Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum Alcohol pricing to be signed into Law

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

The fact that the majority of this price hike goes directly to big corp retailers is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Let's be honest, people would be more upset if it was a duty hike which affected all booze.

But, yes, mup is a really stupid idea,imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Just looking at Tesco UK website today and a weekend away in NI or one of the border counties is a very attractive proposition, great bargains to be had on a lot of the wines I would buy here, Torres Centanaro £6, €12 here, good range of ales 4 for £5. Sainsbury’s and Asda good deals as well. Lidl NI a bit harder to get a handle on. M&S good deals to be had as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Just looking at Tesco UK website today and a weekend away in NI or one of the border counties is a very attractive proposition, great bargains to be had on a lot of the wines I would buy here, Torres Centanaro £6, €12 here, good range of ales 4 for £5. Sainsbury’s and Asda good deals as well. Lidl NI a bit harder to get a handle on. M&S good deals to be had as well.

Lidl in UK lags a lot behind the other retailers for good beer (or it did when I lived there 2-3 years ago). The english ale selection was always great value once you had identified a few favourites (there is a regional aspect to the good stuff) and the multibuys kicked ass.

But Tesco/Waitrose seemed to have the best beer selection, while still having great value options, ASDA had a decent selection at great prices, Sainsbury seemed to have a weaker selection, and M&S had great options but were expensive across the board.

Dont know how London beer selection in UK supermarkets translates to Newry / Derry / Enniskillen, but its worth a punt I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Timistry

Only 3 weeks to go 😥

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I have Rheinbacher four-packs and bottles of Samuel Joe's in every spare corner of the house. I'm not going out without a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Rheinbacher currently costs €4.49 and am I right in thinking this will rise to €7.75 under MUP?

Aldi sell a 4.5% version in the UK for £2.99 (It’s 4.9% here).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,840 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Not at the moment but there is political support for the idea there.

Sinn Fein supported it in the Oireachtas and the DUP are historically a bit averse to "the devil's buttermilk".

While they are making up their mind we can make our cross border pilgrimages.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Timistry

What are the odds that this will be revoked. They brought it in under the radar during COVID. When reality hits in January there will be uproar

• Registered Users Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

So they can continue to screw poor Pat with €6.00 pints.

These lads need to get real.

• Advertisement

Seeing as it has support from all parties I'd little or no chance of it being revoked.

People will be shocked when they see the price increases and they will be told it's for their own good.

There is going to be a stampede for booze during the week between Christmas and New Year's over this.

It's a wise move to stock up if you are a regular home drinker.

Best before dates need to be checked, some are into 2023 on stock in shops now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,380 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Aah heeyur……. a few months on a slab of Karpackie …. I’d tip the fookher up no problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Top tip: "best before" dates on beers are mostly meaningless. It's a stupid legal requirement but almost every beer is best before it leaves the brewery. Drink fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It will be interesting to see public reaction. This is far more costly than say the water charges for people drinking the low cost alcohol. People drinking cheap booze at the HSE low risk limit of 17 units per week will face a rise of nearly 500 euro per year. Heavy drinkers would put away 3-4times that.

Also the majority of people I know are still under the impression that this is a tax, and the pro lobby have knowingly kept quiet about this.

I expect it will be hugely negative for the Irish cider industry too.

A lot of people will have Christmas drinks left over and some do "dry January" so the real effect of MUP will be a slow burn for many.

Heavy drinkers and those used to high percentage stuff will get a shock when they go for their cans on Jan 1.

Most will blame the Government and mistakenly believe that it is a tax but in reality MUP is supported by all parties.

Funny how publicans still think this is going to help them.

After nearly two years of drinking at home due to Covid people have got used to enjoying a few drinks without paying bar prices. Even with MUP drinking at home will still be a lot cheaper than going to the pub.

Given that with rising inflation household budgets are getting tighter there is only so much that can be spent on drink so if the off sales drink eats into the discretionary spending there will less to go to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭OldRio

Following the latest Covid restrictions, which will be reviewed on the 11th of Jan. Also the MUP coming into force on the 4th of Jan. I can see a lot of normal bar drinkers being shocked at the price of their normal tipple in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

I rarely drink.

I have the odd Guinness a handful of times per year and once or twice maybe a bit of Bushmills. (Boys' drinks, I know) 😝The rest of my family are teetotal. But I still think this idea is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I predict that any criticism or pushback against MUP will be labelled as "evidence" that it was needed;

"See all this complaining just proves how desperate Irish people are for a drink, these new rules are there for their own good"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Not only will this push us to the top of the league for the most expensive alcohol in the world (at the last reckoning we were already 4th), but could have a big impact on inflation which is already on the rise. The central bank isn't that far away from raising rates as it's the European rate is now over 2%. We're already over 5%. So MUP could instrumental in raising the price you pay for your mortgage by the end of 2022 - on top of all those energy bill rises. Solid economic planning from FF/FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was in Lidl the other day and noticed that they were selling off all their stock of Perlenbacher 12 packs of cans at half price presumably to make way for whatever is coming after Jan 1st. They might be replacing it with those awful 440ml cans in an effort to keep the price as close as possible to what it was.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I would expect at least some, if not all, of the Perlenbacher lines are gone for good. Cleaned out my local of the remaining canned Perlenbacher this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah either gone for good or back as smaller 440ml cans

• Registered Users Posts: 10,318 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I've over 80 cans of the stuff piled up in the kitchen at the moment and I'll be back for more on the 27th.

I'll probably be dead from alcohol poisoning by the time MUP comes in. I'd normally only have a couple a night but I need the space so........

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

that reply is not relevant to the main criticism it should face, -i.e. that it is not a tax. That was the main argument they had against the Scottish, that was going against EU law as a rise in taxes could have done the same job. So it seemingly goes against EU law, and is cetainly unfair on manufacturers of cheaper to produce drinks, e.g. the Irish cider industry. As it is not a tax it is only effecting those drinking the cheapest drinks. So even those in favour of the idea or a price hike should be against MUP, even it it was still not a tax they should be favouring some other sort of increase across the board to "help" more people.

Some say publicans would be hit by excise as an excuse, -well if it is such a dangerous drug so what? There was little sympathy for headshop owners when what they sold was outright banned. And sure we are told if you drink at safe limits you will barely notice the difference, why should it be different for pub goers, who probably have more disposable income than those most hit under current plans.

And some say supermarkets would absorb excise increases not matter what it is, which is ludicrous, but if it did happen you could have a below cost law brought in again, more detailed than before if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Question on how much a can will go up by? So it's 10c per gramme of alcohol, a can of Guinness has 17 grammes in it...would I be right in saying a can of Guinness is at a MINIMUM going to be €1.70?

Surely not. Surely.

24 cans now are €24.

MINIMUM they can be from Saturday is €40.80... but the real kicker here is if the likes of the cheapo beer with higher alcohol content costs more PER CAN because of those facts then surely the premium brands will want to charge a premium price.

Is drink doubling in price overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭mada999

think its a minimum that the drink can be sold for... so if i'm correct... 440ml can of guinness @ 4.3% will be €1.50

so a can of G cannot be sold for less than this? maybe i'm wrong though

• Advertisement

That's about right regarding the price but we will have to wait to see how the different brands will be marketed.

By the way last day for stocking up is Monday. MUP comes in on Tuesday Jan 4th.

Advertisement