Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,622 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Those trousers are a bit, er, snug Paul!

Bring on the (supposedly faulty) windmill!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Pretty sure that was a Series 3 version of the Fairlight Synthesizer Durand's had plugged in on stage there. Initial ones were released to market in 1979.

PED!!

• Advertisement

YOU TAKE ME UP!!!

OOOH OOOH!!!

:)

Yes, I WILL go for it in ‘85.

Relax!

:)

Rick Parfitt's dealer probably had a very good Christmas with that lot about to feed.

• Advertisement

Live Ozzy gig over on Sky Arts from 2002 now - he is 73 today bless him. They'll be postponing his next tour for a decade it seems - I gave up and got a refund. Saw him in the same 500 capacity club I saw Def Leps in 1991 - he played a couple of unbelievable legendary nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Had forgotten Robert Trujillo was part of Ozzys band

MR. CROWLEY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

No no no. Get Back is a great song.Macca was on a hell of a roll at that stage. Get Back, Let It Be, Long and Winding Road, Two of Us.Lennon’s output during that period pales in comparison.Some of his 70’s stuff was great too. Band on The Run, Jet, Live and Let Die, Coming Up. OK, he hasn’t really done much worthwhile since the early 80’s, but still. Easy to see why George Harrison was getting so frustrated at that stage. He was really blossoming at that point too. At one point in the documentary he’s telling Lennon that he has something like 20 songs, enough for his contribution to the next 10 Beatles albums, and wants to do a solo album.

Really enjoyed The Proclaimers documentary last night, they have had some fabulous albums over the years and tend to go under the radar with the exception of their bigger hits! Scotland’s finest!

Yeah I saw that before and jumped over to it during breaks. Really sounds lads too, time will be good to them.

Seeing as we are still without le Skid:

BBC2 tonight

22:00 - Phil Lynott: Songs for While I'm Away

Documentary on the life and music of Phil Lynott, telling the story of how a young working-class black boy from 1950s Dublin became Ireland's greatest rock star.

23:30 - Sight and Sound in Concert

Archive performance by Irish guitar rockers Thin Lizzy in concert at the Regal Theatre, Hitchin. The set includes Jailbreak, Cold Sweat and The Boys Are Back in Town.

It's kind of strange so long after their demise Lizzy and Philo are getting such mainstream recognition. They've been my favourite band since I was a kid and always will be.

“I went in with a brown cardigan, and came out with a leather jacket.”

John Kelly not moved by Thin Lizzy, just a mix-up in the cloakroom :D

Just as Midge Ure joined Thin Lizzy, he was replaced by Joe Dolce.

#foiledagain

Cold sweat is quite appropriate. Sun Goes Down is the song but their performance on The Tube is a band on the demise. 80's never suited them but it suited a production and songwriting that sadly unfortunately we wont hear.

By 1983 they were phucked. Black Rose (heroin), Chinatown which is shyte, Renegade (heroin) and BBC probably only have rights to that 1983 laboured gig. RTE cut off this broadcast of the National Stadium of this band in 1975. Two of the three first albums they released are the best of the thirteen. Vagabonds is a masterpiece.

Post edited by dasdog on

• Advertisement

I miss Skid. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Woah, wait, I'm not here that much lately cos I'm a bit busy.

Where hell Skid?

Not sure - Skid did warn of an sabbatical a few weeks ago so lets hope things are okay.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds BBC Four Session tonight - only an hour long but could have gone on for three. Don't know if any of you caught the gig in Kilmainham a few years ago but it was one of those magical summer evenings. Supposed to happen again in the Point this year but...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,094 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Watching Tom Petty on BBC4 replay of a 1978 Old Grey Whistle Test concert and Im like... this guy is too young to be him!

I guess he is locked in my mind to his 90s video persona.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Sting and The Police night on BBC2.

shudder

Always funny watching Sting and Stewart Copeland mugging for the camera pretending to be ‘bescht matesch’, when they were actually taking lumps out of each other.

Who knew that Sting could be so punchable? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Wash your keyboard out with soap & water! 🧐

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is that just the best backing band that EVER existed? It's a great show.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BBC Four Top of the Pops

Fri 17.12.2021 20:00 - 21:00 (60 min.) and Sat 18.12.2021 01:00 - 02:00 (60 min.) 25/12/1989

Jakki Brambles, Bruno Brookes and Gary Davies present the pop chart programme, first broadcast on 25 December 1989 and featuring Bros, The Beautiful South and Jason Donovan. Presenters - Jackie Brambles - Bruno Brookes - Gary Davies

Mon 20.12.2021 19:00 - 20:00 (60 min.) and Tue 21.12.2021 01:35 - 02:35 (60 min.) 25/12/1990

Mark Goodier and Anthea Turner present a Top of the Pops Christmas Day special, including a review of the hits that topped the charts in 1990 and featuring performances by The Beautiful South, Elton John and Kylie Minogue.

Tue 21.12.2021 19:00 - 20:00 (60 min.) and Wed 22.12.2021 01:35 - 02:35 (60 min.) Christmas 1986

Peter Powell presents the pop chart programme, first broadcast on 25 December 1986, featuring performances by Billy Ocean, The Communards, a-ha, Diana Ross and George Michael Europe - Doctor and the Medics - Cliff Richard - The Young Ones - Spitting Image - Boris Gardiner - Diana Ross - Berlin - Simply Red - Nick Berry - Falco - George Michael - Pet Shop Boys.

Wed 22.12.2021 Top of the Pops: Christmas 1978 19:00 - 20:00 (60 min.)

Noel Edmonds presents a special Top of the Pops from 1978, with Darts, Abba, Boney M, Brotherhood of Man, Father Abraham, Bee Gees, Brian and Michael, Wings and Showaddywaddy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BBC Four Top of the Pops continued

Thu 23.12.2021 Top of the Pops: Christmas 1978 01:30 - 02:30 (60 min.) as above

Thu 23.12.2021 Top of the Pops: Christmas 1998 19:00 - 20:00 (60 min.)

Jayne Middlemiss, Kate Thornton and Jamie Theakston present the Top of the Pops Christmas special from 1998, featuring Spice Girls, Robbie Williams, B*Witched, Fat Les, LeAnn Rimes and Boyzone.

Over on BBC Two Thu 23.12.2021 Top of the Pops 1984: Big Hits 22:35 - 23:35 (60 min)

Performances by The Smiths, Duran Duran, Sade, The Weather Girls, Wham!, Bronski Beat, Madonna, Miami Sound Machine, Cyndi Lauper, Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Black Lace.

Advertisement