Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭Xander10

You wouldn't need to scroll back too far to find some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

That sounds like very good numbers for a weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

They are good in a way, down 10 week on week. But it's a slowdown in the rate. A week previously it was a 58 reduction, week before that was 106.

It will level off and more than likely it will increase as we enter the Christmas period.

• Advertisement

I'd say more realistic than negative. Unless you think Ireland is in a unique position where most of Europe is increasing in cases/hospitalization coming into winter and we will defy those odds and instead of maybe having the same number in hospital next week, we'll see another drop?

It's possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

7 day admissions are at 44, same as 3 weeks ago. It's holding steady. Cases flat also (there was a significant drop in case numbers one day due to the storm) but appears stable, same for positivity rate.

So with everything appearing stable, do you see next week staying stable, dropping or increasing?

Being realistic is not the same as being negative.

You are moving the goalposts, if we numbers were dropping at 100 a week as you say 2 weeks ago we would be in the negative fairly quickly, stop twisting the numbers to a negative narrative, you will have your chance, what goes down will come up, obviously usually visa versa but given your outlook.....

I'm not moving goalposts. There's 3 factors affecting hospital numbers (4 if you include deaths):

Admissions/Hospital cases and discharges.

Admissions and Hospital cases have been steady for 3 weeks, Discharges seemed to have slowed down.

Just because we had a difference of 100 in hospital in a week, doesn't mean we'll have the same week after week.

It dropped 106 in a week, then 58 then 10.... you hardly think it's going to drop 100 next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

All about looking like they are in control but ultimately completely meaningless especially as the end of the year is under 18 days away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭prunudo

Also a great deflection and takes the heat off Johnston for the Christmas quiz last year. Although given they were working in the same building anyway I don't really get why the media are on a witch hunt against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Heard another case over the weekend (friend of a friend) of someone who got tested as a close contact; positive result while all other close contacts tested negative and his family too. He went for another test the next day, negative.

This happens often enough that it suggests a proportion of our daily cases are people who've been infected in the last 9 months but were unaware of it.

On top of that, when you couple in the fact that a quarter of daily cases are under 12 (who have a very low hospitalisation rate), all goes towards explaining the general unpredictability of the hospital numbers, but also the reason why we can have a high case load and dropping hospital numbers.

The good new is that the booster programme is paying off serious dividends. Under-44s make up 64% of all of the cases but only 38% of those in hospital.

So the only way is down on this one. The case numbers in the booster cohorts are continuously dropping, which means hospital numbers can only drop.

There will be a lot of value in boosters for the 35+ age group due to their high case load, but the 45+ group will have the largest impact. At this point boosters need to be the only game in town. New restrictions are completely pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

There is nothing stranger than folk who are almost willing/praying that Omricon is some form of game changer thats going to plunge us all into severe lockdown and spiralling deaths and hospitalizations just so they can go on to an internet forum and say "see i told ye so"

Its actually weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

I know what you mean to a point, but its also about demonstrating leadership and encouraging buy-in from the public.

A lot of people really suffered through this, and No. 10 have a Christmas Quiz and piss up is pretty bad. Do as a I say, not as I do.

By the same token, healthcare professionals and frontline workers up and down the country could have had Christmas parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

Yeah but if anyone seriously believes there are people wishing for this to get worse, then its just as true for those who made random guesses about anything and everything a year ago, and now claim they knew all along and were proved right when one or two things happen. Everyone's an expert these days on t'Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Work colleague tested positive twice on antigen tests last week, went for a pcr and that came back negative.. he said he had a bad cold, and Is double jabbed.

im all for antigen tests but that’s a strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I had 2 positive antigen tests one day (evening). Next day ( morning)i had 2 negative antigen tests and the following day a negative pcr. No symptoms. So i’m always wondering did i have it or not or was i just exposed to it that day but never developed into Covid 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

And when the boosters inevitably wane? What's your suggestion? More boosters?

The "waning" is not total. It's partial. People are still protected, just not bulletproof. Once Spring rolls around and we have significant coverage in the 5-11 cohort, then we can move on. Older cohorts might be offered flu-like boosters in future seasons, but the population will be sufficiently covered otherwise. Come next Autumn we'll also have effective antivirals and 2nd gen vaccines.

If Omicron is as mild as the data is appearing to support, then we're done here. Seasonal boosters may not even be necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Omicron spreading at a rate never seen before in the UK according to the health minister. Doubling every 2 days is frightening imo.

• Advertisement

517 in hospital this morning

Not really. This is generally how variants take over. Cases are not doubling every two days. The number of infections that Omicron accounts for is, but the increase in case numbers is quite linear.

In South Africa the case numbers have gone insane because of their low vaccine rates.

Crucially, in the UK and in South Africa, hospital numbers are remaining flat and deaths are flat or dropping. In South Africa, cases have been climbing off the charts since 22nd November. That's a full 23 days. There was a small jump in deaths about a week later, but they've been declining since.

Still too early to call for certain, but Omicron is definitely shaping up to be highly infectious and not very dangerous at all. It would be quite an amazing Xmas present to us all.

Edit: https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois/status/1470272474474496002?s=20

Another 10 days of data will tell us for certain, but the graph definitely gives a good reason for cautious optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

UK seems ill-prepared to my untrained eye, AZ not working and late with boosters

Looking good for next year I reckon based on anecdotal evidence.

Will wait to see how UK progresses this .At least they're capable of making proactive decisions unlike the 1 dimensional robots running the show here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Once Spring rolls around and we have significant coverage in the 5-11 cohort, then we can move on.

Do you be laughing to yourself when you type this stuff?

What in the name of jeasus difference will vaccination of 5-11 year olds make?

Think about the cohort who suffers severe disease

Post edited by FintanMcluskey on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭prunudo

I think our lot have got away with worse tbh. Having a Christmas quiz, via zoom, with colleagues who've been working with in the same building isn't really the sword to die on.

But I do get what you're saying, there is an element of do as I say not as I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Delta literally poses no risk to kids and Omicron on the current information is milder than Delta, so why exactly would you vaccinate kids.

People who need vaccines and boosters for protection will have them, if the vaccines work then we don't need to vaccinate kids who don't need them to protect people who the vaccine is supposed to be protecting.

We should be sending these vaccines to poorer counties who need the supply of vaccines far more than kids in Ireland.

The vaccine in children will reduce the incidence of the infection across the population, and reduce its ability to spread in future seasons. This provides additional protection for those who can't avail of vaccine protection.

While I agree on principle that other countries should be getting their adult vaccines before our kids do, the vaccines shipped for children are unsuitable for adult use.

So refusing to get a child vaccinated on that point of principle, benefits nobody. That refused vaccine will not go into the arm of a 90-year-old in Botswana.

What is the current guidelines around antigen tests.

My sister had a cough last week and took an antigen test on Friday which was positive.

Partner and kid were negative.

They all took two tests Saturday, Sunday and this morning and all of them were negative.

Sister works in retail and the boss is mentioning how they need her back and asked her to go back tomorrow if she has another negative test.

Her partner is working later today and he has had no symptoms and has had all negative tests.

Is he allowed back to work?

I am lucky personally to be working from home and not to have this dilemma but it must be hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

How do people still not get why kids need to be vaccinated?

Vaccination doesn't stop you from catching it but it heavily reduces the chances of you spreading it. Kids are bringing it home from school to their parents and grandparents. Look at the HPSC age data, cases are almost exclusively in kids and parents age groups.

What's so hard to understand?

• Advertisement

So giving the vaccine to children is not to protect them but to protect others.

It is the job of adults to protect kids, not for kids to protect adults.

What happens if after 3 months the kids need a booster and so on till god knows when.

If the vaccines work we don't need to waste them on kids who don't need them.

Advertisement