Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Ah sound, so we'll just give up and content ourselves with letting people die on trolleys. Sure why bother trying to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

What you quoted did.

SF's rise in popularity has more to do with housing and health than a UI.

There are people trying to make it all about a UI, to dodge the civil war party track record, because they can't accept that's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This makes for really sad reading. That Sinn Fein continue to sit on their hands in the face of the pain of these people suffering is abominable.

When the Oireachtas Committee met the Commission during the week, Sinn Fein weren't even able to use up their time. It is just sickening the way that they have behaved.

• Advertisement

Why would it be a united Ireland in all but name?

The line on here from those who support Sinn Fein is that the executive isn't a government and can do nothing, yet now it is all powerful and when SF are in charge in both jurisdictions we have a united Ireland?

It would be good if this could be cleared up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

That is true, but would require laying off some staff, changing work practices, reforming activity in hosps, etc.

SF don't strike me as the type to go against unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Sinn Féin priorities in government would include:

• Increase spending on healthcare by €3.3 billion to move from a failing, two tier health system to universal healthcare.
    • Recruit 6,600 additional frontline health workers including nurses, midwives and consultants.
    • Roll out free GP care and free prescriptions.
    • End two-tier access to hospital care and deal with the trolley crisis.
    • Invest an additional €15 million in the ambulance service.
    • Prioritise disability services and mental health.
    • Support older people by increasing home help hours, respite hours and providing additional nursing home beds.

Bear in mind that we already overspend in healthcare, yet SF plan to simply throw more money at it, 3.3 billion.

We should have shorter waiting times and lists with the same amount of expenditure.

Instead, I fear that SF are too union-friendly, and won't tackle entrenched work practices.

Just watching an interesting program about Eva Peron. She was loved by the people because she promised them everything for free. Some still cannot accept that this isn’t possible. They cannot accept that everyone must pay something towards their own life choices.

• Advertisement

Called it. Is it a coincidence that the week SF trounce the Civil War party in the polls this kind of stuff gets printed? Its odd how they only think of such things when SF are doing well. Seems very disingenuous and fake. MC isn't in SF Blanch but I'm sure she's apologised for her role.

Hopefully they talk about factors that the people have to deal with on a daily basis like housing and health in the run up to the next election.

Fair play to the IRA, BA, DUP, SDLP and SF for bringing an end to the violence.

I doubt there's many think like that Maryanne.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

There is no doubt that many do think like that.

The empty vessels who make the most noise and who ‘take to the streets after placarding up’ at the drop of a hat.

The SF response to whatever measures the Govt take …….. mica….pup…etc…….you should have given them more.

If the Govt give x. The Shinners want x+.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BackOfMyBag

you wouldnt catch the premiere league end of politicians protesting with placards bendar !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Anyone read Una Mullay's article in the IT?

Una Mullally: FG failures drive middle class into Sinn Féin arms (irishtimes.com)

No doubt this reflects a kind of visceral interpretation of a left/populist swing in the Irish (ROI) electorate but lacks any critical analysis of what a Sinn Féin led government would be like. She also seems to have a bee in her bonnet about FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Maryanne84 I have been looking through the last couple of pages of posts and I can't find where this thread as you say "it's wandered into the Enda Kenny hating territory", Can you point me to where this is please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Looking at the recent polls, vote management will be key for SF going into the next general election but what is clear is a large number of voters especially SF don't understand how it works. You only have to look at the social media comments since the last election to verify this.

Example FF played a blinder in Micheal Martin's constituency in Cork. They successfully split the FF vote and brought in two TD's and still to this day you have SF supporters stating that because he wasn't elected on the first count his seat somewhat means less than the others.

Can you see half of Marylous constituency giving their number 1 to another candidate, in fairness SF got it right in Donegal and Cavan this time round but that was more to do with the strength of the candidates than anything else.

So basically SF will need to tell their supporters that it does not matter what count you get elected in..... Something some of their local social media pages will need to understand first.

SF will need to take multiple seats in most constituencies to have any chance of forming a government, they will also need a strong Labour, Soc Dems or FF to have a new leader who is open to working with them. I'd imagine we will have another government of FF,FG + independents going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,633 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The problem for SF in the last election is that they didn't run enough candidates, they were caught by surprise I suppose by the level of support. Now the problem is do they have enough candidates to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

or FF to have a new leader who is open to working with them.

You can put your house on that. Even in the unlikely event MM is still there it looks like his heart will have changed

It comes after Taoiseach Micheál Martin appeared to soften his stance on the prospect of Fianna Fáil negotiating with Mary Lou McDonald’s party, suggesting it “may evolve depending on policy”.

But it's looking increasingly likely SF will be able to form a government without the involvement of FF or FG. Recent polls putting them on 35-37% of the vote would see them winning 65 seats at a bare minimu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

"Recent polls putting them on 35-37% of the vote would see them winning 65 seats at a bare minimu."

Counting chickens before they're hatched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

You're right, it's very unwise to prognosticate the future by

Looking at the recent polls

You know it isn't all about your conspiracy theories.

This arises from the Oireachtas Committee on the GFA discussing the issue over the last few weeks, before there was any opinion poll.

And if you are looking for a media bias, one has to ask why the media weren't all over those Committee hearings and reporting what was said in them.

Adding to the distress of victims by saying that it "seems very disingenuous and fake" is disgusting.

Thats your view of a great deal of the Irish electorate? And what if they decide to vote for another party, all of a sudden they're what? Middle Ireland wasn't going to take it and they spoke mo chara.

Actually I must apologise to the media because I missed this article.

"Mr McVeigh told the Oireachtas committee on the Good Friday Agreement today: “It’s all leading back to one party, and one group in particular, and that’s Sinn Féin and the Provisional movement and the Republican movement.

“They can garner this information, can make an effort to get this information, and, you know, talk is cheap. We can talk all day. But we don't need talk we need actions.

“It needs to be brought to the highest possible level in Sinn Féin. For example, it is never spoken about by Mary Lou McDonald in the Dáil.

“I never hear it mentioned. I never heard any reports or anything. The Deputy First Minister (Michelle O’Neill, Sinn Féin Northern Leader) had a question (on the Disappeared) put to her Justin McNulty from the SDLP.

“And she fudged the question. She would probably know me personally, but she fudged the question and didn't want to answer it,” Mr McVeigh told listening TDs and Senators, including from Sinn Féin, under qualified parliamentary privilege."

This is the voice of a victim, this is what is dismissed as seeming disingenuous and fake.

What conspiracy theory? Pointing out certain sections of society decide to use people when SF see a rise and try pass it off as caring? Thats an observation of real events, not a theory.

Using people you normally couldn't care less about if SF are floundering is whats disgusting and sadly easy to predict. Shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Many years ago when I was a drinking man I spent an evening in the company of a writer from South America. He was not very well known or famous but what he said then struck me, more so now than ever before, he said, 'Tell people the truth and they will ignore you, tell people a lie and they will love you for it'

That is quietly relevant to a lot of voters who follow a certain path.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

Seriously, are the MSM really going to try to run with the same old, same old tactics again and again?

The hatchet job attempts by using the deaths of victims of the troubles (a very turbulent time for those of us that actually lived in the north during the troubles) worked in the opposite direction they were intended to last time, and the time before that and the time before that.

I've a few kids, late teens - mid 20s, and I can assure you that the troubles in the north from the 70/80/90s do not factor in their voting intentions one iota. They've all minds of their own, but I can tell you from first hand experience, 2 of them are more concerned about getting out from my home, and into one of their own.

It's sad to see yourself and the media trying to use the deaths of others to play a card here, your concerns here may be genuine, but if so, there's a thread recently opened on the mother of a SF councillor in Donegal.

One would expect you to show up in there imminently and register your disgust and concerns in there too. Assuming it's not all for show that is.

Explains the shift away from the traditional main parties. As the man said, 'you can fool some of the people some of the time....'

It's a conspiracy theory, attributing outlandish motivations to happening in order to distract from the real news and real events such as Oireachtas Committee meetings.

• Advertisement

I put up a post where I only used the words of the victims. Here they are again:

""Mr McVeigh told the Oireachtas committee on the Good Friday Agreement today: “It’s all leading back to one party, and one group in particular, and that’s Sinn Féin and the Provisional movement and the Republican movement.

“They can garner this information, can make an effort to get this information, and, you know, talk is cheap. We can talk all day. But we don't need talk we need actions.

“It needs to be brought to the highest possible level in Sinn Féin. For example, it is never spoken about by Mary Lou McDonald in the Dáil.

“I never hear it mentioned. I never heard any reports or anything. The Deputy First Minister (Michelle O’Neill, Sinn Féin Northern Leader) had a question (on the Disappeared) put to her Justin McNulty from the SDLP.

“And she fudged the question. She would probably know me personally, but she fudged the question and didn't want to answer it,” Mr McVeigh told listening TDs and Senators, including from Sinn Féin, under qualified parliamentary privilege."

I am putting them up to remind people of what the victims actually said and asked for. I ask for no more than what they seek. That isn't using victims, that is supporting them.

Advertisement