Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭OldRio

Watching the game yesterday and the second half scrummage performance by the bench was not good.

Also restarts?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Here’s a thought experiment for ya, TRC. Imagine supporting another province.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Nah I think you have just been overthinking things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I was confused by some of the scrum penalties we conceded. On first look, there were a few where we seemed to have the shove, but I think the ref pinged us for popping up? How much of the struggles were down to ref interpretation versus actually getting beaten?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Rewatched the game. We weren't as poor as I thought on initial viewing. Our physicality was top notch and was a massive improvement over recent performances. We had Bath retreating at almost every collision. Can't stress how good the front row were as a carrying unit.

Bath were dreadful in defence and made a hames of even the basic things, but Leinster were ruthless in punishing them regardless. Lowe in particular was excellent. His overall contribution to our attack has really come along in leaps and bounds. He's always been a great line breaker and offloader. But now he has developed into a proper playmaker as well. Ringrose had a strong game too. Not as eye catching as Lowe, but he did all the subtle stuff and basics to a high level. They were my picks of the best from the backline anyway.

Our intensity definitely dropped after 50 minutes though. The forwards didn't win as many collisions and the backs didn't get as good a platform to perform. Overall it was a decentish performance. Lots to work on, but it was good to see us cycling through the gears again.

We missed Ryan a lot today. He's more physical than Molony or Baird in the tight exchanges and I feel like we missed his ability to get his hands free. Baird tried to do that, but spilled the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The pack really needs to be dominating the scrum to the point there's no room for interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

What the actual f* is this s*!? Comparing our second choice 10 to other first choice 10s in terms of our ability to win the competition? Also, Ntmack sure as hell wasn’t all that yesterday himself, but sure to hell with maintaining any form of perspective.

Our front row got embarrassed!? What!? How? We lost 1 scrum and 1 line out. Meanwhile those 3 made 91m, beat 6 defenders, made 3 clean breaks and scored 2 tries. They were fine at set piece and light years ahead of anyone else in the loose.

You’d expect a team with ambitions of winning the trophy to lay down a marker? Like Toulouse you mean? Who relied almost entirely on DuPont to beat a hugely weakened Cardiff!? Racing? They were grand but nothing special against a hopeless Northampton. They were coasting in that game.

Teams don’t win the HEC in round 1. We need to ignore that last 20 mins yesterday. We had Frawley at 10 for the first time in around a year or so. We had the 2 O’Briens in the centre. Have they ever played there together, let alone with Frawley at 10? We were missing Ryan so Toner, whose form is poor, came on. And for the last 5 or so we deliberately played with 14 men. We clearly decided that once the game was out of Baths reach we’d try a few things. It didn’t pan out but it didn’t cost us either. We were good enough in the first half but were probably a little guilty of complacency, especially in the second half.

We’ll probably see very little of Sexton until the HEC knock outs. And even then that’ll depend on who we are playing. If we have him, Ryan and Henshaw available as well as maybe Conan too, we’ll be in as good a position as anyone else to challenge for things. I just don’t understand why some here are so keen to find any and every fault and blow them all wildly out of proportion. Some serious catastrophising going on for very little reason IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The problem with scrums is that there is always room for interpretation. The ref definitely got very generous towards Bath in the second half. Anything close to a 50:50 invariably tended to go their way. Bath were boring in at most scrums and weren’t pinged for it once.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

VDF had another strong game. He's playing at a consistently high level these days. It's getting to the stage where a 7/10 performance is the minimum you expect from him. Which is quite ridiculous really.

We miss the strong carrying and dynamism that Conan brings though. Ruddock played well enough, but he's not as powerful a carrier as the former. When everyone is fit the starting backrow has to be Doris, VDF and Conan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It seems to depend on the ref. Impose yourself on the first couple and the 50-50s tend to go your way with a lot of officials.

I thought Frawley looked class yesterday. I've rarely seen him have a poor performance and I really don't get why he's not considered a serious option at 10.

For all the talk of ceilings, when he's played he's produced the goods as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I would have thought that yesterday would be as good an example as you could get of why Frawley isn’t considered for 10. In fairness he hasn’t played there in over a year but he was not great at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

This is Hilarious, Leinster had the game won in 30 mins, they then got too cocky and started to play Harlem Globetrotter rugby.

What teams were more impressive over the w/end, Toulouse were pretty average. Racing were good but Saints were embarrassingly bad. Ulster were excellent but sorry if both put out their top teams, Leinster are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Wonder how it works if neither team can field, 28/28 draw bonus point draw would be alright in the grand scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Presume it might be a case of whoever blinks first and declares they can't fulfill the fixture (if it gets to that).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

There's something just a little bit off about how Leinster are playing at the moment. I can't quite put my finger on it, but they're not managing to exploit soft shoulders and punch over the gainline as much as Ireland did against Japan and New Zealand with largely the same players. It was noticeable against the Bulls earlier in the season as well, I thought. Leinster had to have players latching on to make ground post contact because they weren't finding soft shoulders enough for individual runners to do it.

They don't seem to be trying to fix the issues in the second row. 19-year olds Okeke and Campbell got on fine for Munster at the weekend, but Leinster went for two backrowers on the bench against Ulster rather than get 20-year old Joe McCarthy involved in the XXIII. I don't know why they're discriminating against Jack Dunne when it comes to selection. It's not a case of him being in heavy training to bulk up, because they were happy for him to go off and play for the Baabaas. Personally, I would have started Toner against Bath - because I think he would probably complement the Baird man better than Molony would - but if he's only benching, would it not have been better in the long run if Dunne got those minutes?

Perhaps Leinster are trying to give off the impression they have limited options in the 2nd row so the Union would be more likely to sanction a signing. Leinster and the second row: it's a bit like Munster and centres; always feel they have to have an NIQ in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Discrimination and conspiracy theories what a stinking pile of nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Dunne was ruled out of that game due to covid after the ba ba's camp same as vermulen for Ulster.

Someone pointed out that Josh Murphy is being looked at as a 2rd Row option now. At 6 5 he's a similar height to Moloney and Baird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Piling on the ref excuses after a comprehensive win is not something I feel good about doing. But in the case of Pierre Brousset, I'll have to make an exception.

This was not a refereeing performance worthy of European rugby.

Upon rewatch - he mixed missing some blatant calls with just never really getting a feel for the game and inconsistency followed suit.

Josh can feel really aggrieved. He whistled him 3 times that I counted. 2 for not rolling away. One of these he rolls away and is cleared back in on top of the ball as he's getting up (in an "east to west" motion) extremely soft but clever play by Bath. Another of these not roll aways he's making a genuine effort and not impeding the 9 and still gets whistled. This is one of the more 50/50 calls we see every game so I'll let it slide. But there was a lot more play acting by players on both sides that went unpunished.

But the real one that irks me was the offside that granted Bath their first 3 points. When bath take their lineout Josh is in the backline and takes a step forward (so yes is technically offside) but is only reaction to the Bath wing running a decoy line while the ref clearly has his hands up to indicate the maul is not over. The dude is 8m offside before the ref calls maul over and then Josh get's whistled for being offside.

There's also something that irks me about sealing off penalties. Not that they're given per se - both sides were rightly penalised for sealing off. But if you're gonna call 1 you gotta call them all. Blowing for sealing off isn't just a "do when you feel like it" thing. He must have called less than a 3rd of them.

So we've seen he's quite a pedantic ref - fine. But he's not even consistently pedantic. Not a single penalty was given for side entry. If he's big on his ruck laws why ignore this aspect completely? Side entries offer even less competition at a ruck than sealing off.

I think McBryde and the Leinster front row can feel particularly aggrieved with the scrum too. While Bath got the upper hand a few times fairly. They took the complete piss knowing that Pierre hadn't a clue how to officiate it properly. The driving angles were borderline dangerous.

• Advertisement

I see Van Graan is leaving Munster. He isn't a particularly good coach and Munster have regressed under his tenure.

Munster have had varied success over the last decade with head coaches. More poor appointments than successes imo. Makes me glad for the relative stability at Leinster.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

^

100%

while at the game i felt he was completely giving most 50/50s to the loosing side, especially at scrum time, knowing there woudlnt be too much impact on the game as bath were dead after 25 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Could be harsh but I've zero sympathy for any of our players if they get done for not rolling away, having rolled towards the opposition scrum half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Surely if munster can field a team missing 34 players. Leinster can field a team if missing 10 or 15 players.

And seemingly they are training today..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Have they regressed?

Their results have been pretty similar to what they were under Erasmus.

I'd say they've plateaued but at least they've actually got some decent young blood coming through

Yes I think they're worse than when Erasmus departed. Squad is stronger overall but perfoances have never gone on to the next level. That's regression in the context of team sports, I think. Their rivals improved while they stood still.

I think there have been times when they threatened to actually become something more. The SF performance against Toulouse was impressive. But they followed that up by stinking the place out against Leinster in the league final. His Munster never had the consistency, nor the ambition to become a properly good side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

• Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

JVG win ratio is significantly lower than Erasmus. Something like 64% compared to 77%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

And seemingly they are training today..

Training was supposed to be cancelled today, unless that has changed?

The risk is not that we're missing 10 or 15 players, it's that the numbers keep going up as the week goes on.

Advertisement