Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Am I right in saying we haven't played Inter in about 15 years? Much prefer this match up to Salzburg who we played two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

In fairness, they're 1 point ahead of AC Milan who Liverpool beat with nowhere near their strongest team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Not even slightly worried about Inter. Unless they buy Giroud or Jon Walters in the January transfer window. Then we’re f**ked.

Wasn't to far off.

For me I want to see us play and beat as many of Europe's top teams now. We should be to good for Inter but it'll be a much tougher game than Salzburg but for me it'd be the better watch.

I would have been happy with whoever to be honest. Usually there's a team or two I'd rather avoid but we're significantly better than anyone we could have drawn. It was a very generous selection of possible teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Bit more of a glamour tie but we beat the supposed better milan side with a B team so I'm not bothered.

Surprisingly, to me anyway, we've only played Inter four times in Europe. We've won three and lost one.

They beat us in the semi-final in 1965 (3-1 and 0-3) and we beat them in last 16 in 2008 (1-0 and 2-0)

Good draw.

Avoiding PSG was the main aim. Didn't want Villilreal either. After that it was much of a muchness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Del Piero got his wish! His obvious attempt at a reverse jinx failed. 😀

Alessandro Del Piero's Liverpool admission ahead of Champions League draw

"I would take Liverpool, who are the strongest!" he joked on Sky Sports.

"I hope not for Inter, because Liverpool will also be unplayable in February. They are very strong, they have no weaknesses."

The elimination of the away goals rule actually hinders the likes of Inter, they won't be able to sit with 11 men behind the ball for the home leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The previous draw was just much better in terms of the ties it generated.

Bring back previous draw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Aye, and that 0-3 was apparently because we had Stuart Atwell on steroids in the second leg over there. Still stings for some of the (much) older supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Anyone here subscribe to The Anfield Wrap? If so what do you think of the premium content?

Im looking for a podcast that does very good match previews, good oppo preview and past encounters if anyone had one that they might recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I really like their Review Show which comes out about a full day after a game / Monday evening.

There are some shows that keep you ticking along and have fans of the opposition come on the show, in the lead up the game. Can be handy for the European games when there is a bit more of an unknown.

They do a good PL wide one too, where again they get fans of other clubs on to speak too.

Then there are a few crap shows if I am being completely honest.

Yeah that’s helpful. They seem to be the leading Liverpool podcast. I listen to Redmen Tv as well but sometimes the analysis is very barstooly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

As above, some good shows and others I'd have no interest in. There's only a handful of them I like listening too so I don't subscribe (did for a bit before). In my opinion they put out too much content and have spread themselves thin but if it works for them fair play.

But on their app you can buy tokens and spend them on the shows you want to listen to instead of a reoccurring payment, probably works out as €.75 - €1 a show or similar. Which I'll do from time to time. I think they also give you free tokens if you download their app (they used to anyway) and you can use those to see if you like the other shows before subscribing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What was wrong with first draw??? I mean it generated ties and everything was fine, how can a technical glitch effect pulling their balls out?

Just because there is a error on screen it was a redraw.? Explain

Ok that’s interesting

I did get the sense from listening to the free shows that some of the premium content would be fairly skippable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

That was the excuse

Firstly United where drawn to play Villareal which they couldn't as they where in the same group, It happened because your man got the City and United balls mixed up, they coped that and changed it,

Then when it came to draw who would play Alt Madrid, the chap put the 6 balls that could be picked to play Madrid into that bucket but he put the Liverpool ball instead of the United one , It was only coped by people watching on TV,

Madrid drew Bayern & seen a opportunity to get it scraped by complaining it was not done correctly

A few other sides thought we could get an easier draw here too. so went along and said it needs to be redone in the case of fairness,

They said the glitch was the screen was supposed to be colour coded to show the lads what balls to put in the buckets and it was wrong ,

Anyway United got an even worst draw against Atletico, so that's something. Inter over two legs is doable,

So 1/4 final on paper should be

PSG

Chelsea

Bayern

Liverpool hopefully

Atletico

Man City

Juve

Ajax

• Advertisement

It would be exciting to play United in 1/4 if the did manage to get by Atletico

Atletico are terrible this year, very lucky to come out of the group stages,

i think United will beat them handy enough,

AM had quite a few injuries during the group stage.

Everyone gets injuries, who was missing for the group stages i can't recall any of there big names missing against Liverpool twice, ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I listen to the main show, the review and the post match show (the pink most). I like under the lights too. The team talk is after the pre game press conference can vary, add can the actual. Press conference.

The live show, which is the weekend preview show I'll skip loads of the middle stuff.

Afq, wildcards, alphabet soup and three strikes are all the magazine feature bits. Very hot and miss. I don't listen to them much.

As someone mentioned there's a few shows that has contributions from other clubs. Not my cup of tea. Cup of tea is another, i hate interviews. Academy one, women's team one.

They do a variety of history themed shows. Could be a year, a player, a manager, a country a competition. They're alright in the summer.

Theres the gutter in the summer and January. All transfer talk, from the maddest stuff to the actual stuff.

Oh, the overview is good. Looks at blocks of the season. Trends, form, plans etc.

Theres more I've forgotten, the point is i get 5 shows a week out of it and skip 20. That works out 0.20 a show still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Also re The Anfield Wrap, I find that Neil Atkinson is the best and absolutely the worst thing about the podcasts. I find him intelligent and I enjoy his analysis of things I've missed myself in matches but he's domineering and I find (in the free content that I listen to) that no matter what he says, the other guests invariably say 'That's a very good point', even if he's talking unmitigated, Red-tinted bollocks. Far prefer Gareth Roberts.

For the first game against Liverpool they had to field midfielders in place of defenders due to injuries. Savic, Gimenez and Vrsaljko were injured and Hermoso started even though he was carrying an injury. Kondogbia was a big loss to their midfield. Despite all of that they still gave us a game.

Kondogbia was injured for the game at Anfield and Griezmann was suspended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

yup.. long time subscriber.. gets me through the week and brilliant when walking the dog.. good characters and actually the analysis can be very good..

my faves are the preview show (mostly the day before the next game), theres a 30 min one after each match (sometimes from the stadium), the review then after that.

I went to a live show they did a few years ago in Dublin. There's another show called Agony hour...class...

Good characters and definitely would be lost without it. Deffo worth the subscriber fee for me.

Other ones I listen to from time to time: (which i dont pay for and are free)

Liverpool Echo - blood red

Kop On

Redmen TV

Non Liverpool ones -

The Guardian football weekly.

OTB The football show (good for when ireland are playing but they do have prem league stuff)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,660 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I tend to get 5lives podcasts on a range of things including scoccer

Red Agenda on The Athletic is good. I enjoy TIFO as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Dates for the Round of 16 are out Feb 16th and March 8th leaves fixtures like this

FA Cup dates to be fitted in to of course

It's nice to have a home game after the away leg and the fact that it's against Norwich is a plus. For some reason I had thought that the game away to Burnley was immediately after the away game but it's before it which in some respects is better but it might give the Inter management notions of making the tie a kicking match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liverpool have only conceded 1 goal when Thiago as started a game this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Somehow, I think that's more of a coincidence than anything to do with Thiago. He has featured in 10 league games. He was also on the pitch for the losing goal against the hammers too. Milner has a similar record (1 conceded in 9 appearances), admittedly with fewer minutes.

Tsimikas has conceded none!

The removal of the away goals rule might help remove some of those defensive kicking tactics from some teams. Force them to play a bit, instead of the old '0-0 away from home, 1-0 at home' type scenarios.

I hate the idea , Personally i think it added drama and made playing in Europe different,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Will it not encourage the 0-0 away from home, no onus on teams to try to attack and get the away goal - in fact a 0-0 away isn't a particularly good result in recent years.

What was the driver of this change by the way, what is the reason for it?

The usual the lads think they need to keep changing things to justify there jobs,

Leave football alone for F*CK sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

And it means more extra time as well, which is never good. The away goals rule always made extra time very unlikely.

To make matters worse, the away goals rule in extra time always meant that while the home team had the advantage of another 30 mins of the tie played in front of their own fans, the away team still had the advantage of an away goal counting double in that period as well. Now, the advantage is purely with the home team in that scenario which makes getting the second leg at home an even bigger deal.

Nothing about the Champions League knockout stages was broken, absolutely nothing, yet they've gone and tried to fix it anyway and just made a complete balls of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

United will be playing their 2nd leg the Tuesday before they play Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Every change that was ever made in football has been greeted with this 'leave football alone' mantra.

(Me poor great-uncle, bless him, who introduced me to football always thought the real game ended the day they allowed substitutes. It had been an absolute core of the game since the start that the XI who started was the XI who ended. And if a manager got the XI tactically wrong or a player got an injury then that was just something you dealt with.)

Probably about 95% of changes made to the game have actually been an unqualified success.

Fwiw i'm not a fan of this change but see no reason not to give it a go for 3 seasons. You then have the results of 100+ ties (qualifiers and knockouts) to see if it's a positive or negative outcome.

Anyone think Thursday game we will see big rotation ,

Spurs game is Sunday so too close to play the same team again ,

Id reckon Tsimkas, Konate, Gomez, Milner, Keita , Firmino could all do with a start

• Advertisement

So they have the prospect of coming to Anfield immediately after being knocked out of Europe by Atletico. 😂

I think their ties will be during the run of league fixtures where they have Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Man City and Tottenham.

Not wholesale changes but I think some yes.

I would think that Konate gets another game. Milner possibly. And maybe one of Origi/Taki upfront.

Bobby & Keita to try and get some good 20 mins under the belt too.

I think there's a small chance that Salah starts on the bench too. He hasn't been benched yet this season. Others have.

Its normally around this fixture where he makes loads of changes,

Everton home, Burnley away ,in recent years,

Is the no away goals beneficial to the likes of Liverpool?

Too often we see teams not winning a game from the Round of 16, but still playing in the final. I guess it's an advantage to us, as an attacking side, but also to Inter, they too are scoring crazy amounts of goals, 43 league goals so far, we have two more at 45.

Could be a real shoot out, but then both have good defensive records also. Who knows which aspect of each team will come to the fore.

I hope Inter feel this way and come to attack us in both legs ,

Personally i think in the whole of Europe only City & Bayern are capable of taking the game to us and winning over two legs,

Of course a team can get lucky in a game but in one of those gams we will destroy you if you come on to us,

• Advertisement
Advertisement