Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭hometruths

Holiday homes are often in places which are not ideal as a PPR in modern times.

For sure, and what is equally true is that holiday homes are often in places that are ideal as a PPR in modern times.

It is one of the reasons why you hear complaints that locals are priced out of a market because rich folk are buying up the houses to use as holiday homes.

And as sure as night follows day a proportion of those 40k properties that are currently categorised as holiday homes, will at some point in the future become PPRs.

And just as sure, some houses that are currently PPRs will at some point in the future become holiday homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Have you any evidence that this Irish local needs cráp that has been in place for a good while now, has made housing better available and more affordable for locals?

I no longer believe this one, as the same old complaints are still being made, long after measures were taken to keep f'rners out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

These "middle class" voters that SF are attracting, are going to be poverty cases come the next election, with inflation etc. Unless you have the bank of mum and dad to bail you out! I can actually see them having enough to have a majority. FFG cant bring themselves to self harm and do anything about the rip off prices they crave...

The housing situation is going to get a lot worse, its going to totally boil over and explode over the next few years, that is for sure... They are going to have to start doing things non of the parties currently want to do, provide cheaper to construct homes and higher density. The planning system is a farce. This does benefit SF currently, they are running with the hares and chasing with the hounds. If they get a majority, what will their excuse be, to not make inroads into the crisis, and fairly quickly too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

To be fair he is saying to take profits which I agree with. Just look at what the rich guys are doing; all selling down billions in equities the last 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

You'd probably be surprised. The amount of money in the country is staggering.

My parents have no money but my uncles and aunts all have lots of money and they gave it to their kids towards a house.

If you're 50 and you have your mortgage paid off or almost, you're earning 2021 wages. Imagine a union electrician on 50k married to a nurse with 25 years experience on 50k.

That's over 70k net into the household in a year with basically 0 mortgage. Even if you spent 250 a week on expenses, that's 12k a year. About 60k left over per year for a fancy car or giving to kids.

The polls largely show homeowners are still voting for FF/FG. Even look at the by election in DBS. Ivana Bacik, who's basically FG got in from a lot of FG voters. If all the elders were worried about their kids affording housing, they'd have voted for SF, which they didn't.

Have a look at the age breakdown in the 2020 election.

35-49: FF/FG take 43% of the vote.

50-64: FF/FG take 45%

Even the 25-34 age group, FF/FG have a bigger vote than SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

People from 40 years of age on know there is no such thing as a free lunch. The only way SF can fullfil all there promises is to raise taxes. It the middle of the road couple that will end up paying that.

The real wealthy will go into tax exile. Older people with very good pensions will move to Portugal. If you over tax business it will shut down and shrink.

The idea of a super tax seem good on paper but many businesses will avoid it by limiting drawdowns.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

The person we purchased our home from used the proceeds of the sale to move to a facility that allowed for independent living while having care on call when needed. An excellent service at a reasonable cost at the time

Since that person moved in, the facility has been sold, services have been cut heavily and fees have ballooned.

This is a person that had a good job/career helped develop many more high paying tax units through his children also been successful

Don't be under any illusion that FF/FG boom bust policies are of any benefit to our citizens. Given our healthcare/housing and pensions time bomb. It's the older population that should be most concerned of the direction this country is taking. They may not know it but taxpayers are funding a system that will destroy them and enrich vested interests that dodge tax at every opportunity

Be prepared for complete stripping of your assets to fund a not fit for purpose health system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭I see sheep

So FF/FG in power for another 100 years. How bleak.

A bit of vote buying to add fuel for the fire and sauce for the investment funds

This time its different indeed

The developer view from glenveagh, some interesting points.

Note the close alignment between what glenveagh view as positive and Fianna Fail policy. The Galway tent has gone underground

This time it's different, indeed

• Advertisement

Following on from newstalks debate that Ireland has become antibusiness

It appears that their sister station has picked up the lantern with their busines reporter Ian Guider singing the praises of investment funds and co living units in both the report linked below but also a debate later in the week plus an article on the Sunday Business post

It's an interesting development as the media were dead against these investment funds initially, even christening the term cuckoo funds. I'm assuming that they'd be unable to fill their lucrative property pages when investment funds become the dominant buyer. Winder what's feeding this sudden change of view

Mmmh Media capture. This time it's different indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

a slump in plannings being sought - is it builders turning off the taps to keep housing scarce n pricey or is it uneconomic to build at the mo ?https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/economy/arid-40763604.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

So there will be a choice between destroying savings or crippling interest rates. The young v the old.

I wonder how long it'll take for China contagion to hit Ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

Commencements increased this year, so to answer your question, I would say neither one or other.

I'm a bit split on that. House prices are dictated on what's the absolute maximum one can extract out of a tennant/purchaser rather than the actual cost of provision. Its like a mafia business

If purchasers and especially tennants have to pay more for other essentials, less is available for rent

One may argue that if inflation is at 5% wages will rise by 5% however a 5% rise in wages only amounts to 2.5% when the tax man is finished with it

Also wage inflation may be lower in the low to middle income range and this is where the majority of renters are pulled from

Escalating rents and low interest rates are the key drivers of our house prices

High General inflation could impact heavily on those key drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

If you have high inflation people will use property as a hedge against inflation instead of leaving money in the bank which is an increase in demand.

Wage inflation is another story and if we do see it it will push up house prices because people will be able to borrow more.

rent should be protected by inflation because of the new rules 2% or inflation if lower.

The cost of building will rise which will mean a reduction in supply as certain projects become less profitable.

All of these factors = higher prices for property

Do you think inflation is likely to run at 5% for a few years? Surely that would not be transitory?

No I don't expect it to run at 5% for a few years.

Maybe your right

Maybe this lady has stumbled across the future. A lotto show where the star prize will be the opportunity to win an affordable home.

Wealth preservation must be achieved by bleeding the next generation dry. It will be interesting to see how that particular model works out sustainability wise.

Slavery was sustainable for a long time, I suppose

Don't know what you are trying to say all that I am pointing out is that high inflation for a sustained period will result in higher property prices. It has noting to do with different generations, wealth preservation, politics.... it's simple economics

• Advertisement

Nothing personal, just simple economics also

When they were unaffordable 4/5 years ago and the solution appears to make them more expensive, then, we need to think outside the box to get affordable homes for the fortunate few.

Either that or we are in for a major crash to achieve equilibrium pursuing current policy (globally}

Apple hit a valuation of 3 trillion this week. It took its entire life - 2years to reach 1 trillion and during a pandemic it trebles in value

I'm not skilled enough to explain that anomaly but it is the season for the magic of Santa

Let me get this right.... you are saying that high inflation for a few years would not be a bad thing..... I highlight that high inflation for a sustain period would increase house prices and you start talking about Wealth preservation and Slavery...... I then try and explain that it is simple economics that houses prices will rise if we experience high inflation for a few years and you start talking about apple share price. What is the point you are trying to make?

Is it that the as a country we have problems with affordable housing.... Everyone knows that but its not as simple as get SF in and they will be able to fix it over night.

And just for clarification I don't expect that we will see high inflation for a few years because either the drivers of inflation fall away or if it does persist then the central banks will tap the brakes on the economy.

Re inflation I think the drivers of inflation will increase and central banks will have no choice but to increase interest rates. If this coincides with a new SF government, or the mass realisation of the inevitability of an SF govt, things may get very ugly indeed.

The main driver of inflation in the EU is oil and Gas at the moment and Oil has dropped 30% in the past few weeks. We have not seen wide spread inflation like the US is currently experiencing..... Who know's we may see this in time as the public's expectation of inflation drives prices and wages higher. I agree that if inflation is around for longer and becomes wide spread and not just in energy the central banks will have no option but to taper QE and then eventually raise rates. We are in a low interest rate environment and this will continue even if the EU increased the base rates because the ECB rate will still be negative as two or three 10bps rise over a year would be enough to slow down the economy and kill inflation.

I do agree price rises, (and falls), in the various commodities, goods, services etc that make up CPI baskets can be transitory; by drivers I meant bigger picture factors like supply chains and velocity of money.

We have been in a deflationary trending environment for over 20 years thanks not only to technology but also globalisation, JIT inventory etc.

I think the deflationary impact of technology is likely to level off, but the lasting effects of the pandemic will be a change in business practices that will represent a complete reversal of trend. This combined with increasing velocity is likely to be inflationary IMO. It won't take much for it to become self fulfilling.

The velocity of money is falling not increasing because QE increases the money supply and as a result it takes longer for money to circulate in the economy. For this reason it has become less of an important indicator in recent years.

I agree that supply chain issues will contribute to inflation. For me the real risk is China because inflation there will feed into world wide inflation.

I think the falling velocity trend will reverse too. If it is rising it will very quickly become an important indicator again.

The above graph shows the USA velocity of money and because of the liquidity trap it is unlikely to increase significantly because a lot of the money supply is locked into the banking system and financial markets so is not in circulation in the wider economy.

Yes, I am aware of the trend to date, as that chart shows. That's why I said the trend will reverse.

• Advertisement

I'm just surprised that on one hand you are saying things could get messy very quickly and on the other hand you are saying that economy will be so strong that we will see the trend of a declining velocity of money will reverse.

Advertisement