Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

To be honest, I'd of probably let the bike hit the car a little, total pr1ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Got close pass and shouted at the other day by a motorist (again) on Lombard St, Dublin, between the Windjammer and Pearse St. I was in the right lane, which is turn only. He goes past, gesticulating at the (contraflow) bike lane towards the quays. He's in the right turn only lane, and so gets caught at the light behind a car waiting for the right turn filter. So he's in the wrong lane himself, although the irony is totally lost on him.

I draw alongside and ask why he's shouting at me, pointing out that the lane he wants me to be in is for cycle traffic in the other direction. He then shouts at me there's a bike lane on the other side of the road too. I point out to him that you can't turn right from there. I was a bit angry but suggested he familiarise himself with the rules of the road, and that he should be more careful about his own lane selection.

Something like this happens to me on this stretch of road every few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

What I forgot to mention at the time is, where you see him reversing in the clip is just after I hit his side window an almighty slap with my open hand and roared abuse at him. Totally pointless manouevre in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 9,653 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Took the kids up the sugarloaf in Wicklow today (in a car). Was genuinely shocked at a drivers deliberate "confusion" regarding cyclists clearly and responsibly signalling right to remain on the N11 where there was a very clear and marked exit. The van driver was taking the exit & instead of simply taking the exit he inexplicably slowed behind the cyclist, went right and overtook the cyclist before going left over the hatchings to take the exit very late in front of another driver. There was plenty of room to simply go where the car (that he cut off) went that was actually in behind him initially.

A 100% purposeful obtuse action to annoy & endanger other road users to make a silly immature point. There was no ambiguity regarding the cyclist intentions, my oldest in the passenger seat is 14 and he knew exactly what was going on.

Cyclist was in black livery with black mitts, I saw him perfectly and could even see he was wearing mitts instead of gloves.... perfectly visible. Unfortunately I don't have a dash cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

An odd one tonight. I was coming down Mobhi Road in Glasnevin doing about 43-45 km/h, in the bus/cycle lane. A car was driving in the general traffic lane beside me. As I passed the left turn for Home Farm Road, the driver let rip with the horn. I didn’t see the car again afterwards. There wasn’t much other traffic around. I can only assume he/she was attempting to overtake and left hook me, but had misjudged my speed, and then got annoyed when he/she realised their manoeuvre was going to be physically impossible to do while also slowing down to take the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I wonder if it's the same guy who shouted at me there before. The car park for my office is on the right just before the lights and I've been screamed at for not being in the cycle lane when turning into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Motorists don't like when you make right turns. A few years ago I was on a two lane road, stopped waiting to turn right into the car park of the apartment I was living in. Car behind beeps because apparently I shouldn't be stopped and waiting for traffic to pass even though a car would be doing the same. There's two off road bike lanes so in their eyes I shouldn't on the road. This was also on a very short stretch of road between two roundabouts, with a park on one side where cars would turn into the car park and my apartment on the opposite side so stopping to turn is a regular occurrence there...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Goes into the oncoming lane because they should and they have to but wait what about oncoming cars !!!! what a fuckwit. My guess there is all but the Yaris dropped anchor.

EDIT: Actually over taking coming up to a junction there on the left should also count against the Yaris.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Surprised there isn't an N and L plate in the back window.

Also that's all happening over a speed ramp

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The oncoming car stopped, the cyclists didn't.

Yaris driver should see several points and a fine for this crap

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Not a near miss (do we need a hit thread?)

Took the bike up to Dublin on the train yesterday, was delighted with how easy it was and the number of cycle lanes and their relative continuity compared to Cork, but less delighted with my first ever collision on the way back to Heuston this afternoon. Classic left-hook. I think he only flicked on the indicator as he was turning cause there was no way I'd have been in that position if I'd seen it. I'm still annoyed at myself for not holding back but I was a little distracted trying to figure out how I was supposed to turn right up ahead. Lesson learned.

His excuse was he had a green light (so had I) and the first he knew about me was hearing the crash. Got his phone number and reg but I just wanted to get out of there so left it at that. I'm a few quid down between getting checked out and filling a prescription to deal with my hip and elbow which are now fecked for the next week, I'll see how they get on I know some injuries take a while to appear.

It's weird if it was just a near miss I'd be delighted to go to the guards but now that's the last thing I want to do.

As an aside has anyone ever got a Cyclic Fly12CE repaired? Mine is acting up. Would have been a much better video from the front!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Doesnt matter.

Driver shouild have had his eyes planted in the offside mirror to make sure they werent gonna someome out of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Correct me if I'm wrong but he's crossing the bike lane to turn so must yield to you like crossing a normal lane of traffic? On paper that's similar to taking the exit on the M50 from the middle lane? (On paper anyway, obviously not quite as extreme) That's how I see it anyway. Anyone beside a bike lane should be checking their mirrors like a hawk. No excuse for that collision. Hope you're ok and nothing serious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Thankfully your ok and fair play to the guy in the red top looks like he was coming to help? I've had close calls like this a few times no indicator and then the sudden turn left. What's annoying here is the change to a broken white line so it becomes a shared cycle lane is my understanding it's no longer a mandatory lane. I think this rule to yield "Is signalling an intention to turn to the left and will move to the left before you overtake " comes into effect as its now a shared lane I know he wasn't indicating but that's your word against his :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

If I'm stopped in front of a lane of traffic because of a red light, intending to turn right. Am I correct in thinking that any cars behind me has to wait behind me?

I had two drivers in the past week give me a fright with their awful driving or overtaking.

As the light turned green, and off I go, one driver overtook me on my left and turned right in front of me.

Another driver, overtook me on the right.

Wish drivers would cop on. We are vulnerable road users on bikes and crappy moves like this does frighten me.

They should absolutely wait if they're turning right, if there's room to pass on the left and they're turning left or going straight they can continue but not if it puts you in danger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm a few quid down between getting checked out and filling a prescription to deal with my hip and elbow which are now fecked for the next week, I'll see how they get on I know some injuries take a while to appear.

send him the bill. from what you say, he did not indicate on time.

this is one of the things i do not like about those wands; i would often take up position in the middle of the road going through junctions to protect myself and the wands will often make this difficult to do.

If he was indicating well in advance he'd have had right of way, not that that would absolve them of not checking mirrors and driving through someone. I think I'm OK thanks for asking, just soft tissue damage.

Yeah nice guy, came over to make sure I was OK! Though I was a bit shook so didn't thank him properly. It's a terrible cycle lane design for a junction and it's repeated all over the country. I'd normally join the main lane in this situation so this can't happen but couldn't with the bollards, though I'd rather have them than not.

Good call re the bollards another example where the engineering actually makes it more dangerous

• Advertisement

"If he was indicating well in advance he'd have had right of way, not that that would absolve them of not checking mirrors and driving through someone."

Indicators don't automatically give right of way usually. I'm no legal expert but this is a bit of a grey area to me or maybe I'm just being silly/ignorant. In the road traffic act I think it specifies you are allowed to filter up the left of stopped or slow moving traffic unless the traffic is indicating left, but I have no idea what applies when a cycle lane is involved. To me it's an active lane and to cross it is akin to crossing from the outside to the inside lane on a dual carriageway or motorway, in that you should be checking your left side mirror before turning across it and yield accordingly.

That's the law I'm thinking of. Maybe right of way is the wrong term, just the cyclist shouldn't overtake in that situation. I don't think the cycle lane makes a difference, you're still overtaking. I've gone over the RTAs and Traffic and Parking acts a few times and there's very little in there that gives legal status to regular driving lanes either, they're all just part of the carriageway as far as I can tell. The mandatory cycle lane thing is the only thing that gets close.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I went through the Acts as best I could a while back, and a driving lane is specifically referred to as a "lane" (likewise a bus "lane"), as defined by road markings, etc. A cycle track is only ever just a "track".

All relevant overtaking, yielding, changing lane, etc. legislation refers to "lanes". A dashed white line indicating a cycle track gives you no extra legal standing - you are still overtaking on the left. Ditto a solid white mandatory line, even with wands.

Paint is not infrastructure, it will not protect you physically or legally.

(The situation above where a driver does not indicate before a cyclist has started overtaking on the left is not relevant to this discussion, that's covered by a cyclist' right to overtaking on the left given that the driver has not indicated an intention to turn. Driver totally in the wrong there.)

Post edited by buffalo on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The car was in a left turning lane and crossed the cycle lane and is completely at fault. The right lane is a straight ahead lane. Prior to the installation of the bollards the left lane was both a straight ahead and left turning lane. It was lethal for cyclists as drivers would encroach on the scrap of cycle lane along here and bully cyclists off the road. In the past I would take the right lane from the Hilton and continue on to the Phoenix Park. Now all that conflict is concentrated at these lights and I'm not yet sure of the best way to traverse it.

This junction needs an advance light for cyclists (they added them at a previous set of lights) and a bike box to allow people to get into a safe position. Also drivers need to stop being idiots.

I wish I could be certain about that part, I'd be much more inclined to follow up if I could say 100% (though they're still wrong for not checking mirrors). I dropped my front camera/light a couple weeks ago and since then it only turns on sometimes, very annoying since this is the first interesting thing to happen to me on the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

It's one of those situations where it will depend on what Garda you end up dealing with. Your video arguably shows no indicators, but it's only a momentary view.

I'd say you'd be very lucky to get a Garda sympathetic enough to do more than get the driver's side of the story, and if they dispute any aspect, then it would end there. I hate to be discouraging, but that's my experience.

Yeah I wouldn't be hopeful of or looking for any sort of reprimand for that reason, I would like the statistic recorded, though I'm not sure anything ever gets reviewed. The more I think about it that junction as it is now couldn't be better designed to cause this sort of incident.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think if I were to follow up with anyone on that, then it would be Dublin City Council along with each and every councillor (excepting one particular "pro-cycling" prick!)

Have you footage from the front?

• Advertisement

Advertisement