Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 Round 22 Abu Dhabi GP

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I actually can't believe people are trying to say Max wasn't gifted a race win in Spa. It's incredible mental gymnastics to bitch and moan about Hamilton getting the benefit of a red flag at Imola but yet Spa was perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

We don't know what would have happened if Hamilton handed back the spot. Verstappen is hard to pass even in a slower car as was seen in Brazil. They could have knocked each other out. Max could have slowed up and allowed Perez or someone else to pass Hamilton. It could have been a different race and there's no doubt Hamilton got a lasting advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A race was completed according to the rules. Or do you want to throw them out now as well?

And Hamilton was punished for Silverstone but yet you never shut up about it.

Do you want to throw out those rules as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

From memory Max was the only driver who wanted to race, all the rest were saying the spray was too dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

The contractual obligations were met that day. Don't say there was a race.

So you want to ignore the rules now too? Hamilton fans can't make up their minds - they want the rules to not be followed when it suits. Hilarious.

The rules only count when they benefit Mercedes. If they don't benefit them, they are called into question.

Its playground stuff from them.

It resulted in a 26 championship point swing and you're are crying like a baby over 5 points in Belgium where the rules were also followed? Do you only want the rules followed when Hamilton benefits because that's what it sounds like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he rubbed you. And rubbing, son, is racing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

That's deflecting now. It wasn't a 25 point race win. It's about relativity between the two (+5 to Max).

You had an outcome which occurred (against Max's wishes) giving them half points based on their performances from Saturday.

Had the event not occurred, the probable alternative is an even greater sway in Max's favour (+7 minimum) with all else that was going on that weekend. The difference between this "lucky" event happening/not happening works out +2 to Lewis. Not Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

Another quote from Vettel:

Vettel said he got the message late: “Very late, but I think too late, they should let us pass straight away like other times,” said the German.

“And obviously, you have the guys fighting in the front. So you've just got to clear the path. I don't know what it was. For us it was a shame because we didn't have a race then, because everything was spread out.

So much like Alonso, he was very surprised at the initial reluctance to let lapped cars through immediately like they normally do.

The more information that comes out the clearer the picture gets - the lapped cars should have been allowed to unlap themselves like they always do. This was delayed because Toto was lobbying the FIA and trying to get them to tear up the rule book and ignore all precedent in order to gift the victory to Hamilton.

Ultimately, after all the wrangling, the FIA decided to do the right thing, but unfortunately the delay meant that some backmarkers couldn’t unlap themselves like they normally do, which was unfortunate but it was the best that could be done in the circumstances.

It's not deflecting. I said Max was gifted a race and you claimed he wasn't.

You refusing to answer the question is deflecting.

I'll ask you again.

Did he or did he not get a race win when no racing was completed and the only laps they did were 2 behind the safety car, which was enough to call a race?

Yes or no, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

No. The event was held and they done the minimum, awarded the points and all that. Technically you are correct, well done. Maybe ask the Belgian fans did they enjoy the "race". I've never been a Mercedes or Hamilton fan.

With all the talk about rules the last day or two it's interesting to see that some people actually don't give a hoot about the actual rules when it doesn't benefit their point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭McFly85

Yeah I don’t think there’s anything to complain with about Imola or Spa really. The red flag rules make total sense from a safety point of view and it’s incredibly rare that it would happen while the fastest car on the track is a lap behind the leader.

It was crap we didn’t get a race in Spa but ultimately they followed the rules to dish out the points.

Both drivers have had luck this season, and the last one to benefit was Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah Max was happy to race and Raikkonen also wanted to race and said he’s raced in much worse conditions many times. Most drivers agreed that grip was fine and were just concerned about visibility, while many just didn’t comment.

Mercedes were the ones that lobbied hardest to have the race abandoned. I was surprised on the Saturday when they said that they were going with a dry set up into parc ferme despite the weather forecast - it’s clear their plan was to dominate if the rain didn’t come and to lobby to have the race cancelled if it did.

What should have happened is that they should have just stayed out behind the safety car long term like they have many times before - this would give a chance for a dry line to form and would also have allowed them to start racing immediately during lulls in the rain - because there were periods when it lightened, just not long enough for the whole 15 minute warning process when everyone is in the pits. If there had been a full race I’d say it was 90% chance that Max gained more points over Lewis than he did for the half race given that Mercedes gambled on a dry setup.

Ultimately the title was decided by a greater margin than Max scored over Lewis in Spa anyway so the race was irrelevant to the championship in the end, though it was huge for Williams and Russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

This back and forth between posters is tiresome at this point. Can ye take it to DMs and leave the rest of us be?

I've been thinking about the result all day, my feelings are that the decision that were taken weren't ideal, but play to the whistle to adopt a different sporting analogy. The result was very harsh on Hamilton, but the result is the result. For everyone's sake, Mercedes shouldn't have protested, they stole the sheen off of Verstappen's victory and are coming across as petty at this stage. Wolff not looking good either, which is odd - from watching Drive to Survive and stuff I would have expected him to be the more conciliatory of the 2 principals.

This does leave Formula 1 with a lot of lessons learned though, and clearly better rules need to be in place going forward. I heard somebody say that the rulebook is 99 pages long, but if one of the rules is that the race director can do what they want, then why have the other rules?

One for the nerds here - who has the decision making power to change the rules? Do the teams have any input at all? Do they get to vote on them, do the FIA impose them or is it something else? Because clearly an overhaul is needed. One simple thing that I heard Martin Brundle suggest - if it's a safety car, get the backmarkers to just fall through the pack, rather than going all the way around to un-lap themselves. That would have helped yesterday...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Bottas is a rubbish driver, he’s just been a doormat for Lewis to walk all over.

I won't be forced to a closed answer as that's not the framework we're dealing with. Topic is Max v Lewis and their respective runs of luck.

You're using Max's apparent Belgium "luck" to counter Lewis' Imola (-18 Max versus a race where no external incident occured), Silverstone (-18 Max) and Hungary (-15 Max).

I'm saying Belgium didn't sway the title in any direction versus a scenario where they race. If anything Lewis benefited by only conceding 5 to a pole sitting Max in wet weather.

• Advertisement

Exactly the point I was trying to make, but for some bizarre reason people choose to ignore/make excuses for.

Thank you.

I'm not comparing Max to Hamilton.

I'm making the point that people who bitch about Max having 'no luck' this season is absolute horseshit. He absolutely had luck and was involved in incidents which massively benefitted him.

And you won't answer the question because you know what the answer is, but you're too stubborn to admit it while trying to ramble on about everything else that's been done to death.

You're now saying Hamilton benefitted by losing out on five points and one race win to his rival? Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Does anyone know why Perez was retired during the safety car?

He didn't seem to have an answer when he was asked in the interview after the race and seemed pretty surprised when he was told to retire at the time

Agree with your points. F1 is a sort of bottom up organisation or used to be in that the teams like to agree things. I think that is the basis of the Concorde agreement, unanimous decisions, etc. There's maybe too much democracy in it. As for improving the rules, there needs to be a clearing up of them. They are contradictory in parts. Was reading today that Hamilton was able to go off the track numerous times in one race before being warned about gaining an advantage. When Verstappen passed him at one point and went off the track, he was ordered to surrender the position. When Hamilton goes off and retains the lead in Abu Dhabi nothing is said. So if its ok for Hamilton to do it, why not everyone?

As for the last part its crazy that a frontrunner like Verstappen would end up behind a load of backmarkers under a safety car. He should be allowed pass them to regain his position in a controlled way, they drop back or else they unlap themselves.

You are calling Belgium a gift/luck towards Max. I countered with the alternative. And if you can't comprehend the maths then I'll leave you to blindly defend sir Lewis versus the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭TheRona

The thing with Hamilton for me is that he's just a complete PR machine now. My dislike for him started back in his 'monkeys at the back of the grid' days, but maybe he's just matured since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

The hypocrisy is breathtaking, the same lad said that Hamilton shunting Verstappen off the track wasn’t intentional. Such laughable nonsense.

• Advertisement

Yes, but who is the one leading that decision?

The driver, who many have been at their wits trying to claim it's all a front/PR show and that he'll let the suits do whatever.

Advertisement