Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Omicron variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Malarkey..Why? because that is not what is happening. Everywhere, Delta is being replaced by Omicron. Yes, as i said before, they will co exist but Omicron will and already is winning the race. It is the way viruses have always developed. The mechanism is clear. I have no clue why Moderna's CEO would say what he did. It doesnt make sense like his statement about Omicron being a severe disease. We know nobody has the data on that yet and there is more evidence of the opposite. And that story about co-infection and virus mutations is beyond comprehension. Coupled with what we know about viruses over time his statements are..bah, humbug.! And those figures from SA he quotes we already know the context in which they should be seen. He is either an idiot or if not he has alterior motives. I hate to go pharma bashing because i believe that the vaccines have helped greatly but he makes it very easy for the anti-crowd to attack him on this. But maybe he just doesnt care and only looks at profit margins keeping the fear and vaccines/boosters up in perpetuity. They have managed to convince governments that it is a good idea to give boosters every 3 months otherwise you get no QR code/ vaccine passport so maybe he is just a good salesman. It is getting harder and harder to defend these people when in conversation with either anti vaxxers or anti restrictions or both. In the Netherlands, my country of birth they have extended the closure of a lot of sectors of the economy after 5 pm until half january. Im deeply saddened by this. This growing rot is eating away the fabric of society..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

30% milder than Delta. Remember they said if omicron wasn't as bad as first feared the restrictions would be reversed immediately? Not a chance of that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,086 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

As I've posted before, you have to be really careful about those "% milder" stats. If Omicron is reinfecting more people with immunity from vaccination or prior infection than Delta did, you could see both a lower CHR/CFR, and more people in hospital/ICU/dead.

I don't agree with the restrictions either.

Well if that's the way, government need to be honest and tell us restrictions are a new part of life.

Because when restrictions loosen cases are going to go up no matter how contagious it is.

At this point, sounds like everyone should be hoping for a new variant...one that is more contagious but does no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Mango321

Interesting study that looked at Pfizer, Moderna and J&J against variants, efficacy over time, and effectiveness of a single mRNA booster.

On the inherent greater infectivity of omicron (excluding the immune/vaccine escape issue):

• Advertisement

whatever about aids poverty has little to do with covid severity - as Europe and the US are the worst affected. Sub Saharan Africa has very low death rates. So far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I find Moderna's comments throughout the pandemic to be really.... strange. They are a lot more doom & gloom than Pfizer is, and people say Pfizer are in it for the money. It appears to be the opposite in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If it's 2x as infectious as delta, but the CHR is 40% of what deltas was, surely there's a net gain here overall

For every 1000 delta cases, 101 were hospitalised in SA.

For every 1000 omicron, 38 were hospitalised. It may spread 2x as much, but hospitalises at less than half as much. It really depends on what number the cases plateau at (as they always do) - exponential growth in case numbers is never constant, eventually it saturates

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Key thing to remember also is we're not gonna see population wide growth. We've 1.2 million with 3 doses. This is far from a worrying situation imo. If anything it could be the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,491 ✭✭✭corkie

"Results today suggest that approximately 14% of our cases are due to the Omicron variant."

@CMOIreland

Twitter

& Tony's account tweeting again

Ireland 544 Probable Omicron today.

EU figures are well out but none from UK yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Very worrying situation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I thought I read somewhere that Moderna's share price, and this guy's personal wealth through share/share options, went up considerably when he talked up Omicron last week. He may not be the most objective suffice it to say....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Definitely not this side of Christmas but a slim chance in January or February!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Economics101

This may have been on another thread already, but the UK authorities have just abolished the Red list after only a few weeks and also MHQ. The reason: as omicron is already well-established in the community measures to keep it out are pointless. I wonder how long it will take for us to make a similar decision: one week for NPHET to consider it, one week for the Cabinet to consider what NPHET says, and another week for actual implementation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Add another 2/3 months to that I'd say, mainly due to our penchant for Covid theatre, abundance of caution and not wanting to be like the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Actually Donnelly was very fast on that once NPHET recommended it, it was gone in days but with the season upon us it'll probably be there till January at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Yes. not much point for it at this stage. I would like to see mandatory pcrs reintroduced though, as a temporary measure, until we see how the lay of the land is. Antigens only make sense if they are made that day. preferably just before or after a flight. 48 hours before is pointless.

^^^ Please note: data processing delays occurred for England in the last 24 hours and additional data will be available tomorrow.*

total (worldwide) 13,205 (~78,092)

To-day the CMO says that about 14% of Covid cases are the Omicron variant. Out of a running total of about 4,000 cases per day that is equivalent to 720 Omicron cases daily. Yet last night the Dept of Health is reported as saying that has identified 18 cases (cumulative total). Both of these numbers are reported by RTE to-day.

Can anyone explain this? I know the HSE are bad at data but this seems ridiculous.

See above post where I linked the explanation on S-gene dropout on PCR tests.

To confirm test's there are sent for genome sequencing which is expensive.

14% is the number of tests results that had the S-gene dropout making probable omicron cases.

Only Confirmed GS tests are been reported and not the probable cases. That is how the world is reporting them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

14% of sequenced cases are Omicron, but not all cases are sequenced.

If the sample is representative, then about 14% will be Omicron. But we can't give an exact number for anything other than the sample.

Thanks for that, all is now clear! But the reporting could have made it clear in the first place!

Do they sequence every test?

If they do, how come they never discovered omicron until now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

So you keep saying, but do you not feel safe in your nuclear bunker?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

Indeed.

Hold firm, just once we get the boosters out to everyone we will be out of this.

#betterDaysAhead...

#weAreInThisTogether

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

I have the same question...as they are/were sequencing between delta and alpha....i wonder if they were only looking for delta and assumed the rest is alpha....etc...otherwise it doesnt make sense.....

Omicron looks set to be most of the cases next week and of the cases follow the omnicron growth they will grow exponentially. Worst week to happen as well, people visiting relatives across 2-3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭quokula

Completely anecdotal, but I am regularly in touch with a bunch of people in London through work and while the odd person now and then has caught covid over the course of the pandemic, in the last week practically everyone I know there has caught it (about a couple of dozen people), and I know a few who have had their kid's nurseries closed because of large numbers of staff testing positive. I'd assume it's omicron from the seemingly rapid spread.

Nobody's had serious symptoms, but these are all relatively young, healthy and well vaccinated people.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,086 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If by "2x as infectious" you mean growth rate is 2x, then no.

Effectively what happens is the wave is unflattened, like everyone is socializing more than they actually are.

So we basically get a replay of last Christmas's case spike, but with even more infections.

As I'm not seeing anyone vulnerable over Christmas I'm trying to decide whether it's worth negligently catching Omicron to give me better protection against catching and passing it on after Christmas and against a possible future more pathogenic variant.

edit: I just spoke to someone who had covid last month and has only just recovered his sense of smell/flavour, so screw that. A Christmas without flavour would be baaad.

Post edited by Lumen on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

I hear ya. But i do expect those high number cases to happen in January in Ireland. It would be good for vulnerable people to be really careful over Christmas and the other people meeting them to stay away. I would even go as far as saying that vulnerable, immuno compromised people would be better off not going to family christmas gatherings. There is an impression created that boosters are going to be a cure and will stop Omicron. It does not mean people w bad immune systems will be sufficiently protected because it is not a 'top up' but instead only goes to 100% of the existing immune system which may be running at 30%. And neither does it leave people w good immune systems without protection when not taking a booster as your T and killer cells trained by a vaccine will in most cases take care of the virus. So, i will wait for the results to come prior to deciding to get a booster shot.

I am a little bit in dubio about this. Let me explain: a booster will, well, boost my immune system. Probably not needed w Omicron so catching Omicron and let the immune system take care of it might be the best way to handle it and have it over and done with. What it will certainly NOT do, Lumen, is protect you against a more transmissable and more lethal version as that cannot happen. A following variant will be more transmissable and LESS harmful. But getting Omicron will protect you against the latter of course.

If something worse comes along it will be a different virus and current vaccines wont work.

I know some anti vaxxers who hope Omicron will be mild and solve their problems and aim to get it which is likely, get over it and get the stamp of approval. Then the others wont have to treat them as pariahs any more..

Post edited by deholleboom on

Advertisement