Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 Round 22 Abu Dhabi GP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

...which is it makes sense for Hamilton avoid him like the plague...

It's a habit that could be exploited with a more competitive and aggressive team mate, with nothing to lose and everything to prove.

...None of the drivers on the podium could keep on the track doing them...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ah ok. That makes sense. I wonder was that done to prevent donuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Schumacher and Vettel did donuts alright but it wasn't shown on tv. I think one of the Alpines did a few too.

I was referring to the drivers recent habit of going off track...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Mick did a couple, kinda messed them up though 😂

I love his engineer. They both got a good laugh out of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The Red Bull fellah Wheatley is in Masi's ear numerous times every race and we even heard Horner doing so yesterday, which is unprecedented for him I believe. Horner also made a snide remark referencing Charlie Whiting which was intended to undermine Masi. Wolff's comments on the radio were mild enough and certainly could not be considered abusive or intimidatory. If Lewis had won the title in similar circumstances yesterday we know Red Bull would be hiring lawyers and lodging appeals right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Mearly asking question, Wheatley wanted to understand why Hamilton didn't have to give the place back and when he got his answer he was done. Horner wanted to know when then back markers would be clear, he got his answer and he was done. Toto was dictating when a safety car should be used or when a red flag shouldn't be used and then piss and moaned all the way from the back markers being cleared until turn 14. Also tried to dictate when a race should end. Not to mention saying "f*** them" to the FIA and all the stewards after being caught with their dodgy wing. I didn't see RB marching into the stewards with barristers.

Huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Look, I get that people will always be partisan, it’s only human nature. I’ve been torn on Max and Lewis, I’ve been such a huge fan of Max for years but how can one not appreciate Lewis, he is one of the all time greats, that is just a fact.

I think we can all agree that the rules need a bit more clarity and my personal opinion, I believe, deciding a world championship with that type of decision is not good enough for a season like that, I’ve been watching F1 for over 30 years, this one just doesn’t sit right, Lewis will be fine, he has done more than enough to show his greatness, the lack of conviction from F1 on these issues puts a taint on Maxs first championship

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The world championship is not tainted. If Lewis had won, would it be tainted after say Imola and Silverstone?

The same Toto who

demanded no safety car when Gio went off because that would bunch the field up and give an advantage to Max

who wanted the race distance shortened to suit his guy

who went to the stewards in Russia last year because his guy can't be bothered reading the race directors notes and got penalised for having practice starts outside of the designated space on safety grounds but then accused the FIA of trying to stop him

Who emails the RD at silverstone to justify Max being put in the wall by Hamilton

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Have Masi or anyone in the decision making give a reason why they gave 2 cars an advantage over all other cars?

Max and the last car to unlap itself. Reason Max got 2 cars between him and person behind and 5 cars infront of him got removed to attack Hamilton.

Last unlap car meant he couldn't get attacked and lose a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I wonder if the vitriol would be as strong if the 2 contenders were more likeable. Say what you will about both, but neither come off as particularly likeable individuals. That's possibly why they're the top 2 drivers (compare seb now who seems a right sounder to seb when he was winning), but it does make it harder for the Lewis fanboys to recongise Max's achievements and for Max fanboys to acknowledge that Lewis was hard done by at the end.

Like if this was Danny Ric versus Carlos Sainz would people be fighting over this as hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Fair enough, one could go back to every single race of the year but the reality is the last race is what decided it, and in my opinion, just an opinion, that’s not how the world championship should be decided because that’s the end, no one has the ability to come back at the next race, game over, ball burst ! It is what it is but no team or diver would be happy losing like that, that should speak for itself, F1 needs to learn from this, it’s not good for the sport, anyone hung ho on either side is delusional, it’s a messed up situation.

How is Lewis hard done by?

Lewis gained a free lap and probably 10 points minimum more then he would have after he binned it at Imola because of a red flag.

Hamilton gained plenty more then Max did over the season from red flags or SC from what I can remember. So if the SC scenario on Sunday is to be considered, if the rules on red flag were different regarding changing damaged parts (start in pit lane for example and don't unlap yourself) then Max only needs 3rd place on Sunday.

Lewis had plenty of good fortune earlier in the season, this is only an issue because the luck fell Max's way with 6 laps of the season left.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Much to my suprise, Max is the F1 world champion. Like it or not, this fact will not change. Move on and accept it, life is too short. Lewis can try again next year, although I think that Russle will put manners on him.

Speaking as a Max fan that has never supported Hamilton, I would like to acknowledge Hamilton's sporting behaviour. Fair play to Lewis, I now have so much more respect for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭McFly85

I can’t take anyone seriously who thinks a title is tainted or has an asterisk beside it because of one incident, and mainly because that one incident is the most recent one.

Both Max and Lewis had to race the wheels off each car for the whole year to even be in a position to win it, so to boil it down to one decision you don’t agree with just because it’s recent does an incredible disservice to the drivers imo.

And the incident itself is being treated as if Mercedes literally had a title snatched away from them by the race director. Mercedes chose track position and distance on old tires for the whole race. That was their call. A late safety car without the distance to pit and maintain track position was always a possibility and they gambled on it not happening. Had they been a bit braver during the race and gave up track position during the VSC the car had the pace and Lewis the talent to get back into first by racing, and they would have been covered off from any danger with a late safety car.

Max and Lewis are different class, and as much as I think Max deserved this season, had Lewis won I wouldn’t be begrudging him his title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Sound post, McFly

A question: had Lewis pitted lap 38 VSC, do people think those fresher tyres would have given him a much better chance over the final 3.5 miles or so?

It definitely would have. But I can understand why they didn’t. They were in a position where they had 2 choices:

Pit, lose track position and have to race Max to get it back(knowing that max can afford contact)

Stay out and keep RB at arms length on old tires.

They made the most sensible choice, and were incredibly unlucky that it backfired on them.

Yes. I agree. They had to make a choice, and it was just unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Been watching F1 since the 80's, and this season has been unreal. It has had everything. I wanted a GP every weekend.

Over the course of the season I think Max has deserved the Championship, he's really delivered this season, his qualifying, esp the last 2 races was phenomenal. IMHO I think he's more of a racer, look how he goes for any opening & then defends it while in the lead. I was disappointed with Hamilton, ie. the duel with Perez (on worn tyres) and then not defending well enough against Max on the last lap.

In terms of luck, just look back at Azerbaijan where Max was comfortably leading with a few laps to go & his rear tyre blows up, but then with the race at his mercy Hamilton makes an error & this ultimately cost him the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,748 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

A late safety car.... with the RD deciding only to unlap the cars in the way of Max, and bring the safety car in a lap earlier than would have been done on any other occassion.

The issue isn't that Max benefited from a lucky safety car (from his perspective), it is that the RD decided to make up processes and ignore precident and rules to give max every advantage and a chance he should not have had, safety car or not.

Merc chose track position cause there was not time to get back to racing. The RD throwing process and rules out the window is what changed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Not correct, you are making out that Masi did it for Verstappen.

He did it because all teams agreed to finish under green flags where possible, he had the powers to meet that agreement and he used them.

Fair play Masi.

I agree with you that the RD made a bad call(in fact for the last few races since it looked like a late showdown could occur it has felt like decisions had been made to ensure that’s what happens) but where we disagree is the extent that removing the back markers had on the result.

In my mind, if he wanted to finish by racing, he should have continued the race without any cars unlapping themselves and gotten the race started as quickly as possible. But then, most likely we would have had 2 laps instead of one and those back markers would be out of Max’ way coming into the final lap anyway. And we know that the safety car came in a lap early but that’s at the discretion of the RD if he deems it safe.

I said in my previous post that Mercedes made the sensible call staying out but now I’m going to disagree with myself. Lewis definitely should have pitted under the VSC. He’d have enough laps to overtake Max at that point, and if there’s a late safety car either he’s in first with fresher tires and in a better position to defend or he’s in second and he can basically do what Max did, take the free pit stop and win it at the end.

The fact that they kept him out makes me think that ultimately they were looking to avoid being close to Verstappen at any stage for fear of contact. And it backfired on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

That's one think I can't understand from the "he's not the real champ" & "the title is tainted" crowd.

If this title is tainted because of the safety car then vise versa a Hamilton title won through massive points gains won through sheer luck would be equally as tainted. (perfectly timed red flag in Imola, or Bottas playing bowling in Hungary are the incidents I keep thinking of)

Also, if the results of this race shouldn't count because of Masi speeding up the SC process to go green then the results of Singapore 08 shouldn't count either as the "face fixing" on that occasion was actually proven and completely turned the championship around... which would strip Hamilton of a title and give it back to the rightful winner Massa.

A lot of double standards going on in comments sections at the moment.

• Advertisement

Well now we have a new precedent that we can see some racing in such situations which generates exciting finishes.

If we only ever follow "precedents" life would be fairly boring. I've seen tweets from people who switched off with about 15 laps to go because it was fairly pedestrian but turned it back on when they got the sky sports alert on their phone about the SC. Sport is at its best when it is unpredictable.

Masi is the race director and we got racing. If you want to watch a procession then go sit on a bridge over the M50 for a few hours.

Oh and I think Merc got their commupence for Toto trying to persuade the RD over the Gio incident. Toto would rather risk a Marshalls life for a greater chance at a race win then win it racing.

Advertisement