Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

uncles house alleged willed to niece

• 10-12-2021 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

my sister in law (June) was the carer of uncle tom. when Tom died ,she was invited to the solicitor's office and on her return stated to her sisters she got a large lump sum of money and the house and they each (sisters) got a sum of money. This seemed fine with all the sisters as June had given uncle tom a lot of help in his last few years .My wife did get a cheque from the solicitor's office. All was well until my wife noticed one day a property tax letter address to their dad (Robert) for uncle tom's address but paid no heed to it. a couple of weeks later she was speaking to her mother (Mags) and in conversation mags mentioned that juine had gotten Robert to sign some papers . Robert is 87 and in poor health and Mags is bedridden. im worried now that the house was willed to robert and signed over to june - how can i or am i entitled to find this out ?? tia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Your sister in law could do worse than to go back to the solicitor in question and ask them. Between them and the appointed executor then Tom's assets should be distributed to the named beneficiaries as per his wished once Tom's assets are all accounted for and any debts settled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If I understand this correctly, there are two brothers, Tom and Robert.

Robert is married to Mags and has 3 daughters, one of which is June, and another of which is married to you.

Tom (childless?) was looked after by June and when he died, all three sisters got some money, but June says she inherited the house too. Initially this was not an issue and seemed reasonable.

But according to your wife, through conversations she had and documents she received, she suspects (or you suspect) that actually, it was Robert who inherited the house, but June is trying to take advantage of his poor health and deceive him by getting him him to sign documents so the house legally ends up with her?

Did Tom make it known who the executor was? Were Robert and Mags called to the solicitor's office/visited by the solicitor?

With your wife receiving a cheque, it suggests to me that probate has already been granted, and it would seem hard to achieve that without the rightful inheritor of the property ever hearing about it, but maybe it's possible.

I suppose your wife could call the proprty tax dept and ask why they are receiving such a bill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

On balance, it is not particularly likely, given the facts you have provided that there is anything untoward going on - but it is in everyone’s interest that any doubts or concerns be put to bed.

Perhaps the easiest step, initially at least, is that your wife make contact with the firm of solicitors who provided her with the cheque. Presumably they act for the executor and will be entirely familiar the matter.

Note the will itself is now likely to be publicly viewable at the probate office, and the executor will be listed online at http://probate.courts.ie/probate.nsf if you enter the details of the deceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ding bat dolly

Thanks so much Yes I do see it listed but I can't access the will ,is there a way of doing this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,716 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Contact the Probate Office; they can supply you with a copy of the grant (which will have a copy of the will attached). There'll be a modest fee but, even if only to put your mind at rest, I think it will be money well spent.

Details on how to contact the

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Ding bat dolly

Lenar, so i followed the link and it seems my wifes dad is named as the Grantee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

If you contact the probate office, you should be able to get a copy of the will - it should be publicly available once probate was granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Meaning that your wife’s dad is the executor hence why the LPT would be in his names even if the named beneficiary was his daughter. Doesn’t mean she hasn’t pulled a swifty but no eveidence of one. If your wife was a beneficiary then she would generally be entitled to see the will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Pistachio19

Definitely get a copy of the will if you or your wife are suspicious. However, the fact your father in law got the LPT letter may just mean that the house hasn't been legally signed over to June as yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Wouldn't be more beneficial to June tax wise to inherit the house from her father (Robert) rather than inherit it from her uncle (Tom)....and that arrangement may have been agreed beforehand by the 3 of them while the uncle (Tom) was still living

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If it was routed through Robert, Robert would have a large bill as a result of receiving it from his brother. June would also use up some or all of her own allowance from her parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Property tax letters in this case would be addressed to the representatives of Tom at his address more so than Robert at toms address or his own address I would have thought if Robert didn't now own Tom property

Post edited by cap.in.hand. on

Advertisement