Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Secret Santa is a pain in the aras, so anyone who was involved in the secret santa would have known it was a party they were attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've seen a lot of commentators saying that Starmer not calling for Johnson's head is proof of his weakness, but I'd be inclined to go with, "Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake".

Forcing the Tories to oust a leader, for effectively the second time in 3 years, gives a strong edge on the "strong and stable" stick that can be used to beat the Tories over the head with.

The Tories' problem is that any successor to Boris still has a big pile of crap to deal with. He has functionally not managed to really make any major moves forward after taking over from May. He "got Brexit done", but they're still having the same old arguments and discussions about Northern Ireland and treaties and withdrawal agreements that stuck May in the mud. If the next leader can't do that, the UK could arrive at the next election and Brexit is still a "thing". Consider how bad it looks that the Tories were in power in 2016 when the referendum went through, and 5/6/7 years later, it is still not really finalised or implemented in any satisfactory way.

And the Tories have nobody without any greasy fingers. The next theoretical Tory leader will be someone who has backed Johnson's mess to the hilt and so can't claim to be a breath of fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This from JRM in the house of commons is as close as giving a member of the opposition the finger as you'll probably get in that venue.

This shouldn't be acceptable at the best of times, for him to behave in this way with the way the last few weeks have gone for the Government and the Tories is actually close to being sinister in my view as it shows the complete apathy he and they have for the public and anyone who might have a contrary opinion to the false narrative that Brexit is a roaring success.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: 2 posts removed. Let's not do yet an autopsy of the referendum here please. Feel free to start a new thread. We also have the Brexit thread for specific Brexit discussion. Thanks.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

In most democratic countries this sort of reply and dismissal of scrutiny would have consequences. But this is the UK after all

Well, I'm not sure about that. We've had the 'F you Deputy Stagg' in Dail Eireann and we all know what the floor is like in the houses of congress in the US when it comes to dignity and respect. Elsewhere in Europe we see actual fist fights from time to time and Australia's parliament sees exchanges that are more like a school playground than that of the highest elected office in the land.

But, it is worrying because it shows how little he cares about the fact that he is blatantly lying and ignoring the reality of what Brexit has been. And as I pointed out in my earlier post, all this at a time when you really would expect them to be trying to redeem themselves to some degree. That comment was of someone who isn't in the slightest bit concerned about how he, his party, PM or government are being perceived. And while people focus on the christmas parties and the second jobs, and the wearing/not wearing of masks, the passing of bills that can renege someone's UK citizenship, the cutting of social welfare benefits and or the awarding of massive contracts such as Track and Trace or for PPE to friends of key Tories is sliding out of public consciousness.

And when the time comes to focus on the next GE, they'll wrap up Johnson with all the negative press and discard him and promise everyone that they have learned their lessons. And JRM looked like he feels that they literally have the run of the place. I'm repeating myself here, but its entertaining, but very worrying as well.

When a party can have so so many mistakes as the Toies have had since the Brexit referendum was announced, and still be sitting on such a majority nearly 7 years later then you have to be concerned about just what they are going to do. And we're watching them do it. Met refusing to investigate the actions of the government is very worrying for what it actually means moreso than because they are going to get away with having broken Covid regulations.

Of course, one point worth making in all this is to paraphrase Will Smith talking about police brutality, that maybe it isn't that things are necessarily getting worse, but just that now, everything is recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Everything about that guy annoys me. I can't get my head around how some brexiteers see this guy as the champion of the working man. It's so bizarre.

A certain guy with a gold plated apartment being the hero of the working class in the deep south in the US comes to mind also.

And while people focus on the christmas parties and the second jobs, and the wearing/not wearing of masks, the passing of bills that can renege someone's UK citizenship, the cutting of social welfare benefits and or the awarding of massive contracts such as Track and Trace or for PPE to friends of key Tories is sliding out of public consciousness.

Here's more of what I was talking about in the post above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

There is a considerable echo of the Brexit nonsense though, in the fact that there is now a "Covid Recovery Group", who membership seems to intersect with the old ERG.

Many of the same sort of airy assumptions and British exceptionalism have transferred directly to the Covid debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It appears that the vaccine/antigen test regs are only going to pass with Labour support - 90+ rebel Tories.

This might be something to do with why the Met have been criminally slow (pun intended) of investigating Tory/Government restrictions violations.

The next tweet in the thread is pretty telling.

Will Boris survive till the new year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

The rebellion last night included not only the usual suspects, libertarian hard right, but (relatively) centrist remainer Tories like Damian Green.

Now maybe they are sincere in their motives, but are they giving Boris a kicking just because they want him out?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It really speaks to the values of the tory's that corruption, incompetance and lying they are fine with it but try to introduce a public health measure that is already in the multiple other European countries and helping a lot and they say no......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No more than any other breach of CoVid regulations, I would hope all those Tory staffers get the boot. No exceptions, no excuses when the situation was clear-cut. We can debate the degree to which Johnson and co. are responsible but like any other workplace or institution - the rot starts at the top with these things. Management level often dictates the culture downwards, NOT the other way around; it was always thus with any complex, modern workplace.

It's no wonder I'm hearing (possibly apocryphal) stories of Costa Coffee stores with notes asking customers not to hassle those wearing masks; if this is the standard set by the civil service, no wonder you got these hyper-individualistic groupings fouling the soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

It's almost touching that these rebel tory mps have such concern for people's freedom and civil liberties, yet barely a peep out of any of them when those liberties were being ransacked by the Police and Crime Bill. You'd have thought these remorseless patriots and defenders of freedom would have been all over that one but, nope, cat got their tongue for some strange, unfathomable reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think much hinges on Christmas. If people face a disrupted Christmas like last year, knowing what we know now about their open contempt for the population of this country I think he's done. Nothing riles people up like cancelling Christmas.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Seems a really unusual position they're in at the moment. Johnson might be nominally pm, but really, does he still retain the authority that title suggests? Say the scientific advisors pushed for further restrictions in a weeks time, how could Johnson possibly try and push that through, even if he wanted to? Tone is set for backbenchers to rebel when they want to and Johnson won't have labour to bail him out on other issues. As long as they perceive no more missteps, I think they'll leave him at it for now. Only immediate danger for Johnson is more damaging party pics emerging and potential humiliation in North Shropshire tomorrow.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Nothing reliable - They don't really have a methodology for constituency polling, so they tend not to bother.

Bookies odds have Tories by a whisker ahead of Lib Dems.

Saw one yesterday that had tories a percentage point ahead of lib dems but that was internal lib dem poll so you might treat that with caution. While there's no formal voting pact, definitely lots of labour voters are switching so seems sure to be pretty close anyway. Way things are going, any sort of victory probably a relief for Johnson at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Chair of the 1922 committee said a leadership challenge "is on the cards" if "Johnson doesn't change direction" soon

Which probably means he has the required number of letters in his desk drawers but a number of them are on pause.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

Can you elaborate on that a bit more? What does "on pause" mean? What will trigger the activation of those letters? A specific event or events and if so, which ones?

To save the time of having to get the signed letter of no confidence in a leader to Graham Brady, some MPs give him one when they think the leader is getting wobbly but say they're not active.

Each MP that has sent a letter gets to decide if the letter is active or not, they can also take it back entirely. Odd system. He needs 54 active to call the vote.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm surprised that I never saw this video before but given what Raab and the government are attempting to do in terms of Human Rights legislation in the UK, it is somewhat apt.

NSFW...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Not that I have any sympathy but it's hard to know what Tory backbenchers even want anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

SNIP. Serious posts only.

Advertisement