Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remote working - the future?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,112 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Housing is but one example. From citizen's information:

Landlords must use the RTB’s Notice of Rent Review Form when issuing a rent review. Landlords should fill out the sections of the form that are relevant to them and should not delete or change any of the form. Other forms, emails, text messages and spoken messages are not valid forms of notice.

(https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/rent_increases.html).

There are a number of other similar things in the finance and social welfare / services sectors. I cannot be bothered googling details of them all for you. But I know I've seen (and helped generate) substantial volumes of physical mail in all of these sectors in recent years. Granted, fewer items than there were, say, 20 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

City centres are finished. Commuter belts and girls from Buttevant leaving their Dad on the naughty step for 20k a year in the big 4 are more than likely finished too. As a kid from the western suburbs I can't wait til all the country people go back to Ballygobumbum or wherever the hell they're from and leave our sh1tty drug addled suburban towns to us locals. After all, we don't impose ourselves into their traveller fights!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

The good old the bigger the paper pile on my desk the more important I am or the person who walks around with a bundle of paper under their arm must be going to an important meeting.

legal profession love paper.

There’s a drunken rant if ever there was one.

• Advertisement

Some interesting bits from the article below

• Lyft Inc. employees who were supposed to be back at their desks in February now won’t be required to show up until 2023.
    • Ford Motor Co. pushed back a January return to date to March
    • Google and Uber Technologies Inc. shelved their plans indefinitely to see how the omicron variant plays out.
    • Almost half of human-resources leaders are looking to reduce office space as they develop future hybrid models, yet close to a quarter said they expect staff to fully return to an in-office setting
    • Only 11% of the more than 500 HR executives polled said they plan to go fully remote. At the same time, only 17% of non-executive workers want to return fully to the office and many are open to new jobs to maintain flexibility
    • Vista (formerly Vistaprint) - About three-quarters of new hires say they picked the printing company specifically because of its remote-work focus. The company’s Boston-area office has shrunk to about 70,000 square feet of collaborative meeting spaces and shared desks, down from the previous 300,000-square-foot traditional office layout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,572 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Interesting examples ‐ do the Vista employees share the financial benefits of the reduction of office space by three quarters? Or do they subsidise their employer with space, light and heat?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Perhaps they do subsidise, but then this is more than gained back through savings in travel costs and time savings of no commute?

You just don’t want to let this one go, do you? I doubt they are (and you know that), but they are still going in eyes open. They want this. Lifestyle improvements and commuting savings are much higher in most people’s priorities than whether their employer is passing on some lighting and heating costs.

Curious, have you raised your issue with your union and what did they say?

• Advertisement

You have a fixation on employees space light and heat. Every comment you make on this and other threads revolves around space light and heat.

It's not an either/or choice. Imagine getting all the lifestyle improvements and commuting time savings AND getting paid by your employer for the space, light and heat you are provided to them?

You seem to be stuck in a loop. Have you tried switching yourself off and back on again?

Those three components make up a lot of the cost of providing a safe workplace. Of course they are what discussion will back to.

You are the other ghoul who fixates on those things. Most other people like to discuss the benefits to the worker, the benefits to society, but you and AndrewJRenko pop up and bemoan the employer using your space, light and heat.

Quit with the personal abuse: just cos I disagree with you doesn't make me "ghoul".

The benefits to society of having young people cooped up working in their bedroom or boxroom, with only on-line exposure to colleagues and customers. Or of women being conveniently located to get in that extra bit of housework during their breaks, and out of sight so not exposed to stretch assignments and ad-hoc interactions which build professional competence and organisational trust.

Give me strength.

I'm calling you a ghoul because you pop up in the work from home threads and fixate on all the negatives you see of working from home without acknowledging any of the benefits.

Im a man, and I just did a spot of housework myself between meetings. It's 2021, housework is no longer solely a womans issue.

Young people no longer need to rent a box room in Swords because it's all they can afford. If they are working remotely, they can move to somewhere much cheaper and set up a decent office space quite cheaply. Oh yeah, they'll have to pay for the heating and lighting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

how is it only women who get that extra bit of housework in?

I disagree with that and I’d appreciate if you stopped with your sexist stereotypes please.

Your comment about women shows just how out of touch you are, which is reflected in your views of how an office should work (which has prompted many posters on this thread to suggest you are still living in the 1980s).

I did some housework today to take a break between meetings, and popped to the post office. Means that I don’t have to do it tonight (nor does the wife!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

I'm about to put tonight's dinner on during my lunch break so we can have dinner as a family and nice and early too.

Damn I hate this employer exploitation. 😁

(Got to love slow cookers though.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Indeed give us strength. Look for the vast majority of workers these (mostly spurious, like not getting stretching projects, if anything it's you that's stretching it 🙄) trade offs are something they are happy to make. For all but the tiniest subset of workers, the light, heat and space costs are more than offset in the quality of life and flexibility improvements working from home offers.

I actually happen to live very close to my office, just a short 5min stroll so I don't actually get to see the big benefits like commuting or accommodation costs (unlike many of my colleagues - one of whom has now been able to buy a house as a cash buyer in the country, with the money he had intended as a deposit in the city), but I am a rarity and I still wouldn't give it up due to the quality of life improvements it's offered.

So yeah, €2 a day on additional light and heat costs, more than worth it to be able to spend more time with my family. If my employer sees a benefit too, well good for them - everyone wins.

• Advertisement

Bang of 'let them eat cake' off this now. Maybe he doesn't want to move from Swords. Maybe his family are in Swords. Maybe his kids are in school in Swords.

Maybe we shouldn't be expecting people to change their life plans because employers want to save a few quid on office costs?

Why should workers be expected to 'trade off'? Light, heat and space is an employer cost. Why should employees be sharing or taking on totally this substantial cost now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Because there's either an overall neutral/no cost or all things considered, a significant net again (not just monetary considerations) to wfh and it's potentially a win win for lots of employers AND employees. Insisting employers pay for these things is naturally going to lead to employers not being keen to allow wfh to continue and the employee who view wfh home as a 'net gain' it at a loss, again not just considering money. I'm at a loss as to why this needs to be spelled out over and over and over again. Also, 'substantial cost'?! Are you working from home in the North Pole?

You seem to be stuck in a loop. Have you tried switching yourself off and back on again?

Says the lad fixated on the same non-issue for nearly 2 years 🙄

I asked you previously what your employer said when you suggested this, you said they didn't go for it.

This time I asked what your union said as you stated in the past you are in the public service so public sector unions would normally be the ones to engage with your employer on issues such as this.

I'm guessing the answer is one of the following

1. You are afraid to ask as you know you'll be laughed out of the room
    2. You asked and were laughed out of the room
    3. They took your concern to your employer and the union rep was laughed out of the room

As previously explained to you, this isn't about me or my employer. See the big picture.

It is far from neutral for an employer who could well end up halving their office accommodation costs. They'll be laughing all the way to the shareholders, while continuing to spin the HR/PR line of how WFH is a privilege and employees should be grateful for being left off the lead. Employees have one chance to share in these cost savings.

The issue is, for the vast majority of employees, they don't care if they have a seat in the office and they don't care if the employer makes savings, reduces footprint or makes an increased profit. Most employees are just interested in their own well being and they believe the costs of L&H + space in the home are greatly outweighed by the benefits of zero commute and the freedom to live anywhere in the country. I personally have practically no commute and much prefer WFH.

But if you don't believe that, that's fine too. You can continue to go to the office if you wish.

Would an extra couple of grand a year make a difference to your wellbeing?

It depends. If my working conditions remain as they are now, yes it would. Were WFH reversed, it would depend on the size of the increase.

WfH is a perk, or at least it was until it became normalised by the pandemic, and one could try to calculate its value if they wanted to. Say I switched jobs to an employer with no WfH, I would certainly have a number in mind for the increase in salary in order to stand still.

• Advertisement

I would want an extra couple of grand to go in to the office!

Would you like the option to WFH and get a couple of grand extra?

I suspect your employer may decide that your attendance in the office is essential.

Do you reckon that most employers would prefer to walk away from ALL the potential very substantial cost savings, rather than consider sharing some of these savings with employees?

I reckon wfh is new and evolving way of working for both employees and employers. The benefits for employees are obvious, and have been explained to you multiple times. No doubt some employees will still need to attend offices, if you feel hard done-by in wfh, perhaps it would be better for both yourself and your employer if you return to your office.

• Advertisement

Nice sidestep there. As has been explained to you multiple times, it's not about me or my employer. Try to see the big picture.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Do you recon that your employer will pay you more to work remotely if you become problematic when the can hire someone else to work remotely instead? Employers aren’t going to walk away from the savings, they will just walk away from you.

As there is no right to wfh, I don’t see why Andrew should not be accommodated in the office.

To answer your question Andrew, the employers won’t walk away, no doubt they will either accommodate those who have a problem with wfh by allowing them to go to the office, or let them leave. There is a lot of demand for wfh positions, most people welcome it as evidenced by the number who have responded to your rants. But if it’s not for you, so be it, move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,619 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Or to put it the other way:

Employee to self: I can work from anywhere.

Employer to self: anyone anywhere can do that job

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Define a couple of grand. I used to need a monthly Luas ticket. I don't anymore. That alone is a saving of 1200 a year. I used to pay 1500 for an apartment in Dublin, I now pay just under 1000 for an apartment in Galway, that saves me 6000 a year. Those savings alone come to 7200. I can easily afford the extra lighting and heating from that.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

The bickering on these threads is funny.

It's subjective depending on a person's situation whether wfh is "good or bad".

The guy moving to galway is potentially having a great time, the guy who is paying off a big mortgage for a short walk to the office is maybe not loving it as much right now.

The guy with a nice office space at home is delighted. I for one prefer my home setup to what is offered in work. Monitor, keyboard ,chair etc.

The guy with no spare room is maybe finding it all a bit meh.

There's people who like their own company and focusing on work. People with clubs and interests in their community.

Then there's people who enjoyed the social aspect of working with people. And lunchtime with their colleagues.

Savings from your net pay too.

The problem Andrew is that if employees start insisting on being compensated fully for L&H and space well then it starts to tip the equation back in favour of office based employees for employers - as this decision starts to have a tangible cost, with less tangible benefits (like lower staff turnover). It's a case of picking your battles especially when you could lose it all.

Any employee with an ounce of sense knows that when you start to ask an employer to actually spend money on something, you encounter resistance and would possibly see the benefit reversed - because you risk turning it into a net negative for the employer. Or as we put it in our place, you don't rock the boat when you're onto a good thing. WfH generally has a greater net positive for the employee over the employer, but currently is still positive or neutral for both. So when someone is saving €8k per year from their net salary, most, if not all are willing to take the increased costs of running an office in the home on the chin because of the overall massive net positive for them.

So maybe in a few years when WFH is established normality outside of pandemic conditions I'd suggest employees could look for home office payments. But until then I would suggest they hold their fire least they end up in a worse position through losing the benefit entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭whippet

I've been WFH 90% of the time for the last 5 years - I loved it right up until Covid kicked in. Suddenly the amount of pointless meeting over Teams grew by about 300% ... customers / suppliers / partners suddenly decided they needed to fill their calendars with meetings.

I've spent the last 6 months or so more or less rejecting any invites that I know will not have a defined outcome or agenda - the sooner people learn that meetings need a purpose and measurable outcome the better.

Before covid I met up with my colleagues a couple of times a week - the odd time in the office but more often for lunch or a coffee and it was perfect - covid put the mockers on that and being stuck in the house with very little social interactions has been tough.

My old commute could take up to 2 hours each way due to the madness that the M50 is and that was the biggest issue with working in an office - I don't want to live in Dublin so either WFH or suffer the M1/M50 nightmare.

Fortunately I used lockdown well to do some professional exams and I'll be starting an new job in January - it will be office based (once restrictions are removed) .. but it is less than 5 mins drive from my house, 20min cycle and right beside the kids school. I'm actually looking forward to getting back to an office - and it will be flexible so won't need to be there everyday.

Anyway - remote working is old news - hopefully this will be the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Anyway - remote working is old news - hopefully this will be the future

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/tech-company-typetec-moving-staff-to-four-day-week-on-full-pay-an-obvious-next-step-for-us-41150797.html

Hahah - yes - old news! (permanent work for home for me, happy with that, but it suits me. Have space for an office I can close the door on)

I've been doing a four day weeks since June. Completely excellent. Love it!!!

And my MNC has just gone to a no limit on annual leave policy. In Ireland you have to show you’ve taken the statutory minimum, but arrangements beyond that are down to you and your management. It’s massive flexibility, especially when combined with hybrid working, to load up some days and have some days just off to do other things.

It takes a very mature management and HR structure to make it work, and a focus on work and delivery rather than presentism and micro management. Luckily we have the former in spades (and the reality is that most of us in my firm have been doing it informally already)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

I work for a MNC who is broadly planning on a hybrid model once government gives the go ahead on return to office. But they've made some roles eligible for fully remote. Luckily my role is eligible, so I applied and got it. I am thrilled.

The savings in money are huge - No annual commuter ticket, no need for a second car to get to dart station, and spending far less on office attire.

But the biggest benefit for me is time. I save 3 hours a day commuting. 3 hours that I get to spend with my kids and husband. When my eldest (daughter) was one, I missed out on so many milestones because I was out the door at 7am and not back until 7pm 4 days a week. Weekends I was exhausted. I'm far more productive and happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jessica890

ITS A TOUGH AND FIRST TIME SITUATION FOR ALL SO SOLUTION IS NOT IN THE FAVOR FOR COMPANIES OR EMPLOYEES.

For me, its little things like laundry. It takes 5 minutes to load the washing machine, 5 minutes to unload it. Load it, unload it at some point during the day, come 6pm, when you have finished your work day, the laundry is done too. A regular annoyance for me was doing a days work in the office, 1 to 2 hour commute home, and either have to load the washing machine or hang up the stuff. It felt more arduous after a long day. Get home at 7 or 8, you want an early night, but you have to wait for the washing to finish so you can hang it up so you have a clean shirt for the morning. These little things with working from home, makes life a little bit easier.

Theoretically, you're correct here, there is a danger of tipping the balance. But that danger is very small. The potential savings for the employer are very substantial. There is lots of scope for some kind of sharing of costs to create a win-win for both sides.

• Advertisement
Advertisement