Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

If you sold your house and it had 6kw worth of panels, would the new owner get the low FIT or high FIT. Or would they get feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Story of my life 😂

But seriously, even at market prices (sometimes double RRP or more), GPU mining is still very profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

Am I seriously reading this correctly! Fit payments may now start in June next year! If so then the government and the cru are completely taking the pi*s! What happened to Eamonn Ryan promising on the news only two weeks ago that it will 100% start from January and this following on from eu guidelines that it should be arranged from last July.

Also get the feeling from the cru wording that you will have to enter a specific plan with your supplier which you then don't get your cheap night time rates so essentially cancels out any small fit. Only in Ireland would a regulator allow this to happen!

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/who-is-eligible-to-sell-surplus-electricity-back-to-the-grid/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Not surprised one bit,

Smart meter (spell check was a bit off on the article, its metre there...) if eligible.

If not eligible, an estimation is used. - I wonder does having a day/night count as not eligible :P

I think the first payments is in june ish... although you'll not be exporting much until may/june anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

I'd assume they have to allow you to no matter what meter until they change it but says you have to accept a smart meter if they plan an install at your house or if refused no fit. Fit can be as low as 0c so not exactly enticing. But the loophole get out for the suppliers is the ability to only pay out if you accept a feed in plan which they will I would think have higher day/night rates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I plan on installing roughly 5KW diy on the shed, then in another few years an additional 6KW on the south facing roof.

I will have 2 electric cars soon, I would rather get a decent sized battery and an eddi than divert anything to this absolute pointless scheme where I bet the overall increase in tariffs for day/night will massively negatively impact me!

Ireland does not support going green!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's been pretty much agreed on here for a long time that FIT will be sh1t and of zero benefit, that's my opinion anyhow

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Yeah. Batteries FTW 😁

More batteries for me so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭v10

Well the benefit might be minimal but surely it's better than getting nothing for your excess? My 4.4KWp system even with battery (installed mid June) has exported over 500kWh to date (6 months) .. surely if I'm getting anything for this it's better for me ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The problem is though if you are getting anything from FIT, I’d hazard a guess the ‘smart rate’ you’d need to be on with a smart meter installed would leave you worse off….

FIT might earn you €50 a year, but you might be paying €100 more a year with a smart meter rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Bray on the Dart lads......meet you out there.

I'm self consuming 100% except for a handful of exceptionally sunny blue sky days in summer (and that's without a water diverter or charging the car - purely my high consumption and use of the 10kWh battery)

The grid of course is the best battery, but not if we're not really paid for it. If the government were really serious about giving solar a massive kickstart, they would force net metering onto the utility companies. See what that did in California / Germany / Netherlands. Many, many houses / businesses are covered in PV now.

A nice way to do it would be to measure the amount of excess you export over a season, which you can then offset against electricity you import in the off season, at perhaps a reduced rate or something (allowing for higher cost of generation in winter).

so let’s say next summer I export 500kWh….. I should then be able to get that 500kWh back over the winter at say half price or something… it would encourage folks to install bigger systems, knowing that the grid is their battery and whatever excess they generate, they get it back somewhat when they actually need it…

Net metering actually means you get the units back at zero cost

So if you have a medium size install of say 4kwp, producing 4MWh per year and you use 4MWh per year, your total electricity bill for the year would be zero. No standing charges either. That's the way to do it. Money for nothing and electricity for free 😂

The way it works in California.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

In fact it was so successful in California....they are thinking of stopping additional solar installations. Hawaii went that way. The grid couldn't handle the current going in the other direction!!

California’s Grid Capacity Could Undermine Its Clean Energy Drive And Access Among Poorer Households, Study Finds (forbes.com)

Net metering was the submission I made during public consultation phase, they really are a joke those public consultations, say 60% of submissions were for net metering, still means nothing to them, they go with what they want to go with and ignore submissions and proven incentives from elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Is a smart meter mandatory in order to get the long awaited FIT? I have a day/night/export meter (elster A1140) so I'm wondering if I'll have to give this up - depending on the fit rates of course😉

I see there's mention of a new "simplified process" for applications above 6kW -- starting on 17th Dec.

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Well thats a bummer, I won't be giving up the day/night meter too easily.

The mini-generators? yes it looks very interesting but doesn't mention whether its for both single & three phase or only three phase only.

Whats the situation in converting a residential connection from single to three phase? (can't find previous discussions on this cos the search feature on the new version of boards is for the birds)

If I remember correctly;

-theres an ESB networks charge to change (depending on each situation)

-theres a higher standing charge on bills

-any change to ordinary domestic appliances? or is it just changes at meter & fuse-board

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

It is like that in some EU countries already but it is not without faults. You can export to grid and use grid as a battery. When you need, you take back from grid and pay 4-5c for storage. But that works best only if you are on single tariff. The other problem is that you have to use all stored electricity until certain date, I do not think this would be a problem in here unless you have massive PV. But the main problem is the grid itself, as it can handle so much. People in remote location or estates with multiple house with PVs are capped at how much they can export as the local grid just cannot handle the load without the upgrade. Now this is in country with housing estates that have 3phases coming to each house and average PV system is 10kW. I have yet to see a house in Ireland wired with 3 phases. I think if half of the house had decided to put PVs on start exporting we would have problems. I do not think anyone has thought about PV during Celtic tiger boom and there would big investments and upgrades required to accommodate this. Could this be the reason why FIT is taking so long.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

No. They will give you a static amount based on the size of your inverter (as advised on your NC6) until you get a smart meter.

What's the advantage of keeping a day and night meter over the new smart meter?

Better rates.

smart rates would end up more expensive than standard day/night rates…

I haven’t looked in great detail, but the consensus is day/night rate is much better than any smart rates on offer.

Thats brilliant and answers some questions;

-Yes, single phase is included

-Fee ? There is an application fee of €795 plus VAT@23% (€977.85) to apply for a Mini-Generator connection.

-Is it worth it? that depends on the FIT figure

Note

Mini-generation = 6kVA to 17kVA

Micro-generation = upto 6kVA

Application fee of 977.85 ?????

Paper must be getting very expensive !!! Think I'll pass!

• Advertisement

The usual compliance thingy, lets offer it but make it punitive to engage in.

Just forget about FIT, go solar to self consume and if you want to (either financially or otherwise) go for battery setup

Advertisement