Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending mains cable

Options
  • 14-12-2021 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I have a socket in a room, and I want to move it to the right by 1m, I switched off the mains and unscrewed the socket to find that there is zero slack/give in the cables - whats the safe way to extend the Live/Neutral/Earths over a meter - this is all behind some plaster board.

My idea was those plastic connector blocks, but its mains 240v so just want to know the safe way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It would not be normal to have 1m slack on these cables. At the risk of being pedantic mains supply is 230 V AC. Anyway, the best solution is genearlly to use the existing socket itself as a junction box and to wire a new cable from this. A number of checks will need to be acrried out to ensure that this can be done in a manner that is compliant with the Rules.

I would not reccoemend using a junction box such as the one in the above post.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Double pedant - ESB supply can be nominally be between 207 Volts to 253 Volts AC😝

Only messing!

I read the post as that the original socket was going to be done away with, hence the suggestion of a slimline secure junction box with some strain relief that would fit safely inside the cavity. Why would you suggest against the junction box? It meets spec and, fitted correctly would surely be within regs. Not in any way arguing, just curious...

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Just to help clarify the information provided on the junction-box... to be clear to be clear.

The original socket should be either maintained as a socket or re-deployed as a junction box with a removable plate/face. This will allow any competent person to open the box and review the wiring path from the junction-box to the new socket and understand the wiring paths.

If the old socket is faced-off using plaster/filler or paint, then the path of the wiring could be assumed to be directly down from the ceiling to the new socket and the risk is that somebody could drill into the wall beside or above the old socket without knowing that there was wiring in situ.

Advertisement