Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To the people who say the troubles was not a war

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Just because it wasn't a written policy doesn't mean it wasn't a policy. How did govt and the RUC become controlled and mainly occupied by protetastants, was that just luck. No it was a policy. Excluding Catholics from having a vote was done by using a system of only rate payers having a vote, that led to the famous "one man one vote" civil rights movement in NI. After that was changed the policy of gerrymandering was employed, again a policy to discriminate against Catholics, may not have been explicitly written but it is well acknowledged that the policy existed. Read this and it will outline the policy of the RUC and state in NI to brutalise the Catholic community, it's not written in statute but it happened and was allowed to continue, it was ignored and those that carried out the crimes were seldom punished. A policy.

chrome-distiller://c6db7c6f-2fa8-44ac-80e1-14c2e9b30e07_882d1a24803d39a99785152800f15eda60c7fdd50bb188cbdd93538a6f04a4c0/?title=CAIN%3A+State+Violence%3A+Northern+Ireland+1969-1997%2C+by+Raymond+Murray+(1998)&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcain.ulster.ac.uk%2Fissues%2Fviolence%2Fmurray.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

brutalisation/discrimination against catholics was a main component of the protestant state for a protestant people.

therefore by defacto all discrimination from agents of the state was policy and didn't need to be written down to be so.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

I’m struggling to see why a Protestant state should be joined to a predominantly Catholic one. A recent pole showed Irish people are are in favour of a United Ireland down the line, but object to it if they have to pay for it. Money talks.

neither the south or the north are religious states any longer thankfully, most people in the south are not catholic.

they will be paying more for not having NI as part of it's home territory where it belongs.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Nobody baptises, does holy first holy communions, conformation, weddings or funerals in the Catholic Church anymore.

Republican facts and reality are often unrelated

they do but realistically they are only doing it to do it or because they don't want to upset the parents, you won't see them in a church again before or after those so aren't catholics.

If they baptise their kids into a religion and allow them to receive sacraments, then they are Catholics.

I'm the 2016 census, over 78% of the population identified as Catholic

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

So the guy arguing for terrorism IS making sense, and the guy arguing that it is wrong is NOT making sense.

Good man. We should just be glad you weren't born at a time or place when your extremist nature would have you murdering innocent people 'for the cause'.

that's only a technicality.

they aren't ultimately catholics, just catholics in name.

• Advertisement

Total nonsense. You don't get to decide peoples faith.

Post edited by AckwelFoley on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Who are you to decide that?

If they are participating, who are you to say it's a technicality? That's not any kind of argument. It's you deciding something in your head

You're basically insulting anyone of the RC religion.

Which is self proclaimed to be 78% of the population.

Maybe end of the road wants to test the faith of the population to see if they are proper believers.

Do you live in Ireland, you would know it's a box ticking exercise for many, that's why the churches are bulging at the seems on Sunday. If people want to believe in religion I don't think anyone here is saying they can't, what's being said is many that tick a census box pay little attention to what they are doing.

Maybe we should introduce the German system, where your earnings are subject to an 8% religion tax, I'm sure you would happily pay, but do you think the 78% of the Irish population would keep ticking the religious box if they had to pay that additional tax.

I’m catholic, rarely stood in a church over the past 20 yrs. But I’m still catholic, no matter whether you think it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

Hilarious, so anyone who supports the old IRA, US Army, British army and all other armed groups in the world also support the murders of all the civilians they killed?

Everyone who supports the old IRA supports disappearing dozens of teenage protestants in Cork and burying them in unmarked graves? They all support killing pregnant women and children?

Or let me guess your rules only apply to the provisional IRA and nobody else right.

The percentage of combatants killed by the IRA in comparison to civilians is extraordinary compared to other guerilla armies like the old IRA and regular armies like the US and UK forces so I can understand why you want to hold the provos to such a high standard (I do too) but you are being unrealistic and unfair.

No, what is being said here is that one poster has decided that everybody who claims to be a Catholic in Ireland is only a technical Catholic.

Posters making things up is what is happening here.

• Advertisement

it's not me deciding it, it's the relevant teachings, god and holy book that is likely deciding it.

speaking the truth is not insulting.

as i said to the other poster, it's not me deciding anything but the relevant book god and teachings that likely decide it.

Great. Show me in the teachings of the Catholic faith, where not attending mass no longer makes you a Catholic.

i said likely decide it, meaning i only know from actual catholic friends what i state to be so.

it's common sense that if you don't take part in the teachings of a religion you are not of a religion really.

There you go again. Making assumptions that aren't fact. It's not at all common sence. In fact it's nonsense

I invite you to ask your Catholic friends to offer you some evidence that failing to attend Mass makes you no longer a catholic

One only needs to declare themselves Muslim and live a life according to Islam to be considered a Muslim.

You're alluding to a lapsed Catholic, to which they are many, but they're still Catholic. People practice their faith in many ways. As i said, you don’t, nor does your "common sence" get to decide if they remain Catholic or not

Not true at all.

In fact the RC church have made it basically impossible to actually leave. So, once a Catholic always a Catholic

• Advertisement

I don't think that was the intent of his point originally, the first point was neither IRL or NI are religious states, a sweeping statement, but one with some truth to it. 50yrs ago and beyond the Church had a strangle hold on this country and in my opinion not a healthy influence. But today it has little to no control/manipulation politically with the running of the country. Any decision to reunite this country will most likely be one without religious interference, personally I think the decision to hold a border poll is one that should only be triggered with a majority within NI, without pressure from Westminster or Dublin. As Brexit rumbles on and NI continues to outperform GB, that day will come but most likely it will take years.

As for points made about mass (not you) my understanding its commandment no. 3, that you as a catholic must attend mass. That obligation was set aside by the church for covid and may have been restored, I don't pay that much attention myself.

I see you ignored my post I'll put it up for you again, so is it possible to support the old IRA, US Army, UK army without supporting all the innocent victims they killed? Or is it only the PIRA this applies to?

Hilarious, so anyone who supports the old IRA, US Army, British army and all other armed groups in the world also support the murders of all the civilians they killed?

Everyone who supports the old IRA supports disappearing dozens of teenage protestants in Cork and burying them in unmarked graves? They all support killing pregnant women and children?

Or let me guess your rules only apply to the provisional IRA and nobody else right.

The percentage of combatants killed by the IRA in comparison to civilians is extraordinary compared to other guerilla armies like the old IRA and regular armies like the US and UK forces so I can understand why you want to hold the provos to such a high standard (I do too) but you are being unrealistic and unfair.

So they're all innocent even if the leadership RUC special branch (along with MI5) is orchestrating killings of hundreds of innocent Catholics by using loyalist paramilitaries as proxies and the torture of many thousands in RUC stations, John Stalker said he had never experienced... such an influence over an entire police force by one small section" in regard to RUC Special Branch.

You can't have all 20,000 involved in torture and murder, but your completely innocent so long as your not directly involved in these actions even if the organisation you are working for have a policy of this?

A great excuse the nazis and the like use, sure I wasn't involved in that part of things, I'm innocent I was just throwing up checkpoints.

My rules? Nope, I already asked if people supported the old IRA and the PIRA, why do they not support dissident republicans? They are all the same are they not? With the same aim?

Obviously I don't support the US or British armed forces, it's not soccer you know, why would I have any reason to 'support ' another countries armed forces? But they are legitimate armies and as such are bound by international and humanitarian rules. So accountable for any innocents they do kill, unlike terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

"But they are legitimate armies and as such are bound by international and humanitarian rules"

The US or British armed forces and the entities that send them into conflict are absolutely bound by no such rules. If they were, the invasion of Iraq in 2003 would have had at least a dozen leaders of these groups sent to International criminal courts to be held accountable for the hundreds of thousands, possibly the millions of innocents that were murdered, all sanctioned on nothing but lies.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This is unfortunately the nature of war. The organisations themselves operated with the explicit intention of oppressing the subjugated demographic of the population, and maintaining an illegitimate government (illegitimate by virtue of coming to power via an intentionally undemocratic and discriminatory electoral system). In a conventional war, nobody asks which soldier on the opposing side drives the tank and which one pulls the trigger for its gun; by virtue of driving it both individuals are valid targets.

How Northern Ireland was run prior to the Good Friday Agreement was a good example of the kind of "rogue state" which honestly should have merited UN intervention. I personally believe that this vitriolic and toxic debate is usually doomed to failure from the beginning because so many people fundamentally refuse to recognise this.

Any government anywhere in the world which intentionally denies voting rights to some of its citizens in order to preserve an artificial majority is a legitimate target for an uprising, armed or otherwise. Those who work in defence of that government through the use of force rather than joining its dissenters are, likewise, legitimate targets.

I'd say the same about our own government, by the way - this is not specific to any particular conflict. If the Irish government tomorrow decided to remove voting rights from one gender or other, or those who do not own property, or those whose income falls above or below a certain threshold, or any other metric expressly designed to benefit one political movement over another during an election, I would have no hesitation in suggesting that a mass protest was in order. I would call for such a protest to be a peaceful protest, as indeed did NICRA in the late 1960s.

If, however, the Gardaí intercepted a march to the Dáil at, say, College Green, and mercilessly beat the sh!t out of those marching for defying a government ban on said march, I'd regard AGS as an organisation as a militant arm of an illegitimate government just as I regard the historical RUC as a militant arm of an illegitimate government. I say the same regarding the cops in the US, which is why I for one believe riots targeting the US police to be entirely justified until the era of unaccountable police killings of civilians in that country over minor offences comes to an end.

No one is suggesting that you or anyone else has to agree with this mindset, but I do find it frustrating that debates on The Troubles tend to go around and around in circles because this fundamental ideological difference is rarely addressed directly. Some people believe the pre-GFA government of Northern Ireland, and anyone who worked to uphold its rule, as fundamentally illegitimate and deserving of armed resistance. Others do not. Ergo, some regard violent resistance not only against the government, but against those who worked in its defence, as justified. Others do not.

I don't reckon any amount of arguing on the internet will ever convert somebody from one of these ideologies to another, but it does piss me off when people just argue ad nauseum "this was right" "no it wasn't" without addressing the fundamental underlying question, in this case "do you believe that the pre-GFA government of Northern Ireland was a legitimate, democratic government or an illegitimate, undemocratic plutocracy". Only with the answer to this question in mind does the question "is violent resistance against an arm of that government justified" make any sense.

Presumably most people would on some level agree that when a government reaches a certain level of brutality, autocracy, or oppression of large demographics, violent rebellion is justified after peaceful rebellion fails. If that's the case, all that's left to argue about is whether (a) Northern Ireland pre-GFA met that threshold, and (b) peaceful rebellion could be reasonably described to have already failed prior to the beginning of the armed conflict.

I would answer yes to both questions. I suspect that you and others who take a harsher view on the IRA's actions towards arms of the state might answer no to at least one of them?

They are of course bound by such rules, that they were not held accountable is on those international leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

But they are not bubbly. If they were, then the ultimate decisions that those armies Leaders made, decisions that were based on lies, fantasies and propaganda, would have been made accountable. They have never been made accountable. And at the same time the entire world knows that these "legitimate" entities based their invasion on an absolute and total Lie that has done untold damage to our western way of living, not to mention the entire swathes of Middle eastern nations that were reduced to nothing but warzones and rubble. The ultimate proof that these gangs are not held by any sort of humanitarian or international law is the Iraq invasion of 2003, there is no getting away from this fact.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

The UN can't just intervene in a state, a request has to be made by the state itself.

No matter what ways it's looked at , those events unfortunately were regarded as a domestic situation.

There were attempts by the Irish government to request UN intervention in the North in the early 70s but they were always a non runner as was a request to allow Irish soldiers to deploy with UK Agreement in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

Imagine indeed. Colonel Paul Tibbets was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross just hours after he murdered and maimed hundreds of thousands of innocent men, women and children in Hiroshima. He was later hailed a national "hero" and was frequently photographed with his family for national publications.

What do you mean "Wow"?

Are you completely unaware of the campaign of discrimination and brutalisation against Cathoilics in Northern Ireland? Are you aware that they were forced into ghettoes and the were end of the housing list. Catholic schools received scraps of state funding compared to Protestant schools. If you went for a job in the Civil Service or Harland and Wolf and were a Catholic you were shown the door no matter how educated or qualified you were. Oh and there's the small matter of Protestant gerrymandering meaning Catholic votes were meaningless. When Loyalist mobs burnt thousands of Catholics out of their homes on a regular basis the RUC and the B-Specials just stood by as they supported the ethnic cleansing. The Irish Army had to set up refugee camps on the southern side of the border to house the displaced Catholics who were burnt out. And this all happened under the watchful eye of Westminster.

Are you going to say "wow" to that? Are you going to deny it?

Yeah I think the majority of parents baptise their sprogs just to get the all important baptismal cert that is need to get into a Catholic school which most schools are in the Republic, either run by nuns or Christian Brothers.

You don't need any certificate to get into schools in Ireland. We don't discriminate.

Someone somewhere else did something so something something something......... 🙄🙄

That's the best you can do? No going to throw out the "whataboutery" buzzword?

You rail against the IRA for killing a small number of innocents yet are conspicuously silent in the face of state sponsored terrorism that slays hundreds of thousands if not millions.

Instead of cursing the actions of resistance movements you ought to do yourself a favour and investigate the reasons why they take the actions that they do or even exist.

Remember the Irish population by and large opposed armed insurrection in 1916 and tolerated British rule. It was only when the Brits put the leaders of the Rising up against a wall and shot them dead that the public were horrified and repulsed by the actions of the Crown and threw their support behind Sinn Fein.

• Advertisement

I see that the baptism requirement was removed in 2019. I guess that's progress but 2 years ago isn't a long time.

State sponsored terrorism? The US and UK armed forces is it?

Different conversation and nothing to do with the IRA

Not really. It's all relative. There would be no IRA if it wasn't for British colonialism, oppression and exploitation. For centuries Irish nationalist movements tried peaceful methods. They tried boycotts, they tried meetings and demonstrations and petitions, they tried parliamentarianism. They were ignored, laughed at or betrayed at every turn. It was only after violence was resorted to that anything changed and then you go whingeing about the tactics of those engaged in armed resistance. You remind me of someone who repeatedly kicks a dog and then goes crying to animal protection when the thing bites you back.

The British Army, Auxiliaries and Black and Tans TERRORISED the civilian population of Ireland. That fact is most definitely NOT a different conversation and nothing to do with the IRA.

Do you expect the IRA to meet the British Army on a field somewhere only to be machined gunned down by British warplanes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This is the crux of my argument as well. Literally the minute a baton connected with human skin at Duke Street, Derry on October 5th, 1968, violent revolution became justified and the entire organisation of the RUC became a legitimate target for said violent revolution. It really is that simple. Rogue state oppresses a massive demographic of its population -> That population tries to resist by peaceful means -> The rogue state responds with violence -> The population are entirely justified in responding with violence of their own.

Anyone who willingly remained a member of the RUC after the events of that day and the aftermath of cover-up, denial, and a total lack of punishment for those who attacked the march was a willing participant in state-mandated oppression, and a legitimate target for the violent uprising which inevitably followed. Plain and simple. Anyone who chose to wear the uniform of the British army or the badge of the RUC after the events of October 5th was, knowingly and willingly, participating in the oppression of Northern Ireland's nationalists. No ifs. No buts.

Beautifully fcuking illustrated. Except the B-Specials were breaking bones and smashing teeth for years before 1968. These scum were disbanded in 1970 except their former members handed in their uniforms and were given new ones. "Take your pick, lads, RUC or UDR", and back out these thugs went to beat the tar out of any Catholic kid and his girlfriend coming home from the cinema on a Saturday night. Nice work if you can get it. Like disbanding the Alabama KKK but giving them all jobs in the Jackson, Mississippi PD.

So what would you do? You and your peers and cohorts go out on a regular basis and not only brutalise a civilian population but protect those who mandate such injustice and then it's made known that you are now a legitimate target? On duty or off. Would your hatred and intransigence and bias make you dig your heels in and fight back against those whom you have been terrorising or would you say "You know, fcuk it. I've kicked down a load of doors and slapped around or tortured civvies. I don't want anyone smashing into my house and exacting revenge by gunning me down in front of my wife and kids. Time to take stock."

The British Crown and their pitbulls in the RUC and the UDR and the UDA created this mess and yet those who fight back by any means necessary are the bad guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,523 ✭✭✭✭Esel

OP, are you American by any chance? Such rose-tinted glasses...

Not your ornery onager

You're obviously aware of the amount of deaths caused by Japanese aggression from the early 30s upto the end of the war and the concern that the Japanese were never going surrender.

A loose estimate of 14 million dead across South East Asia with some contributors being unable to give any estimate of Chinese dead .

Japanese military routinely murdered POWs and civilians, with less than 100 Chinese POWs being released after the war.

Bearing in mind the Japanese were never going to surrender , the dropping of nuclear bombs became the only option with Japanese showing no indication of surrender even after the first bomb.

Blaming the Americans for Hiroshima and Nagasaki is the easy option, the responsibility for those deaths is Japan's aggression across the Far East.

You mean we don't openly discriminate. If you have a school with a waiting list then you'll find being catholic will help. It will also help if there's a sibling in the school. Theres a reason the church won't relinquish control of primary schools, when they do it will be a major blow to its membership.

There is no baptism requirement for schools in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I never said there was, I said catholic schools (not all) do follow a policy of prioritising catholic children. Because they want to indoctrinate them with Church teachings, they can't do that in secondary school because at that stage they would be laughed out of it by the pupils.

There was a time that this discrimination was policy, but successive governments have tried to loosen the stranglehold the church has over our primary schools, there's progress but still work to be done.

Don't get me wrong, if someone wants to follow a belief system then that's their business and if that makes them happy and keeps them honest then I see no harm in it. But state funded schools shouldn't have this forced upon children. If people want that then they can pay to have their children attend 'sunday school'

An aside, Weddings, Easter, Christmas are all pagan rituals, they don't belong to the catholic church, they belong to the people. It was a tactic adopted by the church to infiltrate the local population, historians believe Jesus wasn't born in Dec.

Advertisement