Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Movies

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That's the one! 🙂

I still have yet to see The Family Man, just don't see it on anywhere ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Watching Get Santa later, Jim Broadbent is a great Father Christmas (see also Arthur Christmas). Nice family film with Yorkshire elves, farting reindeers and Dr. Who.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've watched a few of the cheesey netflix Christmas films over the last week, LoveHard was last night - cheesy and predictable but not terrible.

Last Christmas I really enjoyed, I thought it was really good and Christmassy and I enjoyed seeing London at Christmas on the screen cos I haven't been there in years.

Single All the Way - unfortunately it's terrible. I mean watchable but I'd never watch it again. It's a shame it seemed like a good cast but it just never really got going for me.

@Posy thanks for mentioning Serendipity is on Netflix, I hadn't realised that. Definitely worth a (re)watch! New York at Christmas is always good on screen 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I also watched a few on Netflix over the weekend:

Princess Switch 3 - enjoyable but they are working hard now to get a story out of it...It actually prompted me to go back and watch PS1 which I did on Sunday afternoon & it is a really nice Sunday Afternoon watch :)

Single All The Way - I actually really enjoyed it - thought the family were so lovely in it, especially the Dad, I loved him!

A Castle For Christmas - absolutely terrible, terrible acting, terrible accents, but a nice Christmassy vibe...I enjoyed it but won't watch again!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 newmem

I've been looking for that movie for a while. I love the old black & white Christmas movies. So nostalgic. Where did you manage to find the Shop around the corner. Jimmy Stewart in It a wonderful life is one of the main Christmas I remember from my childhood. Have tried to get my kids to watch it but haven't convinced them yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It's on Vimeo, if you are still looking for it.

https://vimeo.com/642595687

I watched it on a non official streaming app we aren't allowed to talk about here, but New Home has found it on Vimeo which is handy. You can rent it for 3.99 on Google play movies, or buy it for a fiver (digitally) either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I'll copy a DVD and send it to you... such a magical little movie.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I watched Krampus the other night. Not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AxelF84

Just finished watching both Christmas Chronicles with the 3 kids and I have to say I enjoyed them. Kurt Russell makes them very watchable. Also watched Father Christmas is back on Netflix with the wife, wasn't too bad... Just starting the Santa Claus 3 with Tim Allen and Martin Short now..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Time for me to dig out "The Neverending Story", "The Nightmare Before Christmas", "Ladyhawke" and "Marcelino, pan y vino" (none of them exactly Christmassy, but...). I still haven't got back "Fierce Creatures", my go-to non-Christmas Christmas-film tradition.

The Bishop's Wife my late evening film tonight, another of my '40s festive films (third favourite) and will probably watch Miracle on 34th Street tomorrow (fourth fav.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ScottSchultz

It's the time right now I am just watched a Charlie Brown Christmas like every year! I love it <3

An absolute classic.

We're watching 'its a wonderful life' atm, missed it last year so enjoying if after the break of a year... another classic.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

We watched Four Christmases last night, well I fell asleep 20 mins in but the intent was there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Watched 'Jingle all the Way' last night. Still find it funny watching Arnie, from back then, without a sh!t load of guns 😂

I only watched that in full for the first time last year (or the year before) & surprised myself by actually liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Yea, it's one of those easy watching movies that is hard not to like.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Spotted that While you were Sleeping is on Disney+ - not a Christmas story per se but it is set at Christmas and a nice romantic comedy, it's a long time since I've seen it but I used to love it. I'll be rewatching it at some stage over the next week or two :)

Some spoilers in the trailer here but if you've seen it before it's a nice reminder:

Post edited by miamee on

• Advertisement

On my festive viewing list every year. Jack Warden is great in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Watched New Homes vimeo link of Shop Around the Corner, it was very good, like Tom Man Centuria mentioned.

Bishops Wife is a favourite, as well as While You Were Sleeping.

Never fully seen It's a Wonderful Life, the early violent scene always puts me off.

Post edited by Deja Boo on

There's no violence from his father, maybe the scene from the drugstore with Mr Gower? But that's the only violence, it does make me cry when I see it though, for what is probably only 15 seconds it is very difficult to watch. Well worth trying to stick with if you can though Deja, or skip that scene, it is a great film.

I tried the colourised version a couple of years ago, and while I'm not normally a fan, I thought It was pretty good.

Its a wonder life & Christmas Vacation are my two favourite films of all time (for very different reasons I might add 😃) I agree the scene with young George and Mr Gower is a difficult watch but funnily enough I always felt the poor acting in that scene made it even more clumsy & uncomfortable to watch. Either way as mentioned above by Tom, I wouldn't allow that one scene prevent me from watching what is a fantastic film, a genuine classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I know this may be sacrilege, but I have never made it through "It's a wonderful life". Have watched bits of it a few times but just never finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I shall try and watch it this Christmas ^ thanks everyone.

Am watching Blizzerd at the moment, it's cute!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've been taking advantage of the free movies on Virgin Media- it's not remotely a Christmas film, but I watched Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri and it was superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

We watched national lampoons Christmas vacation on Friday night on a projector on the back wall. Christmas is on!

The Bishops Wife on Amazon Prime is rated at 13+ for alcohol and sexual content! Pretty sure on the half a dozen times I've previously watched you don't see anything more raunchy than a bit of ice skating and hand holding. First time I've watched on Prime though so maybe I'll see all sorts on this version 😅

• Advertisement

Thats a great film. Some serious acting chops on show.

Advertisement