. In order to do updates you need to press buttons on hub, but in general I would not update unless you intend fixing a specific issue. You car will still charge with no communication. Assuming you have no Eddi and no solar integration etc, you have no need to use the hub and the app on a day to day basis. Many people survive with never getting a hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

I use powerline extenders to extend my ethernet system. I don't see any reason why you could not use a powerline plug with an ethernet connector on board to attach the myenergi hub to. That will allow you to site the hub close to your Zappi. One powerline plug (the master) is plugged in to an electricity socket adjacent to your router: an ethernet cable from your router feeds that plug. The other powerline plug is located as near to your Zappi as you can get. Ideally the powerline plugs like to be plugged directly into your mains sockets, not via an extension lead. I have had success using extension leads though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Just out of interest, what kind of functionality does the car charger alone for any sort of monitoring of consumption etc?

I have my inverters in the Shed at the bottom of the garden, the Eddi is the Master and is in the attic, and there is absolutely no issue whatsoever. MyEnergi I think use 868mhz radio, which was selected specifically for it's low power and range. The Zappi is at the front corner of the house and it too has no issues whatsoever

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Quoted 1100 for an install of a Zappi (7kw tethered), seems reasonable to me, but would welcome others opinions.

That's not a bad price

If anyone fancies doing it DIY, current regs say you must install an AC disconnect beside it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If its a before grant price then thats about right. If its an after grant price, then not so much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

You can see consumption on the zappi screen. In my case my commute was fixed, so I could see the car consumed an average of 20kWh per night, for my 110km commute. After I knew that I did not really care to check, but the daily total is shown on screen without pressing anything. Other stats are shown if you press buttons but I am not sure on details. Probably daily, weekly, total. If you have current monitoring on incoming mains for load share via wired current clamp you can see house load, I am unsure on logs for this.

I have a hub and in reality it's not been plugged in for a year, there was no need. I use the timer in the car to set night rate charging.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Anyone use a Zappi with a Corsa-E? Any issues. Reading online there seems there was an issue but hopeful it has been resolved.

Have Solar and Eddi and hoping to stay in the same family for the charging unit. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 delahan88

Hi

I Recently installed a zappi untethered but I'm having an issue with it... the screen is lit up but there is no display??? And it won't release the charger plug... any ideas has anybody come accross this issue???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

What's the best way to setup for night rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Did anyone get the HARVI box for their Zappi? What’s it’s use. ?

The Harvi takes the CT clamps and transmits wirelessly to the Zappi or EDDI, handy when those units in hard to reach locations

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I set up the timed Eco plus boost function on the original Zappi, works fine, doesn't start until 11pm and gets a full charge by 9am or whatever the cutoff is. My logic was the night rate is specific to the house so it should be the thing attached to the house managing it rather than the car.

Apparently if you have the app you can set up a true night rate charge but there's no difference in what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭spakman

Yep, I use eco plus as well. you just need to remember to adjust it when the night rate hours change, but even if you don't, the majority of charging will be during night rate hours

Advertisement