Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smart meter installation

Options
  • 08-12-2021 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 9 long-term67

got my letter from esb last week about the upgrade, but i had my meter upgraded around 2010 because there was an issue with the old one, but the cables were a little short for the new meter so they are extended will this be an issue for esb with the install?

Comments

Why did you decide to get a smart meter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 long-term67

I wasn't being funny...just wondering if your tariff is going to go up the minute you get a smart meter...I think the day and night meter is cheaper rates ?? It does look nice but also wonder about privacy issues

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Tariffs are not in anyway affected by the installation of a smart meter, Customers are under no obligation to change to smart tariffs. This said some might suit users who use a lot of electricity, I'm a low user and without exception all smart tariffs offered by EI are extraordinarily expensive if a low usage customer.

Re OP question, installers should be able to install and work with what's there, it's really just replacing what you have.

There's various conspiracy theory threads dealing with privacy concerns, personally I don't get any of them. If a consumer is concerned that a utility supplier is facilitating more accurate meter reading and billing or facilitating (in time) smart features so be it, but that's something I can't explain or answer.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I'm editing this comment because the saleswoman gave me wrong info...you can use a day and night meter to export to the grid ..you don't have to get a smart meter......I'm in the process of getting solar PV soon and if I want to export surplus electricity to the grid they are saying I'll have to install a smart meter..I have just got installed a day and night meter and will be getting around 9c a kw and don't want to lose that..on the smart meter is there a day and night facility on it or is it all the one tariff?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

I was not aware you needed a smart meter to export surplus. I can't be sure if there's a specific day night facility/ tariff as such but there are night time lower rates etc. Not sure what supplier your with but EI list their 3 smart tariffs.

I suppose your situation a little more complex re exporting surplus energy and may need direct advice from supplier.

Would love to have the Solar myself albeit given I use so little it's hard for me to justify the expense but fair play to you, particularly if you can export and earn from it 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't know of anything I've lost with the install of the smart meter. Just I suppose the lack of the oul lad appearing randomly and regularly in my driveway with a grunt of a hello whilst he walked past me out the back garden.

He was a regular unsmart meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The smart meter can do any kind of tariff including day & night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 long-term67

neither was and i didn't take any offence or mean any offence with my response but since we have got a new meter reader 3 yrs ago we have had numerous problems with getting correct/accurate meter reading and as im getting pv panels in a few months im really interested in getting all the necessary upgrades done before they go in, and as others have said you not under any obligation to change tarrifs when you get the new meter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

You have lost contact with another human being... it seems you don't like the species... perception and reality... the guy who reads my meter is a great guy... part time farmer and plays in band in pubs at weekend... good band as these bands go...

what does your guy do in real life...

• Advertisement

I must have had the same personality devoid meter reader 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 34,013 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hes an unadulterated grump. I've tried talking to him many occasions. You know there's actually people out there who simply are grumpy. And they're happy in their grumpiness. He's one.

• god forbid if I won’t get to see a random guy walk into my drive way once a month 😂

I can relate, grumpiness was one thing but then entering my house uninvited when I was in the garden was a step to far and was dealt with by way of a Bolloxing (I'm a dub living in rural Ireland 20 years, my best Dublin slang and expletives were dispatched with Gusto), oddly enough the Meter reader's demeanour changed positively for the last year he called 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Scag Mattress

Yes you can get day/night rate but still cheaper rates on the normal D/N meter.

that is fact

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Smart meter was put in. A good few houses on the street had their meters changed in the few days before. I did not want it at all. I told esb networks I did not want it but was told I had no choice. The engineer arrived 3 times without warning.

Guess what… usage has gone up. I know unit rates have gone up across the board but my standing charge has increased as well. Not happy at all. I would like my old meter back!

Can I ask them to replace back to standard meter?

By the way the idea of free electric on one day at the weekend does not appeal to me. I don’t use a clothes dryer and do not use the washing machine every day.

Do not know how ESB Networks picks the houses to change. Paying €130 bimonthly before. Now up by €30. More than likely they will expect us to pay monthly on new price plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@tvjunki wrote

Guess what… usage has gone up. I know unit rates have gone up across the board but my standing charge has increased as well. Not happy at all. I would like my old meter back!

Can I ask them to replace back to standard meter?

If costs have gone up, query that with your provider, it's nothing to do with ESB networks or the new meter.

You can ask them to put the old meter back but they can and will refuse. The meter is the property of ESB networks and they are free to alter or replace it as they see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Which provider are you with and what has your standard charge gone from / to? What has your unit rate changed from / to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

when you change your provider after getting a smart meter you will only have a choice of smart tariffs. All of which are far more expansive than ordinary day night tariffs.

Refuse the smart meter.

That's not true.

I got one early 2020, was with energia, remained on the 24 hour tariff. I switched to BG in October 2020, chose to be on the 24 hour tariff. I switched to SSE October 2021 was on the 24 hour tariff, i then chose to enabled the smart services as it will save me money based on my usage.

Oops 2020

Post edited by eeepaulo on

• Advertisement

What plan are you one and how much per unit are you paying?

Im with sse 30% smart tariff, after i had the smart meter installed i remained on the energia 24 hour tariff then i switched to bord gais 24 hour tariff, then i switched to the sse 24 hour ttariff (i actually requested the smart tariff but it did not happen so i requested the smart tariff) So it is absolutely not true that you get put onto a smart tariff automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I had a smart meter put in and my tariff has not changed. If anything, my bills have gone DOWN.

Whats the unit cost though? Go into bonkers.ie and put in your usage and check the smart meter button.

Then go back in and put in the usage again and check the standard meter button.

You will find that the standard meter tariffs are cheaper.

Thanks for the offer but im ok finding cheap tariffs thanks.

Now back to this...

This is utter nonesense. I have switched a number of times since i had a smart meter installed.

Just trying to help you out here. No need for the abuse.

I looked up your tariff. You can get far cheaper without the smart meter. I suggest you swallow your pride and look into it before declaring it nonsense.

If you would just do as i asked and post your unit cost including the discount im sure any competent person here can look it up and see that you can get cheaper on the standard meter than the smart meter.

The issue is that smart meter tariffs are more expensive than standard or even day/night tariffs.

The point is Switching from smart to smart tariff tells is simple more expensive than if you still had the option of the standard tariffs, but you dont, since you switched.

You do not get put onto a smart tariff when you have a smart meter installed, it is utter nonsense to post that you do. I'm just wondering if you can accept that?

I don't need to use national averages, or post here, I worked it out. I have the unit rates I have used in t1 t2 and t3 for the last 18 months since my smart meter was installed and while I have switched to other company's and not been put on a smart tariff.

I will save roughly 25 euro PA, that's not including me adjusting my usage in future by setting the washing machine and dishwasher to come on 11pm-7am which should be a 3-400 kWh moved to that tier.

Can you not just accept that the next time you change after you get your smart meter installed that only smart tariffs are available to you and they are more expensive than standard tariffs. Thats how simple it is.

Anyway it doesnt really matter. People should just be aware to check out the tariffs that will be available to them to change to when they change their plan going forward with a smart meter. Anyone can do the comparison then on bonkers and check what their new tariffs will compare with and without a smart meter.

I think you are just suffering from buyers remorse and an inability to admit when you are wrong, which is why you are being so vague and unwilling to post your unit rates (they are the difference when you are on the smart meter).

All ium saying is for people to look before they jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Scag Mattress

@eepaulo

You are wrong, JimmyVik is correct.

Sounds to me like you are trying to justify your poor decision & drag other down with you.

Old meter has better rates AT THE MOMENT, that could change in future of course.

• Advertisement

Eh? Way to just change the discussion to something else.

So let's go back and try again....

This is not true, you stay on a 24 hour contract after you get a smart meter installed, you also can move provider without getting a smart tariff.

Advertisement