Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

Comments

What are you even talking about now? 😄

All I'll say is you're not convincing anyone of anything. Nobody cares if you get jabbed. Likewise you shouldn't worry about other people.

Have a good day anyway, Donald. We miss you in the White House 😄

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was waiting for your obsession with "scroungers" and dole heads. On a thread about a virus. Never change. 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Man up and stand up for your children. There is no data available as to what the long term effects of the vaccine are, with regards to children.

This gets thrown around a lot, and its usually a copy & paste job given its an over riding theme of the anti science brigade. Which is fair enough, it seems like a viable argument. Its also used as part of the "Ive done my research" spiel too.

Only its not.

Anyone in the know with vaccines or anyone who has done research will point out 2 things:

• In the history of vaccines, the overwhelming majority of side effects are known within the first 2 months.
    • The reason why other vaccines take years to develop is because you need a suitable size of trial patients to test a vaccine on. The pandemic left us with no shortage of covid volunteers, and in fact the covid vaccines have the largest trial sample in the history of any vaccine. The chances of a side effect not being picked up by the 44,000 people who were part of the Pfizer trial is rare. And that's just the Pfizer trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Except I didn't mention "dole" in that one Wibbs.

Scoungers gonna scrounge. They'll sit back and let everyone else do their bit while the scrounger sits up on their backs. Regardless of the issue at hand.

It's up to yourself how you feel. If you love lockdowns and severe restrictions then you're going to be actively against vaccinations and masks. That's subjective to each person.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Scoungers gonna scrounge. They'll sit back and let everyone else do their bit while the scrounger sits up on their backs. Regardless of the issue at hand.

OK you're positively obsessed with "scroungers".

It's up to yourself how you feel. If you love lockdowns and severe restrictions then you're going to be actively against vaccinations and masks. That's subjective to each person.

I've been 100% behind masks from the get go, even when the government were feeding us contradictory ballsology on them. We needed the first lockdowns to keep spread to a minimum and it worked. These days I'm much more on the side of vaccinate the vulnerable(after 94% of the adult population has been already vaccinated), cocoon those who can't be vaccinated and open up society again. I 100% welcome the vaccines too, though of late feel we're getting too focused on antibody levels and keeping them constantly high with what will likely be a continuous booster programme going on current vaccines anyway. Rather than look at and rely more upon immune memory in the non vulnerable population, unless a variant shows up which actually evades that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I meant "you" in the general sense - not "you, Wibbs". I was unclear in my post, although I did qualify the last sentence with "each person" rather than "you".

The loss of the "Ye" in english was a loss indeed. 😁

Well "ye" would still encompass "you".

I could have used "one", but would have ran the risk of appearing pretentious given the medium of boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Well, the end of that post certainly took an unexpected turn! 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Without stating the total number of cases the figure 212 is meaningless, 212 out of 10000 is 2% out of 100K is 0.2% we need the full picture. Also if covid was such a risk to kids you'd think they would have done more to stop its spread in schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,077 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I was not commenting on the overall number. Rather I was point out to the missconnception that only children with underlying conditions were being hospitalised. When you disallow the not reported figures 85 % of children hospitalised have no underlying condition.

Slava Ukrainii

They should have, but they didn't, because that would involve either a) actually properly funding schools to put in air filters and monitors (I've seen estimates of €70 to €90 million for that); and b) funding an active and working contact tracing system, so that parents/teachers/SNAs of close contacts could be properly informed. And then there's the unspoken implication of the necessity of closing classrooms and/or full schools where there's a big outbreak, but IBEC and ISME wouldn't be up for that because then parents would need to WFH/help teach their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

While your two points are true:

• "The history of vaccines" is somewhat irrelevant here, since mRNA vaccines are delivering the genetic material required to cause your body's cells to produce and express a modified version of one spike protein (antigen). Every other vaccine has directly induced the antigen into the injection site.
    • While it's true that no development steps were "skipped", they were run concurrently, meaning that the time from phase 1 trials to broad deployment was very contracted compared to a "normal" vaccine development. The only remedy for this is the passage of time.
    • Of the vaccine-hesitant people I've spoken to who are not "Bill Gates is trying to chip me" types or crunchy earth mother types, (and in my own case) the hesitation comes from concerns around the potential for lipid nanoparticles (the particles used to encapsulate the delicate mRNA and move it across the cell membrane before it can be destroyed) to cause long-term autoimmune issues, particularly with repeated doses. This is what scuppered Moderna's pre-vaccine efforts in mRNA therapeutics, for example. The risk is probably minimal given the length of time between doses, but the data on tissue tropism is not complete and it's not yet possible to say whether any long-term effects will result and if so, how common they might be.

When that is the concern and you're stacking up an unknown long-term risk for a healthy child who has 80 years left to live and has effectively zero risk of long-term effects from Covid, "Every other vaccine was fine!" is not a good argument, and nor is an appeal to possibly maybe for a little while reduce the risk to the elderly and infirm.

I'm sure that mRNA technology is the future in terms of vaccination, and likely to revolutionise broader medicine in ways as-yet unimaginable. But as of this moment, I am not prepared to allow it to be used on my children.

Give me a more traditional vaccine sans LNPs and I'll skip off the the clinic and pull their sleeves up happily, just as I have for every other vaccine they've been offered.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,156 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

When that is the concern and you're stacking up an unknown long-term risk for a healthy child who has 80 years left to live and has effectively zero risk of long-term effects from Covid

Where is the evidence for "effectively zero risk of long-term effects from Covid"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I think it’s worth pointing out that there were only approx 1600 children given the actual shot in the Pfizer trial - the others were given a placebo. This information is all out there.

Also worth noting that Pfizer are refusing to release their vaccine data submission, which was requested in a freedom of information request to the FDA - for initially 55 years and are now requesting 75 years off the courts. Nothing says trust the science like hiding data from the public until we’re all dead and buried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

CS I don’t know if you seen this, Pfizer did release some data last week regarding adverse events up to Feb 2021.

https://phmpt.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/5.3.6-postmarketing-experience.pdf

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

I mean, sure, it is possible that Covid will cause some sort of long-term and long-lasting health issues in healthy children who get it, but there's no evidence of it right now and I would put the chances of it at much lower than the (also unknown) long term risk of repeated doses of never-before-used LNPs. Especially when factoring in the waning efficacy of vaccines and the necessity to repeat the dose an as-yet-unknown number of times, the known prior issues with LNPs, and the fact that there are very few viral diseases that cause long-term issues that arise later, none of which are coronaviruses.

I also don't see why a vaccinated-then-infected child would be less likely to get these long-term, long-lasting, as-yet-unseen issues over an unvaccinated-then-infected child, given the rarity of severe disease in children. It would depend on the mechanism by which the long-term issues came about.

I'm not saying I'm right, or that I think it's probable that LNPs will cause long-term issues. I'm saying that for me, right now, the balance of the unknowns and knowns is stacking up on the side of holding off.

Other people's mileage will obviously differ, and they should make their own decisions about vaccinating their children. Nobody knows what will happen in the long-term for sure, and I'm definitely not going to judge anyone who decides that they think their best option is to get their children vaccinated just because I happen to have an "idiosyncrasy", as Wibbs put it earlier.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Your concern is based upon 1 study, that isn't peer reviewed, that also has a major conflict of interest where dissuaded interest in vaccines is in their organisation's benefit. It also worth noting that its quite normal for vaccines to affect immune responses in unknown pathogens. When you drill in to their date, you'll find their hypothesis is questionable based on their numbers anyway.

Also there are parallels with the BCG vaccine, which also reprograms the immune system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,934 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Why do you keep posting about the FDA data? The data is being released, there is just mountains of it (a good thing) which takes time to prepare but it is being released all the time (and the estimate was based on document count and number of people assigned to work on it, so it won't actually take 55 years), you can ask for similar from the EMA.

The plaintiffs' request covers some 329,000 pages, which must first be processed and redacted before the FDA can hand them over, Department of Justice (DOJ) lawyers representing the regulator stated in court documents. 

The group asked the FDA to satisfy their request by no later than March 3, 2022, giving the agency the same 108 days "from when Pfizer started producing the records for licensure on May 07, 2021, to when the product was licensed on August 23, 2021."

To meet that deadline, the FDA would need to process some 80,000 pages a month. That simply isn't feasible, the DOJ lawyers argued. 

Are you saying that something untoward has happened within the FDA to cause this? If so, what is it, without going the innuendo route.

I think it’s worth pointing out that there were only approx 1600 children given the actual shot in the Pfizer trial - the others were given a placebo. This information is all out there.

Was the trial ran incorrectly? What is a normal medical safety trial size for adolescents where the medicine has already been pre-approved for adults?

but there's no evidence of it right now and I would put the chances of it at much lower than the (also unknown) long term risk of repeated doses of never-before-used LNPs.

Based on what, exactly? Medical qualifications? Or just a random punt?

the fact that there are very few viral diseases that cause long-term issues that arise later, none of which are coronaviruses.

The various Long-COVID clinics are, presumably, just money-making rackets? And the Long-COVID facebook groups are just full of hypochondriacs?

Admittedly I've not heard of many cases of kids being unwell, long-term, post-COVID, but they certainly do exist.

• Advertisement

But given that we're essentially hand-waving at two sets of unknowns, isn't it worth considering what the knowns are?

The knowns are that in the short term, being vaccinated has a lower incidence of severe side-effects in pre-adolescent children than getting infected and recovering (MIS-C).

I don't see the grounds for your belief that the reverse is more likely in the long term.

Imagine trying to justify a pharmaceutical company hiding their data for 75 years, and defend them on here day in day out, all the while some countries are attempting to mandate this product.

It doesn’t take 75 years to release data, no amount of nonsense you post can explain that one away. You’re actually stating that it’s ok that it would take more than a lifetime to release the data that only took weeks to submit to the FDA and EMA and for the FDA and EMA to go through to authorise their product.

1600 is far too small for the trial for children, they’re also incorporating data in from other age groups despite a different dosage & ingredient in the children’s vaccine. It states this clearly in the submission data.

How many boosters do you think would be safe for the population? Where are the double blinded trials to show it’s safe to keep getting mRNA injections?

Do you think teenagers and children should be boosted also?

Explain why, I've quoted the number of pages and the reasons the FDA is releasing the data how it is, should they spend all their budget on releasing documents? And again, outline why you think this is happening, what are they hiding? There is a separate submission to the EMA, have you asked them for the data yet?

The FDA is not a pharmaceutical company.

What is the correct size for the trial? I presume you have precedence for trials for other medicines to fall back on here.

If the EMA determines that boosters for teenagers and children should be approved, would you disagree with them? On what scientific grounds would you do so?

You have an opportunity here to present your data and back it up, it does not need hyperbolae, let evidence do the talking.

We know that the risk/benefit of the SARS-COV2 vaccine is greater than the MenB vaccine that posters on here went out of their way to get for their children, should we give the MenB vaccine to children or not?

I know you don't, and I knew you wouldn't. I was answering your question, not seeking your approval. I've explained my position, you disagree with me. Neither of us have definitive answers and we both grant different weight to unknowns. I'm comfortable with that and you will learn to be.

Have a good evening.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭hometruths

Anyone in the know with vaccines or anyone who has done research will point out 2 things:

I think it is safe to assume NIAC are in the know with vaccines and interestingly they feel the need to point out the caveat:

More than four million first doses and approximately 450,000 second doses have been given to children in this age group in the US. 35 No immediate safety issues have been notified but follow up time has been short

What has NIAC's advice been again for kids and the vaccine?

Recommendations

COVID-19 vaccination is strongly recommended for those aged 5 to 11 years:

• with underlying conditions
    • living with a younger child with complex medical needs
    • living with a person who is immunocompromised
    • This group should be offered vaccination with the same priority as booster doses for those aged 16 to 49 years with an underlying condition.
    • COVID-19 vaccination should be offered to all other children aged 5 to 11 years because of the favourable benefit risk profile of the vaccine, to protect them from severe disease, the consequences that can follow infection e.g., multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS- C), long COVID, psychosocial and developmental impacts.
    • As this is a primary vaccination course, this group should be offered vaccination with the same priority as booster doses for those under 40 years of age.
    • For children aged 5 to 11 years, the recommended COVID-19 vaccine is Comirnaty. The dose and schedule of Comirnaty for this age group is 10 micrograms, two doses three weeks apart.
    • Children aged 5 to 11 years who are severely immunocompromised should be given a third dose of Comirnaty at least 28 days after the second dose to complete the primary series.
    • Before vaccination, parents or guardians should be informed of the known benefits, risks and uncertainties of COVID-19 vaccination.
    • The decision to accept, defer or refuse vaccination for a child should be respected.
    • Every effort should be made to avoid any adverse impact from the COVID-19 vaccination programme for children aged 5 to 11 years on the routine primary childhood and school immunisation programmes.

Pretty straightforward. They strongly recommend the immunocompromised kids and those kids close to immunocompromised should be vaccinated.

And they recommend all other kids should be offered it. They do not state a position on whether that offer should be accepted or not.

But rather they stress parents should make up their own minds, and point out that study size is too small to measure rare side effects like myocarditis, and that follow up times to identify safety issues has been short.

As a parent of a 5 year old who has read NIACs recommendations, it's not a difficult decision. My kid won't be getting the vaccine.

Apart from the condescension, I'm fine with that. 😀

• Advertisement

So instead of answering as to why it only took a few weeks for the FDA and EMA to review all the data and grant approval - yet they’re claiming it’s going to take 75 YEARS to release this same data, you dug the hole further and entrenched yourself in your and their position. You should apply for a job as Pfizer / Moderna PR rep.

Then the classic throw 40 pointless questions to try and derail the facts as they stand.

The simple fact of the matter is mRNA vaccines long term data is unknown because we haven’t had the time to study it. Dispatches on Channel 4 Friday, you’d also have serious concerns as to the accuracy of the data from the Pfizer trial. How do we know there isn’t the same type of corner cutting in other company’s trials? You’re basing all your posts on these trial results, that is in the company’s interest to make look very good, it’s like RTÉ over the weekend using a Pfizer press release as good news about booster data. That’s not factual - it’s a PR release of a company advertising its product.

You’ve been selective in what you’ve quoted, neglecting this bit;

“COVID-19 vaccination should be offered to all other children aged 5 to 11 years because of the favourable benefit risk profile of the vaccine, to protect them from severe disease, the consequences that can follow infection”

And you’re ignoring it

I'd actually argue that the most important bit is

Every effort should be made to avoid any adverse impact from the COVID-19 vaccination programme for children aged 5 to 11 years on the routine primary childhood and school immunisation programmes.

Translation: don't force it!

I'm not ignoring it at all. Far from it. I looked specifically at: the favourable benefit risk profile of the vaccine, to protect them from severe disease, the consequences that can follow infection

I read the numbers on the risk of severe disease:

Pooled data from 10 EU/EEA countries shows that between 5 July to 3 October 2021, the weekly notification rates of symptomatic COVID-19 disease in children aged 5 - 11 years increased eleven-fold from 5.9 to 65 per 100,000 population. The weekly rate of hospitalised cases in children aged 5 - 11 years increased nine-fold, from 0.025 to 0.24 per 100 000 population and there were two deaths.

And then I looked at the numbers on the risks of side effects. On myocarditis, they didn't have data because the study size was too small. But they do mention the numbers from older age groups:

The EMA has evaluated the occurrence of vaccine associated myocarditis as very rare i.e., up to 10 in 100,000 vaccinated people may be affected. The risk is highest in younger males. 37 Studies have shown that after the second dose of Comirnaty there were about 2.6 extra cases of myocarditis per 100,000 males aged 12 - 29 years after seven days and 5.7 extra cases of myocarditis per 100,000 males aged 16 - 24 years after 28 days.

And I quickly realised that if the chances of myocarditis from vaccination were likely to be higher than the chances of hospitalisation maybe the risk/benefit was not so favourable after all.

And the consequences that could follow infection? Well they say that most significantly that is the risk of Long Covid and MIS-C.

NIAC state that Long Covid figures are:

UK data estimates the prevalence for those aged 2 - 11 years to be 0.2%.

And MIS-C? NIAC says

A large international cohort study on children with COVID-19 estimated MIS-C to affect between 0.5%-3.1% of all diagnosed paediatric COVID-19 patients and between 0.9%-7.6% of hospitalised paediatric COVID-19 patients.

And just in case any parent is spooked by these numbers, NIAC are quick to stress:

Information is not yet available about potential long-term sequelae. It is not known if vaccination will have an impact on long COVID or prevent MIS-C

I am not ignoring anything. I read the whole report.

And I quickly realised that if the chances of myocarditis from vaccination were likely to be higher than the chances of hospitalisation maybe the risk/benefit was not so favourable after all

You're comparing different age groups. As I understand it myocarditis is not an issue for under 12s, and COVID risk is higher for over 12s.

In matched age groups known vaccine risk is lower than known Covid risk.

This is what favourable benefit risk profile of the vaccine means.

The reason I am comparing different age groups is that is the only data NIAC present in their report. As they say themselves:

The number of subjects in the trials does not allow detection of rare or very rare adverse events such as myocarditis and follow-up is ongoing

And they also say specifically re age groups on myocarditis that:

Data are very limited on those 5 - 11 years of age, however based on preliminary data from US and Israel, the incidence of myocarditis in those aged 12 - 15 years may be less than in those 16 - 24 years. There were no cases of myocarditis or pericarditis observed in the clinical trial but the study size was too small to detect this rare event. 

They don't even come close to saying "myocarditis is not an issue for under 12s", as you understand it.

They are saying they do not know re this age group. So an informed decision can only be based on what they do know.

• Advertisement

And I quickly realised that if the chances of myocarditis from vaccination were likely to be higher than the chances of hospitalisation maybe the risk/benefit was not so favourable after all.

/facepalm

* Myocarditis risks from Covid-19 vaccines are still less than the risks from Covid-19 (Source: https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/comment/myocarditis-risks-covid-19-vaccines/ 1st December 2021)

* Myocarditis (or pericarditis or myopericarditis) from primary COVID19 infection occurred at a rate as high as 450 per million in young males. Young males infected with the virus are up 6 times more likely to develop myocarditis as those who have received the vaccine. (Source: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.07.23.21260998v1 27 July 2021 - NB: paper not yet peer reviewed at time of publication)

* Covid-19: Study that claimed boys are at increased risk of myocarditis after vaccination is deeply flawed, say critics (Source: https://www.bmj.com/content/374/bmj.n2251 14 September 2021)

So your sources all report different incidences. Which is correct?

And none of them mention anything about 5-12 year olds.

/facepalm indeed.

Post edited by hometruths on

Did you actually read the article about why it's going to take so long, I'll let you explain why as you've got it completely ars*ways, as usual.

And there has been no indication the EMA will take that long (again, read the articles you're posting).

But lets go further.

Why do you think it will take the FDA 75 years? What does it mean? Elaborate on what you believe is happening there rather than trying to rely on innuendo with articles that you don't seem to have read fully yourself beyond a headline.

4 million kids and counting now vaccinated with at least one dose in the US.

I can see why you were deleted when talking about the FDA as you're just flinging muck everywhere hoping it will stick and getting more and more desperate.

I think you're mixing up the virus risk with the vaccine risk, but I'm not quite sure of it.

Do you honestly accept any reason why it would take an organisation 75 years to release data? The same data they used to grant authorisation in a matter of weeks. There is no excuse good enough like budgets, staffing, etc. These products are being mandated in Democratic run states in the US, including New York and Philadelphia which are excluding unvaccinated 5 year olds from indoor events. They’ve vaccine certs en masse & tried to implement no jab no job policies. They are implementing mandatory vaccine policies in Austria, Germany and vaccine certs in other states like Ireland.

The public should at the very least if they’re suffering these draconian policies -have this full information on a product that is quite frankly being shoved down people’s throats.

I’m not going to engage in insults and mud slinging as you state while doing it continuously as I’m not desperate like you appear to be becoming in this debate.

• Advertisement

Initially yes I did, but they do all report different incidences of vaccine risk. Two of them are just news reports criticizing another study. And none of them are relevant to 5-12 year olds.

Just rereading this I wondered did you mean as you understand it, myocarditis is not an issue in under 12s full stop, irrespective of vaccine or infection risk?

I don't believe there is any confirmed cases yet, they speculated it might be 1/50k for mild myocarditis during the trials/approval. The dose is also less for this age group which may be part of the reduced risk.

It is ridiculous but it was a simple maths equation, 330k documents at 500 a week to get prepared and ready. Do you propose giving the FDA more funding, or to prioritise this FOI request over other requests to do it faster?

But again, if it is the case, what is the issue? What are you proposing that they're hiding?

I'm sorry, but I do imagine a foot stomping happening at this bit:

There is no excuse good enough like budgets, staffing, etc.

How long would your company take to prepare 330k documents?

Seriously?

Yes, they're different studies and so have some variance in numbers. And they all agree that there is an increased risk of myocarditis from COVID compared to the risk from just the vaccine.

But you're insisting that no, you're right, all of those scientists are wrong, and there's more chance of myocarditis from the vaccine...

Absolutely, those studies were not carried out on 5-12 year-olds, but the obvious inference is that the fact of a higher chance of myocarditis from COVID compared to the risk from just the vaccine will also prove to be true for younger cohorts. Especially as they will be receiving a smaller dose of the vaccine, but those unlucky enough to be getting COVID will be getting the same dose of COVID as anyone else.

Yes, that's my understanding (actually 5-11, as I haven't looked much at vaccine or COVID risks for under 5s).

Have I missed something?

I don't know, but it does sound plausible that it might only be a danger from any source once an individual reaches a certain age. But I would think if it was true NIAC would know and would say so - i.e "5-12 year olds are not at risk from vaccine induced myocarditis, because they are too young to be at risk of myocarditis full stop"

Yes, seriously. In this age group, as you say yourself it's merely an inference.

You're wittering on about me not trusting scientists, but the point is I am trusting NIAC. They say they do not know the risk of myocarditis in this age group and they do know the risk of severe disease.

So the question is can you accept the risk of severe disease or would you rather take the unknown risk?

Given the risk of severe disease is currently less than 0.05%, and my kids face a higher risk of dying in a car crash every time they leave the house, then it is not a difficult decision.

NIAC say w.r.t vaccination and myocarditis

Data are very limited on those 5 to 11 years of age. However based on preliminary data from US and Israel, the incidence of myocarditis in those aged 12 – 15 years may be less than in those 16 - 24 years. There were no cases of myocarditis or pericarditis observed in the clinical trial but the study size was too small to detect this rare event.

My understanding/speculation is that carditis is an inflammatory response that occurs roughly proportionately in any given age group with both vaccination and infection, with risk higher from infection, and so if we were going to see vaccination carditis in under 12s we would have already seen it with COVID in that age group, and we haven't.

If NIAC stated more strongly that carditis was a non issue in under 12s, would you find that persuasive?

edit: refreshing my memory, it looks like in younger kids carditis may be an aspect of MIS-C (hence the M, I guess), and MIS-C is a known (but rare) effect from infection but AFAIK not (yet) from vaccination. Not sure if that helps the conversation.

Post edited by Lumen on

One of the links that TaurenDruid posted suggested it is not proportionate in all groups with both vaccination and infection. According to that, whilst the risk from infection is indeed higher, 16-29 year olds have a disproportionately higher risk from vaccination than other age groups.

If NiAC stated that in their opinion it was a non issue for 5-12 year olds, then yes it would obviously change the risk/benefit view in that it would remove one of the risk factors

But that's not the same as being a persuasive risk/benefit argument for the vaccine in this age group.

The risks still remain largely unknown, (and there may be zero risk, but we do not know), and the benefits still remain very limited.

• Advertisement
Advertisement