Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Freaks. Only watched because it has Bruce Dern. Went into it without reading the synopsis and I am glad I did. the synopsis doesn't do it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I thought it was really good. Its based on a itv drama from 2009 never seen it so maybe its worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,735 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ye i seen that but i personally think its below usual Oscar standard

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I just watched a short vid on YouTube about were she goes and visits the old home, it's near identical to the movie. It stars Suranne Jones as Ruth Slater.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

It's abysmal, her face is so stretched. You need the odd line in your face to act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Im interested to know what sort of insidious racism did he endure?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

How about watching the program and finding out? 🤯

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Come on man , tell us about all this "insidious racism" poor Colin was subjected to? Maybe the two who liked your post can chime in if you don't feel up to the task. @Mr Crispy @TICKLE_ME_ELMO

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

strange in this era of so called 'cancel culture' that Colin Kapernick is not mentioned , the one person to truly get cancelled and it was by the right so i guess thats why he doesn't get included in the narrative

i'll give 'black & white' a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

You're being deliberately obtuse and you know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ava DuVernay has made a few things with Netflix that are definitely worth watching. Her distribution company Array has got a lot of interesting things too, most of them are on Netflix too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Yeah, like the dixie chicks and Bush. And rhe people who cancelled them ended up being the biggest boot lickers for Trump who ran on an anti Bush/Iraq war agenda. But what Kapernick done just ended up preaching to the echo chamber, to get support you have to get people on the other side onto yours. To me it seemed, he kept antagonizing them.

The Hand of God (2021) (Italian) – Paolo Sorrentino’s latest tells the story of a boy, Fabietto Schisa, in the tumultuous Naples of the 1980s. The Hand of God is a story full of unexpected joys, such as the arrival of football legend Diego Maradona, and an equally unexpected tragedy. Fate plays its part, joy and tragedy intertwine, and Fabietto’s future is set in motion. Sorrentino returns to his hometown to tell his most personal story, a tale of fate and family, sports and cinema, love and loss

The Hand of God: Through the Eyes of Sorrentino (2021) (Italian) - Director Paolo Sorrentino returns to Naples, his hometown, and reflects on his youth in an exclusive tour of the locations of "The Hand of God."..

Selling Tampa: Season 1 (2021) – This reality series from the Selling Sunset production company follows Tampa’s all-female, Black-owned Allure Realty.

Elite Short Stories: Phillipe Caye Felipe (2021) Season 1 (Spanish) - Just as Cayetana is trying to get over her ex--boyfriend with the help of her new friend Felipe, the prince reappears in her life.

137 Shots (2021) - In this documentary, law enforcement faces scrutiny as Americans demand justice after police violence claims multiple Black lives in Cleveland.

Superstore (2020) Season 6 - At a big-box megastore in St. Louis, a group of employees with larger-than-life personalities put up with customers, day-to-day duties and each other..

Sequestered (2014) Season 1 - A lethal conspiracy unfolds while a jury sequestered in a hotel decides the fate of the man on trial for the murder of the governor's young son.

Sparkle (2012) - When three Detroit sisters rise to fame as a Motown girl group in the 1960s, their sudden success creates conflict that rips their lives apart.

Ender's Game (2013) - Talented preteen children, including Andrew "Ender" Wiggin, are trained for battle against the alien insectoid Formics ("Buggers") invading Earth

Mud (2012) - Two Mississippi teens meet peculiar drifter Mud and get caught up in his web of tall tales about lost love, crimes of passion and bounty hunters.

Dallas Buyers Club (2013) - Refusing to accept a death sentence from his doctor after being diagnosed with AIDS in 1986, Ron Woodroof smuggles medications from abroad.

Act of Valour (2012) - An elite squad of Navy SEALs is tasked with rescuing a kidnapped CIA agent from a lethal terrorist cell

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A tepid warning off of Ender's Game btw, for those fans of the book who missed the adaptation. It was made in the YA gold rush and so stripped out a lot of the harder edge of the book for that PG13 rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Been waiting for Superstore Season 6 🤗

Archer (2021) Season 12 also added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just checked; yes Season 12 is there on Netflix IE... but not Season 11. LOL; ah Netflix, sometimes you crazy.

Not Netflix but I think someone was asking recently about one of the Danish shows, maybe? Anyway, I was having a browse through TG4's new player and it's got The Bridge, The Killing, and Borgen.

They've also got Steve McQueen's Small Axe series, which aired on BBC last year. There's 4 of them up at the moment, but I think the first one they showed only has a day or so left to watch. If anyone's interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was thinking with the popularity of things like Squid Game, I'm surprised Netflix hasn't got Battle Royale.

On another note, when was the Games section added to the app or have I just been blind and not noticed before now?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

No but, no, no but - what the why?

I need an explanation, I googled it and found nothing, somebody please talk to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

I enjoyed Hellbound. .....

is there a new series coming..????

It's been on mine for a few weeks. Haven't tried any of them yet.

A California Christmas: City Lights (2021) - A year after their romance took root, Callie and Joseph are leaving the ranch for family business in San Francisco -- with wedding bells on the horizon.

Puff: Wonders of the Reef (2021) - A baby pufferfish travels through a wondrous microworld full of fantastical creatures as he searches for a home on the Great Barrier Reef.

The Salisbury Poisonings (2020) Season 1 - The Novichok poisoning of Russian double agent Sergei Skripal and his daughter sends ripples through Salisbury and the lives of its townsfolk.

Hizia (2021) (French) - As the police close in on a flustered stranger at Louise's building, he hastily hands her his most precious possession: his infant daughter..

Aggretsuko (2020) Seasons 4 (Japanese) - Frustrated with her thankless office job, Retsuko the Red Panda copes with her daily struggles by belting out death metal karaoke after work.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Olive00

I’m watching “the Crown”. The series is very beautiful and well-shot. When you look, you get colossal aesthetic pleasure. But the feeling of chewing gum does not leave, as if the director is afraid to overload the viewer's brain. Instead of showing historical action (what is happening in the world, behind-the-scenes wars, etc.) - one clear chewed line. Long scenes with kisses, silence of the main characters, etc. Therefore, the impression is very ambiguous. It would be cool if the entire series showed world history through the prism of the life of Elizabeth Il. But alas, no. Everything is provided for this story to last 10 seasons. Otherwise I liked Churchill and the scenery very much. 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

id recommend the salisbury poisonings

I'm 3 years behind the curve but finally got around to watching The Haunting of Hill House (off the back of the excellent Midnight Mass). Absolutely love it: creepy with some well-placed, expertly crafted scares; while the human drama keeps things grounded. Just finished episode 6 and was a fabulous hour of television. It was more like watching a stage-play in both format and execution: the "1 take" has become a bit of an empty digital gimmick these days, but episode 6 would be a good example of where it can work to heighten the drama. With the camera never cutting, only ever orbiting and following key characters, every ounce of emotion felt properly churned out, visceral. An amazing bit of TV.

The Witcher: Season 2  (2021) Based on the best-selling fantasy series of books, The Witcher is a tale of fate and family. It tells the story of the intertwined destinies of three individuals in the vast world of The Continent, where humans, elves, witchers, gnomes, and monsters battle to survive and thrive, and where good and evil is not easily identified.Convinced Yennefer’s life was lost at the Battle of Sodden, Season 2 of The Witcher sees Geralt of Rivia brings Princess Cirilla to the safest place heknows, his childhood home of Kaer Morhen. While the Continent’s kings, elves, humans and demons strive for supremacy outside its walls, he must protect the girl from something far more dangerous: the mysterious power she possesses inside.

Waves (2019) - A tragic death upends the world of a successful suburban family, leaving profound grief in its wake -- but also the possibility for new love

Psalm 21 (2009) (Swedish) - A priest begins to question his religious beliefs when he journeys to the Norrland forests to learn the truth behind his father's mysterious death.

Making a Mayor (2017) (German) - This documentary profiles Klaus Abberger, a "mayor-maker" who won over 70 percent of the 150 election campaigns he worked on in Germany.

Ronaldo Vs Messi: Face Off! (2018) - Experts and fans engage in one of soccer's biggest debates to determine the greatest player in recent history: Ronaldo or Messi?.

5 Seconds Of Summer: So Perfect (2014) - These four Aussies aren't your normal boy band. This documentary follows the rise of pop punk rockers 5 Seconds of Summer and their wild life on tour.

45 Years (2015) - As Kate and Geoff prepare to celebrate their 45th anniversary, shocking news reopens old wounds and reveals painful secrets about Geoff's past..

How the Beatles Changed the World (2017) - Interviews and rare archival footage illuminate how the Beatles' influence over music and culture continues to be felt around the world.

27: Gone Too Soon (2017) - Explore the circumstances surrounding the tragic deaths at 27 of Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Brian Jones, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain and Amy Winehouse.

Fast & Furious Spy Racers (2021) Season 6 - A government agency recruits teen driver Tony Toretto and his thrill-seeking friends to infiltrate a criminal street racing circuit as undercover spies

Added

• Advertisement

I watched The Salisbury Poisonings last year when it was on BBC. It was quite early in the first wave of covid and lockdowns and I remember thinking there was a lot of stuff in the show that would have felt a bit extreme and scary if it had come out a few months before, but felt very familiar with all the covid guidelines. Anne Marie Duff's character is basically NPHET, if I remember correctly. It's definitely worth a watch.

Advertisement