Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Just for about 2 years they keep saying "we will announce the anchor tenant within weeks"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Fair enough but the project has had several delays so that would delay tenants.

However, if this is now near completion and fit out is to begin in New Year for spring opening you would expect a tenant to be confirmed soon as logistics for large stores take months of planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Its Bray.. Dealz will be the anchor tenant.

Easy to say that but I can't see it happening.

In order for this centre to be a success and for other units to do well , such as the restaurants and cinema from Press Up Group, it will need footfall. So a good anchor tenant to attract the right client and other shops will be required and the likes of Dealz just won't do.

Curious to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Definitely, the intersection of the people who'll go to a Stella-like cinema/fancy bowling/wowburger etc. and a Dealz would be very very minute. You'd need something like a fancy Dunnes, a Penney's, a Next, an Argos etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I will go to the cinema regardless of who the anchor tenant is. Maybe that is just me. I really hope it all works out.

Yes but are you aware it's a Stella Cinema which is a high end cinema with quirky films and higher end prices .

As it's 5 screens, I really wonder how they're going to approach this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they won't have 5 screens of quirky arthouse films and waiter service - this is Bray not Soho. It's more likely they'll be regular screens showing superhero movies most of the time with the hipster stuff reserved for one screen at the weekends.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Well I am aware now 😀

To be honest most of the blockbuster movies over the last few years don't really do it for me. I have had enough of the Superhero / Marvel / all CHI and no substance films. This sounds even mroe applealing to me now.

I wouldn't say Stella is arthouse or hipster(hate that label). More that they show older/classic films as they're most likely cheaper to get. For example West Side Story is showing soon. They do show big releases sometimes,

At present they're showing Christmas films.

With 5 screens that won't work so I wonder what they will do and also what sizes the screens and cinemas will be. I just have a feeling I'll stil be going to Dundrum and other places.

• Advertisement

Yes, you probably looked already by there's their website.

It's €19 a ticket for an evening show regardless of the film, you can also get drinks and food.

Thats what I thought too. That the 5 screens wouldnt be all upmarket. Unconfirmed rumours are suggesting it will be only 5 upmarket screens.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they'd be nuts to do that - there's huge demand in Bray and north Wicklow for a cinema, but teenagers, families etc won't pay €20 a ticket to sit in leather seats and have their popcorn delivered by a waiter. They'll just continue going to Dundrum or Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I kill for a cinema without kids and families.

Openings and closings.

• Anita B Clothing has opened up beside Tesco on Quinsborough.
    • Neighbourhood Wine opened up on the main street.
    • New cafe opened in where Malgudi has closed.
    • Nua Thai and some other food outlets going in where Galito used to be. Sign outside says it's called "The Grid". It's all a bit confusing to be honest.
    • Creole tapas bar has closed ☹️
    • Spar going in under the new apartments on the Strand Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Creole Tapas bar closed for good? That's a shame if it is. Great food there and Brenda was lovely too.

Yes unfortunately. The restaurant was quirky and tapas excellent. Big loss to Bray imo as the town had a lack of decent restaurants to begin with.

Are people sure about Creole? Their Facebook page shows they were closed on 2 & 3 December due to unforeseen circumstances.

Will be a pity if it's gone as the food was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭browne_rob5

Yeah its only up on Insta.

Pity alright as the food was very good and Brenda is lovely. The restaurant was an awkward space. We went to the outdoor spot a few times over the summer but haven't gone indoors as we would have a buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AngeloArgue

I had the misfortune of witnessing of what can only be described as a gang of little thugs assailing on this shop last night. Around 20 of them, 14-17 year olds smashing stuff and riding their bikes in the entrance!

I felt so sorry for the poor set upon security guard. It was a menacing experience.

I won't be going there again. An absolute shame on the local area and a shame on their parents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

My partner hasn't been back there since the incident she witnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I guess it's just luck, but I've been to that Lidl every week since near when it opened., usually around 5-6 on a weekday, and I've never seen hassle.

I've seen the kids hanging around (never more than 5) but haven't seen the give trouble to the security guards or cause any trouble.

Would be a real shame if a bunch of kids cause people to stop going there. It's a nice shop and is handier for me than Greystones or Little Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

They are getting worse by the sounds of it. It is sadly an ongoing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fuccit

gonna throw a curveball and say that the anchor tenant will be sports direct or jd sport. 🙅

𓀐𓂸

Maybe - I think the developers really want Penneys or Dunnes

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

I see the local councillors got a tour of the new shopping centre. The tweet says that "Bray Central site nearing practical completion to shell and core by month end. Following PC fit out will commence. Negotiations on anchor tenants are at an advanced stage."

I don't understand how these things work, but with the recent flurry of activity I thought these tenants may be nailed down (just not yet announced), but turns out they are still in negotiations. A bit unusual at this late stage, no? Surely much of the fit out is done to the specification of the anchor tenant?

Tweet: https://twitter.com/BrayTCouncil/status/1481995567551160327

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

New Spar going into the ground floor of the new seafront apartments..

I hope the residents were made aware of that before they bought, that will be a nightmare in summer, crowds coming & going through the front area of the building, i see they have an off-licence, that will bring it's own problems too.

The entire block is being rented to the council for social housing for 25 years so noone bought there.

Terry Pratchet

Surely not the seafront apartments near Jim Doyle's? Do you mean the dart station apartment block?

• Advertisement

Oh sorry my mistake. I thought you were saying a spar at the DART station

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement