Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

Let's put it another way: let's say that a prominent public figure argued that paedophilia should be included to LGBT, to make it LGBTP.

Now, nobody would be up in arms calling it "fascist" to argue that no such "national conversation" should be had on the matter. We know it's wrong and no such conversation should be had. That would be the end of the matter. I'm sure you would find a tiny % of nutters who would go around shouting, "this is fascist" not to let the conversation happen, but nutters are everywhere.

The same principle applies to what Farage was saying; that mandatory vaccinations are an affront to civil liberties because no adult should be forced by the state to have a medical procedure against their consent; that it's counter to the way that medicine is supposed to act and how politicians should behave.

To call Farage's remarks fascist is equally as absurd and just as nutty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So a conversation about mandatory vaccination is the equivalent to comparing gay people with child molesters. The hatred you seem to hold for people is almost beyond belief.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

The point is that both are wrong, and both are not "fascist" to oppose. We don't need nor want a national conversation about either. It's just common sense to be against both positions.

You wouldn't come along and declare it "fascism" if prominent public figures were proposing something as outrageous as that and people were against having those kinds of national conversation, would you? Precisely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

More deceit. Farage wanted to shut the conversation down because he didn't like it. You know this but deliberately and falsely peddle this myth anyway.

The two are in any case not remotely comparable. That this needs pointing out says much about you to be honest.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

The underlying principle remains the same. That not holding a national conversation on something is not, by default, "fascist".

You are very quick to apply the term to Farage, but when the principle is applied to other cases, you step away from this extreme claim.

It is not automatically fascist to oppose national conversations on topics. It's an absurd belief (as my example above has clearly illustrated).

• Advertisement

It doesn't because you're making up nonsense nobody said. Feel free to quote where I explicitly say opposing mandatory vaccination is fascist.

You argued that Farage and GB News is fascistic for arguing that a "national conversation should be prevented on mandatory vaccinations".

Are you willing to answer my question?

The 99.95% of the population who oppose a "national conversation" on including the P in LGBT; are they "fascist" for opposing the "national conversation"?

Of course they're not; they're absolutely right to oppose it. It wouldn't make them fascist at all. And that's my whole point: you trying to link "national conversations being prevented" with "fascism" is absolutely extreme.

And by similar logic, Farage isn't a fascist for opposing a national conversation on mandatory medical procedures for adults against their consent.

99.5%? You have a source?

The point is that borderline everyone is against it - and nobody is a fascist for saying that a national conversation shouldn't happen on the subject.

You're dancing around the issue without addressing it, and it's quite clear why.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,699 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sensationalism *and* a core logical fallacy (appeal to probability). It's like being in a transition year debating class, albeit one with a pupil that thinks they're very very clever and is actually awful at it

• Advertisement

So you've made up a scenario in yet another desperate attempt to distract from GB News, ie your usual carry on. Ok. The longer this thread goes, the more reason you provide for me to perpetually be asking for proof.

1,200 people currently watching the GB News YouTube Live streams, actually (with Mercy Muroki and Patrick Christys).

The BARB figures should be out soon for November, perhaps within a week. It'll be interesting to see whether my prediction holds up that November's TV channel views will buck the trend of the past couple of months, or I could end up with egg all over my face.

I happened to be right about YouTube figures, though, much to the chagrin of some.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,699 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm not involved or involving myself in this particular nutty debate of yours.

Although it is humorous to see you trying to accuse someone else of evasion, when it is your core debating tactic. Only beating strawman, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Strawman Argument - my post dies not contain the word fascist.

He was trying to shut down conversation and debate on a perfectly debatable topic. On a news channel promoting conversation and debate.

The fact that shutting down debate is a tenet of fascism is merely awkward.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Yet the same posters here had no problem shutting down David Starkey and Kathleen Stock.

"The fact that shutting down debate is a tenet of fascism is merely awkward" - yes, it is.

As I said yesterday, the hard-left have mastered the art of shutting down debate through the medium of cancel culture, and the culture of the permanently offended (and the same hard-left, permanently angry people who spend all their time trying to find reasons to hate as many people as possible for having the 'wrong opinions').

And we're back to more nonsense about white supremacist and the transphobe neither of whom were actually shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Strawman Argument - my post dies not contain references to other posters.

He was trying to shut down conversation and debate on a perfectly debatable topic. On a news channel promoting conversation and debate.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I did use the word. The fact that a news channel is seeking to shut down debate is deeply troubling so I do think it is justified here when a free press is supposed to do the opposite of what GB News does.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

She was on national television a few days later, amazing for someone that was shut down.

Reminds me of this:

"The hard left are shutting down debate though" 😂

• Advertisement

She's also got a plush job and book deal in the US. Wish I could get cancelled. It sounds wonderful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

whats your obsession with brining up paedophilia and paedophiles? Every time you want to make a baseless point, that's where you go

A far more realistic comparison would be opt out for organ donation or assisted suicide. Both are complex discussions and we are actively having them. And it's a conversation that many countries need to face around vaccines due to conspiracy theories affecting uptake etc. And let's be realistic, Farage is pandering to that audience.

Incidentally, we were told that Farage himself has always encouraged vaccine uptake and is vaccinated himself but I can't find anything on Google. It seems that he is slowly pivoting to the anti-vaxx side of the debate.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's because that's where his supporters are.

COVID-19 is killing a high proportion of people in regions of the UK that voted for Brexit in the 2016 referendum, a new report has claimed.

Research by Ludovic Phalippou of the University of Oxford and Betty H.T. Wu of the University of Glasgow has claimed to have found a direct correlation between Brexit-voting districts of the UK and those that have the highest rate of fatalities from COVID-19.

It reveals that the boroughs of Boston, Great Yarmouth, South Holland, and Hartlepool, for example, have the fourth highest fatalities from the virus in the UK and the biggest share of the vote for Brexit, with all four districts voting more than 75% for leave in 2016. By contrast, the 20 boroughs with the lowest death rates all voted heavily for Remain.

Just like the stark difference in Red/Blue states for Covid deaths in the US , the same right/Left divide is occuring in the UK.

Logically it should be the reverse , those living in built-up cities and in multi-occupancy residential areas (Apartment blocks etc.) should notionally be at higher risk from Covid than the average Rural/Suburban dwellers.

Political affiliation is a stronger indicator of Infection risk now over actual environmental factors it would seem.

Quite unbelievable.

Here is Nigel Farage brimming with glee at the prospect of receiving his second vaccination; in what is quite clearly an open endorsement of the vaccination campaign.

It's astonishing the lengths some people will go to smear the man.

Darren Grimes is the latest new addition to the GB News team for 2022.

I'm not the biggest fan of Grimes; I hate that accent.

He's also the latest homosexual to join GB News - after Stephen Dixon, Dan Wootton, and Andrew Doyle (among others).

That means, of the 26 presenters / contributors to GB News, at least 5 of them (20%) are homosexual (I should note that one other minority presenter is openly gay on social media with his boyfriend, hence 'at least 5'). GB News has a higher diversity of LGBT compared to probably all other news channels.

Yet it gets called a homophobic channel?

It goes to show that LGBT isn't all about being left-wing, though those on the left love to speak for LGBT community as if they "own" the subject. There are far more Conservative LGBT voices than many would like us to believe.

If only you'd included that earlier. I didn't see it in two pages of results for "Nigel Farage vaccine".

Who called GB News homophobic? Who said that absolutely every single LGBT person is left wing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No one is "smearing" him.

He is a populist plain and simple and as you yourself say , populists bend and sway with the opinions of their supporters.

There is a clear correlation between Brexit supporters are those that are Anti-Vax , Anti-Lockdown & Anti-Mandates.

So , it is not in the slightest bit surprising that his tone has shifted in recent times - he is merely doing what you say they all should do , he's following the votes/support.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement