Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 Round 22 Abu Dhabi GP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Yes it should. It seems like it went on before just wasn’t public. There needs to be some communication but there is too much lobbying at the moment, I’m not sure how you would curtail it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I'm with Kimi on this, I enjoy the racing, but everything else outside the white lines is what I hate more and more. The politics, the lobbying, the inconsistency left right and centre all really annoy me.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This is disingenuous as ****. You know full well that Max was always going to have the advantage on the brakes and covered him off excellently. Trying to make Hamilton look incompetent is a stupid take and it makes you sound like you don’t appreciate the effort Max went through to keep Hamilton behind, tyre advantage or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Clearly you missed the start of the conversation.

If the overriding concern is not ending under a safety car, then why not restart the race immediately without unlapping any cars?

That is far more logical than what was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭weisses

That was another option ... He choose not to use that option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Because Mercedes whinged and moaned about the first red flag last week so I'm sure that was playing on his mind also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

For anyone saying Lewis was gracious in defeat i would counter that a little. Lewis is and has a PR monster in mind and needs to present and element of calm after that result to protect brand Hamilton (reminds me of Brand Beckham a little). He knew fine well Toto would be the one to chase this after the flag dropped and for the record i firmly believe his dad in his ear post race was telling him to be the bigger person and publicly be nice about it. That way he can remove himself from the fall out that the Merc team is creating.. However behind the scene i think he is trying everything to overturn the result.

Also and i fully believe a lot on here will shoot this down i do not think for a red hot min that RBR would be as opposing if the tables were turned. Fir sure they and Horner would have been vocal but i dont believe he would have rocked up with a QC in hand and logged the protests to the level Merc/Tot has.

Not a mad Hammy fan but dam he has skills in car and is a rare breed of a driver and full respect for the 7 WDC so far, will he make 8? dunno as i think this may have been the chance to get it done given the new era upon us in 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It reinforces that Masi was wrong but doesn't change anything really, most people already know that Masi wasn't following any precedent.

Yeah, Ferrari did well with Sainz and the Mclaren was in good shape also, Shame Danny Ric was not higher up the gird but the boy Tsunoda with the help of Albon 2nd half of the season had a run in... learning his craft but needs to continue in 22 without the guidance as Albon has his own drive to think on after being graced a 2nd chance

Hamilton said he doesn’t want to win a title in the courts after 2007.

He has form for this so maybe, just maybe he’s actually genuine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

If Max is competent for keeping him behind, why couldn't Hamilton do the same? Max is known for going down the inside, he's done it countless times on Hamilton and on the second turn, Hamilton opens a barn door for him and doesn't make much of an effort to hold his ground. Its all about bottle at this stage. The cars were evenly matched at this stage, what Verstappen had on tyres, Hamiliton had on speed. The difference was driving ability.

Do you agree Hamilton gave Verstappen way too much room when he was passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Did Latifi over condolences to Hamilton?

Disagree, it enforces that the decision from one race to another is different as the underlying circumstances are difference and also track and condition of the track. he was bang on the money yesterday, some you win and some you lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭McFly85

To be fair Hamilton was finished at that stage. His tires were in no state to defend against Verstappen, and at that point contact would have been worse for Hamilton too, so you can understand him giving Verstappen a wider berth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,099 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

At the end of the day. Ultimately he decided the championship. if you're happy with Reality TV drama, you'll must be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I have weird feeling Hamilton might quit after this sh!t show.

I can only assume people who thought that was exciting didn't know it was already over at the restart. Bar Hamilton, taking Max out. Thankfully he didn't.

I can’t see it and I hope not. A fired-up Hamilton eager to settle the score is box office for F1.

When he was asked about next season after the race he kind of deflected in a way that signified staying on wasn't a definite.

Imo, without DRS and two evenly matched cars, Hamilton was never going to go around Verstappen on the outside and Verstappen did a great job of defending his position. The only chance for overtaking was taking a risk down the inside and Max never gave him that chance.

Max outbraked him, took a chance and held his position when overtaking, that's good driving. There's also the question of pitstops and why Mercedes didn't gamble. They played it safe and it backfired.

All in all, they lost the driving and pitstop battle. They can't have any complaints.

• Advertisement

that was never o the cards, as Max would be the winner in any case... still max pushing that hard on a final lap he almost let it slide 2 times and powerslid in the final corner so "could" have lost it so yeah it was still exciting finish

I'm wondering the repercussion of this for team tactics and driver behavior going forward. Even how teams approach things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Something that hasn't been talked about is the remedy assuming Mercedes win the appeal.

Red Bull did not commit any offence -- the alleged mistake was made by Masi and the FIA. So surely the remedy here would be to void the race results, in which case Max would still win based on standings post-Jeddah.

There was vast difference in performance. Any sliding around was Max being hyper aggressive when he had no need to be. That he ran the risk of taking himself out, well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I’ll be even fairer to Hamilton, I think he had the presence of mind to think ahead to the next straight, if we was ahead then he’s a sitting duck with Max behind enjoying a tow and new tyres, so give the space and tuck in behind on the exit and try and use a tow to his own advantage!

% wise it prob gave him a better chance of an overtake down the line as he had two straights to make an attempt instead of just one had he covered turn Max on turn 5. It was clear that even on the old tyres he had the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Wonder what the odds were for max to win with 5 laps remaining?

Brundle (who I don't really like either) made a similar point. There's really no way to change the outcome here.

They need to ban the team directors in the ear of the race director as its just putting pressure on them.

Drivers and race directors should be handed a copy of the rules at the start of the year and sign a form afterwards that they have read and understand all the rules.

I'm surprised anyone is giving Mercedes any oxygen on their complaints as they have nothing to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

You might have thought you are clever with this comment, but unless you have comments of mine saying I care about the environment, then it's really not.

Just because I highlight Hamiltons hypocrisy when he claims he cares about the climate and then flies around the world, burning rubber etc. doesn't actually mean that I support climate change action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭McFly85

The team principals talking to the race director is a funny one.

Looking at the last few races it seems ridiculous that it’s allowed. But I think the TV director plays a part too, probably maximising the drama and exaggerating the influence to an extent.

If the principal thinks there is genuinely an issue to be looked at, I’ve no problem with them making their case. But it should end with the stewards decision.

Advertisement