Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Someone is going to have to explain to me how Kelleher hasn’t been nominated for young player of the year this year or last. He’s gone from nowhere to first choice for Ireland and a nod from the Lions in 2 years. And not even a nomination!?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I want to know why young player of the year Gavin Coombes was snubbed by those wretched Lions selectors!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

I knew I gave AF some handy advice a couple of years ago ......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

It's almost like back row is a deeper position and harder to break into than hooker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Great news on Ringrose. When he's fit and in form he's the best 13 we have.

Thought he was one of our best players in the AIs. Looks like he's thriving in Ireland's attacking system.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

He had a great Autumn. I still think he could pass more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

He passed 7 times vs NZ and 9 times vs Argentina. Against Argentina Henshaw was the only one from 11-15 to pass more than him (11 passes) but that’s to be expected. Against NZ Keenan passed 8 times (probably due to the NZ kicking game) and Lowe, Aki and Ringrose all passed 7 times. So he wasn’t really passing any less than his inside centre partners were. He was also using the additional space he had to make a good deal more metres and beat a good few more defenders than either Aki or Henshaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

It's not how many times he passes, so much, more how many times he doesn't pass, that too often he opts to cut off a move when it looks like a move is on. Maybe he's just seeing some danger of an intercept, or maybe he's overly cautious. I think he's too hesitant at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

For me it's just a lack of inherent understanding when it comes to picking the pass and timing it perfectly to put others in as much space as possible. I can't understand it when I see people refer to him as a playmaker. When has he ever unlocked a set defence with a delayed pass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

If rugby professionals/rugby pundits/coach's etc all refer to him as a playmaker is that not telling you something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

That they don't know what they're talking about slash just parrot the narrative?

• Administrators Posts: 53,842 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Baloucoune touched the ball about 3 times the whole Argentina game because so many of our backline moves never made it past 13 even when the pass was on.

Ringrose is a tremendous player, he just really favours running diagonally and then cutting back against the grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Have a look at the Argentine defence it was much ore aggressive outside the 13 channel than NZ and Argentina. Often the pass wasn't on, teams will adapt to our new style in attack and we will have to adapt our attack to match them on the Hoof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Ringrose could definitely pass the ball more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Surely Carty will have to be in the six nations squad. A third match this season where he’s got a hat trick of assists

Four wins for the provinces is always a welcome thing.

I'd say the biggest winner on an individual basis is Jack Carty. Ross Byrne didn't impress behind a Leinster pack which dominted Baths and Joey Carbery just failed to execute basic things and was directly responsible for a Wasps try by trying to go on a solo run and getting turned over.

James Hume played very well, but I think he'll always struggle to get past either Ringrose or Henshaw who've both proven themselves at a higher level and who are usually in good form at provincial level.

Liked the look of Okeke at Munster too. Would fit the Farrell template of ultra athleticism to a tee. Obviously, we won't be seeing him anytime soon in green and probably not much in red for a few seasons yet. But he looks to have potential which can be developed upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Agree with Okeke! Looks a high quality prospect. Munster are developing a serious group of back rows. Hodnett and Kendellen being the obvious ones. Jack O'Sullivan looks like a good player too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think the Ulster game was the only one that was useful for judging players' ability at test level. Bath, SF and Wasps are all so shyte that it's really hard to put things in any perspective.

This is true. But at the same time it's only right to point out who played well, regardless of the quality of the opposition.

Leinsters front row were excellent yesterday for example. Furlong won MoTM, but it could easily have gone to Kelleher who was destructive in the loose. Scrummaging was a bit iffy, but it was so solid with Ireland that it can be chalked off as a blip.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Gav Coombes as well in amongst that lot, who was unlucky with the timing of his illness during the AI’s. It’s looking promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dr Fred

Carberry likely to miss 6 nations. Not back til after Easter is the rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

Thought Ross Byrne ran the game pretty well, nothing overly flashy but thats generally not him. Passed well and kicked the bulk of his points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭crossman47

For all that, they won't shift POM for a while yet. He was brilliant today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Agreed. He’s having a brilliant season all round tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highball14

Scott Buckley man of the match. Will surely start seeing game time in the big games for Munster now as the competition at hooker isn’t too strong.

If Carbery is out it’s a huge opportunity for Ben Healy as the starter and Jack Crowley on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Hume was exceptional...really really good last night.

The other thing about Hume, which separates him from McCloskey, is that he always delivers when playing the other Irish provinces. McCloskey has never really done that and that is why he can't really complain about being behind Ringrose, Henshaw, Aki and Farrell.

I think Hume will become a threat to Ringrose, but right now Ringrose is clearly ahead. Hume has it all to prove at test level, but outside that he is doing absolutely everything he can.

Hume needs to make sure that when he gets his chance he snaps it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭blackcard

Of the team that beat NZ, Ryan, Henderson, Conan, Sexton and Aki were unavailable for selection this weekend. Hard to replace this quality

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think if Ringrose was injured coming into the 6N. Hume could very much be a candidate to come straight in at 13 now. Rather than moving Henshaw to 13. We now have two quality 12’s and 2 quality 13’s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I'd be picking Hume ahead of Chris Farrell, he doesn't seem to be in as good form as previously. I think any two of Aki/Henshaw/Ringrose are first choice and I'm happy to see any combination really (I'd prefer Aki and Henshaw myself but it's a much of muchness). After that Hume is the next cab off the rank.

Advertisement