Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

I'm vaccinated myself but I've heard vile conversations about what should be done with the unvaccinated, such as moving them away from society and putting them into camp's, or only letting them out for essentials. Hopefully that will stop when we're over the pandemic.

I'll take my comment back about Germany and I apologize for the upset.

But you did dump a link here to make a point and you also inflamed the thread again by getting personal.

We were all getting along again and you swooped in and upset the apple cart .

I had a warning by a moderator and changed my tone, so if I can relax so can you.

I hear you, so this has been twoing and frowing for age's and you eventually had enough and decided you've had enough and called people out in frustration.

That's reasonable, we all have a tipping point. My tipping point was a lot shorter than yours. Now I understand what you mean.

Anyhow it's good to clear things up, and I'm sorry for getting anxty and confrontational.

And I appreciate you calling me out, sometimes I need to be kicked to touch.

I'm pretty sure nobody agrees with you that I dumped a link. And referencing the Nazis was done by you. You've continued to refer to npcs and such so you were the one who set a tone... You have not used the thread to argue in good faith so I'm happy to call that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I have not seen anywhere on here where posters have a problem with anyone believing there are ulterior motives. It`s this whole riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma posting that they find so bewildering. This is a discussion forum, not a forum for posting propaganda where you run away when asked to explain, or come back with nothing other whinging, crying and attempts at deflection because you have been asked.

You appear to believe there are ulterior motives so perhaps you could get the ball rolling and set a good example to others by telling us finally after almost 10,000 posts what these ulterior motives are, what it is they are supposed to achieve, who is behind them and why.

Thanks I'm not here to argue,I'm here for an aul chat.

Sorry for the reference to whatever didn't set a good tone.

Sorry for offending you or sparking your protons and almost dropping a charged electron amoungst your protons , but I'll try to keep to the neutron...

I'm leaving the nucleus now, because this place gets too intense and I'm not able for the truth bomb's lol

And by the way I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I was chatting about the fact some people see things differently and it's almost impossible to sway their thinking...then we went onto to something else and left the bickering behind us...

I'm out of here and stick to chatting about lighter subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Ahahaha! I love how every thread in this forum descends into the same stupid conversation. "CONSPIRACY THEORISTS WONT ANSWER QUESTIONS" "CONSPIRACY THOERISTS KEEP RUNNING AWAY" "CONSPIRACY THEORIST JUST WANT SAFE SPACE"

The reality is that conspiracy theorists would rather gouge out their own eyes than to have a discussion with the regulars here. This is why the forum is dead, not because their claim was debunked, not because they were shown the light - they leave because the forum is a cesspit of people who hate conspiracy theories and who are quite obviously, actively making this place a cesspit. Purely censorship by those who don't feel the sites rules are stringent enough. The only people who don't see it are newcomers and they very quickly see what's going on. We even saw a mod get sneered and jeered out of the forum a few weeks back would you believe! (The gall of him to post a conspiracy theory in the conspiracy forum 🙄)

No skin off my nose, there's a great conspiracy forum on reddit that is properly moderated (sorry guys, you won't be able to Sealion it to death) with some actual interesting things to read: https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracytheories/

Toodles!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"CONSPIRACY THEORISTS WONT ANSWER QUESTIONS"

Do you believe man has walked on the moon? Do you believe man has left earth and orbited the planet?

If you ignore these questions and refuse to answer then you are proving us right, your little rant above will prove that you are posting dishonestly because you refuse to debate fairly.

Let's see what his response is shall we?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,966 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I still it's a parody account, has to be. Satellites can be seen with the naked eye, how does anyone convince themselves they aren't real?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭rtron

The only permanent thing that I think can be permanent about the covid 19 pandemic is mandatory vaccines. Its dragging on too long now and some European countries are talking about making vaccines mandatory next year.

There also needs to be a vaccine passport to prove authentication of protection from the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

For them to be fake we must live in a Truman Show type environment?

• Advertisement

Even then I think it's limited to countries with low vaccine uptakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

No they leave because they become upset that no one is indulging them in their fantasy of being a rebel researcher and they expose the fact that their beliefs are wrong and ultimately dishonest.

It's why they ignore questions and points and why they have manic little freak outs like this.

Now you day "toodles" as if you're leaving the forum for good. But I think this is the second or third time you've announced your departure with a similar attempt at being clever.

Again dramatic exits lose their effectiveness when you do them more than once.

I'm betting you'll be back for another fly by snarky post about how mean we all are in a week or two.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To be fair, fly by night troll or no, they have a pretty valid point regarding the forum.

I've dipped in here a couple of times down the years when like this morning I've seen it pop up on the main page. I even posted on a "Moon landings faked" thread ages ago as that one in particular gives me an unscratchable itch in the centre of my head. However after a few posts I fecked off. Why? The clue is in the forum title. Conspiracies Theories forum. I don't pop into the cycling forum and ask them why don't they just buy a car, or the atheism forum and ask them why they don't accept Jesus(and vice versa) and so on.

Chances are high I'd be nuked from orbit(or from a very tall building for the flat earthers) by the locals and the mods if I continued to do so. Yet in this forum for conspiracy theories, the second a subject that's the very reason and name for the forum pops up you have a few people railing on the locals smugly suggesting they've been dropped on their heads as a child. If the forum is dying it's in very large part because of that.

Just a personal opinion as a passerby who doesn't believe in conspiracy theories.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

But sorry, no. That's simply not what happens.

In the thread you refer to the particular poster decided to drop into the thread and demanded answers to a ton of questions about the "official story". Those questions were then answered in full, directly and concisely.

He was asked one thing and one thing only: What did he believe? He refused to answer in any way, trolled the forum and then ended up making a fake image as part of a ploy to trick people somehow.

We've been asking conspiracy theorists in this thread to explain what the conspiracy theory is.

We're asking them to explain how they have come to the conclusion that the conspiracy theory is true or likely.

For some reason, none of them seem willing or capable of doing any of that.

And this is besides all the demonstrably false claims that are being made in support of conspiracy theories.

You seem to be saying that conspiracy theories aren't any different from just making stuff up and writing fiction.

I think most conspiracy theorists would object to that description.

Why would conspiracy theorists want to have their fictional writing be protected and kept in a safe space where no one can ask something offensive like "why do you believe that?" or "why are you making this false claim."

If people don't want those questions asked, it's not the people asking them that's killing discussion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You can go into a religion forum and ask the locals why they belive in their deity and get a straight answer though. They won't scream about being asked too many questions and that it's mean of you to ask questions, although they may suggest that you "do your own research" / "read their holy book". They do at least have a defined book stating what they belive, even if they might argue about some interpretations of its meaning.

The atheist forum would be more than happy to explain why they don't believe in a deity.

Or you could go into the cycling forum and ask them to explain why more bikes, more bike lanes, less cars etc is a good thing. They may not like to answer the ones about hi viz or helmets, because they have been through it multiple times, but you will get links to studies about such things.

Yet, in the conspiracy theory forum asking them to explain their beliefs is somehow considered wrong by its believers. The forum is for discussing conspiracy theories, which is the one thing that CTers refuse to do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I consider religions as pretty much making stuff up and writing fiction around a much more mundane historical reality that can and has led to some bloody dangerous problems in human history(and some good stuff too of course) and I doubt the religious feel the same way. I don't go to a religious forum, their "safe space" as it were and constantly badger them with gotchas around "honest questions"(which almost never are) about their "bronze age sky fairy death cult". If they're happy out and not impinging on me, two hoots to I give and leave them to it. As I said the clue is in the title of the forum. It's about the only forum on here that I can think of that has anything like this dynamic and even for a passerby it's evident on every single thread and seems to be the same few names doing it. I was merely pointing that out and pointing out why the forum might be dying, if indeed it is. I've no skin in the game.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

But this isn't a safe space where certain ideas are protected from things like questioning or doubt.

And honestly man, you're going to have to provide an example of one of these "gotcha questions".

Are you referring to "What measures are going to be permanent and why?"

Do you have any comment on the behaviour of the conspiracy theorists here? Namely the constant dodging of questions and the repeating of demonstrably false information?

Are all of those things acceptable to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Anyone who spend a day or two in here will know quite fast who the self-appointed guardians of truth are. They provide most of the entertainment in here.

Again, you guys keep arguing that conspiracy theories need to be protected from dangerous and offensive questions because they are entirely fictional.

You in particular have been caught out in numerous lies and have thrown many a tantrum when you were.

All on top of how you ignore the lies and dishonesty from your fellow conspiracy theorists.

You guys have shown time and time again you don't care what the truth is.

• Advertisement

Made up conspiracies can be dangerous as we've seen. Medical disinformation during a pandemic, political conspiracies in the US, parents of slain children being harassed, anti-semitic conspiracies, etc.

It's not all just harmless fluff from moon landing hoaxers. It's so chronic that major tech companies have had to change their algorithms, it's impacted elections, it's having an effect on global vaccination during a pandemic.

It's a public discussion forum, if people want to revise history, spread medical disinfo, etc as a hobby, what's wrong with other people being able to challenge that? Basic free speech.

Post edited by Dohnjoe on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

But the religion is capable of explaining what they believe and why. Many will even admit that it is mostly lots of stories imported from others throughout history, and that it has no basis in facts but just gives them comfort.

Meh, loads of things are unacceptable to me depending on the subject and in this case the forum involved. Well unacceptable is way too strong a word. More like "leave them to it". If this thread were on the covid forum yep I'd take issue with a few notions, but they're not, they're in the conspiracy forum, so I don't.

Hell on the very subject of this thread we've had a goodly amount of "disinformation" from our own authorities throughout. Masks magically stop working at the gates of medical facilities, until they didn't and were mandated. Asymptomatic spread is not a concern, a month after august medical journals were publishing solid research that it was. A respiratory virus that's mostly spread by surface contamination so wash your hands to the bone. Go ahead and visit elderly rellies in care home, until that was a really bad plan. Schools are not centres of transmission, until they were. I remember people pointing out the ballsology involved in each one of those cases in the Covid forum and quite the number labelling them as out of step with facts, even tinfoilhatters.

I merely pointed out my take that this forum seems different to others where the subject matter of the forum is near constantly shouted down by self appointed defenders of the truth to the point where the forum's purpose is puzzling to me and I could see why people into this kinda thing might leave. That's all.

So because it's in the conspiracy forum, it's acceptable for people to dodge questions and knowingly lie. Because conspiracy theories are just fiction and delusion.

Also again, you're going to have to explain how: "Please explain and support your conspiracy theory" is "shouting down"?

Why would being asked this cause people to get upset and leave?

I think the real reason why is that most conspiracy theorists are fully aware what they claim is bullshit. They just believe it and claim it anywat so they can play act as rebel researchers who have knowledge that the sheeple are too dumb to know.

So when people expose that their beliefs are bullshit and are just being copy and pasted from twitter cranks, it ruins the fantasy. This is upsetting to those who want to play pretends and indulge in this fantasy.

People like that aren't looking for discussion in the first place.

Notice how no conspiracy theorists ever actually acknowledge or talk about each others theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Alternately, they WANT to believe something and get very angry when you point out the facts simply don't support (or more usually, contradict) what they want to believe.

These sorts of beliefs are usually something you leave behind in childhood (believing in Santa, or fairies, or whatever), but there is a decent percentage of people who never leave this childhood state and simply transfer what they want to believe into flat earths, or global Jewish conspiracies, or whatever. And this is what we see here.

These types have no issue talking about their beliefs. They think their beliefs are actually true and can stand up to scrutiny.

Conspiracy theorists who post here, especially this thread, don't want to talk about their theories.

They knowingly tell lies. They avoid points and questions they know expose what they believe is crap.

They don't really believe what they claim. They know it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Deep breaths Mob, deep breaths

Which would be perfectly fine topics for conversation in the main covid forum regarding the reasons why certain decisions were made at different times, based on limited supply, or limited knowledge or just plain incompetence at the time.

Those topics being brought up in the CT forum though is because their proposers are trying to vaguely claim that there is some secret evil organisation behind it, yet they can't explain why that would be a good thing for said evil organisation or how they would be doing any of it. It can be explained why decisions were taken at different times regarding masks for instance, it can't be explained why the wearing of a mask helps usher in a new communist world order though.

In the beginning we were unsure whether masks would actually be effective or not, we thought the pathogens might be small enough to simply pass through them. However once we had more information (that this new virus spread more on the larger aerosols and droplets from the nose/mouth) we were able to determine the effectiveness of masks. Not deliberate "disinformation" as such, the world is a big place, it takes time for information to coagulate, be processed, be disseminated by health bodies, then go to national decisions. It's not instantaneous or homogenous.

Likewise we were unsure how much transmission occurred through touch, studies showed that Covid could live for weeks on certain surfaces, so as a precaution the advice given was to constantly disinfect.

Much of your post reads like a mishmash of misunderstandings about the whole thing.

People pointing this out? People sit and point only where they were right, none point out the countless claims and posts by them which were wrong. It was a epidemic of false information about the pandemic on this forum, I don't recall a single conspiracy prediction or claim by any "tinfoiler" that turned out to be remotely correct. Unless it was something banal like "there will be another lockdown".

As for your comment on being "shouted down". I've presented conspiracy theories here previously, never been shouted down. I simply gave the details, and answered what I could.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

in relation to covid, posters should not be allowed post misunderstood information, deliberately twisted facts, or down right lies, without question... regardless if this is the "conspiracy theory" forum or not.

if you think they should be allowed to do that, fine.. but as youve described yourself as "a passerby who doesn't believe in conspiracy theories", then youre not seeing the tonnes of lies and misinformation being posted here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement