Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,852 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How would it be handled if neither team can play the fixture? Both teams given a -28 on points difference and 0 points?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

When I've watched Munster over the last 5 years I've seen a team that's less than the sum of it's parts. They have one of the best squads in Europe, full of regular Irish internationals and test Lions, supplemented with quality overseas players like De Allende and previously Stander, Taute, Bleyendaal and Mathewson. A squad that 90% of clubs would kill for.

In 4 seasons they've made the semi finals of Europe twice (by beating Toulon and Edinburgh in the 1/4s) but been comprehensively beaten by Racing and Saracens respectively, didn't get out of the group in 2020 and beaten handily enough at home by Toulouse in the round of 16 this year. That's negative progress.

The only way they could have had a better chance at silverware last season is if the URC was handed to them on a plate. They were at full strength against a far from full strength Leinster (minus Ringrose, Ryan and Doris with Lowe, Sexton and Furlong on the bench) in an empty RDS a week after the 6N, yet they never so much as fired a shot and were comfortably beaten. In fact they were actually given another chance at silverware, but they were knocked out at home by Connacht.

They have consistently played pragmatic, boring and predictable rugby and shown very little evidence of evolution in 4 years. Not to mention the regular signing of average NIQ players like Moore and Jenkins rather than backing their own talent (which is 100% there as we've seen).

I want to see Munster be strong, like I do with all of the provinces. And I don't see why any Munster supporter would be disappointed about JVG leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

According to Wiki on a chart claiming to be correct as of 12th Dec (again, wikipedia...) It's 77% for Rassie and 70% for JVG.

Yes its less but he's also overseen over 60 more games than Rassie.

I don't buy in to Munsters tenure being overly different between Rassie and JVG, they were both similar imo but Rassie looked like he was building to more success

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Murray kinsella tweeted "Sounds like Leinster back in training today, which is great news.

Hopefully Montpellier get all-clear in their testing tomorrow.

All set for a cracker on Friday night in France!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

They’ve been beaten by the absolute upper tier of teams in JVG’s tenure.

Other than Rainbow cup, they were beaten by eventual winners 6 out of 8 teams. They other times the were beaten by the finalists.

The year they were beaten in the group stage, they had Racing and Saracens in the group. You’re simply wrong on this year, against Toulouse. They put in a good performance and were within one score up until DuPont’s 76th minute try. (I think they were ahead on 65 mins?)

Youre also simply wrong that they’ve shown little evolution in 4 years. In the last year or so we’ve seen Archer and John Ryan try pop passes from the deck and offloads. It’s not always been successful but it that doesn’t mean they haven’t been trying. I’d wager box kicks are down and passes per phase are up.

Take the try of the season last year vs Cardiff: I just don’t think we score that type of try under Rassie.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

if somebody said the sky was blue you'd argue you the toss. as usual you are completely wrong.

VDg was grand. thats it. he's a nice guy and an inexperienced, grand coach. THe IRFU and Munster should be aiming higher than inexperienced and grand. Might be more acceptable with a local coach. But with Rassie machinations it should have been avoided. the JVG era for the second longest serving coach ever, is a bit of meh. the evidence is most peoples indifference to it.

Is Lancaster a live option?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

"Additional number" could be anything unfortunately.

Having said that , Leinster should be able to manage this and still be able to travel with confidence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

“if somebody said the sky was blue you'd argue you the toss. as usual you are completely wrong.”

I mean, you can have a go at me OR you can argue against the points I made.

And judging by your post with regards JVG’s departure specifically, and about his tenure being mostly grand, I’d wager we’re not a million miles apart, to be perfectly honest.

Anyways, Leinster thread…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's on top of whomever tested positive after Saturdays game. Not ideal, but like you say, it's still manageable.

I think this week is going to be a bizarre game of blink first between Leinster and Montpellier so they're not considered the ones forfeiting the fixture

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Montpellier got hosed in round one and have bigger fish to fry in the Top 14. My money is on them to cancel first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Spot on with this. Leinster will be doing everything to show they're able to play.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

For a Friday KO , I assume that means that teams need to be announced by tomorrow sometime(~48hrs before KO), would that be right?

That should be a decent indicator, also I'd guess that Leinster would be travelling Thursday morning at the latest so they'd want clarity before then at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Teams announced Thursday.

I dunno, the way things are going, I wouldn't be shocked if rounds 3 and 4 were cancelled again so two wins from two could be crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I posted this in the Connacht thread, but it's relevant to Leinster too. I would be surprised if they weren't planning for contingencies like this.

"I see the branch are still selling the 3 game package for after Christmas but in reality, is it in any way likely the Stormers game will go ahead? They would have to travel before the 29th December and isolate for 10 days (training??) just for one game. Same for Leinster v Lions the same weekend.

I wonder is there a chance they might reschedule the Connacht-Leinster game to that weekend to fill the gap? They did similar for the SA derbies when the Munster/Scarlets/Cardiff/Zebre games couldn't go ahead down there."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Hard to know. It hasn't arisen yet. Munster has proven they can fulfil a fixture if you have enough players. I'd say it will come down to a matter of both teams going ahead unless both camps are riddled. The travelling team is probably at greater risk as they can't bring in players at the last minute.

Interesting to see how it goes. Hopefully they can isolate the people with covid before it spreads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Probably make more sense to do that than make them travel for one game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Well they were down to just travel for one game anyway, but with the travel restrictions now they would have to travel more than 10 days in advance, complete quarantine/isolation (would they be able to train??) before playing. I can't see it going ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Yeah. After their exploits variously for Ireland and the British Lions over the past year it's hard to see past that trio. I wouldn't be surprised if that backrow isn't as effective for Leinster as it has been for the international side, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There might be a slight difference with the Munster issue in that the players in South Africa were effectively in a bubble together so players in Ireland weren’t affected whereas even though Leinster are nowhere near as badly hit, all the players are in the same bubble as the people who got covid so it may be a slow burner through the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

With this omnicron variant supposedly being milder and more transmissible I wonder would it be wise to deliberately infect teh squad so they're inume later in teh season. Like the chicken pox parties they sometimes have for children. They could do the squad in two or three batches so thee would still be enough players available to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Mind you since 50% of the cases in the UK are Omicron and 11% here. They may remove the restriction soon as it’s fundamentally pointless now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

yeah, wouldnt be surprised to see Montpellier take the opportunity to have a weekend off without any judgement.

A good chunk of frontliners training in this gallery thankfully https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/gallery/squad-training-montpellier-trip/

Should be able to put out a solid team with players pictured

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Adds a lot of fun to a drama filled week.

That flight was due to fly tomorrow. Might be flying Friday instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Not a lot of scrumhalves or international centres in the gallery

Advertisement