Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Omicron variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Only if it's gone on too long or become something else. The strength of the immune system would play a part in that of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Except that omicrons projected dominant status is largely due to its ability to evade current vaccines - the reason the S1 protein was chosen was not because of any notions of stability, but because the S1 protein is used to bind to and enter cells, so immunity to that was thought to be enough to create an effective and sterilising vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There's also breakthrough cases with the original virus, the vaccines were 95% effective against severe disease and death for the original virus, this number is about 90% for delta, undetermined for Omicron (but neutralizing antibodies still work and boosters work because it restores the antibodies, severe disease protection for those without underlying conditions is expected to remain strong). Protection against infection seems to vary with the time from vaccination as the human immune system reduces the coronavirus antibodies (whereas with other viruses the drop off is much slower if ever).

But again, are you really genuinely asking or just stirring? The Vaccine thread has more information if you're interested (and asking questions in good faith).

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

People with underlying health issues have in the past being admitted to hospital with the common cold, look it's a much weakened variant so it's great news IMO just before xmas

Golly anything posted with a mild question is classed as stirring?!? stirring what exactly now?

My friend , her sister, and her Mam, all 3 jabs, and they still caught Delta, my friend has an immune system of an elephant, and she was in Connolly hospital for 5 days.

• Advertisement

SA has high numbers of unvaccinated, so not really an issue there, the S1 protein was used because it would be an effective vaccine, the sterilising effect was unknown (and it's not really sterilising when in the blood vs. the respiratory system given where SARS-COV2 tends to multiply). Those with high levels of antibodies thus far have shown effective protection against Omicron, it will likely be less effective than Delta but better than no vaccine and probably on par with previous delta infection, I'd be surprised if protection against severe disease wasn't still highly effective.

It's more that this information is easy to look up yet you are asking it in a negative fashion, fine if you were posting in good faith, but if someone is going to bother explaining something, it's usually polite to acknowledge their answer before jumping to more questions (as that makes it look like you have an agenda).

Either way, all has been explained for you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Protection against infection seems to vary with the time from vaccination as the human immune system reduces the coronavirus antibodies (whereas with other viruses the drop off is much slower if ever).

Citations please. If you think of all the viral illnesses you've recovered from in your life, go and get a bloodtest and get them to look for circulating antibodies for any of them. Good luck with that. You'd want some real deep diving to find them. Inflammation markers also shoot up with a viral illness and they too drop right off. Your body doesn't stay in high alert with all those different antibodies in high numbers circulating about. It's inefficient for a start and biological systems don't like waste. Catch the flu tomorrow and check your blood for circulating flu antibodies next summer. Again good luck in finding them in any number, but you will be "immune" to that particular variant of the influenza virus. We only need flu vaccine boosters every year because the virus mutates enough that your immune memory system doesn't recognise the new one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Nothing has been explained, I'm on boards nearly 10 years, I know how it operates thanks. And no one can claim to "know" either, you haven't been working in a lab with variants have you? So any info posted is just off the net.

My point was... The original virologists in SA, said Omicron was very mild, and people "got over " it at home.

Which IMO is great news. That was my point, no stirring, not trying to wind anyone up, not being rude or arrogant, just simply making a point that IMO Omicron seems nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement

There's a Ryanair flight coming in tonight..watch it go through the roof

You asked why there was so many break through cases, that was explained (and can be easily looked up via various papers that have been published, pre-printed and cited here). Hopefully that is the case with Omicron but we'll need to see how it effects those with underlying conditions before it can be proclaimed as milder (and luckily vaccines seem to remain effective against it).

The numbers certainly drop but not to the level that seems to happen with coronavirus (measles can be tested for antibodies many years later and still have a decent count, as an example), I'd speculate that given their common and non-severe nature, our immune system doesn't much care for holding onto them the same way as it would other virus. We've never seen the graph go out beyond 9-12 months but it does look like antibodies bottom out at some stage (certainly below the low latency neutralising needed to contain transmission), B/T-Cell response doesn't seem to be much effected (hence why protection against severe disease is still high for the majority many months later, this undoubtedly helps with transmission as well but to a much lower level).

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Recorded first case on nov 26 in SA. Of course it was already going around before that.They only started investigating it later as there was no indication anything was unusual because people came into hospital with mild symptoms, most of them non respiratory. Actually, they were pretty quick w sequencing everything considered. Kudos to them.They started more targeted testing after they discovered the (now called )Omicron variant. The positive cases went up quite quickly but did not result in many severe cases as expected like during Delta. The speed and the damage of Delta was so obvious to everyone and it seems a very different equation this time. I will leave the rest of the conjecture to others..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd say there have been 100 Ryanair flights from England since they've had Omicron..

Can you be more specific? Pilot error, terrorist attack or something else entirely? Can you give us a building or street name at least? Will I need me binoculars? Will there be refreshments?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I'm down in London next week for a party/concert/match and it seems fairly rampant so I'll let you know how it goes if I do get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yes, they do, if they are old and frail or have other underlying conditions which lead to a weakened immune system. Surely someone working in a hospital would know this?

Will there be refreshments? 😁🤣🤣👍🏽 had to giggle at that!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I hope Omicron is not accounting for much of that 30% increase in London.

I don’t know why people want to not believe that because the other option is we are back to March 2020 with a more virulent virus - and everything we did was useless. We would need a Christmas lockdown. A full March 2020 type lockdown, except mid winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

FEARRRRRRRR Dont ruin it for them Adam, its the most animating event ever for some, to most covid is a nuisance and something you'd be thrilled to see in the back mirror.

Boards.ie: "XZY said the omicrom is looking very mild" "well well well wait a sec, we can't be sure...*insert negative comments*" and when the shoe is on the other foot and they post a negative slanted report then anyone who questions it is the big spud munching simpleton who isn't clever enough to know.

Of course there's the cuter few who'll throw all the negatives with a side of "but yes it could be milder we'll have to see"

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

Enjoy, it was a real pleasure to be in London in September, very 2019. People forget things have been that way in UK for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Its still too early to say. In reality concrete data on severity could be months away.

Too many bullshiters on either side with hyperbole at the moment. Im leaning on the less severe than delta side judging from the SA data, but I wouldn't bet on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Denmark expecting it to be the dominant strain inside a week. Boosters now for over 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

They are saying Omicron will be the dominant strain in London within the next 48 hours.

I have never in my life seen somebody admitted to a hospital bed on the back of the common cold. I have on occasion seen people admitted with a cold sore. They were immunocompromised and HSV can do some damage if spreads systemically. The common cold. Not so much.

If you have evidence that these people admitted to hospital with the omicron variant all had underlying conditions. That would be great. Be useful for your "point".

Could you show me any ED hospital guideline which would admit a patient with a presenting complaint of a common cold.

Believe what? what the SA virologists said about Omicron? "The Alpha variant was the strongest version of c19 to date, the alpha ripped through people, what we see now with Delta is a much weakened virus" end quote

Spoken to me by top paramedic teachers who were called back into frontline work in the past 2 years.

Christ that's getting around quicker than 10 thousand rats with their tails on fire, hard to believe tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Despite the UK as a whole being up and down over the last while, London just seemed to be growing and growing week after week. Makes you wonder if omicron was spreading unknown there well before SA found it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

It was also the UK consensus not too long ago that Delta would push up cases between 100.000 and 150.000 per day at the end of the year. Projections, modelling, the works. Almost ALL in agreement about that. Very few extra restrictions put in at the time. It needed Omicron to (likely) get there.

And our own Tony H came out with his no doubt very solid scientifically backed up projections of...well, we dont have to go there now, do we?

So, it is all about boosters now. Forget about whether Omicron is mild or not. That is the clear message. Be very afraid, keep your distance etc.

Somebody said: 'rinse and repeat'.

Advertisement