Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Ok so no point in using the ebb or ionity high power chargers then

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Yes on grounds of availability and speed. Every time been to Cashel or Gorey services the ESB charger was occupied.

For doing a deep charge, charging at 70kW is noticeably faster than 45kW off an old ESB unit. And worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

How do you y'all clean the touch screen display? Mine always look full of hairline scratches and has a kind of stain to it, only observable when powered off though

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Err.. dont think we've cleaned it yet.. fingerprint central there! :P

But if i was to clean it, Microfibre/lint free cloth and stuff for cleaning glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Where do you all buy your tyres - and get them fitted - please?

• Advertisement

Got mine on eire tyres (delticom) and fitted at a local tyre shop. didn't charge too much for fitting them, but they do all our tyres on the farm/cars.

They even said they couldnt match the price on the website at the time from their suppliers, Was happy to fit them.

They also have fitting partners. There could be one in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Minifox

Anyone actually get the free charger from Energia? Garage keeps telling me that they have passed my details on to Energia and they will contact me soon.

Anytime I try to contact Energia directly, I get transferred from office to office before being cut off.

I'm not picking up car until January but I'd like to get charger installed beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Question for eNiro owners....

What range are you getting in winter given how Irish examples don't have a heat pump.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

380km. No morning preheating, plenty of motorway driving and hammering. That's probably worst case scenario other than 100% motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

The "free" charger costs about €800 - at least in my case. That includes the €50 fee for breaking the contract with my current provider.

My calculation is based on my current consumption and the difference between the rate I'm currently paying and that on offer from Energia.

The €600 SEAI grant is added on top of that so the "free" charger is really costing €1400. Obviously the grant is refundable if you are eligible.

It might be cheaper to shop around for a better price.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭galaxy12

I get around 400 km on full charge.It has come down considerably in the winter months .City driving and with eco mode and auto regen.

About 380, usual run is R and N roads about 80km round trip. Never have used eco mode.

Did a 320 ish km run to Belfast and back in bad weather a few weeks ago (mix of all roads) and got home with 8%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jmsbohan

Hi,

I'm just about to buy the e niro but I have a few questions before I fully decide.

I travel from longford to maynooth for work 5 days a week and its a 200km round trip mostly motorway driving would the range be good enough? and how often would I need to charge? I spend about €110 per week on fuel so roughly how much would it cost a week to run? My night rate is 12c kW and day is 22c.

Also how long does it really take for a full charge at home, friend of mine has a tesla and doesn't believe me when I told him it was 10.5 h.

Thanks Guys any feedback would be much appreciated.

200 round trip is no problem, even if you're doing motorway driving. Winter months, you should get around 390 to 410km range. Summer months possibly 430 to 450 range. It really depends on how you drive and whether you're using heater/air con. Just plug it in each evening when you get home and use the scheduler (on the car or the charger) to come on at night when you're tucked up in bed. I would charge it to 80% as much as possible, but 100% if you really need it.

A full charge (0 to 100%) at home at night rate will cost around €7.50. It will also take 8.5 hours to charge from 0 to 100%, but realistically you're never going to be charging from 0%! So, if it's from 20% to 80%, it will be around 5 hours and will cost around €4.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

200 km is approx. half a battery so say 30 kWh x €.12/kWh x 5 = €18 per week plus 10% for losses so €20/week give or take. And with a 7 kW charger that takes less than 5 hours to replenish each night.

Tesla's 75 kWh battery takes longer than the night rate is there if you arrive with a totally empty battery and plan to charge to 100% which most people don't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Dub - Longford used approx 30-35% of my battery. That was motorway speeds, heat/ac as needed with 2 humans and 2 dogs. I get approx 10% charge an hour charging at home.. have never needed to use a public charger as I’m a wfh city slicker 😅

Pretty much what everyone else says. Charge to 80% and you'll be fine.

Try and get home charging as soon as possible when you get the car. A wallbox or even an outdoor 3 pin socket. I had no home or work charging for six weeks and it was time consuming going to public charging outside of work hours.

Worst case scenario, 20kWh/100km vs say 4.5l/100km

Your night rate is 12c and say diesel at €1.70

Electric is 2.4c/km so 4.80 for the trip

Diesel is 7.65c/km so 15.3 for the trip.

Realistically you'll prob average 18kWh/100km with regular motorway driving, We do very little city driving (mostly N and R roads) so we only see the range above 400 in the summer.

Time to charge depends on what % your at. But say 30% you would need to charge about 45kWh to get to 100% and with a charge point at home you can charge at 7kWh, 45/7 is about 6.5hrs

If you were empty, it will take about 9 to get to 100%.

That's where DC fast chargers come in when doing longer trips.

45 k up on the car since March 20!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Minifox

Is it safe to leave a car plugged in overnight on a three pin plug?

I've got an outside socket in the shed, so I won't need to use an extension lead, and it'll only be for a couple of weeks, but I half remember reading somewhere that granny plugs are only for emergencies and that the socket can overheat.

Or did I dream it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

As far as I know, the granny charger has different rates of charge.

ANY socket will overheat if the charge drawn through it exceeds the rating for the cabling.

So be sure that the MCB which covers the garage doesn't exceed the level allowed by that copper wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jmsbohan

Thanks for all your responses,

Last question., if your doing avg 50k km per year and you keep the car for two years or so what's your GUESS the resale value would be, I know its impossible to be accurate but would people be put off buying high mileage due to the battery life and cost of replacing the battery.

Im worried I will lose out big time on the other end when I want to upgrade.

Cant help you on price But ev's tend to hold value better than a similar ICE car with the same mileage. eg a 2 yr old sportage is about 20k with 100k km, and a new one is 38ish.

If someone got a 2 yr old e niro for 25k it would be considered a bargin I'd say. (open to correction here)

as for the battery, I wouldnt be worried one bit, the batteries now will outlast the car.

Someone in sk has done 92K km on an eNiro and measured about a 1% reduction so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭G-Man

You can reduce the car draw rate on a 3 pin plug..

Have mine 5 months now and its all overnight on a 3 pin plug. Plug gets warm and 1 or twice the charging has shut down. However I since discovered in "EV" panel in the multimedia dash there is current limit button with 3 settings . LO/MED/HIGH .. HIGH Is standard .. 2/2.1kw MED is 1.5KW and LO is 1KW. I reduced mine to 1.5 kw ... (Only affects granny cable) and now my plug does not get warm.. Yes it takes longer to charge, but I dont need to drive as much..

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Next generation KIA eNiro has arrived in Germany

Quick external review with a KIA guy in the background keeping a good eye on things.

Interior is covered but it's obvious the next gen will have a heads up display.

In German but a very good quality video:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jayjbe

Any mention of Irish release date for this and pricing?

Wow, they're really butchered the design! This looks really cheap. The back of it looks like an old Ford Focus

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Yeah that looks a bit 'meh'

Quick question - who do y'all use for your e-Niro car insurance? I've got Axa at €475 comprehensive but not sure if there are better EV-specific plans around

• Advertisement

€280 with Aviva - Comprehensive. I have house insurance and other car insured as well with them so got some discounts.

Advertisement