Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mica Redress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Well. “People aren’t stupid”? .. let me just fill you in. Because you haven’t researched the whole thing properly and would prefer to scoff and mock the greedy homeowners- I will enlighten you.

you can go and Google this because I’m not going in to all the detail here for you but basically every industry is regulated. As you’d expect. The concrete industry used to test all products. In 1993 cube testing stopped. As the Celtic tiger began to roar the industry were allowed to self regulate. The government regulators say on their hands and let the guys work away themselves. They dropped the ball. We done “think” this happened. We are not making this up. This is indeed fact that you can go and find proof of for yourself if you want to.

To answer your second question - legal proceedings. A small group of homeowners proceeded to take legal proceedings in 2016. This case was undertaken by two solicitors from Buncrana. One representing the homeowners and one representing the manufacturer. The case tumbled on for a long time, the costs were mounting up on the homeowners until one day - this letter arrived in front of them (attached) That ended that.

I am not sure about the details and wouldn’t like to comment further but as far as I hear it’s possible these homeowners were duped. Surprise surprise as thats par for the course for us homeowners.

I hope these two explanation’s answer your questions and prove to you that we do not actually think that “people” are stupid. People make themselves look stupid all by themselves. They rarely need help.

The facts are all out there. Homeowners are hiding nothing or making anything up so we wish the attacks on us would stop. Also to add - as I explained in a previous post, my childrens inheritance will automatically be restored once my home is rightfully fully repaired at no cost to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

I'll ask you again as you obviously didn't read my previous post. Why haven't the campaigners brought legal action against the STATE, despite the fact the State is allegedly to blame for the defective blocks? I'll tell you why, because it's a stupid argument and they would lose.

The campaigners know this and they have now realised that the only way they will get paid is if they continue to abuse politicians and pull their children out of school to protest up in Dublin until they finally get their way.

It's times like this that I'm actually glad that FG are in Government as they won't bend the knee as easily as the likes of Paddy Diver may have hoped.

Take it, or leave it my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

"The concrete industry used to test all products. In 1993 cube testing stopped. As the Celtic tiger began to roar the industry were allowed to self regulate. The government regulators say on their hands and let the guys work away themselves. They dropped the ball. We done “think” this happened. We are not making this up. This is indeed fact that you can go and find proof of for yourself if you want to."

There's lots of building products that Governments don't test - cables, pipes, beams, joists, and blocks and cubes. How does that make the Government financially liable for any costs arising? Did the builders and architects involved in these builds not arrange their own testing, if they knew that it was a self-regulation environment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Funny the tiresome blah blah blah came to my mind when I read the start of your post.

Been gone over in this thread before if you had cared to catch up.

Yawn yawn yawn.

Repeating a lie x1000 times won't make it true

• Advertisement

Strong accusations.

Please show me these lies.

The State isn't responsible and to think otherwise is wrong, as the campaigners were likely advised by their lawyers when contemplating whether or not to sue the State.

The fact that the Mica campaigners know this and continue to say otherwise means that they are lying and purposely trying to deceive the public.

In fact there are several cases now going against the state. You are adamant that we somehow are making things up, asking for something that isn’t just and that we are undeserving of full redress. Why don’t you come up and take a drive around Inishowen and see for yourself the devastation everywhere here. And why do you refuse to get your facts straight before coming on here fighting with innocent homeowners. You haven’t don’t your research therefore you haven’t a clue what you’re talking about so I suggest that until you do, leave it. Don’t come accusing and asking homeowners for answers you can easily find if you research exactly what is actually going on here?

So this so called lye is based on what you think and not what you know.

To call people lyers is a serious accusation.

But to call people lyers when you haven't a clue about the situation says more about you than the campaigners.

Well then why are they engaging with the Government at all? Surely the prudent thing to do would be to wait and let the courts decide the outcome.

I assume it's because there are no cases being brought against the State, happy to be proven wrong.

• Advertisement

That's quite rich coming from a Mica campaigner lol. All you guys do is make accusations and insult anyone who disagrees with you.

One need only have a look on Twitter under the #MicaRedress hashtag... It's an absolute disgrace if you ask me, some of the things that have been said about the politicians fighting tooth and nail to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I've been following this story for a long time and there have been a couple of arguments put forward as to why the state is liable here:

1) Defective regulation - State did not ensure regulations were thorough enough to prevent defective products from coming to market.

2)Unenforced regulation - The State did not enforce its regulations and consequently defective products entered the market.

3) Knowing unenforced regulation - The State knew defective products were in the market but did not act to remove them.

All three arguments would fail when tested because the regulator is never responsible for the quality of products entering the market. That always lies with the seller. It's also important to note that construction products like blocks are not certified but the method of how they are produced is. If you take arguments 2 and 3 to their logical conclusion almost all marketplace materials would end up non compliant as producers would seek to undercut each other to survive knowing that in the case of a failure, it's the State not them that would be financially liable.

What politicians are you referring too.

Anyhow I think you have shown you haven't a clue what your spouting about when you call people lyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Tbh, I think all that's left of the Mica campaign's "argument" is the "whattabout the pyrite scheme". I think we'd get lost down a rabbit hole if we entertained this belief that there's some comparison - in a context where many folk in pyrite impacted houses don't qualify for that scheme, as their houses aren't deemed to be bad enough to require support. And that leaves some people stuck in unsellable pyrite houses, at financial loss. And the cost of rectifying the houses that do qualify is much less than the costs that are being sought in Donegal. It's actually not the precedent they think it is - but, then again, they're unlikely to want to hear that.

State simply can't pay 100% of the cost of rectifying everyone's house. It's like that guy turning up at the all-you-can-eat buffet with a bucket, and wonder why he's barred the next time he turns up.

At least, in recent posts, its clear that the financial restitution is the issue - and that's exactly what no State scheme can cover, as the State isn't liable.

I don't know if it will ever be possible to get mica campaigners to appreciate, at any level, that their consistent exoneration of everyone actually involved in creating these houses - the builders aren't to blame, the suppliers aren't to blame, the surveyors who noticed the cracks aren't to blame - looks strange and unconvincing when it's followed by asserting that the taxpayer, who had nothing to do with building these houses, is to blame and must carry the full cost. It's like stopping a random person in the street and saying "I have this bill and you must pay it." No wonder their campaign is losing credibility.

I suspect the reluctance to admit any responsibility on the behalf of anyone actually involved in building these houses is likely because so many of them are self-builds - if your brother-in-law is the builder who built your house, are you actually going to look him in the eye and blame him?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Just to observe, if someone takes a legal action against you and your insurance doesn't cover you for that specific risk, that's your problem and not the person suing you. I'm afraid, you've just presented another non-sequitur.

Just generally, a feature of this discussion is mica campaigners asserting "ye don't understand". If an explanation can be coaxed out of them, it's frequently found that they are actually the ones who don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In practical terms, the absence of insurance means that the legal teams of the other party won't proceed, because they've no confidence of getting their costs covered even if they win. The solicitors and barristers have no interest in winning a case against someone who isn't 'a mark' - someone who doesn't have the resources to pay up.

I don’t have thousands (not even one to spare, as many of us in Ireland don’t) to spend on a court case. Short and simple answer there.

If it's a sure thing you don't need any money as the loser pays.

And this need not be you personally, it could be a test case. If a test case was won in court, you'd have your 100% redress with no further questions and probably compensation on top of that too for anguish. The question is, why hasn't any group gone and done this. This has been going on the guts of 10 years, to "we don't have time to wait for a judgement" is not a valid excuse.

The suspicion is that the group's have been legally advised that they have no case against the State and have thus chosen a political route for compensation.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

When you say the government, what you really mean is the taxpayer. The people you're calling dickheads, scum, pricks etc, these are the people who you are insisting need to cough up the money to build you a new house.

I think you are being led up the garden path by those leading this campaign, as it seems you are under the impression that your situation must be resolved to your complete satisfaction no matter the cost, and no matter what the burden is on everyone else.

I don't think any taxpayer could reasonably dispute the government ensuring that nobody in this awful situation ends up in a place where they are not adequately housed, I don't think any taxpayer can dispute that these owners should get something. I think there are very reasonable compromises here that will see both sides of this come out with something to be happy about, but unfortunately it seems the home owners have no interest in compromise and seem intent to ensure they extract every possible cent from the rest of us as if it's our fault or our responsibility to rebuild their houses.

What has been offered is incredibly generous and significant help and still it's not enough. We're dickheads, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There are some very vindictive people out there, who seem to be enjoying winding up affected homeowners, and telling them to take what they've been offered or get lost. I'm not sure if you met them in real life would they be exactly the same, or are they just angry keyboard warriors?

I wonder if those same people were surrounded by 7000 homes in their locality, to see their family, friends, neighbours, work colleagues affected, would they still be so angry with them. Would they tell them to shut up and suck it up, and be damn glad with a poor deal. That they want their house taken in government ownership when you die, or go and chat to your builder.

I suspect not, but it's easy to be thran with strangers on the internet, cos you have no real idea what they are going through, and it's no odds to you if their house falls down it not. It's not my problem, I'm alright jack.

Well be careful and try not to gloat. There are many similar scandals coming down the tracks in the coming decades, just you wait and see. And you never know, one might affect you, or a family member, or a friend. 11 years ago no-one in the affected counties had heard of Mica, and look what it has done to thousands of families. It has wrecked their lives, and will ruin many people permanently if this isn't sorted out.

But hey, as long as I'm ok.

I'm out of this discussion now. I've felt I've said enough throughout the thread, there nothing being discussed that hasn't been discussed before.

Good luck all.

• Advertisement

"I wonder if those same people were surrounded by 7000 homes in their locality, to see their family, friends, neighbours, work colleagues affected, would they still be so angry with them. Would they tell them to shut up and suck it up, and be damn glad with a poor deal."

I can only speak for myself, but I'm not angry at you, I feel sorry for you and anyone caught up in this mess, and I doubt I'm alone in the thread. It is a genuine disaster to have befall this community but the inability to see reason, what's reasonable or hear other views seems to be a lot of the problem here. The campaign for redress has been seemingly let go on with no dissenting voices within it, and more importantly, no voices to prepare it for the compromise that has to be made. Furthermore the professional advice that the campaign made publicly available appears poor because it too doesn't confront the difficult realities but tells the audience what it wants to hear. The built up expectation of the campaign followers has now collided with reality that the State only willing to do the absolute minimum to get homes safe and that consideration of saleability, inheritance or property values are not and were never part of the equation.

The deal you have been offered you may consider poor, but poor and all as it is, it is massive assistance from your fellow citizens, in particular future first time buyers who had absolutely nothing to do with causing this too. Beyond some tinkering at the edges, the solution on the table is the shape of the end solution and a considerably better offer is not likely to be forthcoming tbh. The protesters need to recognise that this wasn't a State failing (really, it wasn't), but that of a local company for which you are getting a State assistant package to help you recover from it.

I agree with you to a certain extent regarding the lack of sugar coating of views but that entirely as a consequence of the way debate has been structured on the site and the way some posters have been happy to give it but not take it.

What lessons should someone building their first home take from this?

What documentation should be requested from the builder and their suppliers?

And that should wrap up the thread. Goodnight

“When you say the government, what you really mean is the taxpayer. The people you're calling dickheads, scum, pricks etc, these are the people who you are insisting need to cough up the money to build you a new house. 

I think you are being led up the garden path by those leading this campaign, as it seems you are under the impression that your situation must be resolved to your complete satisfaction no matter the cost, and no matter what the burden is on everyone else.”

When I say government I mean those making the decisions. When you say taxpayer, you are forgetting me. The government have failed us. ALL OF US. WHY do you attack me, a fellow tax payer?? It’s the decision makers you need to question. Not us, your friends.

I ask you to take back the comment you made about me being led up the garden path by the leaders of the campaign. I have been heavily involved in the campaign. I am a highly educated person, paying tax since I was basically a child. I have researched and questioned absolutely everything to do with this scandal. I haven’t been led up any garden path except the governments. .. I trusted them 15 years ago when I built my semi D. I believed they had my best interests at heart. They failed me. They have failed you too. Go get them. Not me.

i apologise for my language before but you must understand, we are innocent here ordinary people like you. We are being attacked all over social media every single day. We are real people. Not just anonymous contributors in an irrelevant discussion. We are living this. So excuse me for feeling frustrated and attacked.

Between myself and my husband alone, we have 9 siblings. 11 in total. 9 of us are affected by this nightmare. We are immersed and submerged in every way possible and we are drowning.

As NIMAN said, you don’t know who is next. It could be you or your nearest and dearest that find themselves in the situation we find ourselves in right now. The whole country was screwed - not just us.

I want to say one thing - you are speaking to people that are completely on their knees. There are people just about to take their lives. I would seriously consider researching a bit more before attacking us any further because this scandal is teetering on the edge of disaster now. If it’s not already there.

I am with NIMAN. I am leaving the debate. There is nothing more to say. Wish us luck. Please.

Post edited by Rodar08 on

Good luck and I hope you guys get things wrapped up soon. Goodnight

I'm not attacking you. I think you getting your house rebuilt with the taxpayer carrying the can is absurd. Do not think this is personal, it's not.

Yes, this is not your fault but it's not our fault either.

I think, as taxpayers, we have a responsibility to ensure that none of you end up homeless or in unsuitable accommodation over this. But as taxpayers, your children's inheritance is not our concern, and you insisting you want the same house built again is not our problem.

This whole "I trusted the government when I built my house", implying that this makes it all their fault, is total and pure crap by the way. You trusted the builder, you trusted your suppliers, you trusted your engineers, you trusted your surveyors etc. Governments are not experts in building houses.

Did you put up as much as an objection about the pyrite scheme that was completed before this. If not why not.

Is this the scheme from about 8 or 9 years ago?

I do not remember this costing the taxpayer over 3billion to rebuild houses to spec, but maybe I am misremembering and you can link me to the facts figures for it?

Facts and figures are nothing to do with this.

Other homeowners in this country had homes that were made unsafe by pyrite.

There homes were repaired 100% with no cost to the homeowners.

That is all the homeowners want in Donegal.

The precedent has been set.

According to the media coverage options 2-5 allow for 100% redress, i.e. repair, just like what the pyrite scheme received. I don't think there were any rebuilds for pyrite, or at least they were a tiny minority if any.

The protesters here are looking at option 1 here as if all will get that. Really only the very worst examples will be approved for a rebuild, which is obvious from the proposed budget. I suspect for a significant proportion of homeowners, they may not even get the outer leaf done as damage won't be significantly advanced enough to enter the scheme or warrant the disruption that the building work will cause - as without inner leaf work, the property value won't really be enhanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭howiya

The precedent set by the pyrite scheme is approximately €20m government spending per annum since 2014. Be careful what you wish for.

Advertisement