Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,966 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

That's all we've had here. Literally nothing but endless disinfo on Covid, vaccines and the pandemic.

Some places think it should be straight up banned or restricted, other sites think it should be debated and tackled. Then we have this **** place where people think it should be protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Because the conspiracy theorists are just fragile little angels who are getting oppressed by mean questions and people pointing out when they're lying.

Can't have that and conspiracy theorists aren't able to defend themselves.

And it would be a tragedy if conspiracy theorists aren't able to dump links from twitter here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

You have said this thread was just about Ireland... So is it now a world wide conspiracy... Cool... What is it? Who's pulling the strings?

Cool. Another fresh steaming dump from twitter. No original thoughts of your own. Just more parroting.

So what's Neil Clark's theory? What does he say is the real reason for all of this since he's doing your thinking for you?

Or again, is he keeping things vague so he can market himself to a wide audience of conspiracy theorists?

• Advertisement

Correct.

Just catching up on a few posts. I see there are calls to close the thread because the restrictions are apparently no longer permanent and brianhere's argument debunked. When in reality there are more restrictions on the way and there continues to be no sign of any of the restrictions being lifted.

The 'echo chamber' stuff again when in reality they all just say the exact same thing as each other and thank each others posts non-stop. I have said before that they should just designate one poster per day since they all just say the exact same thing.

And yes, it's that people don't want to discuss things with certain posters. 24/7, Pointless et al.

Just reading through that reddit forum. Very interesting compared with this one. And no sealioning, as you say.

He'll flip back again when it suits him. He's done it dozens of times now.

It's pure dishonesty on his part and he's too dishonest to actually address it.

I'm sitting in a coffee shop and eating lunch. I'm going to cinema on Thursday. Might get a pint too during the week. We're in a drastically different scenario to a year ago.

Again, you want changes or an echo chamber because you can't handle having your views challenged. All your issues stem from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭storker

There certainly is a lot of repetition, which is one reason I tend to dip in and out, but I think anyone who's just blaming one side for that isn't seeing the whole picture. I'm at a loss to see how accusations of "paid shill" or the ever-beloved "sealioning", which appears to attack the poster rather than the act and as such falls under "ad hominem" as outlined in the charter, contribute to a useful discussion.

Wibbs what would you see a worthwhile format for a conspiracy theory forum, bearing in mind that the purpose of the forum is to "discuss topics of a controversial nature"?

This beings us back to the Great Charter Debate again. I think the only real answer to this is two Conspiracy Theory forums: one in which Conspiracy Theorists can "ooh" and "aah" over each others' favourite theories with nary a dissenting voice, but I would be firmly of the opinion that such a forum must be be clearly labelled as such so that nobody gats the false impression that these are unchallenged views. This would give the CTs the quasi-religious status their proponents give every appearance of craving, and which would be quite appropriate, given the level of reasoning frequently displayed by believers (heh, heh, sorry, couldn't resist 😁) and that those interested in real discussion are directed to the appropriate forum for that, in which CT-fans are required to actually engage in discussion defend their claims, provide clarification, etc. (CT-fans call this "Sealioning".)

• Advertisement

Not a bad idea in theory, but one that isn't going to work I fear.

Conspiracy theorists have demonstrated that they aren't actually interested in each other's theories. They never discuss what other theorists post to any depth. They never challenge each other even when their theories are completely contradictory and they throw fits if you suggest they share a belief posted by another theorists.

If there were a section just for theorists to post without being challenged or questioned, it would just be a dumping ground for links to bitchute videos and copy pastes from twitter rants and no other posts in the threads.

That's a bit what the forum is now if you cut out all the theorists posts that aren't about how mean people are to them or why they don't have to provide evidence or support to their theories.

But you had to show a pass/cert to those things, you had to wear a mask, you had to socially distance, you probably were greeted by half a face behind a perspex screen etc.

Do you really believe that with all the billions being spent on vaccine passports that they're a temporary measure? All the contracts signed, all the apps being developed. Can you name a single country that introduced them and then got rid of them?

New South Wales has vaccinated almost its entire population and still the passes are required almost everywhere. An interesting use of 'only in the following article:

"COVID-19 check-ins will only be required at some places.

These include hospitals, aged and disability care facilities, gyms, places of worship, funerals and memorial services, personal services, pubs, small bars and registered clubs, nightclubs, strip clubs, sex-on-premises and indoor music festivals with over 1000 people."

Coronavirus NSW restrictions update: All the COVID-19 rules changing from December 15 including masks, check-ins and unvaccinated rules | Explainer (9news.com.au)

And I'm looking at other countries 'cause I think it's a waste of time talking about restrictions in the context of Ireland. I don't believe they'll ever go. I don't particularly care either. I have my eye on other places.

For the last time: no problem with discussion, problem with discussing things with certain posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

You didn't answer my question... Is this thread about the whole world or just Ireland...and if it is the whole world... Who's pulling the strings? I'd genuinely love to know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Exactly…we finally agree, and those posters are yourself and other conspiracy theorists as you don’t discuss.

And I guess you're just as much at a loss to explain how calling posters 'loons' and 'crazies' contributes to a useful discussion? Or does it only work one way?

And what exactly is the conspiracy theory here? Billions have been spent on vaccine passports all over the world, for example. All those billions for a temporary measure. Really? All the apps being developed. When it was said that they'd be used domestically people were ridiculed.

Why can't you understand that it's not that posters don't want to discuss things; it's that they don't want to discuss things with certain posters? What's complicated about that? The solution is for posters who are on ignore to not be able to reply to the posters that have them on ignore. That would solve this ridiculous thing of endless ignored posts. Yu would think the person would realise after a while that they're being ignored. But I'm flogging a dead horse here. It's not going to happen, so the endless ignored posts will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Do you really believe that with all the billions being spent on vaccine passports that they're a temporary measure? All the contracts signed, all the apps being developed. Can you name a single country that introduced them and then got rid of them?

why would the government maintain them longer than is required? what do they gain from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I’d love to know if you can see my posts before I reply, yes or no response.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

I think the charter is against attacking the post rather than the poster but I think that's ignored.

I'm new here so I didn't realize that one has to read the rules of the game. So I went for red when I was confronted with what I thought was hostility, but then I realized that it was par for the course here. I even cursed at one poster, then all hell broke loose but it was forgotten about because I admitted that I was dissapointed with myself but honest enough to say I didn't regret it. What's done is done.

There's no point in being soft here, but there's no point in being too confrontational either.

It's probably one of the most leniant forums on boards as far as banter and slagging goes. And for that it's not too bad.

We're all on good terms again, it blew over... which is cool

WHO recommended that people wear them because of political lobbying, not because of scientific evidence.

PETER HITCHENS: Face masks turn us into voiceless submissives | Daily Mail Online

"Britain’s muzzle consumption is now so high that six months from now there will be reports of dolphins and whales floundering about in an ocean made sticky by millions of gallons of hand-sanitiser, as they choke on congealed clumps of used muzzles. These items are set to become the new plastic bags.

Why is this frenzy taking place?

Here is a clue. On July 12, Deborah Cohen, the medical correspondent of BBC2’s Newsnight, revealed an astonishing thing. The World Health Organisation (WHO) had reversed its advice on face masks, from ‘don’t wear them’ to ‘do wear them’.

But the key fact was that it had not done so because of scientific information – the evidence had not backed the wearing of face coverings – but because of political lobbying.

She revealed on Twitter that: ‘We had been told by various sources [that the] WHO committee reviewing the evidence had not backed masks but they recommended them due to political lobbying.’ She said the BBC had then put this to the WHO, which did not deny it.

But the key fact was that it had not done so because of scientific information – the evidence had not backed the wearing of face coverings – but because of political lobbying.

She revealed on Twitter that: ‘We had been told by various sources [that the] WHO committee reviewing the evidence had not backed masks but they recommended them due to political lobbying.’ She said the BBC had then put this to the WHO, which did not deny it."

Who lobbied the WHO is what I would like to know.

And in the US Fauci lied about masks last year: Anthony Fauci and the U.S. government’s noble COVID-19 lies. (slate.com)

"In March 2020, as the pandemic began, Anthony Fauci, the chief medical adviser to the president of the United States, explained in a 60 Minutes interview that he felt community use of masks was unnecessary. A few months later, he argued that his statements were not meant to imply that he felt the data to justify the use of cloth masks was insufficient. Rather, he said, had he endorsed mask wearing (of any kind), mass panic would ensue and lead to a surgical and N95 mask shortage among health care workers, who needed the masks more. Yet, emails from a Freedom of Information Act request revealed that Fauci privately gave the same advice—against mask use—suggesting it was not merely his outward stance to the broader public."

• Advertisement

OK so the theory now is that the pandemic was planned by the mask lobby to drive up sales of masks?

And again it seems all the previous claims that all measures will be permanent have been abandoned and were back to claiming only masks will be permanent.

Still waiting to hear a good reason why they're doing that.

Gortanna and Co don't want to discuss it though cause the idea just sounds so ridiculous if you look at it closely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The reason for the initial stance on masks is quoted in the post, but ignored for some reason.

"Rather, he said, had he endorsed mask wearing (of any kind), mass panic would ensue and lead to a surgical and N95 mask shortage among health care workers, who needed the masks more."

But still no theory as to why world governments would want to enforce mask wearing if the explanation of reducing the spread of covid is not the reason.

On top of that, Masks negatively impact any plots of mass surveillance since facial recognition tends to fail with them. Weird that none of these evil agendas seem coherent.

Well no, that theory has changed and gone the way of barcodes.

Theorists were claiming a few months ago that it was going to be a secret chip in vaccines that would do it.

But I guess they've given up on that one too now...

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

WHO recommended that people wear them because of political lobbying, not because of scientific evidence.

Why do you think we were recommended not to wear masks in the first few months?

What do you think would have happened if Fauci and Holohan and all the other CMO's said 'yes, masks slow transmission'? Do you think that the millions of people would just say "I realise that masks reduce transmission, and I want to protect myself, but I'm going to forego getting a mask right now because the hospitals need them"? Of is it a lot more likely you would see a run on masks by the general populations (you already had some appearing on Moore St as it was), and there would have even been less, or none, for the hospitals and care homes, etc. What would you have done if you were the CMO?

The more relevant question is do masks actually work, or not? The answer seems to be that they do work in the sense that they reduce transmission (but don't eliminate it, of course).

Why don't you read some real stuff, and not this make believe from people who don't give you a balanced picture?

Complete gobbledegook

The virus travels to other people via droplets/aerosols from your mouth and nose. Masks reduce that. Surgeons have been wearing masks for eons for the same reason. We wore masks during the 1918 pandemic. Countries experienced SARS, MERS and other respiratory diseases wore masks.

Why do conspiracy theorists, of all groups, have such difficulty understanding that do you think?

Millions of results in google as to how e.g. masks work. It takes a significant effort to be this ignorant.

Nah. Just need to get all your information from grifters who are marketing to them.

It's much easier to let some crank begging for donations to do your thinking for you.

• Advertisement

You have a habit of dismissing out of hand anything and everything that you disagree with. You don't even acknowledge that it exists.

In Peter Hitchens' article about masks he quotes Deborah Cohen, the medical correspondent of BBC2’s Newsnight. Here's the quote again:

"We had been told by various sources [that the] WHO committee reviewing the evidence had not backed masks but they recommended them due to political lobbying"

The issue isn't whether or not the things work, but whether they were recommended last year by WHO based on scientific evidence. Is Deborah Cohen lying?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement