Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Well if I'm honest I figured as much so made a point of checking in. Completely understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Christmas is really tough when you're grieving ❤️ all you can do is feel the emotions and take it day by day. The log will still be here when you're ready 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

She's just a bit underwhelmed at finishing behind some ancient aul fella at Jingle Bells. 😉

Much like Healy with AMK she ran it as a tempo run. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I wasn't sure if I was going to post this but I've had it done since last week so decided tonight I wanted to put it up. Anyone that reads my log knows I'm a bit of emotional person to say the least & well this is no different...

Jingle Bells 5k Race Report

I was looking forward to this race. Wasn't really sure what to aim for target wise but knew I needed to control the 1st 2kms as I have found them really tough in the past. Arrived at the park & found a parking spot (just about). It was absolutely freezing so I kept a few layers on me & set off for my warm up. There was a lovely buzz around the park which was really nice. Got back to my car & changed into my Elf running gear. I remember when I ran in 2019 & my dad completely ripping the p1ss out of me for wearing the elf socks & tshirt!! I set off down to the start line where a decent crowd had built up. Settled into a spot & waited eagerly to get going.

And we were off, a bit of navigating here to try move past people so that I could settle into a pace. I knew I had to keep my mind positive as previously these kms felt so tough to me, I didn't know if this was going to cost me today. I settled into pretty much my target pace for now, 1st KM clocked in at 4:14 so I was happy with that. Feeling good heading into the 2nd KM where P passed by me. I tried to stay in a little group here but felt I needed to push on a little to keep to the pace, I broke away from then but then a man came up beside me & we pretty much ran together side by side for the rest of this KM, which again clocked at 4:14. Still feeling good as I went around the corner onto the OS road, but the breeze felt a fair bit stronger. I knew I needed to pick up the pace for this KM if I was to have any chance of just getting a PB. Seen P just ahead of me & decided to up the pace which meant I passed him at this stage. This started to feel really hard, not so much physically but something inside felt really wrong. P passed by me at this stage, I felt terrible, I just couldn't sustain the pace, which wasn't a whole lot faster than the 1st 2km. I remember looking at the side of the road where the path was & literally wanting to just stop to sit down & cry... The feeling was so overwhelming, every single part of me was saying stop, stop now. I knew I was struggling with my emotions & my head & wondered how I'd be able to finish it off. I dug really really deep & decided today wasn't going to be the day I didn't finish a race. Times & paces went out the door at this stage, all I wanted to do was finish the race & not fall to the ground an emotional mess. I remember turning onto the finish & thinking god this is never ending. I crossed the line just under 21mins feeling absolutely exhausted & feeling so strange. I gathered myself together and managed a few smiles & chats with some boardsies. I knew I needed to get back to my car, I needed to warm myself up as I was now frozen(all my gear was in my car) Off I went on my cooldown & was so so happy to change into some warm clothes. Sitting in my car with the heating on full blast I just cried, looks like it has all taken its toll on me & it was very evident today the emotional & physical effects it has had on me.

Jingle Bells was a very well run event so fair play to all involved.

I'm training away as normal but more than likely won't be back logging just yet, just felt I wanted to get this report up!

• Advertisement

Ah Elaine, that's tough - you still had a very good performance. I wish I'd chatted more now after the race, but I too was quite cold and anxious to find the family and get moving. The running has been admirable and impressive - top notch really, in so many ways - but of course you've had a difficult year life-wise. It's really good that you can get the emotions out, not everyone has that ability. Look forward to hearing more about your training when the time is right for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Just like the guts you showed to finish the race last week it takes guts to post like you have above.

I probably won't explain this properly but it is hard to comprehend the affect of a loss like you have had this year has on you, we sort of go into this siege mentality and show a really strong exterior when inside we are the total opposite, life really is sh*t sometimes. You just never know when things are going to hit you, bottling up your emotions is not good so having a good cry is not the worst thing, good to let things out.

I have no doubt that you dont already do this but writing down your feelings can really help aswell.

Keep up the running routine it is good for the mind and soul.......chin up kid.

Look after yourself.

Post edited by scotindublin on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Fair play putting all of that into words. You're an incredibly impressive and inspirational woman, and you're probably sick of being told how strong you are, when given the option you'd rather not HAVE to be strong! Well done on gritting it out and finishing JB so well, but equally remember there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking other options if faced with those feelings again. There are a few races in 2017 pre my own log that went a variety of ways... No coincidence I started my log that same year, i completely agree with scotindublin that writing things out is such an easy form of therapy.

Sending you virtual hugs!

Fair play to you for posting that. From my own past experiences (not nearly as bad as what you're going through now) , if I could go back in time and give that guy some practical advice I'd tell him stay away from hard racing for a while....its just too hard to dig deep when you're going through that emotional turmoil. I know you're probably thinking the training is there, the fitness is there, but it's just too hard to manage digging deep in a race right now. I dunno, it's up to you but right now I'd race for the fun of it, maybe pace some buddies if you can or arrange to meet some Boardies and run with them . Just take the pressure of yourself. It's not a time for pbs anyway that's for sure.That's the practical advice (typical me..lol).

The comments from the other folks above are all true. I couldn't really add anymore to what's already been said. I feel for you. Just be kind to yourself. You don't have have be strong any or all of the time. You need to look after yourself.

Thanks so much @Murph_D , @scotindublin , @ReeReeG & @Swashbuckler , your kind words really mean a lot to me. Yeah I think it's not so much the physical part of racing but more the mental part that's currently affecting me. I'll just train away & see where I am at for my next race with absolutely no pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Wow that's not easy to write. You kept it in well when talking to us ! Great to see you're still keeping the training going in spite of everything. Long may that continue. Look after yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Just catching here first off I just wanna say a huge condolences, I remember you mentioning long ago how close you were with your dad so I can't imagine how hard its been. In terms of your running you all things considered you have shown huge strength getting out there time and time again over last few months and its a testament to your character. I know Jingle Bells probably felt like a low but as you have said yourself you are an emotional person and you have been on that rollercoaster for months now there are times where you wont be able to ride that wave and it will get the best of you and that is okay, if a fire burns hot enough you are gonna expect the odd minor burn but the main thing is to not let those lows take away from your outlet.

It's a phrase that gets bandied about a bit too loosely these days but your strength of character truly is an inspiration.

God this caught me right in the heart, actually all teary eyed...

Thanks so much L, I hope all is well with you & your little family. Great to see you back😊

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

All doing well thanks, youngest's first birthday this weekend, where has this year gone.

Give me a shout if you fancy an easy run around Corkagh at some stage. Currently there most week day mornings

• Advertisement

God the years certainly do fly by, my grandson will be 3 in a few weeks!

That sounds like a plan L, always really nice to run with company. I will give you a shout & see what we can sort😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Really sorry to read this E, I had no idea that you were going through such emotions during the race but I can only agree with what everyone else has already said in response.

How you reacted afterwards just shows how badly you wanted to do well (as if we needed convincing!) so having a meltdown from time to time is a good thing in my opinion. Goodness knows I've had my fair share over the last couple of years and I guarantee you that with the dedication you have to your training, I firmly believe you will come back stronger after this.

It is perfectly ok to have bad days, makes the good ones all the sweeter!

Take care out there!

Post edited by coogy on

Elaine had a bad day, but still a sub-21 5k. I don't think everyone realises just how good a performance that is.

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I don't think anyone suggested she had a bad race unless I missed it? Just that the responses have rightfully been focussed on all the other stuff going on.

I think it is possible to focus on both things.

I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas & Happy, healthy New Year 🎄

Happy Christmas to you and your family E. Been a pleasure following your progress this year. Always an interesting and honest log. Enjoy the trifle.

• Advertisement

Thanks P, there will be lots of trifle eaten😊 Enjoy the magic of Santa with your little ones, absolutely magical when they are small🥰

Advertisement