Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

Where did you hear that about big papa? He was out doing the warm-up with squad today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

A family member of a matchday squad player today

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

Any word on which french club?

overall very impressed with the development,

it feels like We are missing a lot at the moment and really doing well to be competitive,

I remeber the first year we were in the H Cup, We were out of our depth, what a difference, Big french club, from Paris, Youth all over the place and Were getting cranky with our selves when Stuff dosent come off, with so many 1st team names not even on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

If that true about abe I’d be trying to get deegan out west asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Anyway the pack needs beef it was obvious today

Tuimauga'a and Fifita'a at least on the bench for Leicester

Boyle may be ok?

One of Aki/Robb/Daly, Arnold is rolled-back often

Bealham will be in it too

Farrell finaly let's hope

Hansen is a plus, but we have great talents in this back-3, McNulty baffled me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Great win and a great last 15 in the Sportsground.

That's disappointing if true about Big Papa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Hard to gauge the Papali'i news if that washes out. Professional game and is obviously entitled to make the best decisions on a short career but if we had been interested in retaining (and who knows behind the scenes what the relative contracts are) who have liked to have thought we earned some loyalty sticking with him despite calls to get rid and working with him heavily on his fitness and tackling. Hopefully he stays but if he doesn't we are back to the original problem of having excellent backrows but missing the option of a heavy contact ball carrier

Game wise, delighted by the performance of our props, some struggles against a heavy pack but they all were solid today, particularly Duggan who took the opportunity presented by Burkes head knock (and lets hope that is as minor as it can be) to really put his hand up.

Particularly though I thought Dowling has a great game. I saw in the 42 afterwards he was the lineout leader and that was a Thornbury-esque level of perfection in leading the lineout today. Helped by Delahunt having a great day with his darts but we consistently threw into the right areas today and disrupted their lineout well, Murray is a real menace front of lineout in particular.

Arnold has been playing great rugby this season, he will be missed

• Advertisement

Based on the Craggy podcast unlikely on Boyle. Tuimauga'a it depends on learning the plays, unsure how long he has been in training?

Bundee sounds close back but your harsh on Arnold, he might be knocked back but its often a double tackle in heavy traffic and does it willingly to suck in others.

Bealham will depend on the illness but lets hope its minor, he is a class above all our props at the moment with Denis working his way back

It's more a case of his disciplinary record being a massive liability and they don't feel they've made enough improvements on his technique to be able to take a calculated risk. But that isn't to say we wouldn't have been outbid anyways for a contract. No bad blood from either party apparently, just hasn't worked out unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

It was interesting listening to him speak on the master of none podcast and he mentioned that Connacht were putting more emphasis on a speed based games rather than trying to have a game plan relying on big men making holes in the opposition defense and he seemed to suggest that is why he wasn't featuring as much this season. It's a great interview if you get the chance to listen to it. He comes across as a really good guy and seems to be enjoying his time in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Also he hates cold weather, that was very clear, and I'd imagine his wife wanted a move to south of Francce ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

What a win yesterday. Heineken Cup feels a little watered down this year but it wasn't feeling that way yesterday, I was reminded of when I was a kid not believing that Munster could beat Stade in the early 2000s and never even thinking about us playing at that level.

Thanks for the effort but I wouldn't be at all put out by losing Papa. It was really a no lose situation for us and it hasn't worked out so of he can make a few pound elsewhere then good luck to him but I don't think we're going to be missing out in anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

No issue with papilli going, a bit part player for us without the level of fitness required to play more than 40 effectively

Started it and got distracted so must go back. Sounds interesting,

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Funny you mention that. At the game yesterday he seemed to be adding layers of clothes each time I looked at him!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Not too bothered about Papali'i going. He was a punt on a big unit with very little union experience that ultimately didn't work out, despite the odd spectacular carry. His fitness and tackle technique were liabilities, and our game plan of moving the ball and moving big teams around is aimed at tiring out opposition players like him, not having them on our side getting wrecked. He wasn't on big money so it wasn't an expensive mistake, but best to let him go, and best of luck to him picking up a contract in France.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,634 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i wouldn't call papalii a mistake at all, it call him a moneyball shot which just didnt work out, i cant see him having cost connacht much at all.

he came as a novice to union, and has been bought out of contract only 6 months into his contract extension... at the end of the day id imagine his 3 tries just above covered the value of his contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,022 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I was very surprised when they extended his contract. It would have been a nice story if it had worked out but ultimately it didn't, on any level.

Post edited by Former Former Former on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Any source that he's being bought out of his contract?

All I found was a mention of considering following Arnold to Brive next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

I doubt he's being bought out. Id say its more of a case that he's signing for them for next season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

Bundee likely to be fit, Hansen will likely miss the game

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

The old format seemed better to me... Maybe we have to bed into this one with a little more time..

Paps going was a risk not fully playing off... It was worth it and someone else could get a very good player. We just can't risk the red cards... Would like to see Soroka coming west for his good. Of course we would love and need Deegan, it might be very good for Deegan too...

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Yea it will take a long time to get used to this format if it stays. Playing teams that don't have to play each other and probably going up against totally different teams for the top 8 takes away a lot of the edge I think.

Like playing Stade and Leicester who play Bristol amd Bordeaux all to be left fighting it out with Quins and Wasps (For example) for a place in the top 8 doesn't give familiarity any opportunity to breed contempt. Even in the NFL you have your 6 division games every year. When there's so many teams in the pool/group/conference whatever there's really no point looking at the table until after round 3 as there's so many variables, whereas otherwise you'd be looking at the other result and thinking bonus point/ need a win or whatever next week

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I see the branch are still selling the 3 game package for after Christmas but in reality, is it in any way likely the Stormers game will go ahead? They would have to travel before the 29th December and isolate for 10 days (training??) just for one game. Same for Leinster v Lions the same weekend.

I wonder is there a chance they might reschedule the Connacht-Leinster game to that weekend to fill the gap? They did similar for the SA derbies when the Munster/Scarlets/Cardiff/Zebre games couldn't go ahead down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Hopefully they don't reschedule the Leinster game. 3 interpros in a row followed by two more weeks in Europe would be tough going.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,634 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ah i must have misunderstood what i heard earlier. i though it was said that he is already gone to brive, which would have required a buy out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Looks like dowling, Duggan and burke all d say our training today. New loose head could be thrown in for a start

Advertisement