Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Great article and I’ve posted up a couple by Mark Paul in the past.

This line stood out for me;

”But surely then there would be a desire for people to prove they had the new Omicron vaccine booster, and a renewed clamour to extend the vaccine pass system all over again.”

Virtue signalling being called out, first time for me seeing that in widely-seen national media (would say MSM but know what that would label me).

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

A few here have been pointing out this infinite chasing our tails approach and have been blasted as conspiracy nuts, the only person in Irish media that was doing the same was Niall Boylan.

So it's good to see the snobby IT reporting on it, now if RTE could only do the same ???.....

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

I see "experts" in the UK are predicting Omicron will cause 75K deaths in the UK in the next 5 months ...

Does anyone believe this utter fearmongering tripe ?

How come they aren't shut down for misinformation ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Who are the unvaccinated in the hospital beds? Who do you really think they are? Fit? Health conscious?

Don't you think a lot of these people would be taking up hospital beds anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,347 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ah no. Definitely only there because of covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They skew younger than the vaccinated and it was in reply to this:

If 92% of the population is vaccinated then why do we need the restrictions?

If we had more of our hospital capacity available then less restrictions would be needed, the last 6-7% are probably a lost cause, so we'll be restricted until spring time.

You think they are admitted for something else then get counted as a COVID patient? There are separate numbers for non-COVID admittances, but do elaborate, you might be close to blowing the case wide open.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

How come these “experts” aren’t called conspiracy theory loonies?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I like reading your posts but something about this 50% puzzles me.

I agree the vaccine has helped in reducing hospital cases and deaths substantially.

87% of ICU admissions have underlying conditions according to something I read here.

Let's say there is 100 in ICU because my maths suck to make it easier for me.

There are 87 people with underlying conditions in ICU vaxxed and unvaxxed who who would probably be there regardless of vaccination status?

That leaves 13 people with no underlying conditions who are in ICU.

We don't know what ages for anyone but I may have read there are 40 pregnant unvaxxed women in ICU,lets say almost half of everyone in ICU is pregnant but unvaxxed.

We are probably looking at 6 or 7 unvaxxed people in the whole country in ICU who have no underlying conditions or are pregnant?

If these numbers are even close to being right, we are been restricted due to 6 or 7 people?

It's also down to regular hospital beds, not just ICU, we're all restricted, the extra restrictions on the unvaccinated is due to them taking up a disproportionate amount of COVID hospital capacity regardless of which category TimeLadsPlease has them in.

Also, take up of the vaccine among those with underlying conditions has been very high so it's likely that the conditions aren't that severe among the unvaccinated hospitalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

We don't know what ages for anyone but I may have read there are 40 pregnant unvaxxed women in ICU,lets say almost half of everyone in ICU is pregnant but unvaxxed.

I was surprised at that figure, so a quick google and yes, 34 unvaccinated pregnant women have been in ICU..... for the entire year. Not currently in ICU. That's a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I only get the numbers from here, people complain they use April numbers as they should be more up to date. You can't blame the unvaxxed for the reduction in bed spaces we currently have due to gross mismanagement by our current and previous governments. We had more bed spaces in the 80s but now we have less but our population has grown 1m ? Overfunded and poorly managed HSE has us were we are.

20b a year with the amount of staff per population compared to any other EU state is horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

So my original post about this seems to be deleted, I don't know why.

Anyway, I like the way BBC are just dismissing this as "far right".

People are waking up to this tyranny, it's about time too ..

Whose They?

Most if not all figures have been recent, as in the last week or currently. People who don't want to believe the figures assume the figures are since April, but they get called out with the most recent figures.

Yes the HSE is run badly, yes we don't get value for money etc.... nobody will argue with that.

That's not going to be changed overnight or during a pandemic, it seems like a scapegoat lately.

It's what we have at the moment and pointing out it's failings won't end the pandemic any sooner.

Strange the BBC aren't leading about Johnson looking at mandatory vaccinations.

He only said it warrants a discussion, but of course Ursula said the same and received a little different press coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

1 word Florida crusing it without any restrictions? this must be very upsetting to the covid faithful?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

How many will be killed off when excess deaths due to Government policy’s re Covid are also included? Ireland’s excess deaths for 2021 for non-Covid is increased.

Poster seems to be praising Florida for an extremely shambolic response to COVID, we went a different route and no amount of your very irate whataboutery will change that. The US response is not one for any other country to aspire to, anymore than the UK's or Brazil's was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Is this post a joke? The HSE are being scapegoated?! They are about the ONLY people that that have NOT been blamed for this ****. It’s this attitude that has us where we are. “Oh we can’t do anything about that so why bother even trying”. Absolute nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd echo Don't Chute's comments but I'd add that we shouldn't forget that this isn't a new situation - we have poured 20 BILLION euros annually (plus top-ups) into the HSE for decades at this point and yet every year we have the same reports of the service being on the brink of collapse in winter, patients on trolleys, ridiculously long waiting lists (with people dying or suffering in pain if they can't afford private insurance or going abroad), and staffing not where it needs to be in the areas that need it.

All Covid has done is provide a convenient excuse/get out over the last 18 months for these long standing problems but the fault and responsibility for this lies entirely with HSE management and the Department/successive ministers for Health, although the latter are - to be fair - working with one hand tied behind their backs because of union resistance and overly generous contracts written in/based on a different era.

As I have said many times before, post July 2020 (and certainly post July 2021 when the vaccination programme really took hold) all we have really been protecting is this ongoing waste, incompetence and inertia in what we laughably call a health "service" (but I suppose "employment scheme" wouldn't look good from a PR perspective). THIS is why we still have restrictions, blame-shifting among the population and scaremongering - as usual it's the Irish tactic of pitting one group against another to distract from the real issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,947 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I think "killed off" is slightly over the top being honest. No country or place has done everything correctly because nobody really knows what the right thing to do is. It's only in the fullness of time when we can look back at all the areas affected by both the virus and restrictions that we'll have a clearer picture.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

I can't see the US approach ever figuring anywhere on lists of what's good to do. Their own list of failures is extremely long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If Covid 19 is going to knock around in variant form for years and years, maybe even decades, will they still rollover "emergency" restrictions?

The science/technology wasn't there for Spanish Flu. Variants or relatives of Spanish Flu were probably knocking around for decades. You could even have distant relatives of the Spanish Flu floating around now that are no more than a sniffle.

So when the variants of Covid 19 evolve and evolve and evolve, you have run out of the Greek Alphabet but under testing they are still related to Covid 19, will we still have restrictions? vaccine passports? Mandatory boosters? Mask mandates?

If governments can get away with what they are doing now. What will stop them rolling it on for 10 years loose variants of Covid 19?

It's a hell of a lot of long term trust being handed over to politicians.

What do people see as the true Freedom Day? Zero restrictions. No "emergency legislation" being left in the attic but always there to be whipped out in a days notice?

Importantly, where do people see themselves this time next year? The HSE shouting from the roof tops like Scotty in Star Trek saying "she won't hold". Booster 3 being rolled. Do you truly believe Vaccines passports will be done away with by then? That your boosters are not going to be linked, like they are saying all around Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

^^ They are already flying the flag of "even if omicron is harmlessly mild it will still flood hospitals due to pure numbers" ...

So no, this will never end, at least every winter will be like this, at best I think we can hope for relatively normal summers...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,947 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Operation warp speed was a huge success. How many lives have been saved by that program alone?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

It was pretty much copied in Europe (BioNtech/Pfizer was first out of the gates), the UK (Oxford), Russia (Sputnik) and China (Sinovac/Pharm), so it did very well but not really any better than the rest of the superpowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

The far-right are well known for... uh... their opposition to compulsory medical procedures and the discrimination of mostly minority groups. 👀

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

If the Swine Flu had emerged in 2020 and not 2009, would we have had these lockdown measures? I firmly believe that lockdowns are the byproduct of the overabundance of information we have at our disposal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I don't think so - swine flu would have killed people but the problem with COVID is not that it kills so many, its that so many require ICU specifically.

Even high hospital numbers wouldn't cause lockdowns to the same extent, and can be mitigated with COVID field hospitals if necessary, but the ICU numbers is the big problem.

High deaths really would happen one way or the other - lockdowns cause them to just happen over a longer period, but that means the ICU cases come over a longer period and you can cope.

Advertisement