Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 Round 22 Abu Dhabi GP

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I like this.

I've some class memories from Honda in F1. I only knew them from the odd little Honda 600 that my neighbour had. Suddenly they were in Formula 1, the high point the McLaren MP 4/4 with that Marlboro livery. I won't forget them either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Some effort from sainz to finish ahead of Norris in the drivers championship as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Don't let all the craziness distract you from the fact that Yuki got 4th place - great to see!

• Advertisement

It s at least a bit about him being English and the general Irish revulsion to the as sucking the English media partake in with sports people. Well it is that for me at least

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Best scene today for me was actually Anthony Hamilton congratulating Jos and Max. Really got the impression he recognized how special that moment was for a father to see his son become world champion. A small club. I'm sure he spoke to them to that effect. Both Hamiltons showed class today.

Given the sh*tshow that the closing stages of this championship have been, I'm very glad it ended respectfully. Sure there must be some anger still lingering and there probably will be additional appeals etc, but it could have gotten truly ugly. And it didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah you'd have to say after Max he's been the standout driver of the season. Really great performance from him today. If Ferrari get their act together he'll be a force to be reckoned with in the coming years.

You really are something else.

There have been two standout drivers this season and Sainz is nowhere near the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

What an incredible and well deserved win for Max. Hamilton and mercedes had the better car, they've amassed huge experience winning multiple championships so its a massive upset against the odds for verstappen and red bull.

I couldnt believe the anti max and anti red bull media commentary all week. Portraying max as some sort of crazed driver who would "do anything to win". The media even speculated that hamilton would still be awarded the championship if there happened to be a collision between him and max.

Still cant get over the english media bias and vitriol towards max and red bull. They chose instead to support a german team over a team led by one of their own - christian horner. Who is a total class act as evidenced by his interview with sky after the race. Did everyone notice how damon hill stepped out of that segment? He couldnt even bring himself to congratulate horner live on air. What a bitter person hill is.

Well done max.

• Advertisement

It was a great season. Nothing like a bit of ambition/competition to add a bit of spice to the game. Some strange rulings today, but Max deserves the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Merc had the best car over the season but Verstappen was the best driver, Verstappen had that RB on its absolute limits this season

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I really enjoyed that race. Max has had more than his share of bad luck this season and I felt that the decisions in general unfairly favored Lewis. For once the gods smiled in Max. Fair play to Lewis, he was respectful and gracious in defeat. I admire him for that. Mercedes are not doing themselves any favors with their behavior. At the end of the day it was the right result. Max is a very deserving world champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭jacool

When all the Sky hype settles down, I think this has done more damage than good for selling the sport to non-aficionados. I know quite a few obsessed F1-ers and they can't understand the two bad calls today, both against the actual rules of the sport. They won't stop watching and/or attending, but people like me won't bother as the rulebook is just so randomly applied.

Sainz was P3 with two back markers between him and Verstappen. They weren't removed so he was 3s behind Verstappen when they went racing for the final lap. Basically he had zero chance of improving his position. From a sporting/fairness perspective it's very hard to understand putting Max 0.3s behind Lewis but not giving Carlos a similar opportunity.

Would Carlos have risked a dive up into P2 (or even P1?). Who knows. But it's supposed to be his decision to make, not Michael Masi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Delighted Max won. Standing alone with 8 drivers championships, is something Hamilton didn't/doesn't desere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Wow. He's unhinged. Imagine being a mercedes mechanic or team member, busting a gut all year and winning the constructors championship and seeing your boss toto behave like that. Wouldnt surprise me if mercedes get rid of him now. Mercedes success during a period when they had no realistic competition has really gone to his head. Says a lot about him that mercedes keep him in the garage during races while horner is way more composed and able to run things from the pit wall.

Congratulations red bull. Didnt have the best car and up against a way more experienced team but they had the best racing driver in Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭nf2k

Do any of you follow/read/listen to "the race"? They have an article which feels like they are misinterpreting Lando Norris who said the restart was "for TV".

When you read the full quote it sounds like he's trying to say it's something that suits TV well, as opposed to something that was engineered for the sake of TV. The latter is what the article suggests. Maybe it was engineered for TV (I don't think it was), but even if it was, Lando doesn't strike me as the type to make a comment like that.

A little disappointed as used to like their content.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Hijpo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I don't trust the Hamiltons at all. It's all PR. They're pro's at it now. They know what makes them money.

Hamilton making sure to mention the pandemic in the post race interview and wearing a mask on the podium.

I saw Lando speak afterwards and he was clear that he wasn't impressed with what unfolded.

Think people need to accept that some drivers are going to have a different opinion to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

BBC poll. Seems the British are very much behind Mercedes

I'm only a casual and even disregarding what happened today, but someone crashing way back the field shouldn't be enough to bunch the field up together. Could there not be technology that simultaneously puts a 60mph limit (or whatever speed safety car goes at) on all cars in the field?

How is it fair that you build up a 20 second lead in a race, some laggard crashes at the back of the field and all your hard work is gone.

What won the race for Verstappen and thus the WC? Latifi.

Hamilton, all season, when he has won has thanked the team before anything else.

When all was said and done, despite everything else, he congratulated Max.

What more does he have to do? He can be pissed off but he was more than gracious in defeat.

Honestly the sh*t that's posted on this forum.

I'm a casual and the worst thing imo is not the finish or the "rules not being adhered to", it's the fact someone can have a great race and build up a lead but because some back runner crashes and it bunches up the field. Basically renders all the previous laps meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Toto looks fairly unhinged here. I think Merc as a team seem to have some feelings of being entitled to win. It was mentioned on sky earlier that the QC "just happened" to be at the race conveniently, he was the same guy who got Merc a sweet deal after a secret Pirelli tyre test in 2013 was uncovered. I would say he was there in case there was race ending contact between Max and Lewis and Merc would throw everything at the stewards

I will go back to the Baku race when Max had his tyre blowout. Weakley went on the radio to Masi and suggested a red flag to allow everyone change tyres. Mark Webber immediately on comms said that was a very "fair call".

No other team ranted about Merc/LH getting lucky at Imola and finishing 2nd as a result of that luck. Toto made a complete fool of himself today and came across like a spoilt brat.

Russell will put it upto Hamilton next year. Which will be spicy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Exactly. Reminds me of Ireland's proposal for 33 teams at the 2010 WC due to Henry's handball

• Advertisement

Outdoors with no one within metres? Nope.

And I saw him going around indoors without a mask hugging people and other drivers so....what's the point of wearing it on the podium, outside with no one near him?

Advertisement