Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playschool Lunch Disagreement

Options
  • 14-12-2021 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

Just looking for some feedback from you fine folk. Today I packed the following into my 4.5 year old's lunch box for playschool:

Half a mini sub-roll with mayo and Caroll's smoked BBQ ham (about a 3rd of a slice)

One piece of Kabanossi (a pork sausage snack)

One Babybel roll

Two Tuc crackers

About 7/8 white grapes (sliced of course)

A small bottle of water

My partner has given me massive flak for it, calling it grossly unhealthy and pretty much banning me from making any further lunches. While it's far from the healthiest lunch she could have, she's currently a very fussy eater and would have happily eaten all of this.

Can I get some feedback?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Sounds like you're partner overreacted, doesn't communicate well and is a bit controlling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I have definitely given my 3,5 year olds lunchs as unhealthy as that just to ensure she eats. As long as it isnt every day then i see no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

That seems fine to me provided its not the same every day.

Your partner sounds charming. There are children going to school with no lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Most of those foods are similar to what kids of the same age in creche for a full day would get for snacks over a week but its probably a bit much for 1 days pre school lunch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

Well I suppose if you want to be pedantic you could break it down like this.

Half a mini sub-roll (assuming it's a white roll here) - white bread contains little to no nutrition but could easily be replaced with a healthier bread

mayo - mayo is mostly oil so it's high in fat

Caroll's smoked BBQ ham - processed meats aren't very healthy in that they can contain high salt levels

One piece of Kabanossi (a pork sausage snack) - sausages are high in fat and salt

One Babybel roll - cheese is high in fat but also high in calcium so not all bad

Two Tuc crackers - high in salt (if they're the standard salted version)

Having said that, it's not exactly easy to convince a 4 year old to have a salad 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

I’m guessing the problem is the salt. With that said, seems fine to me. Maybe more fruit instead of the sausage. I’m a firm believer in picking your battles and if she eats what you have given her, great. No point in stressing about an uneaten extremely healthy lunch and a hungry child. We’d all love our kids eating tonnes of fruit and veg but the reality is they don’t.

Unhealthy was a bit strong but i was only repeating what was in the OP.

However I wouldn't call it a healthy lunch. I'm assuming the bread roll is white since she's such a fussy eater and the processed meat wouldn't be the best.

The babybel and the grapes are good but there is a lot of salt in the rest (except the water).

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭TM2015

The ham and sausage would have a high salt content. Check the ingredient list on the ham and you’ll see it’s full of stuff. I also assume it’s one of those “smoked” Polish sausages? Again, not exactly the healthiest food.

Very little fruit, I would add another type, berries, clementines, whatever she likes.

Not a single vegetable in sight. Even a couple of slices of cucumber, bell pepper.

i wouldn’t have eaten you for this but it’s not a great lunch combo for a preschooler.

There are many online toddler/preschooler lunch box planners if you are stuck in the same routine. You’re bound to find something that works for you and your wife.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'dhave given that, no problem. The balance is finding the things she likes. Raw carrots, peppers, celery. Maybe hummous, for dipping. Grapes, raisins. Some nuts, if there's no nut allergy in the class. Smoked salmon and cream cheese on a bagel is a once a week job here, minimum. They love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭10-10-20

What did your partner's suggested lunch consist of or what would they have replaced?

Is the Irish "ham sandwitch" a non-native concept?

Sulphates would be a concern with the prepared meats, perhaps this was causing concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hey Folks,

Yep the salt was the issue. We do vary what we give her for lunch as who wants to be eating the same thing every day. She gets at least one piece of fruit with her lunch all the time, water (no juice or fizzy drinks) and a variety of other items. She is a fussy eater but yesterday when she had the same lunch (she had a kefir drink instead of the Babybel) it was all eaten. I'd love if she was eating a salad or something wonderfully healthy but she's 4.5 and fussy.

She gets porridge every morning for breakfast and we always cook her a freshly made lunch and dinner. She might have a roast dinner, borscht, homemade pizza, enchiladas, meatballs in a tomato and mascarpone sauce, pasta bolognese, quiche, roasted salmon, lamb chops with mashed turnip and carrot etc. So I feel she eats generally fairly well. Sweets are at a minimum, I can probably count on one hand the amount of times she's had some crisps etc.

I wouldn't worry about it at all then to be honest. I was told by a nurse at the start to look at what they eat over a week. As long as that is balanced enough then you're doing a good job.

She doesn't sound that fussy to be honest and that looks like a very wide and healthy selection of dinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Salt isn't as bad as a lot of people think, the human body is actually pretty good at dealing with excess salt, a lot of its bad name comes from the sugar industry looking to blame anyone but themselves for bad health when sugar is in fact far worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLZOiG4etXo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amJ-ev8Ial8

That said processed meats still aren't great for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It's a bit salty, the kabanossi is grim stuff, and the tuc crackers add nothing, but I think lunches are often that bit less healthy, as you need it to be something the kids want to eat, seeing as how you're not there to make them eat it.

Having a balanced and healthy breakfast and dinner will easily make up for it.

One suggestion from me, not for lunches but in general, is to buy a liquidiser and make loads of soups. The majority of the soup is made from a vegetable that the kids will eat, but you can sneak in a load of other vegetables they'd otherwise avoid....but they can't see as it's been liquidised into a smooth puree.

I literally just made a 'pea soup' an hour ago, and as well as a loaf of frozen peas, it's got onions, carrots, broccoli, green beans, and even a tomato in there.

• Administrators Posts: 53,732 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Looks fine to me.

Not every single meal has to be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Honestly sounds like a really good diet. I wouldn’t worry at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ElizaBennett

Seriously - as the OP of the above post re picky eater - this honestly reads to me as a humblebrag of a really good lunch. And, agree with some on here, there is a lot of general ignorance re the perceived harm of fat and salt. Fat in particular is not a bad thing, it's just been painted as such by the sugar industry for decades and unfortuantely the misinformation has really really stuck with the public. Variety is of course the most important thing and the OP has listed fantastic range of dinners her child eats - no problem here. Except maybe this should be in 'relationship issues' as the partner is the cause of the hassle here, not the child's diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Stop making lunches right now.

Tell your partner to start making the lunches instead as theirs are superior to yours :)

• Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

How long is she in playschool for? Is it just 3 hours? If she's having porridge for breakfast and a freshly cooked lunch and dinner at home, then that seems like an awful lot of food to be feeding a pre-school aged child for what should really be a small snack at break time in playschool.

Rather than asking here though I really think you need to discuss, calmly with your wife. As parents you will both have different ways of doing things and different ideas on what's ok or not. It doesn't mean that one of you is more right than the other. It just means you have different approaches. Which is fine.

I think while the salt content of the lunch was fairly high, to me the amount of food is the issue. Does she finish her lunch every day? Does she feel under pressure to finish everything she's given at every meal?

Edit: "She might have a roast dinner, borscht, homemade pizza, enchiladas, meatballs in a tomato and mascarpone sauce, pasta bolognese, quiche, roasted salmon, lamb chops with mashed turnip and carrot"

Doesn't exactly sound like a fussy eater.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Advertisement
Advertisement