Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Second red was soft and they'd be lost with Dessie in the forwards. Penatly miss was poor too but rotten conditions in the second half. Can't see them going too far the next day on that effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,294 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Weather horrible and made a mess of the game but LC gave it a huge effort and only for a few good saves from Soky it could of been a much closer game.

Ballygunner will be relieved and know themselves an effort will not do against Kilmallock next month (why its not til early January I don't know, Leinster final taking place next weekend with the Ulster decider on today)

Possibly be missing some of the Ballygunner players for the first few rounds of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭big_drive

Stephen o keeffe still would have plenty to offer Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

That Ballygunner team aren’t built for hurling in December on a wet and windy day. To come off a 6 or 7 week break to play a team with huge momentum in weather like that, I don’t know what you expected to be honest.

Ballygunner scored 1-03 in the second half and still won by 5. They don’t give a hoot about the performance, on days like today it’s all about the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

For a guy who fancies himself as a bit of a hard man Barry Coughlan sure goes down fairly easily!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

The diving and feigning injury was disgraceful today.. Kevin keegan quote surely added to it

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

Kilmallock will be delighted to see Ballygunnar are still picking him Coughlan full back.

Barry is too good of a hurler to play full back. Anyone with a brain can see he’s wasted in the position. But he played county hurling for 5 years there. He won a league and was nominated for an all star and won how many medals and MOTM awards for Ballygunner in the position over the last 10 years? If he wasn’t doing his job at full back he wouldn’t be playing it’s as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

having had the pleasure of working with barry i can tell you he's an extremely mild mannered man and nothing but a gent, very unassuming and not an air or grace on him ,now duck off back to your wine ,you need to drink your sour grapes

• Advertisement

second red wasnt soft at all, he was sent off for striking with the hurl when he was already ona yellow, if it was a straight red maybe but he got sent off for something he saw his brother sent off for previously, albeit to a lesser extreme, what did he expect to happen ,a parade ? off the ball should always be punished with a straight red, eevery time, its nothing to do with hurling, its jsut cheap shots and thuggery.

and for those helicopters coming in here to spout off "the game has gone soft" mullane was sent off for something similar in the 04 munster final nearly 18 years ago ,act the dick get the line, particularly if off the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Personally I thought both red cards were harsh. To be fair to the ref he made both decisions on the advice of his officials as opposed to seeing them himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭farmerval

When the long ball went in Coughlan was holding John McGrath around the neck pulling him around in a dangerous fashion. That should have been a penalty and a second yellow for Coughlan. What the ref actually gave the penalty for I have no idea. Barry Coughlan going down like he was shot was disappointing.

There was a late tackle with the hurley around Brian McGrath's neck was really dangerous and that only got a yellow card. How that and John McGrath's acts got the same sanction I don't know.

Ballygunner were definitely the better team, having the extra man really suited their style of play, they played right over and around Loughmore's strongest line. Having said that it was incredible that Loughmore left so much space in from of Dessie Hutchinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Horrendous conditions on the day along with the general condition of Fraher Field made this game a lottery - the level of scoring from both sides is a testament to that. Game should have been played first and not under lights - the Kilmallock, Middleton game was the one that should have been under lights.

Looking at the conditions when i saw who was down to referee the game my first thought were that this is going to be an absolute lottery as he has bit of a history of making "unusual decisions" against both sides. The Noel McGrath sending off was wrong, however to any observer looking from either side of the ground, the momentum of the shoulder made it look as if the Hurley was used to strike, and before anyone comments on Leavy going to ground, he was caught totally unawares with a shoulder to the chest and i am sure it did knock the wind out of him - Noel McGrath is a very experienced player and should have known better than to get involved like that, but did not deserve to be sent off. That being said, in my opinion, and as often happens, the ref then proceeded to hand a number of very soft scoreable frees to Loughmore, almost like an attempt to balance things out.

The second sending off personally I have no idea what the penalty was awarded for, but John McGrath must be kicking himself for a stupid rash decision - he is again experienced enough to know better that to even make an attempt to strike - especially as he was already on a yellow card - it was a moment of complete madness and Barry Coughlan did not do anything that hurlers all over the country do day after day after day - it has unfortunately become an accepted part of the game and experienced inter-county hurlers especially should know much better at this stage. Discipline has become so important in the modern game, where the simplest of indiscretions are being punished. And yes, Barry Sullivan can count himself extremely lucky that he did not see red for his high reckless challenge - he should be counting his blessings this morning that he is not facing a suspension for the final.

In terms of the outcome I think Ballygunner will be relieved but happy, especially when they look back on the video - Socky made at least three outstanding save, ( but them missed a penalty), The conditions yesterday are the worst nightmare for a side like Ballygunner, who play a precision passing game, . so wet windy muddy conditions are always going to be a greater test for them. They will certainly be hoping for better conditions and a better pitch next day out, going to Dungarvan was never going to suit their game - so fair play to them for coming through. Tipp champions, no matter which club are always going to be extremely tough opponents going into any game.

For those who keep harping on about it is now of never for this team, do they realize how young in general this team is and how it has evolved over teh last number of years - yes Socky, Coughlan, Shane O'Sullivan and the two Mahony's have been around the block a good while but are not by any means over the hill for club hurling. But look at all the younger lads who have continued pushing through over the last couple of years - gone are Wayne and JJ Hutchinson, Shane Walsh, David, Brian and Timmy O'Sullivan, etc, being replaced by Kevin & Mikey Mahony, Paddy Leavy, Conor Sheehan and Dessie Hutchinson. This is a team that is constantly evolving

Special mention for Dessie yesterday, anytime he got any sort of ball into him yesterday he was a nightmare for Loughmore defence. A beautiful flick for the first goal coupled with a run that took the Loughmore defender across the goal and opened it up for Mahony inside to take his goal. for the second a beautiful little hand-pass inside when many others wold have tried to pull the trigger, and then got pulled down for the penalty. Thought he gave a sterling display yesterday in conditions that were most definitely not suited to him.

Looking forward to the final which will hopefully be played in better conditions but certainly on a better pitch - a very even match in prospect with very little to choose between both sides.

The diving and looking for cards was a disgraceful carry on from ballygunner, the eight in a row champions who's best players retire in their prime for Waterford and give the county very little..

Lost a lot of respect yesterday.

Lost a lot of respect with who? Ballygunner are well used to having plenty of knockers in Waterford, losing respect from further afield won’t matter much to them.

Noel McGrath’s sending off wasn’t a sending off I think we all know that. That isn’t Paddy Leavy or Ballygunners fault, that’s on the referee. Leavy was met head on with a shoulder to the chest when he wasn’t looking. Anyone that says he shouldn’t have gone down has never been on the receiving end of one of those hits. For those who think he went down to easily, have a look at Jackie Tyrrell’s hit on Callanan in the 2009 all Ireland final. I don’t recall anyone saying Callanan went down too easily.

John McGrath’s sending off was a red card though. He was already on a yellow anyway so it was pure stupidity from him. Coughlan had his back turned and McGrath swiped at him on the wrist with the Hurley. Barry had his wrist broken by a similar swipe a few years ago if I remember correctly. I heard the slap from the stand so it wasn’t as if McGrath didn’t touch him which is what some people are saying.

You conveniently forget Leavy's head high off the ball tackle with the hurley on Noel McGrath just before that which was a clear red. Noel McGrath was retaliating out of frustration for this going unpunished. Coughlan has previous with diving, just ask Alan Cadogan!

The referee took no action so that’s not on Paddy Leavy that’s on the referee. The McGraths are sharp enough to know you’re putting yourself at risk by retaliating. Conor Gleeson has fallen foul of it at county level a couple of times.

Coughlan has taken unbelievable punishment off players over the years and hasn’t had much protection from umpires or referees and I don’t like hearing any supporter calling him or anyone else a coward. I’m not a Ballygunner man, far from it, and our clubs have had serious battles over the years but one thing I have for the club is respect. They’re representing Waterford hurling so I will naturally always root for them once they step outside the county championship.

lads any truth to the rumour barrys finger is broken ?

Levy wasnt met with a full frontal run shoulder. There is a massive difference. The running looking for cards has no place in hurling

• Advertisement

The tripe here about Coughlan. All he does he pull and drag.

He’s one of the most natural hurlers you’ll ever see if you bothered to watch him when plays wing back. People love to throw that line out about not just him but other full backs. What is the job of a player at full back?

I don't agree with you on that but I won't put him down either..

Do you condone Ballygunners theatrical acts yesterday?

He's a complete liability as a full back. He is on every ref and umpires radar for years. He was so bad at tearing and dragging off the ball in one Munster club match in Walsh Park that the ref went to the Ballygunner manager at half time to tell him to take him off or he would be sent off if he fouled once more in the second half. He was hanging out of John McGrath all day yesterday. That's the most annoying thing then when he throws himself down like he's been shot when he gets a little tip.

I’m not an admirer of it in any sport, but watch hurling at any level and you’ll see examples of it. Ballygunner aren’t usually like that in fairness but I suppose it comes down to doing whatever it takes to get the job done. Time wasting, gamesmanship, codding the ref are all reasons why players/teams do it. I’m not saying it’s right and it’s no excuse but look at any game and you’ll see it in one form or another.

But it's horrible and they lost a ton of goodwill on Sunday going by the backlash on twitter..

I still stick to my point on what they give to the county is brutal. Eight in a row, only one certain starter. If that was mount sion they would have about six.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Goodwill, shmoodwill.

Ballygunner not picking the county team ( not my club either by the way). Who else from their team should be on the Co panel, and who should be dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭upthedeise16

Ballygunner are very much a self-sufficient club who are run well by their members and have huge success but their catchment area and population obviously has a huge part to play in this.

Such is their financial superiority to other clubs is seen is how they don't have Deise draw members and don't promote it and have a very successful in house draw. Other clubs depend on Deise Draw as they get a large proportion back.

Ballygunner players have been unbelievable servants for Waterford and I don't question their commitment one bit but I do feel that the standard within their own club and their relentless bid to win an All-Ireland has made the decision to retire or not commit to Waterford easier for the likes of SOK, Coughlan, Mahony etc. Other lads go back to their clubs and it is chalk and cheese compared to intercounty set-ups but Ballygunner are not far off the professional approach of intercounty teams and this group will leave no stone unturned in their bid for an All-Ireland , perhaps prioritising it over playing for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Several commentators on here are of the view that the red card issued to Noel McGrath last Sunday was harsh or wrong. For example, according to Motivator, “Noel McGrath’s sending off wasn’t a sending off I think we all know that.”

Well I, for one, disagree. It was an off-the-ball incident in which McGrath struck a player in the chest with his shoulder with considerable force. This act could come under several of the Rules of Hurling, and it all depends on how the referee (or more likely the linesman in this case) saw it.

According to Rule 5.26, “To strike or attempt to strike with arm, elbow, hand or knee either with force or causing injury” is a sending off offence. Strictly speaking, McGrath’s strike mainly involved the shoulder - and it is strange that the shoulder is omitted from this wording – but the arm and elbow were definitely involved so the rule is applicable in this case, in my view.

Rule 5.19 more obviously applies: “To behave in any way which is dangerous to an opponent”, which is also a sending-off offence. What McGrath did was definitely violent and dangerous and merited a red card. The fact that he may have been retaliating to an earlier encounter with Paddy Leavy is irrelevant – there is no licence to take the law into your own hands in the Rules of Hurling.

The referee, in my view, did make a mistake in giving John McGrath a yellow card for the later foul on Barry Coughlan. Under the Rules of Hurling it should have been a straight red. According to Rule 5.17, “To strike or attempt to strike an opponent with a hurley, with minimal force”, the penalty is ordering off. Of course, it all depends on what the umpire told the referee. Conor Gleeson got a straight red for a similar offence in the 2017 All-Ireland semi-final.

I definitely agree with blueflame when he says that, after the Noel McGrath sending off, the referee favoured Loughmore-Castleiney with a lot of questionable decisions. This tendency for certain referees to try to balance up the disadvantage of having a man sent off has been a common occurrence down through the years.

As for the game itself, once again Ballygunner showed how vulnerable they are against physically stronger and hard-working opposition, especially when bad playing conditions make it difficult for the Gunners to execute their normal short-passing game. Apart from the Stephen O’Keeffe saves, Loughmore hit a lot of bad wides from good positions in the second half. Had they got, and converted, that late penalty I reckon it would have been curtains for Ballygunner. It was really only in the closing minutes that they matched their opponents for work rate.

Apart from Dessie Hutchinson and the ever-reliable Philip Mahony, I thought that Paddy Leavy put in a really good hour, while Ian Kenny was also outstanding, especially in the second half. Kilmallock are an even bigger and more physical team who, I reckon, would have preferred a sterner examination than they got from Midleton last Sunday. If, as one would expect, the Munster final is played in Thurles, the big pitch and good playing surface should suit Ballygunner, especially if they get any kind of a good day.

• Advertisement

never had a red that i've seen so thats bollocks

Advertisement