Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Even John mullane said on radio one it looked like he was trying to get noel mcgrath sent off.i know you do what you have to do to win but this is something no one likes.They went down handy enough a good few times but ultimately dessie was a great outlet in attack.

Ballyhale absolutely steeped today and after such a good start it was hard to foresee what was going to happen. I said here the other day I wouldn't be suprised to see them bet and fennelly and evan shefflin went off injured but they have strength in their panel. But the weeks and injuries could catch up on them Paddy and Darren mullen both very good when they came on.Croke Park will suit them.Eoin cody capped of a great week with another very good performance and he should have a great future ahead of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

With both of his brothers harshly sent off, Brian Mc Grath got clothes lined, but didnt even hit deck, tried to keep going and didnt even look at ref, just wanted to play on. Real Tommy Walsh stuff. Even though they are undoubtedly our fiercest rivals, we have an awful lot in common with Tipp in terms of playing style and on field manliness.

Dessie Hutch is an absolute nightmare to mark, a ball of energy and so direct. But feel Ballygunner will come up short again, not enough support for him.

Ballyhale's performance in 2nd quarter was awful, they just felt it was going to be a cake walk and started overplaying the ball and Rynaghs then just got stuck in to them.

It's incredible to belive that BC thinks we have at least 6 defenders in county better than Joey Holden and Darren Mullen. I'd be unsure if we have any better than either at present?

Even allowing for Ballyhale misfiring, Rynaghs performance must surely augment the case that Offaly hurling is moving back in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

I thought the county final was Joey Holden last game as was said here.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I see the county convention is taking place tonight. No challengers to any of the current incumbents which is disappointing considering the criticism of the board over the last year are two! Are they a bit fortunate that Covid may have stopped clubs holding meeting to put up challengers? I’m not a 100% but is this the last year for a number of the current top table before they’ll have to step down or move to different positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dodgysub

Any word on any motions passed at the AGM particularly the motion re u18?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Erins Own had a motion into change minor back to U-18 and there was a good discussion on it, in general I think the vast majority of people on the meeting were in favour of it. The county boards reluctance to move away from what Croke Park want (i.e minor at U-17) is the probably the only thing stopping the change, that being said they were saying they were going to reword the motion and put it to Croke Park to have inter county minor changes from U-17 to U-18. Looking at other counties there does seem to be a lot of motions coming into change the age groups back to what they were previously.

Interesting.

Presumably that means you'd have no change until 2023 at best so?

Yeah I wouldn’t imagine it’ll be something that will happen quick enough for 2022.

Has anyone any idea of how the panel is shaping up for next year or of any new players brought in? The reshuffle of the groups for the league will give us a few tough games to try out lads for the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

Eoin Cody is as good a corner forward as there is out there at the minute.

He is a tough hoor aswel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

The shamrocks won well yesterday a lot of pundits reckon it should not have been played in croke park it was a big advantage to the shamrocks you have to wonder. TJ seems to be still carrying that injury, is it the munster champions they are playing in the semi final the same pundits will probably propose the burren to take the advantage away from the shamrocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I see the question being asked : Should the Munster final be played in Croke Park , to give those teams a feel for the ground ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Probably two ways of looking it wasn't it great for clough ballacolla to be heading to croke park yesterday.God knows if they'll get there again but on the flip side wouldn't cw be perfect and it would of suited ballacolla better. Shamrocks went to town in croke park and some of their movement was fantastic.They will play the galway lads I'm nearly sure and should have time to get a few injuries right and Joe cuddihy will be back. It's a pity it went as bad as it did for ballacolla but shamrocks will do that yesterday to alot of teams in the big opens spaces and a great sod

Fair play to darragh corcoran yesterday.Hurl broke off his hand and he didn't even go down.Compare that to the play acting last week from ballygunner

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Balacolla ran in to a perfect storm (Shamrocks in Croker in a mean mood) and it was hard not to feel sorry for them.

But Shamrocks similarly rotovated Kilmallock and St Thomas in AI finals so Balacolla shouldnt beat themslves up over this, they've had a great year and taking out Wexford and Dub champs shows they can hurl.

Agree on comments on Corcoran manning up, but scandalous ref didnt even give a free for what was a very dangerous pull.

Would have been sad to see Ballacolla get a red card, but the pull was miles worse than anything either Mc Grath did last week.

Great outings all over field, Darren Mullen save for a few wayward deliveries was imperious again, and Richie Reid lorded it all day. Colin Fennelly still a destructive player on big match days. Eoin Cody growing in confidence every day. Adrian Mullen better form than in county champ and you feel there is a big game coming. Only worry for club and county has to be TJ, who even before he hurt his leg didnt look to be fully fit.

The Shamrocks use of the ball is in such stark contrast to the county team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭big_drive

Have to say on the Corcoran incident no way was that a free, nor a dangerous pull. Watch it back, was a text book pull

Corcoran never protected his hand, left his own hurl to side. Ballacolla player did absolutely nothing wrong

It was super refereeing

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mullinr2

It's mad alright, the difference in Ballyhales use of the ball and their movement in the forwards compared to Kilkennys. Does Cody not see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Sad news on the passing of Jim Freeman,secretary of The Kilkenny G.A.A. Supporters club He was dedicated to the cause and will be sorely missed and hard to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

Absolute gentleman. Will be sorely missed. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Village87

There was a lot of talk on this forum over the last few months of up to 10 lads to retire or be dropped off the panel. Nothing materialising yet. It seems harder to get off the panel nowadays than get on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Unfortunately there are some lads that are happy out being “kilkenny hurlers” that have done the grand sum of f*ck all in a Kilkenny jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Village87

With the exception of TJ, Padraig Walsh and Eoin Murphy any other player between 29-32 should either retire or be dropped. Clearly not good enough. That has been evident since 2015. 7 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Genuine question - replace all the dropped players with whom? Have you even a few suggestions? Or heard of any brought in?

Post edited by Grats on

I'm really struggling to figure out the mindset of these players. For the last couple of years there have been multiple reports of "unhappiness" among the players with regard to the gameplan/tactics or lack of. This has imo led to a poor atmosphere around the camp. Surely the fact that players are staying on the panel would suggest they're happy enough with the set up? I read rumors of McGarry,Gorta and Phelan stepping down after the Cork match.....have they returned in return for a change in gameplan or were they ever even thinking about leaving?

Thoughts?

I'm going to go out and a limb and say 98% of rumours are total bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭robwen

And a lot of them are originating in WhatsApp s from China

• Registered Users Posts: 38 VelaSupernova

Any word on club managers for 2022?

Niall Rigney appointed Erin's Own manager is all I have heard.

• Advertisement

I think he got on well with the village??

Have the Boro anyone yet?

Advertisement