Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

This is a story from the current front line in Donbas. It seems that the ongoing conflict has made what was once a Russian speaking area much more pro-Ukraine.

Since the war began, Avdiyivka’s character has changed. According to Mariia Lepilova, a former teacher, the younger generation is more pro-Ukrainian. Donbas was once mostly Russian-speaking. There had been a switch to the Ukrainian language in schools and shops, she said. Children learn Ukrainian in class from the age of six or seven

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

Approx. 28 million soviet citizens died during WW2 - I wouldn't call that being the "primary victors".

The US was the primary victor.

They emerged from the war with a streamlined industrial base, the British gold reserves, the paramount supplier/seller of military hardware, managing to push the Imperial/colonial powers to release their colonies, while also establishing a range of international agreements limiting other countries, without being bound by them themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

The US was the primary victor.

Indeed, and I believe that is the standard interpretation or version of the final result of WW2, surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

On the Western double standards I was wondering what happened at the UN over the flight MH17 incident. I didn't know and was curious as it seemed like the kind of thing the countries worst affected might try to raise there. They (Malaysia, Netherlands) did, but of course it got nowhere because Russia is a permanent UN security council member, one of the guardians of the global peace post WW2 etc. Russia may not be a superpower any more & much reduced from Soviet Union days, but it is a big & powerful country with alot of clout, and as such not really a good example of a victim of international double standards created by the West.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33710088

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Russia's web brigades/influence operations? Friend, I've been posting on this forum for many years before you. This isn't some sock account registered a few weeks ago. I would indeed cringe at some of the posts I made 20 years ago. But they were my views then, and these are my own views now. So give the laughable Russian bots/psy ops narrative a rest. It is possible someone can independently reach views that disagree with your own.

I know "you" should be a real Irish person unless someone or something else has your account now. If you reread I claimed the ideas themselves may originate from said bots/trolls [I don't know if they do but they put a spin on things I could imagine Russian govt. would approve of], not that you are a bot.

They seem like very unique ways of viewing German reunification (when poor East Germany got anschlussed by the West), Yugoslav war(s) (NATO sent in troops to carve up the country) + the Iraq war / other ME wars (involving "the EU" and "NATO" as belligerants). I don't think its just me that would disagree...very strongly with them. I've never heard anything like it at all, but if they are your own wild ideas fair enough. If they come from somewhere else originally, would be interested to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I have my own negative views of the Russian government. I would have thought that would have been clear when I summarised Russia's intervention in Crimea and the Donbass as a flawed/desperate reaction to events. That is even aside from the very real prospect that Putin and the Russian government bombed their own people to create a casus belli in Chechnya. Putin is ice cold.

But forgive me for being cynical when it comes to EU/NATO (or "western" if it helps you accept my view as genuine) suddenly considering national borders to be sacred above any other principle given recent history. As I pointed to, the argument seems to be that might makes right. When EU/NATO interests are in play, then national sovereignty can and must be violated. Whereas if Russia considers its own interests to be in play, then it is an evil monster for violating national sovereignty. By contrast, lets go through some of the more recent western/EU/NATO interventions across national borders: The re-introduction of slave markets to Libya. The total atrocity of ISIS rule in Syria. The frozen conflict that is the former Yugoslavia. As for Iraq and Afghanistan....

I can assure you, I'm not a paid agent of the Russian government ( though I will accept donations if they do want to pay me). I'm just a realist calling bullshit on the emperors wearing no clothes. Clearly the EU and NATO (including the US) tried to make a play for Ukraine to threaten Russia. Russia responded in a predictable fashion when national security is on the line. Geopolitics is a big boys game. How else should Russia react to a "western" mindset which is so virulently hostile to Russia that it was seriously entertained that a country with an economy smaller than South Korea or Canada picked the president of the USA? People need to grow up and realise that actions lead to reactions. The fake outrage only indicates incompetency in my eyes.

It's not about being a victim of the west... that's simply pushing things to extremes as a way of dismissing it. This is about what's been done to place the world in the position it currently is... and why that is. Russia isn't any kind of victim. At the same time though, they have been pushed and pushed over the decades by the West and/or the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

Really?

So now the Ukrainians have to ask permission to traverse waters that are not theirs. How dreadful.

And the Russians are not allowed to move a regiment in their own land?

Russia will not invade Ukraine.

Russia doesn't need to. America wants to gobble up Ukraine and use it as a dump site.

US/UK could not give a toss about the people of Ukraine OR Crimea,

So bitch, NATO, bitch all you want

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

All this crap is to do with nothing more than Putin's increasing sociopathy and delusion that the Russian Federation is somehow entitled to claim the former Soviet republics as vassals and buffers.

Every year we see evidence of his paranoia and his growing extremism to hold on to power within Russia at all costs in a filthy, rotten and corrupt structure, more than a bit of his own making.

These foreign excursions are just a distraction attempt, trying to fool his own people into looking anywhere but at his failings and the condition of Russia because of him.

The only thing to be done with Russia at the moment is to stomp on their nonsense at every hands turn. Just like Britain and Brexit, Russia doesn't actually hold any cards and the longer this goes on, the more stupid and impotent Moscow looks.

I wonder who in Moscow is thinking of life after Putin. Cos someone should be.

I can't wait for the Russian invasion. I've been waiting for them to storm across the border into Lithuania for 20 years. I've been waiting for Iran to have the "bomb" since 2005 and wipe Israel off the map (as they said back then)

Once the Venezuelans stop eating flamingos because there's nothing else to eat (I had no problem finding a boccadillo when I was in Caracas 8 months ago).

SO!

The Russians have massed 100,000 soldiers on the border with Ukraine? Really? Aren't they allowed to do that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

They certainly are. The question is "why"?

That's not a cheap movement, and it won't do the morale of the troops any wonders to be living in field conditions for months on end. They are either there to be used, or to signal that they are there to be used, the question of 'which' must be resolved in a month or two before something 'breaks'. We generally hope the latter case holds, but if so why send the signal?

To give you an idea of the scale, the largest annual NATO maneuver (Defender Europe) is under 30,000 men from 26 countries. Even the largest Russian exercise in decades, Zapad 2021, was under 20,000 men. They used less than 100,000 men in the actual war against Georgia in 2008.

One can understand why the Russian military build-up is an attention-getter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,327 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It would be interesting to know the make up of those troops. In the war with Georgia, iirc they used poorer quality units in the initial push. I haven't read much analysis of Russia's ability to supply and sustain operations from it's borders. They certainly don't have the capacity that the US does by any stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Don't "shatter" yourself with all that rhetoric ;)

I get the impression they've upped their game significantly since, they seem to be better organised in Dornbos, Crimea and also Syria. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if this also isn't a maneuver to keep the military on their toes. It actually ticks a lot of boxes for the Kremlin without actually having to take significant military action.

It is really unfortunate that 'the West' is used as a shorthand vs Russia (done it msyelf many's the time) as though Russia is entirely other to our world. It is not. Russian contributions to what we regard as classical western culture and fine art is massive. At least in its western portion, it is very much part of our world.

Would it be more accurate to describe the situation as the Anglo-American led war machine vs the Russian war machine?

Russia is a European country. We owe them a massive debt for helping defeat the Germans in WW2.

What's going on now is annoying from both sides. Not sure how it'll pan out

• Advertisement

Almost impossible to disentangle military posturing from real intent on either side, as always. Agree it's annoying, and threatening. There is more to this world than the geopolitical ambitions of the US, UK, Russia and the other power blocs.. militaristic countries pose a threat to us all.

It's pretty black/white, Putin (and more than a few Russians) believe Ukraine is more a province, not a sovereign country, would like to take the country by force. However it's the 21st century, it's difficult for the Kremlin to manufacture a case to validate invading the country, or even creating border incidents. Therefore it's likely this is all a playbook act to get concessions and appease nationalists, but in either case, whether attacking Ukraine, or threatening it as they are now, Putin is the aggressor.

It's never black and white. Now if Russia invades, it will be the aggressor. Until then... And whether Russia invades or not, it is not the only militaristic country/bloc small countries like Ireland need to worry about. All that said, my sympathies are with the Ukranians (those that don't want to be sucked up into Russia again that is) here, given our historical experience of being treated as a province to be plundered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

US /EU are signalling that they will take no military action if Russia invades so its a tempting proposition for Putin particularly as he can use gas supply as leverage, however one upside from the EU/US perspective is the sight of Russia engaging in a protracted ,damaging conflict in Ukraine.

Why else did you raise these international double standards (which, as shown Russia also benefits from, because the double standards are based on power) except to paint Russia as penalised or victimised here? i.e. (unlike US and UK in Iraq) it likely won't be "allowed" to launch an(other) invasion of Ukraine without suffering consequences/punishment from the US/Europe at least.

Now you are saying we should discuss "why the world is in the state it is" while giving another excuse for Russia (poor treatment by the US post collapse of the Soviet Union this time) even though you said it was not a victim of the West? I think we're going in circles here, there's no common ground and it's just running into the sand.

Your post(s) have alot of distortions, that's what makes it hard to take the argument seriously (or even follow it?). Anything negative you say about Russia (their "flawed" actions, very mild?) is as nothing to to the rest of it. At least you left German reunification out of it now.

The EU had nothing to do with any of the military interventions mentioned as far as I was aware so should be omitted from discussion (Yugoslavia Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya).

I am no expert on the history but I think usual criticsm made of "Europe" as a collective around the events in Yugoslavia is that it was a passive spectator to largest wars and genocides in Europe since WW2 until the the US (& European NATO allies) got involved in it. Should that military intervention not have taken place?

At that time the EU had little of its own political positions or a foreign policy (which it is slowly developing over the last decade, after tools for it were created). The main driver/heavy lifter in all of the military interventions (apart from Libya perhaps) was the US. The European state most involved in all of these interventions was the UK, which is not even in the EU now of course.

Germany and France were both very opposed to the Iraq invasion and were attacked strongly over it at the time by the US/UK governments and US/UK media. There was certainly no Western or NATO unity. All that is glossed over. NATO did have a role in Afghanistan (I think US originally invoked request for assistance from NATO allies in attacking the Taliban). Do you think the US should not have attacked Afghanistan after Sept. 11th?

It seems to me more like Ukraine/Ukranians made their own sort of play to escape from Russia's influence somewhat, rather than being helpless pawns of the US/West etc. and Russia reacted very harshly and agressively to that in a way that escalated matters. The way they reacted could have been counter-productive if anything. They may have backed themselves into a corner.

On Russia/Putin "picking the USA president" you are just misrepresenting the argument about interference by authoritarian states in the democratic process in an effort to make it look absurd. The fact there is that Russia and other autocracies can and will use the modern tools provided by free and open societies like the US against them. In a tight electoral race (as US presidential election typically is) or some key referendum issue (Brexit) where it's a close run thing, a thumb on the scales giving a small boost to whatever side they back may be enough to sway it. I agree "outrage" over it happening is to an extent pointless ("why did you sting me?", said the the edit: frog to the scorpion), defending/insulating oneself against the tactic is what is important.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

Why else did you raise these international double standards (which, as shown Russia also benefits from, because the double standards are based on power) except to paint Russia as penalised or victimised here? i.e. (unlike US and UK in Iraq) it likely won't be "allowed" to launch an(other) invasion of Ukraine without suffering consequences/punishment from the US/Europe at least.

Ahh well... penalised is a far more reasonable take on the topic. Again, it's not about making Russia into some kind of innocent victim. They're definitely not. It's about applying some realism to the situation acknowledging the influence of the US (and the western powers) in seeking to limit Russia, while also going after their own interests. So, the double standards at play have relevance.

As for an attack on Ukraine, we'll have to wait and see... however, I don't see any serious will behind either NATO or the US to intervene directly. Plenty of talk, but if they were serious about it, we'd already be seeing a real commitment of personnel/hardware.

Now you are saying we should discuss "why the world is in the state it is" while giving another excuse for Russia (poor treatment by the US post collapse of the Soviet Union this time) even though you said it was not a victim of the West? I think we're going in circles here, there's no common ground and it's just running into the sand.

What excuse? Acknowledging the involvement of other nations doesn't excuse Russian aggression in the modern sense. Russia has it's claims on territory, just the same as China does, but the world has moved on. For any nation seeking to be a major player, they have to accept certain boundaries on aggressive behavior, otherwise face the consequences from international diplomacy. The hypocrisy is that the US faced zero consequences for their involvement with Iraq, which is why both China and Russia (and likely India too...), will seek to expand their territories. The older accepted rules (post cold war) were chucked out by the US engaging in an illegal war.. and them getting a free pass for it. It's opened things up for other countries to demand the same.

But sure, we are going in circles. I'm fine leaving the topic where it is now.

by free and open societies like the US against them

You really believe the US to be a free and open society? Genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

America faced plenty of consequences for its misadventure in Iraq. But, the reason the US has greater latitude to do what it does is that it has built up goodwill and alliances with countries that matter for centuries - they may have slight fall outs from time to time, but American diplomacy is an excellent example of a good balance between carrot and stick; and when you hear cloying references to "enduring alliances", the American foreign policy and security establishment ain't kidding. They have invested a lot of blood and treasure in places that matter decade after decade. They get it wrong sometimes, but I'd have it they've got it more right than wrong. We all live under Pax-Americana as contradictory as that sounds, and they are ultimately the world's security guarantor in Europe and East Asia, where all the economic action outside of North America is. No one else is stepping up to the plate. That matters, and people in power in these countries (Japan, Germany, South Korea, France etc) acknowledge it, even if it is grudgingly.

Russia has very few friends that matter a damn that they can trust - some ex-Soviet republics really, and I wouldn't include China in the mix. It hasn't got over the trauma of their Empire collapsing like a deck chair.

• Advertisement

Yeah, as said I don't think US or anyone else would get involved in it militarily if it happens beyond supporting with weapons/money and so on if the govt. can survive the attack/Ukraine isn't taken entirely.

On Iraq, you are correct that it set a very bad precedent. However I don't know if these precedents or international sets of "rules" are always a good guide when it comes to how likes of Russia, China (or the US I suppose) decide to behave in the world. They will sometimes do what they believe they can get away with, and when you are a "superpower" (or even just a power like Russia?) that can be a lot. The US is weakening relatively too & maybe also absolutely given all the internal troubles it seems to have, and that could have more to do with autocrats like Putin getting somewhat more aggressive than past US actions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement