Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden Assets - RTE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

well it's a canadian co production kids just gone Vancouver with dad . next season in Canada ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

This has been better than Kin. I think RTE/AMC bigged up the wrong series. lol

One thing, what were they on about the end about the vaults? When they said the VTL meant VLT, what were they on about? What vaults? Where were they? If they knew where the vaults were in the first place couldn't they just check them all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I still don't get how they concluded that there was another terrorist on the way let alone identify him - the columbian embassy basically gave them all the records of all their inmates. Sure there could have been other staged deaths but the way they leaped from the first terrorist being a staged death in columbia to possibly/maybe another person having their death staged to -specifically- this person definitely being on the way to Belgium for bombs is over the top for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Um...they were at the vaults when they said that. Hence why he asked the staff member if there were any by those numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The safety deposit boxes, that's where all the other batches of diamonds were hidden.

It's nicely wrapped up in a bow ready for another series alright. Next CAB case will have links with Canada, and Emer will just happen to run into the Melnicks over there!

A few more credibility stretchers in that episode - by far the biggest being a foreign police officer demanding she be armed there and then, because she doesn't want to be left out of the action 🤣

Overall, 10 times better than Kin (not that that's hard), a decent watch, I'll give it about 6/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

i didn't really get it. I was half tuned out tbh. What were the vaults? Just like a storage facility for anyone? Couldn't they trace ownership of all the vaults?

I was more surprised that the vault manager just agreed to give them access - I thought the whole point of safe deposit boxes was that that were basically inviolable, and the police would have to jump through all sorts of hoops to get at them!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭8mv

It was OK but a strange anti-climax of an ending. The actress who played Bibi was very good I thought and it was a pity to waste Aaron Monaghan in such an underwhelming role. I've seen him in a couple of stage plays and he's a fantastic actor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It was OK in parts. The bit with trying to talk down the suicide bomber was well done but the bit before that with the mom and the daughter was awful.

The part where Bibi's swipe card wouldn't work at the car park was very lazy too, especially when they used the exact same trope earlier in the season.

Plot was too much of a mess too. Disappointing as it started well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It really was a let down. Seems to have suffered from the same problems KIN had, poor story, ridiculous plot, Story stretched out with lots of gap fillers that were just absurd.

Emers character just became more and more unbelievable as the episodes progressed.

I never got the praise of the Christian Character, he was almost comically inept, we were at least spared that other pointless character, the angry, racist junior Belgian detective in the last episode.

I really can't pin point one single good & consistent character performance, BIBI probably the best. The Nora and Josh (Cab) characters were just odd and generally awful with Josh being particularly annoying in the last episode, "Lads, this is an office, not a short cut 😳" WTF was that.

The Alledged reviewers yet again giving a Thumbs up, just like Kin, they don't appear to be willing to give an objective review or be critical of an Irish production.

Certainly better than Kin but that wouldn't be difficult.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

You appear pathalogically obsessed with Kin, not only on its thread but with every third post here. The producers must have wronged you somehow.

Irrespective of your opinion it was an enormous public and critical success. 623,000 viewers an episode in Ireland alone. No figures yet for the US, Canada and the Netherlands. 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and lauded in the Irish media. You're fighting a losing battle on this one.

Hidden Assets decent, room for further stuff but they need a new scriptwriter.

I'm not alone in my distain for Kin but of course you can't help yourself when it comes to my posts generally, your still on my ignore list but was curious if your still dribbling nonsense, Kin was utterly woeful, Hidden Assets generally good but it clearly lost its way towards the end and yes, I have a pathological dislike of silliness and mediocrity, it's a terrible infliction to have 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭De Bhál

fine for a Sunday night - started well and then maybe 2 episodes ago got a bit convoluted and stayed that way. By the end just felt like it fizzled out. I'd watch a second season.

Bordering-on-fanatical praise for Kin in the face of multiple opinions (and that's all any of us have at the end of the day) of the opposite. Almost unanimous, in fact.

Maybe you need to take your own advice!

Random Boardsies or respected TV critics? Hmnnn. Random Boardsies or the Irish viewing public making it the most watched series of 2021? Hmnnn part deux.

Kin - 100% on Rotten Tomatoes

Kin - 623k viewers per week.

What on earth is your obsession with defending Kin?

It's just bizarre.

I can only conclude that you're a producer, or the writer, or one of the backers, or something.

We'll have to agree to disagree (and you're disagreeing with a lot of people!)

It's a very good series with a great cast, good script and excellent cinematography. I also dislike incessant whingers, particularly when they've little to add. Thankfully the critics and public are in full agreement on this.

Btw I'm not the one who brought up the series on this thread. Dempo did eight times and yourself a couple. I'm tempted to post Let It Go again.

As are 623,000 people in this country alongside respected Irish and international critics.

Thankfully you know better dude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I liked Kin - there: I've said it!! Going back to the subject of this thread, I enjoyed Hidden Assets overall. There were a few stretches in credulity along the way, but that's okay. I was a bit disappointed that all the loose ends were not fully resolved at the end, such as the police finding out who was really behind the bonbings, etc. - we did but not the police! That possibly suggests that there might be a second series.

More than one poster referred to the actress who played Bibi. Her name is Simone Kirby. As regards previous roles in Irish tv dramas, she was in Pure Mule, Love/Hate (relatively briefly), Clean Break, Single Handed, Resistance and Rebellion. She has also turned up on some British dramas including Silent Witness, Houdini and Doyle, Dark Heart and Peaky Blinders. Simone Kirby has been in a number of feature films, her best known being Jimmy's Hall, where she had a leading role. Crime drama films that she appeared in include: England is Mine and Calm with Horses (Irish).

No accounting for bad taste I guess, remind me, how many watch the awful Late Late show🤔 doesn't make it any better than the turd it is .

Dude 🤣🤣 along with Mate, I see these descriptions across Boards when petulant people don't get their way in a discussion 🙄

Despite Morrissey becoming a famously grump racist England Is Mine not yet a crime drama. And not that great either.

Thanks or the info on Simone Kirby, probably the best actor in Hidden Assets.

You've repeatedly said that yours is a popular opinion on Kin. The general public wish to disagree.

You've repeatedly said that it's not well made. The Irish and international critics wish to disagree.

But what do all those people know, eh?

OK, you (and a load of critics and a lot of the general public, so you say, although my andecdotal evidence would beg to differ) thought it was brilliant.

We (most of us posting on boards, and most of the people I know who watched it) thought it was shite.

Can we leave it at that, and move on? Please? It's getting tiresome now.

You and Dempo are the people who brought it up. May I remind you that it's not particularly clever to state something is not publicly nor critically successful when the evidence is there to show the exact opposite. Classic denial of an antecedent.

God you're like a dog with a bone.

I expressed an opinion. It disagrees with yours.

That's all.

I'm out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭Bredabe

If I was Emer and Christian shot my suspect in the head just as I was walking him to giving me the info I needed.

I would be soooo angry I would need sedation AND he would have gotten a cutting comment(in the least) when he was fishing to see if I fancied him.

Shoot my suspect, you shoot your possibilities of a shag to the end of time or when hell freezes over at least!!!!

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Not a bad guess with two episodes to go. I wish it was down to brainpower but I think it’s more about lazy plotting on their behalf and obvious pointers. The Colombian stuff also made no sense, there are enough desperate individuals in Europe who’d sacrifice themselves to take care of their families without the need to import them from a South American prison and all the trouble that entails.

I’d also guess a second season is coming, but no more unless they switch to an entirely different plot.

• Advertisement

I don't get the point to compare this to Kin, two different shows, showing differing points of view.

Kin was more about family, and it was grand for what it was. This show was more of a police show, as such it wasn't bad either. Nora character was ridiculous, but apart from that, it wasnt bad at all.

Advertisement