Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 Round 22 Abu Dhabi GP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

At the 2016 Abu Dhabi race Hamilton drove slowly and deliberately backed up Rosberg into the pack behind. He had to be repeatedly told not to do it from the pit wall but ignored them. Utter hypocrite.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Even if that is the case, Red Bull would have argument hat they were then disadvantaged because they were not given the opportunity to race the final lap even if all lapped cars could unlap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

To me it seems to hinge on whether or not Massi has the authority to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

im just sorry it wasnt Perez who caused the safety car just to really annoy Toto

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Plus he was reprimanded repeatedly for erratic driving from 2010-2012 when defending from Alonso in a few races.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'll start by saying that despite them both being superb drivers I'm not particularly a fan of either Lewis or Max, so I'm pretty indifferent to the actual end result. However some of the sh*te and conspiracy theories being spouted from the fanboys on both sides here is hugely entertaining. My 2c on a few of the incidents:

• The stewards got it wrong on the lap one incident and Max definitely should have been allowed retake the place. I still think Lewis would have passed him not too long afterwards anyway, the Mercedes was much quicker.
    • It was probably Mercedes' tyre strategy, and not for the first time, that ultimately cost Hamilton the race. They were so concerned about track position when Hamilton in a faster car could possibly have done something about being behind if he was on fresher tyres. This is something they seriously need to address.
    • To ensure consistency throughout the season, the FIA needs to appoint permanent professional stewards, the same 3 or 4 people, for every race. No more local auto club representative for each race, and no rotating FIA members, unless it's absolutely unavoidable. Of course they'll get some things wrong, they're only human, but hopefully there'd be fewer, and less significant errors.
    • Michael Masi's position needs to be considered by the FIA. We've heard more from, and about him in his 3 years in the job than we did during Charlie Whiting's 22 year tenure. Whiting would never have been as indecisive as Masi was on the issue of the lapped cars not overtaking and then some being allowed to do so. That decision in itself was shocking, by half-assing it the championship was handed to Max. I'm glad the race was completed under a racing lap and not behind the safety car, but you either decide not to let them pass and let Max deal with the traffic on his fresh soft tyres, or all cars pass, even if it meant having to run the last lap behind the safety car. Either way the rule should have been applied in its entirety, not just the bit that impacted the championship.
    • Finally, I hope (a forlorn hope I admit) that Mercedes drop their appeals. While I believe that mistakes were made that could potentially reverse the race order, I really don't want the season to be decided in the courtroom. Yes, it's sh*t, but Red Bull would probably have appealed something else if it had gone the other way. Just accept that sometimes things just don't go your way, move on and start preparing for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,759 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

And? Those would simply be the rules. Unfortunate as it is. There is no regulation saying all those rules apply unless the guy in second could win the championship.

The race was restarted a lap too early according to the rules too. Masi utterly fooked merc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Panrich

I think that's the worst thing they can do. If they want to delete the final lap, then go ahead and call the race at 57 laps but to take away a world championship for a dubious 5 second penalty would be the biggest joke of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I've no idea how they can overturn that victory. I certainly don't think the rules were applied properly, but what can they do?

Annul the result? Max still champion and a shltshow further down the ranks when it comes to constructers points, bonuses etc.

Annul the result from the time of Latifi's crash or during the SC? No precedent in the sport for that, doubt it's allowed in the rules.

Say Hamilton would have won if Max had to overtake 5 other cars? Where's the precedent in that? How can you say 'this is what would have happened if ...... ' in any sport. The most absurd decision.

Rerun the race or final laps? No precedent, doubt it's in the rules, RB wouldn't agree and it makes a mockery of the sport.

There's honestly no way out, Max is champion as it stands. Ok, they may hit him with a 5 second penalty for something minor, but then that opens another can of worms. How far back in the race do we go? How far back in the season?

I've said it in the main thread a few weeks ago that Masi isn't fit for the job. He lacks consistency, which is the worst thing you can accuse any steward/referee/umpire of. But he was the boss today and those were the decisions he's made.

I can understand how Lewis would feel aggrieved, but Mercedes messed up his tyre changes and he had one job to do which was to hold Max off at two possible overtaking points, he (very surprisingly to me) failed to do that. It's not his fault Masi messed up the rules, but it isn't Max's fault either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Still nobody can give any justification for Masi's decision, its all "Karma" and "Whatabout".

Everybody knows what he did was bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

And you bringing Karma into it wanting a supernatural power to decide things 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

And was Mercedes decision based on calculating there wasn't time to run the full safety car procedure so hold track position knowing there would be a bit of a gap to Verstappen on a restart. If so they shouldn't be punished. Also, why wasn't cars taken from between Verstappen and Sainz or anyone else who could have challenged for the win at that point in time, if a close race was the desired outcome.

Talk now about Mercedes not very happy with Verstappen weaving on the straight after overtaking Hamilton according to BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

We must also cast doubt on why the marshalls had it cleared so quick, rather than praise them for a quick response and clear up I think we should question it considering they were all dressed in orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Panrich

They're throwing **** at the wall and seeing if anything sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm guessing it was his application of "let them race". But nobody seems to know if he's actually allowed to do that

Red Bull now been called back to stewards over Verstappen conduct.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

But he fucked both teams. Hamilton wasn't penalised in the same way as verstappen last week for the very same incident. Hamilton wasn't penalised last week for forcing verstappen off track either after it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Hijpo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Mercedes will be blaming Max for causing Covid next, they are some bunch of hypocritical whingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,156 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Even C4 commentary saying Hamilton should have given the 1st place back on Lap 1, so RB could counter any complaints about that incident

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

The only thing I can think of that Verstappen even remotely did wrong was pulling alongside Hamilton during the safety car, but that would be crazy to penalise with any kind of penalty impacting the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭McFly85

Desperate stuff, really. I mean the most that would get is a warning. Whatever about the FIA rule interpretation, Max did zero wrong in this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Five Live reckon Horner giving a wink on way out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Bit of a farce tbh. They need to just settle on the result for the good of the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Lots of decisions this year were bullshit but because most of them favoured Hamilton anyone who challenged them was accused of conspiracy theories.

I think that we need to stop teams being able to communicate with stewards and the race director during the race going forward. It's just not on how they try and sway decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

That wouldn’t even get a warning surely, you’re allowed to move outside of the braking zone.

Advertisement